Who do you think deserves an Honour ?

wbmkkwbmkk Posts: 161
Forum Member
I think June Whitfield deserves to be made a Dame

She has been in showbiz for since the 1950's (according to Wikipedia)

Since being on the radio show 'Take It From Here' with Jimmy Edwards, she has appeared in radio, television and of course several Carry On films.

Can you think of a better candidate ?

Comments

• comedy89comedy89 Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Angela Lansbury has been acting in British films since the 1940's and is still going strong on boradway with the possibilty of returning to the West End in 2011 in her 80's. Julie Andrews and Liz Taylor were made a dame despite the fact their residence is the US, so why not Angela who has contributed more to the entertainment industry in the last ten years than Julie Andrews.
  • lexi22lexi22 Posts: 16,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree re June Whitfield. Also Joanna Lumley for both her contribution to the arts and her longtime support for the Gurkhas.
  • DomestiquesDomestiques Posts: 1,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you are in a job, you get paid for doing that job, regardless of the length of time in said job you deserve, at best a 3% annual payrise, you do not deserve an OBE, CBE, Damehood, Knighthood etc. Thats in effect what 70% of the honours list are getting it for, here let us reward you for doing what you are paid to do in the first place.
  • lexi22lexi22 Posts: 16,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you are in a job, you get paid for doing that job, regardless of the length of time in said job you deserve, at best a 3% annual payrise, you do not deserve an OBE, CBE, Damehood, Knighthood etc. Thats in effect what 70% of the honours list are getting it for, here let us reward you for doing what you are paid to do in the first place.

Yes, agree, it should be for services above and beyond what their job 'responsibility' is.

But I do think some people in the eg. arts deserve recognition in terms of how well they represent their industry - actors, actresses, directors who have, through their work, achieved international recognition and boosted the British Film Industry's profile and output. And with some actors/actresses, the pleasure they bring to millions of people is in itself worthy of recognition.
  • ValderyValdery Posts: 4,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Michael Caine...if only to shut him up about wanting and deserving one. ;):D
  • 21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,506
    Forum Member
    Julie Walters should become a Dame.
    An MBE for Stephanie Beacham and something for Paul Weller (not that he'd accept it)
  • Walter NeffWalter Neff Posts: 9,189
    Forum Member
    If anyone deserved a Damehood it is Petula Clark, 78 years old, and over 70 years in the business. For me she is far more talented than Julie Andrews, and a much warmer personality too. I have signed endless petitions for her to be Honored, but they are ignored every year.
  • Iqbal_MIqbal_M Posts: 4,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Murray Walker deserves a Knighthood because I can't think of anybody else who has contributed more to motorsport.
  • Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member
    As mentioned in another thread, Gerry Anderson creator of Thunderbirds and Stingray amongst others. Apart from entertaining a generation with his shows, many of the effects people who started with Anderson went on to work on movies such as Star Wars, Alien, Superman and the Bond films.
  • wbmkkwbmkk Posts: 161
    Forum Member
    If anyone deserved a Damehood it is Petula Clark, 78 years old, and over 70 years in the business. For me she is far more talented than Julie Andrews, and a much warmer personality too. I have signed endless petitions for her to be Honored, but they are ignored every year.

Agreed ! my favourite song is Downtown, of course, sung by Petula
  • LightningIguanaLightningIguana Posts: 21,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My mum.:p
  • IgnazioIgnazio Posts: 18,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lexi22 wrote: »
    I agree re June Whitfield. Also Joanna Lumley for both her contribution to the arts and her longtime support for the Gurkhas.
    Joanna Lumley certainly for her tireless campaign on behalf of the Gurkhas - but what have other nominations on the thread done other than enjoy longevity in a job for which they've been handsomely rewarded.
  • Jen-BJen-B Posts: 3,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ignazio wrote: »
    Joanna Lumley certainly for her tireless campaign on behalf of the Gurkhas - but what have other nominations on the thread done other than enjoy longevity in a job for which they've been handsomely rewarded.

I wholeheartedly agree with this.

I would also like to add Ronnie Corbett to the list.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Victoria Wood, Julie Walters and J.K. Rowling should all be Dames I think.
  • Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member
    Too late now but it would have been nice if Ronnie Barker had become Sir Ronnie. And Sir Eric and Sir Ernie would have been nice too
  • user1234567user1234567 Posts: 12,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No one. Leave them in the past where they belong.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 346
    Forum Member

Yeah, it's depreciating the honor. Next we'll have Dame Cheryl Cole.
  • user1234567user1234567 Posts: 12,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    trennie wrote: »
    This forum would go into meltdown if that happened :D
  • phasersphasers Posts: 2,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Give them away for free in boxes of Coco Pops
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My Dad - he did 37 years as a PT Fireman and got nowt for it!
    Guy got an MBE or something for 20 years!
  • dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some good calls, here. The unsung heroes and grafters only get a token mention, though, which is a shame.
  • Huffy1968Huffy1968 Posts: 1,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My inner geek says... "Sir Gerry Anderson!" :D
  • Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 80,105
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Agreed...but if they were to be abolished, Kate Bush should be made a Dame first:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    trennie wrote: »

Dame Katie Price? :eek:
    Dame Alex Reid? :D
  • SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree about June Whitfield and Joanna Lumley and that's not just based on being a fan of Absolutely Fabulous! :p