The Ark BBC1 Coming Soon.

koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
Forum Member
✭✭✭✭
From the trailers it looks terrible. Not as bad as the film 'Noah' but worse than 'Evan Almighty'.

Comments

• KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    Shame it is from the BBC, praising their own offering.

I think it will bomb.

I hope so. Might be worth watching for a laugh though.
  • DemizdeeroolzDemizdeeroolz Posts: 3,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hope it doesn't bomb, I like seeing Joanne Whalley back on tv, she was good in Wolf Hall.
  • Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    is it a one off
  • A.D.PA.D.P Posts: 10,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think viewers will flood to it.
  • DarthFaderDarthFader Posts: 3,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    is it a one off

There is a sequel in the planing stages where after Noah drops the animals off he picks up the worlds Kings and Queens. The working title is The Ark Royal ...
  • Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Please don't put any spoilers in the thread. I don't want to know how it ends
  • Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hope it doesn't bomb, I like seeing Joanne Whalley back on tv, she was good in Wolf Hall.
    Might sink without trace
  • lordOfTimelordOfTime Posts: 22,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm really looking forward to it!

The Ark is one of the most retold biblical stories!

I thought one of the biggest omissions from the recent "The Bible" series was the story of Joseph and his brothers! I wonder if they'll do that next!
  • PunksNotDeadPunksNotDead Posts: 21,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How did they dispose of all the animal shit?
  • ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Joanne Whalley as his steadfast wife Emmie"

Emmie? :confused: Noah's wife is famously not named in the Bible, but you'dve thought they could've come up with something a bit more biblical.

Flood myths are common throughout the world - archeologists now think they are related to sea level rises after the melting of the ice age glaciers. Specifically the biblical one is likely due to the catastophic flooding of the Black sea. Would be nice if that could be woven into the tale.

I may give it a watch - I was impressed with the Nativity from a couple of years back.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 867
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There was a documentary a few years ago on National Geographic suggesting that the oral tradition of the flooding of either the Pillars of Hercules or the Black Sea was the link to the Atlantis myth as recounted by Plato.

Amazing to think that the ancient pre-history world could be passed down though centuries in a oral version changing a little here and there and end up one of our most famous events recounted from many different angels in both religious and popular mythical text.

I'm suprised the BBC don't update it to Sci Fi and have global warming as the flood trigger and have then blasting off into space with gay penguins and a veggie lion:o.

I remember in RE class (a hundred years ago when we still thought Christianity was a good idea:() one of the lads pushing our teacher over the edge by asking if the Bible was true then we where all committing incest because first everyone came from Adam and Eve then after the flood they all came from Noah. Poor chap almost had a fit trying to explain that one. (Children can be so cruel sometimes:D)
  • Sweaty Job RotSweaty Job Rot Posts: 2,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shame it is from the BBC, praising their own offering.

I think it will bomb.

It may sink without trace, it certainly won't be the boat that rocks the ratings..

I think it has Noah chance and the only time it will be a hit is when it's heading to the rocks.
  • Sweaty Job RotSweaty Job Rot Posts: 2,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lordOfTime wrote: »
    I'm really looking forward to it!

The Ark is one of the most retold biblical stories!

I thought one of the biggest omissions from the recent "The Bible" series was the story of Joseph and his brothers! I wonder if they'll do that next!

The bible is bullshit for the stupid.
  • DarthFaderDarthFader Posts: 3,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I can think of worse books to base my life on even if it isn't true. I happen to believe it is and I may not be Stephen Hawking but I am not stupid ;-)
  • big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ooh dear. It sounds a shocker
  • mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I smell the whiff of internationals sales.
  • Mairi_CameronMairi_Cameron Posts: 350
    Forum Member
    I'm struggling to think of many worse books to base your life on!

Biblical adaptations always make me nervous, the premise is so ludicrous that it renders the whole thing ridiculous. But if they've changed it from a global flood to just a more believable localised flood it could perhaps be ok, I thought the trailer looked alright.
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm struggling to think of many worse books to base your life on!

Biblical adaptations always make me nervous, the premise is so ludicrous that it renders the whole thing ridiculous. But if they've changed it from a global flood to just a more believable localised flood it could perhaps be ok, I thought the trailer looked alright.
    I thought Exodus Kings and Gods was a good adaption of the Exodus story.

It certainly tried to explain how the plagues could happen in real life, even if it was a stretch in terms of credibility.
  • daicolldaicoll Posts: 434
    Forum Member
    Reminds of the joke "What did Noah say when he heard the rain" ? .......Ark
  • fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds interesting I saw Noah was just an OK film still got to see Exodus: Gods and Kings to so could watch that after this maybe or before.
  • PerfectMarkPerfectMark Posts: 297
    Forum Member
    I thought The Naivety was pretty good, so the BBC can do good religious dramas if they put their minds to it. So I have some hope for this.

It won't have to do much to be better than the recent Noah movie though. Even if you just take it as a movie that is based loosely on Noah, there are a number of much better recent examples, like 2012 (which in itself wasn't a brilliant movie ether).
  • lordOfTimelordOfTime Posts: 22,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The book or the Tv series?
  • Fibromite59Fibromite59 Posts: 22,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shrike wrote: »
    "Joanne Whalley as his steadfast wife Emmie"

Emmie? :confused: Noah's wife is famously not named in the Bible, but you'dve thought they could've come up with something a bit more biblical.

Yes, Emmie doesn't sound quite right does it? You would think they would call her Joan wouldn't you? (Joan of Ark, groan. :D)