Options

General Election: Your Final Thoughts

jojoenojojoeno Posts: 1,842
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Now in the last 24 hours of hustings and many rain forests chopped down (even a bit of granite) to supply the paper on which so much has been written and we all agree so much will be forgotten and not delivered.

I dont trust the Tories or the 3 horsemen from the Bullington Club. I was amazed that Cameron stick rigidly to the soundbites and carefully crafted meet and greet. Also amzed he ran away from debates. The fact he hasnt detailed where the £12 billion in welfasre cuts will fall should concern all disabled and those dependent on welfare and even the elderly on pensions. So my final words on Cam and Co , Never ever Trust a Tory The Tories will rely on UKIP and the bigots of the DUP to get into number 10, thats a very dangerous cocktail and must be avoided at all costs.

As for Milliband , I dont rate him at all. I somehow believe that if he delivers on all his pledges and promises it would be amazing, but, it niggles me tha he wont and cant deliver all his pledges. Also, I dont rate him as a leader , much prefer Alan Johnston.

As for UKIP, LibDEms they are irrelevant.

The SNP if they were here in NI , I would vote for Sturgeon and her brand of Politics. Coming from N Ireland I agree with her that the regions deserve a better deal from the Westminster Establishment. We in NI like Scotland have not have elected any Tories or Labour in this election ( I assume the Polls will be correct).

So what are we left with? I hope we will have a broad left coalition of Labour/SNP/SDLP and Plaid together in a government, representative of all the UK.

It would be good for the people of the UK as a whole and also good for all the regions.

Comments

• Options
    jmclaughjmclaugh Posts: 63,999
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do love it when someone talks of a government that is representative of all the people and declares Tories can't be trusted, UKIP and the Lib Dems are irrelevant and therefore the people who vote for them are. It seems representative only applies if you vote Labour. SNP, Plaid and SDLP.
  • Options
    paulschapmanpaulschapman Posts: 35,536
    Forum Member
    For what is likely to be one of the closest elections in a generation it has been rather lacklustre - it comes to something when the highlight of the campaign is a ruddy great slab or rock.
  • Options
    AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jmclaugh wrote: »
    I do love it when someone talks of a government that is representative of all the people and declares Tories can't be trusted, UKIP and the Lib Dems are irrelevant and therefore the people who vote for them. It seems representative only applies if you vote Labour. SNP, Plaid and SDLP.

In my view, a Government that is truly representative of the people would be a Government of both right wing and left wing parties otherwise there's always roughly half the population who are not represented at all.

But of course, some posters believe that a wholly left wing alliance that barely scrapes 40% of the population is totally representative because that's what they want.

The very fact that in vote percentage The Tories, UKIP and the DUP are likely to get over 50% of the vote suggests that whatever Government we get, a right wing alliance, or a left wing alliance, is not going to be representative of the people.
  • Options
    northantsgirlnorthantsgirl Posts: 4,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dull campaign that has skirted around and in some cases totally avoided the issues. I think its going to be grisly post-mortems for Conservative, Labour, Lib Dems and UKIP after the results have come in.

Think it will be different in 2020.
  • Options
    TouristaTourista Posts: 14,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dull campaign that has skirted around and in some cases totally avoided the issues. I think its going to be grisly post-mortems for Conservative, Labour, Lib Dems and UKIP after the results have come in.

Think it will be different in 2020.

Haven't agreed with a post as much as yours in a long time....

As for "winners", it is as you intimate, and only the SNP will be crowing come Friday.
  • Options
    Sky_GuySky_Guy Posts: 6,859
    Forum Member
    I just imagine pots of paint with each representing a party, and these being thrown onto the road turning into a big puddle of mixed paint.
  • Options
    FrankieFixerFrankieFixer Posts: 11,530
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I want rid of the tories and the only way I can see that happening is voting Labour. I wasn't chancing it by voting tactically or for the SNP who I don't think have the interests of the UK at heart.
  • Options
    OLD HIPPY GUYOLD HIPPY GUY Posts: 28,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For what is likely to be one of the closest elections in a generation it has been rather lacklustre - it comes to something when the highlight of the campaign is a ruddy great slab or rock.

Might be the highlight for you, but for me the highlights have been Cameron being frightened to have a head to head debate, the ways he squirmed and wriggled and demanded this and that before he would take part and when he did take part there were Tory members planted in the audience.
    the sheer nasty negativity from the Tory press and Tory HQ "back stabber" "the Jew" "the biggest constitutional crisis since the abdication"
    But the cherry on top is Cameron telling us all that he will waste tax payers money and parliamentary time by introducing legislation to......... (I kid you not) FORCE himself to keep some of his own election promises, I mean the guy might as well have just said....

"look folks I admit I lied my tits off last time, and I know anyone with any sense would never trust me again (I mean one lie fair enough, but breaking more promises than I kept should really be unforgivable) SO in a desperate attempt to get you to trust me again I will make a law which will prevent me from breaking..... erm.... some of my promises"

I mean, where is the logic in making a Law to force him to keep just a few of his promises? why no law to force himself to keep ALL of his promises.?

Is it ONLY me that sees the the flaw here? so in a years time (should he win) and he has once again broken loads of pre election promises, and when people complain, he can say, "HEY, I never introduced a law to force me not to break those."
  • Options
    jojoenojojoeno Posts: 1,842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Owen Jones, "Dont let your vote be taken away "

ww.theguardian.com/commentisfree/video/2015/may/05/no-normal-election-dont-let-your-voice-be-taken-away-owen-jones
  • Options
    silkdragonsilkdragon Posts: 1,707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    God help us ! They all sound manic to me. Just hope Salmond ( in a wig ) shuts up.
  • Options
    Sky_GuySky_Guy Posts: 6,859
    Forum Member
    jojoeno wrote: »
    Owen Jones, "Dont let your vote be taken away "

ww.theguardian.com/commentisfree/video/2015/may/05/no-normal-election-dont-let-your-voice-be-taken-away-owen-jones

Get me a bucket.
  • Options
    Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We need better politicians
  • Options
    David TeeDavid Tee Posts: 22,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the result will be inconclusive and we'll be in for anywhere between three and six months of chaos before another election, maybe even this year, is held. Some kind of government, probably headed by Labour will emerge, but it won't take long for everyone to see that the arrangement is not serving the countries needs.

Take it with a pinch of salt, I've been wrong about most things regarding this election. ;-)
  • Options
    thmsthms Posts: 61,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would vote for the non-Unionist candidate
  • Options
    Jim_McIntoshJim_McIntosh Posts: 5,866
    Forum Member
    I think the Tories will hold onto government. I don't get the sense that the Labour backing is strong enough and I think most shy voters will go for Tories as well as some right-wingers tactically switching from UKIP. In any case, I think the Tories will get first crack to forming a government and will deal if need be, with LibDems first choice and UKIP, DUP etc possible too, if needed.

Personally I think either option will be bad (because our problems are bigger than which archaic political party is in power) but if you twisted my arm I'd rather have Miliband. We might as well switch around every few years given how much governments tend to go wrong over multiple terms.
  • Options
    northantsgirlnorthantsgirl Posts: 4,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    David Tee wrote: »
    I think the result will be inconclusive and we'll be in for anywhere between three and six months of chaos before another election, maybe even this year, is held. Some kind of government, probably headed by Labour will emerge, but it won't take long for everyone to see that the arrangement is not serving the countries needs.

Take it with a pinch of salt, I've been wrong about most things regarding this election. ;-)

A lot of people are saying a second election but I cannot see how that can come to pass- not when you actually need a majority to abolish the fixed term parliament act and there will be more parties not wanting an election than do.
  • Options
    OLD HIPPY GUYOLD HIPPY GUY Posts: 28,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    David Tee wrote: »

Respect given where due.
    ;-)
  • Options
    MajlisMajlis Posts: 31,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But the cherry on top is Cameron telling us all that he will waste tax payers money and parliamentary time by introducing legislation to......... (I kid you not) FORCE himself to keep some of his own election promises, I mean the guy might as well have just said....

"look folks I admit I lied my tits off last time, and I know anyone with any sense would never trust me again (I mean one lie fair enough, but breaking more promises than I kept should really be unforgivable) SO in a desperate attempt to get you to trust me again I will make a law which will prevent me from breaking..... erm.... some of my promises"

I mean, where is the logic in making a Law to force him to keep just a few of his promises? why no law to force himself to keep ALL of his promises.?

Is it ONLY me that sees the the flaw here? so in a years time (should he win) and he has once again broken loads of pre election promises, and when people complain, he can say, "HEY, I never introduced a law to force me not to break those."

I hate to point it out and pee on your parade but Ed Balls was suggesting exactly the same thing last year :D

"I am today announcing a binding fiscal commitment. The next Labour government will balance the books and deliver a surplus on the current budget and falling national debt in the next Parliament. So my message to my party and the country is this: where this government has failed, we will finish the job.

We will abolish the discredited idea of rolling five year targets and legislate for our tough fiscal rules within 12 months of the general election."
  • Options
    RichievillaRichievilla Posts: 6,179
    Forum Member
    Have to agree with others that the campaigns (both nationally and locally) of all the 4 main parties have been dull, disappointing and have spent most of the time being evasive and negative. The only dynamic campaign seems to have been from the SNP.

This election more than any other has convinced me that the first past the post system needs to go. Living in a Labour/Tory marginal I have voted for what I see as the lesser of the two evils as any other vote would be wasted. Lots of others are seemingly voting tactically also.
  • Options
    MidnightFalconMidnightFalcon Posts: 15,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Vote Muppet, You'll get one anyway.
  • Options
    MidnightFalconMidnightFalcon Posts: 15,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Living in a Labour/Tory marginal I have voted for what I see as the lesser of the two evils as any other vote would be wasted. Lots of others are seemingly voting tactically also.

That's what they want you to think.

Voting "lesser of two evils" will only ever get you the two evils and the only wasted vote is an uncast one.

The more people who "waste" their vote by going outside the big two the smaller the percentage of votes cast those parties gain and the greater the pressure for proper democratic reform.
  • Options
    Judge MentalJudge Mental Posts: 18,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My conclusion is that the media in this country is broken and corrupt. 80% of it is right wing and 100% self serving in terms of political coverage. We deserve far far better.

The politicians have wriggled and squirmed and spun like fury but it's generated mostly hot air and very little illumination.

Miliband has gone up slightly in my estimation. I still despise David Cameron (who appears to stand for nothing at all). I am depressed about the prospect of another Tory led government and not at all afraid of a Labour-led one even if supported by other left leaning anti austerity parties. Clegg tried but appeared irrelevant. Sturgeon was this years' Cleggmania and will probably go the same way in the longer term!

Re the debates - Cameron wimped out of doing the one I really wanted to see between himself and Miliband. The only one I really enjoyed was the Question Time roasting. All the others were too contrived.
  • Options
    GreatGodPanGreatGodPan Posts: 53,186
    Forum Member
    Have to agree with others that the campaigns (both nationally and locally) of all the 4 main parties have been dull, disappointing and have spent most of the time being evasive and negative. The only dynamic campaign seems to have been from the SNP.

This election more than any other has convinced me that the first past the post system needs to go. Living in a Labour/Tory marginal I have voted for what I see as the lesser of the two evils as any other vote would be wasted. Lots of others are seemingly voting tactically also.

Same position for me - and I agree with you about FPTP.
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    Awful election campaign and easily the worst I can remember. The main parties stage-managed their events to the point where they've become utterly meaningless and have insulted the intelligence of every voter in the UK with their failure to answer questions. The campaigns have been dominated by the post-election coalitions and the actual policies have been shoved into the background.

I don't actually care who wins as I don't believe any of the real issues will ever be addressed.
  • Options
    SnowStorm86SnowStorm86 Posts: 17,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Final thought: It is of vital importance that Cameron should not be allowed back into Downing Street. During the past 5 years he and his ilk have battered the poorest and most vulnerable in society, meanwhile the richest in the Country have seen their wealth double. It simply isn't fair.

I'm not going to suggest that Labour are the answer to all our prayers, far from it. But if voting them is the best way of ensuring an end to Tory ideology then we have no choice but to vote Labour at least in the short term.