Options

Fracking (shale gas extraction) - is your area at risk?

2»

Comments

• Options
    bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They tried to extract Oil and Gas in my local are back in the 1920s. It was an abysmal failure, due to there being too much sulpher in the deposits

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0016787811000691
  • Options
    mackaramackara Posts: 4,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IT would be interesting to cross reference these proposed sites which those areas that have a naturally high radon gas count.

http://www.ukradon.org/map.php?map=englandwales
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    Yay there's block on offer near me, now if only I had the money.
  • Options
    CSJBCSJB Posts: 6,188
    Forum Member
    I don't want fracking in my backyard it might pollute the water table.
    I don't want nuclear energy there might be an accident or problems with the disposal of radioactive waste.
    I don't want coal fired power stations they pollute the atmosphere and cause global warming.
    I don't want wind turbines they are an eyesore and unreliable.
    But I do want cheaper electricity blah blah blah
  • Options
    Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    blueblade wrote: »
    Don't think so, or if it is, it's right on the border of an area under consideration.

But even if it were, I'm all for it. Not a nimby in any sense of the word where mining for energy is concerned. It's essential to pursue this as far as I am concerned.

Do the companies involved have to disclose exactly what chemicals and in what amounts they're using in the Fracking process?
    Obviously there are things you don't want seeping back into the water table.
  • Options
    Mc256Mc256 Posts: 362
    Forum Member
    LakieLady wrote: »
    I would. I'm afraid I'm very cynical about fracking leading to lower bills, imo it's more likely to lead to bigger profits.

I'm taking steps to reduce my energy consumption at home. I'm getting a multi-fuel burner put in that should make a big difference and we need new windows so will go for the most thermally efficient we can find.

If the house faces south enough, we'll get PV panels as well.

All very admirable how many years will it take to recoup the expence on your reduced fuel bills?

I dont think many households will be fortunate enough to afford such measures to reduce their fuel bills.
  • Options
    tghe-retfordtghe-retford Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I note the granted fracking sites around here surround both a nature reserve and a site of specific scientific interest. Could be fun.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well you learn something new everyday!

I thought fracking was either something sexual or another word for frigging or f**king :o
  • Options
    spookyLXspookyLX Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It has announced that my area has been issued with fracking licenses today , our local LibDem party have announced an emergency public meeting tomorrow , they are extremely unhappy I don't live that far from Balcombe , I live in Worthing , it looks like they are going to cover the whole of west sussex with these drill sites without a second thought to anyone but themselves . Cuadrilla are Environmental terrorists , how soon will west sussex be told that their drinking water has been contaminated by fracking !!! I will be joining any protesters that come to worthing , It has some lovely areas of natural beauty and we don't want them destroyed
  • Options
    livingdeadgirllivingdeadgirl Posts: 624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We're a brown area. I guess its not going to much difference to us though, as there's a nuclear power station close by and the whole conurbation is surrounded by chemical plants.
  • Options
    Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    We're a brown area. I guess its not going to much difference to us though, as there's a nuclear power station close by and the whole conurbation is surrounded by chemical plants.

'One more potentially risking thing won't make much difference' line of thought eh?
    You could have combustible water too :)
  • Options
    cpu121cpu121 Posts: 5,330
    Forum Member
    'One more potentially risking thing won't make much difference' line of thought eh?
    You could have combustible water too :)
    Methane in water isn't linked to fracking. Gasland was very poor science.
  • Options
    dooglemiredooglemire Posts: 356
    Forum Member
    cpu121 wrote: »
    Methane in water isn't linked to fracking. Gasland was very poor science.

The USA has had methane in water problems for decades something the activists fail to mention.