Options

32" Freesat TV - any recommendations?

IggymanIggyman Posts: 8,021
Forum Member
Can anyone recommend a decent 32" Freesat TV please? I was going to go for Samsung or Panasonic but the cheapest I can find is about £500 and I didn't want to spend over about £300.

I suppose I could always buy one without Freesat and simply plug in an external Freesat box, but it would be nice to have a TV with integrated Freesat.

Comments

• Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,517
    Forum Member
    Iggyman wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a decent 32" Freesat TV please? I was going to go for Samsung or Panasonic but the cheapest I can find is about £500 and I didn't want to spend over about £300.

There are very few manufacturers making Freesat TV's, I would recommend that you go for Panasonic, who are the best of those who do.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Many thanks.
  • Options
    es6300es6300 Posts: 298
    Forum Member
    LG and Sony stopped making freesat TVs. You should be able to buy one of these quite cheap if you can find a retailer.

Cheaper option would to buy a Freesat box for under £50 and a Freeview TV for under £200.

Many freesat TVs dont support On Demand. LGs dont, and Panasonic G20 only supported BBC iplayer.

Here's a Panasonic for less than £300, but suspect that it doesnt support ITV player.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/370893517397?lpid=54&device=t&adtype=pla&crdt=0&ff3=1&ff11=ICEP3.0.0&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=54
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Interesting, thanks.

Are Panasonic generally more highly regarded than Samsung ? I've always had a soft spot for Samsung electronics, never had a problem with them either.
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,517
    Forum Member
    Interesting, thanks.

Are Panasonic generally more highly regarded than Samsung ? I've always had a soft spot for Samsung electronics, never had a problem with them either.

Yes, Panasonic and Sony are the top two makes, with Samsung and LG a far way behind.
  • Options
    iangradiangrad Posts: 813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There has not been a small screen TV with built in freesat for ages , if you are able to find one for £500 ish it must be very old stock . If you don't want to spend more than £300 then just get a budget TV and connect a freesat receiver separately .

Pana do make current production TV's with freesat built in but they are quality hi performance sets and are in normal sizes upwards EG TX-L55wt65 or if you want plasma then look at the VT range but these are quality TV's with price tags to match .

Got to ask why it has to be freesat built in ? Its rather fallen out of favour now .
  • Options
    iangradiangrad Posts: 813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    es6300 wrote: »
    LG and Sony stopped making freesat TVs. You should be able to buy one of these quite cheap if you can find a retailer.

Cheaper option would to buy a Freesat box for under £50 and a Freeview TV for under £200.

Many freesat TVs dont support On Demand. LGs dont, and Panasonic G20 only supported BBC iplayer.

Here's a Panasonic for less than £300, but suspect that it doesnt support ITV player.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/370893517397?lpid=54&device=t&adtype=pla&crdt=0&ff3=1&ff11=ICEP3.0.0&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=54

Thats a very old TV ( at least 4 generations back ) ask yourself where has it been for the last 3 or 4 years & how many hours on the clock LOL
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks again for the advice.

Why does the TV need Freesat built in? It's not essential, it just seemed like a good idea (one less box to find a place for, etc).
  • Options
    richjj1978richjj1978 Posts: 141
    Forum Member
    Also remember it will take a feed from the dish. If you live in a flat like I do, and you only have two incoming feeds, you will find it hobbles any later Freesat recorders.

If you are looking for an all in one box solution technomate used to make freeview/freesat boxes. However connected tv wasn't supported.
  • Options
    BangersBangers Posts: 3,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a TV with Freesat built in, one of the LG 32" ones back in December 2009. Lived in a flat with only one satellite feed for a few years, which was powering the Sky box, so Freesat was no use.

Since then I've got a 42" (non-Freesat) telly for the living room and the LG lives in the bedroom. I now live somewhere with satellite feeds in every room, and the LG Freesat telly is once again being used for Freesat in the bedroom.

It's a shame smaller TVs don't have Freesat built in, as the service is perfect for second bedroom viewing, and there's no need for an extra box - something of a help when you have a 32" set on one of your chests of drawers.
  • Options
    Gerry WicklowGerry Wicklow Posts: 632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bangers wrote: »
    It's a shame smaller TVs don't have Freesat built in, as the service is perfect for second bedroom viewing, and there's no need for an extra box - something of a help when you have a 32" set on one of your chests of drawers.

+1 on that. In most cases the very reason someone would buy a smaller set is to fit in a kitchen or bedroom where space is at a premium. I don't have a TV in the kitchen at the moment simply because I don't want the hassle of extra boxes.
  • Options
    Wayne_JacksonWayne_Jackson Posts: 25
    Forum Member
    Look here, third product down.

http://www.freesat.co.uk/products/freesat-hd
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks, but it's unfortunately more than the £300 that I was hoping to pay. :)
  • Options
    HumidHumid Posts: 1,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks, but it's unfortunately more than the £300 that I was hoping to pay. :)

I know your point, but I want an Aston Martin but they are dearer than I was hoping to pay.:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 88
    Forum Member
    I have an LG 32LN540V-ZA which is a 2013 model, full HD 1080p screen, 2 HDMI's and around £300. It comes with DVB-S2 and DVB-T2 HD tuners for both satellite and Freeview, the satellite tuner isn't Freesat it is a universal satellite tuner. It may not be Freesat but it allows you to have multiple satellite feeds coming in including 28.2 or 28.5 east needed for Freesat.

It took me a while to reorder the channels but once done it works well as you can put the channels how you want and skip channels, I ordered mine like the Freesat order starting 101 but put the main 4 HD channels (BBC, ITV, CH4) in the top 4 positions. The only thing it doesn't do is pull down a full EPG as it doesn't look at the Freesat or Sky transponders that pull down the EPG, so you only get the now and next information.

It is not a smart tv but does have a LAN port (currently used for Connect TV) but doesn't do DNLA, it will playback MKV, TS, MP4, AVI files using the USB socket. It also has a few hidden functions THX certification, Energy Star and Dual Play (all enabled via LG EZ adjust menu). Dual Play allows you to play 2 player split screen games in full screen via a games console using a special pair of glasses (not the same as 3D glasses). http://www.richersounds.com/product/tv---all/lg/32ln540v/lg-32ln540v
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Humid wrote: »
    I know your point, but I want an Aston Martin but they are dearer than I was hoping to pay.:D

Does an Aston have Freesat? ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Who's Ya Daddy - thanks for the recommendation, will take a look at that. :)