I wonder what Russell T Davies thinks of all this

classicsforeverclassicsforever Posts: 197
Forum Member
Ever since Russell T Davies brought back Doctor Who, the main point of the series has been the 'Last of the Time Lords' story. The anguish of his being responsible for ending the Time War and wiping out nearly all of his race. The anguish the 10th (?) doctor felt when he realised the Daleks always survive but not his own race.

Great work from Russell T and all taken apart by Moffatt. With one story he decides well actually there's a doctor we don't know about and actually he didn't kill his race.

I wonder how Russell T feels about his storylines being wiped away in such a way. Everytime now we see an Eccleston, Tennant or Smith story and he goes on about being the last of his race we know it's just a load of tosh now.

Comments

• Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ever since Russell T Davies brought back Doctor Who, the main point of the series has been the 'Last of the Time Lords' story. The anguish of his being responsible for ending the Time War and wiping out nearly all of his race. The anguish the 10th (?) doctor felt when he realised the Daleks always survive but not his own race.

Great work from Russell T and all taken apart by Moffatt. With one story he decides well actually there's a doctor we don't know about and actually he didn't kill his race.

I wonder how Russell T feels about his storylines being wiped away in such a way. Everytime now we see an Eccleston, Tennant or Smith story and he goes on about being the last of his race we know it's just a load of tosh now.

I suspect Russell 'The' (See his great cameo in 'The Five-ish Doctors' taking the mick out of himself, produced by Steven M) will be absolutely fine with it, tbh. :)
  • JonDoeJonDoe Posts: 31,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Quel dommage.", probably.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Russel T banished the Time Lords because he thought they were boring.

As a professional with experience in soap operas and mainstream drama, he brought his expertise to the show, for good or ill.

Nothing more or less. He's not a sci-fi nut, he's a TV nut.

He would, therefore, watch the 50th as a fan of both.
  • wowboywowboy Posts: 1,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Actually it all fit in very well and links in the story very well. Russel t Davies made a bit of a mess of the last of the time lords arc, I thought Moffat did a great job of rounding up the arc to keep the continuity and it kept the story arcs of Davies era intact without losing its credibility.

His story lines weren't "wiped away" they actually formed the basis of he whole 50th anniversary. The episode stated the past incarnations wouldn't remember the actual events of the time war so that era all remained relevant. Elizabeth I appearance links in with series 3 episode The Shakespeare Code. Bad wolf was a Davies storyline which was vital to the storyline. And I'm sure there are more i haven't stated.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 312
    Forum Member
    He said he was the last of his race because that's what he genuinely thought at the time, and he responded as he did, grieving etc because he thought it was true. It wasn't a lie. So, the fact that he now knows that to be not true is a cause for celebration - the story has progressed, which is what all good stories ought to do - and we now have a whole new range of possibilities for Capaldi and future incarnations - they can be quite a different character because they are not carrying around that baggage all the time, and have a little more hope.

I bet Russell T Davies loves it. I bet he's wishing he'd thought of it. ;)
  • *Sparkle**Sparkle* Posts: 10,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't see him having a problem with it.

Last night's story respected everything that went on before. Everything the previous Doctors experienced was in the belief that they were the last of their kind. It worked well for a re-boot, but that particular angle was about as well worn as it could be.

Last night's episode didn't undo what Russell wrote - it simply gave the Doctor, and us, an alternative perspective on it. It opens up a whole new set of options, and conflicts. Instead of moping about how he killed them off, he can mope about whether or not he should find them and bring them back! :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    *Sparkle* wrote: »
    I can't see him having a problem with it.

Last night's story respected everything that went on before. Everything the previous Doctors experienced was in the belief that they were the last of their kind. It worked well for a re-boot, but that particular angle was about as well worn as it could be.

Last night's episode didn't undo what Russell wrote - it simply gave the Doctor, and us, an alternative perspective on it. It opens up a whole new set of options, and conflicts. Instead of moping about how he killed them off, he can mope about whether or not he should find them and bring them back! :D

I think this sums it up completely. Also I'm sure Russell knows he can't control what happens after he left the show and that everything can be changed and reinvented.
  • dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    greymarl wrote: »
    He said he was the last of his race because that's what he genuinely thought at the time, and he responded as he did, grieving etc because he thought it was true. It wasn't a lie. So, the fact that he now knows that to be not true is a cause for celebration - the story has progressed, which is what all good stories ought to do - and we now have a whole new range of possibilities for Capaldi and future incarnations - they can be quite a different character because they are not carrying around that baggage all the time, and have a little more hope.

I bet Russell T Davies loves it. I bet he's wishing he'd thought of it. ;)

This ^^^
    Or was the Doctor going to get stuck in a rut, forever regretting his choices, everything he does relating back to this? The rebooting of the Time Lords/ Gallifrey is a new beginning for a new Doctor, with lots of possibilities. As well as saving earth, he can get into the business of saving Gallifrey (should make a change) and there is lots of potential for conflict with others on his home planet, should he ever find it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    As teased in The End of Time I think it was always likely Time Lords were going to eventually return. A gazillion Daleks have so why not. In the end the doctor fully believed he had destroyed them using The Moment and has lived with the torment until now. I for one look forward to the search and what new spin it will bring.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member
    I bet he loved it.

He loves the show and really enjoys being a fan.

His favourite writer is Moffatt so he would be stuck there totally enthralled.
  • DiscoPDiscoP Posts: 5,931
    Forum Member
    No idea what RTD thought but I saw a panel with Phil Collinson today, and although he liked the episode he wasn't too enamoured with the changes that they made to the time war.
  • WelshNigeWelshNige Posts: 4,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The bottom line is that an idea that he came up with (the time war) formed the basis of the 50th anniversary story of a show he loves.

I reckon he'd be pretty chuffed about that.
  • saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    WelshNige wrote: »
    The bottom line is that an idea that he came up with (the time war) formed the basis of the 50th anniversary story of a show he loves.

I reckon he'd be pretty chuffed about that.

This! What tribute to the man and his writing. Moffat hasn't ruined or disrespected anything RTD did. He has used it and developed it. A man as original and brave in his writing as Russell would applaud daring writing.
  • saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DiscoP wrote: »
    No idea what RTD thought but I saw a panel with Phil Collinson today, and although he liked the episode he wasn't too enamoured with the changes that they made to the time war.

Well with all due respect to Phil I don't think Moffat will lose any sleep over that. Hes a practical type Collinson. Not a creative.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Right now RTD is thinking about bananas and cucumbers.
  • amos_brearleyamos_brearley Posts: 8,496
    Forum Member
    And tofu too, I hear!
  • Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I imagine some of the producers in the classic era may not have been too happy that Collinson was part of the team that decided to wipe the time lords out. Maybe he should reflect on that. ;)
  • JayPee86JayPee86 Posts: 3,565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

hmmm, great work?
    im not so sure, and neither are alot of people.
    killing off the time lords and the daleks never really worked lets face it.
  • Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But that's the thing, the Time Lords were never wiped out or killed.

It was always said they were simply locked away so that the show could explore the Doctor as the last of his kind and bring the show back without some of that baggage.

So, they didn't change the classic era, they simply had a plot development move on from it.

But Moffat had Gallifrey locked away or suspended in time or whatever, isn't that exactly what the Time Lock was? I don't recall it ever being suggested the Time Lords had all died.
    Forum Member
    Joe_Zel wrote: »
    But that's the thing, the Time Lords were never wiped out or killed.

It was always said they were simply locked away so that the show could explore the Doctor as the last of his kind and bring the show back without some of that baggage.

So, they didn't change the classic era, they simply had a plot development move on from it.

But Moffat had Gallifrey locked away or suspended in time or whatever, isn't that exactly what the Time Lock was? I don't recall it ever being suggested the Time Lords had all died.

I've always been quite confused about it myself. Initially I thought that the Doctor killed the Timelords and the Daleks and then timelocked the war to prevent anyone going back to change history, but then in The End of Time it seemed to be implied that the Time Lords had simply been shut off somewhere but again in the Day of the Doctor it seemed that he did kill them all (but hasn't now). I've just given myself a headache writing that...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As RTD asked Moffat for pre-broadcast tapes of the first Smith shows so he could watch them first RTD will have been as stoked as all of us watching it as a fan...he knows full-well that the whole point of of a time-traveller is that things in history change.
  • ThamwetThamwet Posts: 2,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Oh, that tit went on to utterly wreck Coronation Street after he left Doctor Who. However, he was too arrogant to listen to any of the critics. He just went on TV to argue with them about why he was right.

I doubt Moffat, if he even knows Collinson, would care. Moffat for all his flaws is by far a better producer than Phil.
    Forum Member

That's interesting. What exactly did he say?
    Forum Member
    That's interesting. What exactly did he say?

Oh gosh, it's been a long day and Phil was one of the first guests that I saw so I hope that I don't horribly misquote him but from what I recall, he said that he had watched the episode and enjoyed it but wasn't sure about them erasing the time war. (Which means that either he misunderstood the plot or I did because I thought the time war still happened, it was just the outcome that was changed).
    Forum Member
    Oh gosh, it's been a long day and Phil was one of the first guests that I saw so I hope that I don't horribly misquote him but from what I recall, he said that he had watched the episode and enjoyed it but wasn't sure about them erasing the time war. (Which means that either he misunderstood the plot or I did because I thought the time war still happened, it was just the outcome that was changed).

Yes, I would agree with you, it was the ending of the Time War that was erased, not the whole thing.

I think Phil Collinson is really good friends with Russell, so perhaps he would feel slightly offended on his behalf about Steven altering the storylines, even if Russell himself wasn't!