I Survived A Zombie Apocalypse. BBC 3 10pm.

Comments

• AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Last night's was better. Still not great, but better.
    They introduced more imaginative tasks and showed one or two more than previous episodes.

I wish they didn't have those stupid idents which just feel like dead time. You have the one with the presenter where he serves no function other than to apparently be there to try to be funny, then you have the pif animated films, which also appear to be there to make you laugh, and then assorted shots of zombies that are obviously filmed at a different time from when the 'action' is taking place.
    But through all these bits you're just wanting the show to get on with itself.

I quite liked the bit where the guy had to do a chicken run through a load of chained zombies. This was more like it and more of what I was hoping the show would be like overall. He was warned very specifically several times that he had to take his time navigating through the zombies, but nope he wasn't listening and thought he'd play the hero instead. He tried to make a mad dash for it jumping onto a bed then getting cornered.:D

The problem is that whoever dies seems like a completely arbitrary random decision and whoever the show chooses to die. There doesn't seem to be any indication that this is a real game of skill and intelligence where the contestant's own ability is a genuine reason why they live or die.
  • Tt88Tt88 Posts: 6,827
    Forum Member
    I disgaree but of course its completely based on yesterdays ep as i suppose ep one and two are now gone from iplayer!

The show doesnt seem to choose who dies and who survives, the group nominate however many people it is for the task and then its up to them. Yesterday for example the first man survived because he kept him cool and blended in. He didnt lose character when the zombies were in his face! The girl survived because she hid from view of the zombies, and planned her timing well to avoid getting caught.

The man who died couldve survived had he followed the instructions and taken his time. They made it clear that there was a safe route if he thought about it. He instead opted to run so died!

I think it easily couldve been all of them died or all of them survived. If the first man had gotten scared and sworn, ran or just dropped the zombie imitation then the zombies were probably under instruction to kill him. Likewise the girl coupdve died had she frozen and hid for too long as the zombies were gradually blocking her escape route.

Just out of interest what is the prize? Is there one winner or are they just trying to stay in until rescue day?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 19
    Forum Member
    I found this by accident last night, so today watched 3 episodes on demand. I quite enjoy it and getting better because of the inside bickering among the survivors.

I too think they should have a weapon. They could have used something like a paint gun, the paint light blue and had to hit the zombie in the head for them to die.

They win a holiday if they get to the end
  • Doctor_WibbleDoctor_Wibble Posts: 26,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What's that thing on Sara's head? :eek: How can nobody be seeing it? Wait no hang on that's her hair combined with a weird irregular reflection from the metal behind :blush:

Was Jonas expecting the car to be occupied? He must have suspected, surely. Jackie has obviously nicked a few cars in her time, what with knowing how to kill the alarm :p unless under the bonnet there was a big sign saying 'well done this is the off switch' :D though I think that would be fair enough for someone looking in the right place.

The argument between Amena and Sara was quite funny to start with but then I got annoyed that nobody had shouted at them to STFU...

I thought this one was a bit better because someone ended up chomped because of not heeding the warnings, and the 'blending in' needed patience though I think some zombies were starting to get interested but I'm wondering if they were told he had made a proper effort. The stroll through the scaffolding seemed a bit leisurely though needing to hide sort of made up for it.

All the filler is still massively annoying though!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 867
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wish the script writers or whoever would get a grip on their back story. Ashton puts zombie gore (looked like jam, jelly and red dye to me) all over himself and rubs it into his face then lumbers around with his tounge out. Okay not real the virus in the zombies must be able to remain active on dead flesh hence the one touch and dead bit so therefore he is now infected and brought it back into the base. Then Megan and Kavon dump the food they collected before leaving. So what was the point of going in the first place.>:(

Plus according to the 'army' the virus makes the zombies blind at end stage so surely all the zombies should be blind by now so have to rely on hearing and smell to detect prey. I know this isn't real but if you want to play then your back story needs to stand up and this doesn't.:confused:

I'll be interested to see what impact the three new players, survivors, lunch snacks, will have on the main group. After all in 'real life' would you willing share your limited stores and space with a new group who haven't yet proved any value to the 'group'.

Equally everyone is too clean. Six months post zombie they should be smelly and scruffy not clean and tidy and certainly not all that healthy due to diet issues and having to sleep rough and flee for your life.

I think what they should do if they plan a second series (hope they don't) is have two real 'actors' playing security officers who 'protect' the group group at different times. For example they go on certain missions but can't go on others due to having to protecting the base and repairing things. This would mean the group would have to decide when to use them to protect people on dangerous missions and use their limited ammo (paintballs etc.) During the game the officers stimulate the group to look for food, medicine etc. without a direct link to the outside except limited contact so it doesn't feel so much as if they are being led by the nose all the time. Also dump Greg James and the animated joke segiments they really don't work.

You also need people who are (I don't want to sound unkind but) not such a complete waste of skin! I don't care about sexual preference or if you changed gender or lost a limb I would just like people with a higher IQ and at least sufficent brain power to think before becoming a buffet lunch.

Anyone who made it to six month post end of the world will be fairly tough and bright. Not always the strong hit them first type but someone with the inner strength to get the job done and survive. I know everyone fighting or sitting around comparing body art is fun but why doesn't anyone guard the door when the players are on a mission and let them back in. Why didn't they properly search the base the moment they got in. Sort the place out more and generally use common sense to collect rain water, ration the food and generally do the things they would have needed to do to get this far. E.g. the crate with the first lot of supplies would have fitted throught the double doors. They could have dragged it in taken it apart and used it to block the windows in the food hall thus limiting what the zombies can see and react to.:D

I know it is only a game and the players are not really commited to playing it for real but a few changes and some more realistic thinking could make this a really enjoyable show.:p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ... Then Megan and Kavon dump the food they collected before leaving. So what was the point of going in the first place.>:(
    I had wondered, I thought it might be one of those 'no it only looked like they left them behind', 'a trick of the light from the backpack colour scheme and streetlights' moments. Or do we invoke the possibility of the dreaded elf'n'safety regs stopping them running around wearing the things?

Just checked, all three had their backpacks when they were in that 'holding room' and only one bothered to wear his on the way out, and I still don't like those leisurely strolls past crowds of zombies to reach the obstacle courses. At least *pretend* like there's ravening hordes of flesh-eaters nearby...!

As first attempts go, a zombie-themed BB house plus missions might sound good but in spite of more stuff to do this time I still don't feel like we are getting an hour's worth, partly because the filler is so obvious for what it is.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 505
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just watched an episode - that's one hour of my life I'll never get back
  • Dora_JarDora_Jar Posts: 901
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought I'd have a look in. Gutted Ive just lost half an hour of my time. Didn't finish it.

Nobody seemed to be any panic to move their body and looked as if they were mingling at some random house party.

I'm no actor, nor have I been through a zombie apocolypse, but surely people would be trying to save their lives with a bit more frantic, rushed manic behaviour?! Something with a bit more 'I'd like to survive the night' behaviour.

P.s I live near Sawston, Cambridge and I've never met Mr Manly Man. 😜
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well at least some thought went into tonight's episode

It would appear that the last of the newbies will turn out to be infected and may her mission will be to try and infect some of the others
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So... top quality vending machine wine or zombie preventing antidote? Decisions, decisions...
    I don't quite get why they called back to ask the question, you went there to get the antibiotics, get the fckn antibiotics! Wait no, it wouldn't be fair...

Presumably next week we get the bickering about the £4.50, is there an expense claim form or something, I had to spend my money for your medicine god that's so selfish etc...

Was I the only one thinking the post-intestine heaving might be a precursor to a fresh outbreak, or did I just fall for the cunning ploy? I can quite understand the stuff not being palatable so I wasn't entirely sure - but nobody seemed suspicious, they should have been put in isolation, or at least made to sit separately for a bit.

But there is hope for a bit of panic in the enclosed space, will they have to abandon their comfy chairs?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Right, so you can get zombie intestines in your mouth, but not be infected. However if you merely touch a mobile phone you will be infected.
    What sense does that make?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Right, so you can get zombie intestines in your mouth, but not be infected.
    Yes but you have to watch out for food poisoning from uncooked sausages :p
    I'd guess the reasoning is they stop being infectious once dead?
    However if you merely touch a mobile phone you will be infected.
    That's a truism! If someone bumps into me in the street you can guarantee they are at least a 'carrier', if not the stage beyond that, slowly shuffling along only dimly aware of what's around them, snarling at anyone daring to interrupt their trance...
    What sense does that make?
    None! And stop being so picky :p

They seemed to be less casual this week when out and about, perhaps someone behind the scenes had words?
    Forum Member
    Theres a few people who have commented about the one touch and your dead thing not fitting in with the rest of the story.

I would hazard a guess that the makers of the show had to make compromises. Obviously no health and safety team are going to permit a show where you get turned into a zombie or die if someone bites you!

Also having the rule that a single touch means youre out of the game means the contestants are more inclined to "run" rather than defend themselves. If the zombies had to tackle you to the ground in order to kill you then maybe theres the risk of contestants fighting back and someone getting accidently injured.

Im loving the show despite the faults! Im guessing that rather than the new lady being a contestant with a secret mission type thing, shes an actress. Theres no way one of those survivors wouldve made it alive running through the hoarde screaming! The zombies seemed to ignore her even though she ran through the middle of them. Her video also came across differently to the others as it focused entirely on her dependency on technology.

I think it would be really unfair on her of she was a real contestant as theres no way the others wont notice her infected symptoms! Im looking forward to next week when her symptoms develop and im interested in how the group will deal with her!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Okay wasn't going to post but AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!

This makes no sense!

Zombies are dead, okay that is reasonable (as far as the idea goes), they are infected so the virus is active in dead tissue so sucking on zombie 'gore' will infect you. Basic science. So Ashton and Amena you're infected please join the herd.
    End game of infection blindness hence the herd should all have black puss filled eyed and rely on smell and hearing. And point three sod running just clobber the infected with a length of steel pipe their zombie routines suck bum!

And the whole thing about the wine or the meds, shouldn't even have been the slightest pause plus it's a glass cabinet just smash the ruddy thing and take both! And then they are so happy to have a bottle of vino after nearly being sniffed to death by the infected. I'd have needed 20 lbs of tinned food and a M16 to feel better myself.

Tasha staggers through the zombie 'herd' screaming and all they do is look confused, she doesn't have a backpack and her 'story' has more warning lights than a reactor on meltdown. I'd have clubbed her to death ten seconds after she turned up.

Come on folks please for the love of the walking dead, George A Romero and the whole universe let the zombies in and end it now because if these twits are the best we get after the end of the world then forget it and let the cockroaches take over.

I feel better now.

Okay for the sake of H&S give them anti zombie smoke bombs or paintball guns for defence. Still no contact or infected but don't let them cover themselves in bargin bin rotten meat as that makes no sense at all.

I know just a TV show and not real but some basic 'normal' reactions would be nice. I think that is where my earlier idea of two security guard 'actors' to help drive the action would have helped to add some sense of realism. Because they could drive up the tension and start to work the minds of the other's that they need to be nervous not just having a sit around and a cup of tea while players are sent out on missions.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Okay wasn't going to post but AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!
    Calm down calm down! I think we (including me) all need to remember the show will have its own rules rather than sticking to 'established' standards which in themselves have a degree of inconsistency anyway.
    Still no contact or infected but don't let them cover themselves in bargin bin rotten meat as that makes no sense at all.
    I actually felt they went a little OTT with the offal facewash.

On a complete digression here, I managed to do my own gory special effects yesterday.
    A jar of salsa sauce was refusing to open so I had to lever off the lid - one 'schlop' type noise later, the lid flew off, taking half the contents with it. The kitchen was thusly somewhat redecorated, and I was left spattered with red lumpy sauce, holding a screwdriver, and I really looked the part! If it had still been close enough to school chucking-out time I would have been seriously tempted to use the outside tap instead, and I think the still-dazed WTF expression would have been quite an asset...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It just would nice if there could be at least a small degree of shall we say sense in the whole thing.

I know they had half a ton of unused 'In The Flesh' zombie make up left and needed to give the extra's work but this is worse than the time my children thought I was turning into a zombie (I had a tick bite and was really ill) and where discussing over my hospital bed what they would need to hit me with to put me down.

Anyway on a related note at least the Walking Dead makes sense and sticks to the rules that we generally accept it these situations.

It's not that I'm really letting this wind me up but this is so bad it's not even good. And the idea could work.

If the preview of next week's episode is anything to go by someone else is going to be main course in a zombie buffet. And Tasha starts to get sore eyes and is tired.

If they don't chain her to a radiator at that point these idiots deserve to be eaten.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyway on a related note at least the Walking Dead makes sense and sticks to the rules that we generally accept it these situations.
    True, a few more consistencies wouldn't have hurt. Also if e.g. the research lab had made crates of ecch-flavoured zombie prevention medicine (now to be retrieved from various locations) they could have had everyone going through a slightly more credible decontamination procedure.
    Not wanting to overdo it this could easily be the current stand on one leg, adding wash face and hands, drink a carton of magic antidote before being allowed back in to the safe room. And if someone forgets, they *all* have to go and do it.

I'm just thankful it's not as hopelessly bad as having sparkly vampires!

Yes it does have potential* - if they do a second series there absolutely has to be splurge guns and/or custard grenades and maybe a bit more free-form with better encouragement not to sit around with the tea and biccies. From a production point of view possibly rather trickier though.

And nobody uses chains these days, it's all cable ties and sharp suits :p

* 'having potential' not always being an entirely complimentary remark...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And nobody uses chains these days, it's all cable ties and sharp suits :p

In my day it was silk ropes and peacock feathers, 50 shades of blah has alot to answer four:D

Anyway back on topic. There is no real sense of danger or urgency to the show. While the mugs, I mean the survivors, are doing missions surely everyone else should be busy in the base after all survival is more than just an easy chair and cup of instant coffee.

Hence my idea of in game actors to drive the show forward by creating the sense of urgency and almost 'reality' needed to make this more interesting and less of a wait and see who gets eaten next.

I must admit I am only sticking with it to see what stupid error results in each of the remaining death.

I like the deaf chap can't be easy getting through a zombie outbreak with hearing let alone without it. So I hope he has either a really good death (I.e. gets eaten saving someone else) or makes it.
    Forum Member
    I quite like the missions. I wonder what happened when they collected rain water themselves?

I guessed that the missions are intended for the purpose of zombies. The missions happen at times set by the producers when the zombies are in full make up and in place, no doubt directed what to do.

If the show didnt have missions and survivors had to work things out for themselves then it wouldnt be as interesting. The mission with the tin can web for example wouldnt have happened as the survivors probably wouldve broken down the door to the vending machine so missing out the zombie room.

Also you would have to factor in the cost of having the full amount of zombies dressed and ready 24/7 incase the survivors decide to go out at midnight when everyones gone home!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Very good points and the main driving force in how the show has been set up which is were the American series 'The Colony' works better as it allows the players to do the task as they think it should be done with freedom to throw in a wild card at will with possible attacks from 'gangs' who may or may not turn up which is far more surprising as you may not be attacked for a couple of days then Mad Max style bikers turn up and all hell breaks loose or random looters or a sudden new problem such as illness etc. breaking out.

Or maybe I just want to see if modern humans have what it takes to work together and survive these days in a 'realist' situation.
  • Dora_JarDora_Jar Posts: 901
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought I'd catch up to see if it had improved at all from the first episode. All I've discovered is how patronising it is towards the viewer. It would be good to be able to work things out for ourselves rather than the actors or army having to explain their every move.
  • danlrwilliamsdanlrwilliams Posts: 412
    Forum Member
    Anyone still watching the show? Have a real dislike to the show and the whole copied format of several other shows as metioned by other posters but I just can't stop watching no matter how terrible.

It seems as if this is just the beginning of the druel we will be faced to watch on BBC3 when it moves online.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good job on the quick-change in the caravan, that one was inevitable though. It might have made sense for them to take two backpacks on that run and use both rather than fill just the one, shame there's no extra points for tactical thinking.

Well predicted by the survivors on the water run - though with all those shopping trolleys lying about and supposedly no zombies nearby it didn't have to be restricted to what could be carried. A heavily-laden trolley isn't anything like as noisy, but there we go.

I liked the group bonding exercise of all piling into the car, don't bother opening the door, just dive in and *then* open the door! So am I going to have to run? I'm going to have to run, aren't I? Do I really have to run? Will I be running? I need to stop for 10 minutes asking if I am meant to be running when I've just told I need to make a run for it... D'oh! Unless that's because Sara knew she was going to have to go first and knew that live bait doesn't usually last very long...

And they all keep putting their shoes on the seats, it's just not on you know and the laughter is terribly unsporting.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    At the caravan with the walkie talkies. The army voice at the other end gives the three survivors on the task direct instructions about what each one of them has to do.
    .....Including Nick, who it was revealed last week can't hear because he's deaf and relies on communication through being able to read people's lips.
  • danlrwilliamsdanlrwilliams Posts: 412
    Forum Member
    Good job on the quick-change in the caravan, that one was inevitable though. It might have made sense for them to take two backpacks on that run and use both rather than fill just the one, shame there's no extra points for tactical thinking.

Well predicted by the survivors on the water run - though with all those shopping trolleys lying about and supposedly no zombies nearby it didn't have to be restricted to what could be carried. A heavily-laden trolley isn't anything like as noisy, but there we go.

I liked the group bonding exercise of all piling into the car, don't bother opening the door, just dive in and *then* open the door! So am I going to have to run? I'm going to have to run, aren't I? Do I really have to run? Will I be running? I need to stop for 10 minutes asking if I am meant to be running when I've just told I need to make a run for it... D'oh! Unless that's because Sara knew she was going to have to go first and knew that live bait doesn't usually last very long...

And they all keep putting their shoes on the seats, it's just not on you know and the laughter is terribly unsporting.
    At the caravan with the walkie talkies. The army voice at the other end gives the three survivors on the task direct instructions about what each one of them has to do.
    .....Including Nick, who it was revealed last week can't hear because he's deaf and relies on communication through being able to read people's lips.

Ah excellent! I was starting to think I was the last surviving viewer of the show. There's so many continuity errors within the whole show it's what makes it truly shocking.

I can't bare watching the show any longer but I must continue to see how much more laughable it can get.

Really makes me wonder if it's actually a team of monkeys running the BBC and BBC Three in particular. It's as if they're playing Kerplunk with the BBC and therefore are gradually removing certain elements to see if it will still be standing at the end or if we're simply left with a pile of rubble (no puns intended - i.e. BBC Television Centre)