Total Recall ~ early review

Barry PotterBarry Potter Posts: 141
Forum Member
Okay, so I saw Total Recall in Bordeaux last week. I thought it was good, but not great.

Fx wise, it was nicely made with a bladerunner~esque dystopian feel to it.
Everything else, though... :(

The plot was a jumble of new ideas and bits from the original. The Mars setting is gone, and with it much of the surrounding plot. Overall, they seem to have been undecided as to whether to stay jokey like the original, or get more serious. The end result is spectacular but confused and disappointing.

Comments

• Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is the woman with three tits in it though?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24
    Forum Member

Very good...:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,414
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

apparently yes.
    :eek:
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Consider this a divorce!"
  • EVILSPEAKEVILSPEAK Posts: 980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No Michael Ironside = me no watch.
  • JimothyDJimothyD Posts: 8,868
    Forum Member
    It's Michael Bay isn't it? And he's STILL doing that annoying 'camera revolving around the scene' effect.

Why is it that in both Total Recall films, the wife who turns out to be a baddie is fitter than the girl the character ends up allying with? Stone and Beckinsale > the nobodies who play the love interest.
  • teeswolfteeswolf Posts: 3,943
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JimothyD wrote: »
    Why is it that in both Total Recall films, the wife who turns out to be a baddie is fitter than the girl the character ends up allying with? Stone and Beckinsale > the nobodies who play the love interest.

Jessica Biel is in no way a nobody and she is equally as gorgeous as miss Beckinsale.
  • soransoran Posts: 1,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Miss HavershamMiss Haversham Posts: 877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Watched this last night and it was ok, some nice little touches harking back to the original. I would have to watch it again to establish which version I prefer, but I wasn't outraged by the effort, whilst being a fan of Ironside's work (my personal highlight being Starship Troopers!) I think Kate Bekinsales version was quite good, in fact she reminded me a bit of Kristiana Loken from T3 in her persistence. Not Jessica's Biels best performance though, in my opinion
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    EVILSPEAK wrote: »
    No Michael Ironside = me no watch.

i agree. he was great in the original
  • NoseyLouieNoseyLouie Posts: 5,651
    Forum Member
    I shall wait for it to come out on DVD..meh I wasn't overly impressed with the trailer, or the spoilers on here..meh!
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't be bothered. Why spend a tenner to see this when I can just watch the Arnie original on BD at home?
  • Ash_735Ash_735 Posts: 8,493
    Forum Member
    I'm mainly interested in this just for Bryan Cranston, he filmed this between Series of Breaking Bad so am quite curious to how good of a character he plays in it.
  • Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    when i went to see the expendables 2 at the cinema they played an extended trailer for this, and it seemed to go on forever. I felt like I'd seen half the film, and none of looked any good whatsoever.
  • JEFF62JEFF62 Posts: 5,093
    Forum Member
    Muttley76 wrote: »
    when i went to see the expendables 2 at the cinema they played an extended trailer for this, and it seemed to go on forever. I felt like I'd seen half the film, and none of looked any good whatsoever.

Yes I saw the extended trailer before Expendables 2. It called it a Cineworld exclusive with footage only at Cineworld. But yes it did seem to go on for ages and i felt i didng need to see the film as this was like a shortened version of it!
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,395
    Forum Member
    Matt D wrote: »
    I can't be bothered. Why spend a tenner to see this when I can just watch the Arnie original on BD at home?

...which was great entertainment or indeed the excellent original We can remember it for you wholesale story by Philip K Dick which will be repeated on BBC Radio 4 Extra some time: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00ft10t

As with the Planet of the Apes remake, it's so unoriginal to do a second rate remake of a classic original film. In my view, there's only ever one justification for doing a remake and that's if the film was first made in a foreign language.
    Forum Member
    ...and here is the Reader's Digest condensed version of Total Recall 2012 for your visual entertainment: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLAvdQF7Ypo (official trailer)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 674
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    . In my view, there's only ever one justification for doing a remake and that's if the film was first made in a foreign language.

Really? is reading subtitles just too much for you? And following your logic about low quality remakes, have you every actually compared many of the "Hollywood remakes" With the foreign language originals? Talk about low quality remakes....
    Forum Member
    Really? is reading subtitles just too much for you? And following your logic about low quality remakes, have you every actually compared many of the "Hollywood remakes" With the foreign language originals? Talk about low quality remakes....

Now that's being prematurely judgemental because I personally am quite happy with subtitled films, e.g. French, Spanish, etc. and as a speaker of one of the Scandinavian languages, I am very happy to watch content on British TV that originally comes from Sweden, Denmark and Norway (can't understand Icelandic though - far too distantly related). Indeed, I've said before in the Broadcasting forum that I'd really like to see the Franco-German Arte channel be broadcast free to air with English subtitles from the 28*2E satellite cluster that serves the British Isles.

However, I appreciate that many people don't get on with subtitled foreign language films so under those circumstances a remake would be justified in my view. I suppose dubbing is an option but when it has been done it seems mediocre to poor. :eek:
  • StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    For me, best 'Action' film I've seen this year, 8/10 and I'm not a fan of Colin Farrell .

Not as many laughs as the original, it was a comedy wasn't it, but still, CGI stunning, fight scenes, bone crunching and Kate Beckinsale was born to kick ass, with Jessica Biel.:cool:
  • Ella71110Ella71110 Posts: 4,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved it! it was the first time i'd used IMAX to watch a film-apart from the price it is the way forward as far as watching films at the cinema-i only wish i'd seen The Dark Knight Rising in IMAX-but Total Recall was a great action film:)
  • scoobyju1scoobyju1 Posts: 1,785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Enjoyed it much more than I thought I would (went to see Bourne but there was a cock up so Total Recall was shown instead!)

Having not seen the original for years, I'd forgotten a lot of it but I thought the action sequences were very good. Could have been 15mins shorter & was confusing in parts but I'd give it 7/10.
  • Bob_WhingerBob_Whinger Posts: 1,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoyed it.
    It seems to be getting poor reviews in the press. It is an enjoyable sci-fi high action movie with blade Runner type city-scape.
  • Chickens hitChickens hit Posts: 26,490
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saw this today and actually enjoyed it far more than I expected.It didn't clash in my mind with the Arnie version at all even though there were numerous nods to that film throughout. I loved the look of the film although I expected the UK scenes to be the rainy ones rather than the Colony, was that an injoke by chance? The Fall would be very handy to have in reality. Proper commuter travel.:)

Colin Farrell was fine in the lead whilst Jessica Biel didn't really make that much of an impression to be honest. Kate Beckinsale played her part like a thing posessed with her dogged pursuit and her seeming indestructability. Nothing like a scorned woman to hold a grudge.;)

Nowhere near to being a classic, but an enjoyable way to waste a couple of hours all told.
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Sadly, Jodie Marsh declined the role.