Options

Should All Social Security 'Benefts' Be Means Tested?

Ash_M1Ash_M1 Posts: 18,703
Forum Member
✭✭
Should all social security 'benefits' be means tested?

I am thinking pensions, pensoner benfits like winter fuel allowance, working tax credits, child tax credits...

My own view is that they should be...especially as £200 billion is spent a year.

Comments

• Options
    paulschapmanpaulschapman Posts: 35,536
    Forum Member
    Ash_M1 wrote: »
    Should all social security 'benefits' be means tested?

I am thinking pensions, pensoner benfits like winter fuel allowance, working tax credits, child tax credits...

My own view is that they should be...especially as £200 billion is spent a year.

Pensions have been paid for throughout someone's life, but the other benefits you mention there is a case to means test them, certainly at the top end.
  • Options
    Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How much will it cost - no use spending £5 to save £1
  • Options
    Fixit AgainFixit Again Posts: 1,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Something needs to be done to reduce the massive welfare bill. Trimming the abuse and the unnecessary is a good place to start. Simplifying the system will also make it easier to identify unnecessary excess and possible abuse.

Means testing can get complex and is expensive in itself, so can be difficult to implement effectively.
  • Options
    worzilworzil Posts: 4,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Something needs to be done to reduce the massive welfare bill. Trimming the abuse and the unnecessary is a good place to start. Simplifying the system will also make it easier to identify unnecessary excess and possible abuse.

Means testing can get complex and is expensive in itself, so can be difficult to implement effectively.

I don't know but I would think that before you granted them there must be some forms to be filled in to prove you are eligible.
    If that's the case then they are means tested.
  • Options
    Mike_1101Mike_1101 Posts: 8,012
    Forum Member
    Pensions are NOT "welfare benefits", people have paid for them through NI contributions and by paying in to occupational schemes.

What about "contributions based" JSA?

Tax credits are not handed out like confetti either, you have to supply income details.
  • Options
    tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member

Alot of benefits are already means tested, so all that would needto be done is to extend it to all benefits. And if as you say trimming the abuse and unnecessary then means tested fits into this area.
  • Options
    BrokenArrowBrokenArrow Posts: 21,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pensions aren't a benefit, they are a paid for entitlement.

If you want to change that model, then I am happy to stop paying any NI contributions and use only private pensions.
  • Options
    bspacebspace Posts: 14,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If the aim is to save money then the reverse would be better. There is a huge and almost pointless infrastructure of testing which could be replaced by a minimum wage for all with claw back through tapered taxation for those in work.

Not entirely free of bureaucracy but most of this could be done through the existing taxation bureaucracy.

There are two sorts of state pension only one of which is a "Social Security benefit" and is means tested already.
  • Options
    welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If you want to change that model, then I am happy to stop paying any NI contributions and use only private pensions.

Ditto can I have my money back please
  • Options
    Forum Member

Well tell governments that because they inclued pensions in the figures of welfare spending.
  • Options
    jassijassi Posts: 7,895
    Forum Member

Before embarking on any means testing, it would be necessary to identify and quantify what the actual abuse was.

Perhaps better to improve the social situation that makes benefit necessary in the first place, thereby removing the need for the benefit.
  • Options
    Slarti BartfastSlarti Bartfast Posts: 6,607
    Forum Member

Aren't they all?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    There have been various "basic income" proposals over the year. This is a current proposal.

http://www.citizensincome.org/
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Aren't they all?

No, there are "contributions based" benefits, funded from your NI contributions. After your entitlement ends you go on to "income based" ie means tested.
  • Options
    Mark_Jones9Mark_Jones9 Posts: 12,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Contributions based benefits should remain non means tested.
    People who have paid in should be covered for short-term unemployment while they are actively seeking employment between jobs, long-term inability to work due to ill health or disability, old age pension.

If you just have means tested benefits most people will end up paying out for private insurance and whatever means tested safety net remains over the years will wither and die because most people will see those reliant on it as feckless people who could not be bothered to make adequate provision for themselves.

I do not want to end up with a system like the USA or worse. With the poor advised to dumpster dive to supplement their benefits so they do not go hungry.
  • Options
    paulschapmanpaulschapman Posts: 35,536
    Forum Member
    One answer might be to have a guaranteed minimum income and reduce the lower tax bracket by that amount - do this and you do not have to means test it, and you ensure that everyone has a basic minimum. (see http://basicincome.org.uk/reasons-support-basic-income/).

The trouble with means testing is that it creates distortions around the point that the benefit reduces. It is for this reason that under the original tax credit regime - the poorest were looking at marginal tax rates in excess of 90%.

That said there really is no reason why someone on twice the average wage should get one sodding penny of benefits (excluding pensions which have at least been paid for out of a lifetime of working and contributions).
  • Options
    Aurora13Aurora13 Posts: 30,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Quite. There are many who would quite happily stop paying NI and put that amount into a private pension scheme.
  • Options
    Aurora13Aurora13 Posts: 30,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tim59 wrote: »
    Well tell governments that because they inclued pensions in the figures of welfare spending.

Not on the information supplied from HMRC last year. State Pension were shown separately to welfare.
  • Options
    80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do not want to end up with a system like the USA or worse. With the poor advised to dumpster dive to supplement their benefits so they do not go hungry.

Just imagine the smirk on Iain Duncan-Smith's face if that happened here... As he sits down to another £39 breakfast on expenses.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Aurora13 wrote: »
    Not on the information supplied from HMRC last year. State Pension were shown separately to welfare.

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CCIQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.theguardian.com%2Fnews%2Fdatablog%2F2013%2Fjan%2F08%2Fuk-benefit-welfare-spending&ei=7shIVZ5bwdJopO6A6AU&usg=AFQjCNF7PThBCsgCgHVar48EWyMMFpKm8w&sig2=gAnAlK53JzW9N9K0nPmQGQ&bvm=bv.92291466,d.d2s&cad=rja. Good break down here. Ask people where that money goes and the assumptions might be on unemployment or incapacity benefit. In fact, 47% of UK benefit spending goes on state pensions of £74.22bn a year, more than the £48.2bn the UK spends on servicing its debt.
  • Options
    gummy mummygummy mummy Posts: 26,600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

A good place to start could be to make sure no employer is giving work to an unemployed people and paying them cash in hand (tax free) while they are claiming JSA. And to make sure that unemployed people don't work for themselves and get payments that they don't declare.
  • Options
    gummy mummygummy mummy Posts: 26,600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Well pensions may not be means tested but state pension are paid based on how many years you worked. Like a lot of wives at the time I stopped working when I had my first child in 1970 to become a housewife and mother,and I never worked again, because of this I do not receive anywhere near the full state pension.
  • Options
    AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes they should.
  • Options
    Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aurora13 wrote: »

Why would HMRC be involved with benefits?
  • Options
    MattNMattN Posts: 2,534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ethel_Fred wrote: »
    Why would HMRC be involved with benefits?

HMRC run Child Benefit and Tax credits