Options

Knight Rider ... The NEW series . . .

Comments

• Options
    Jennifer JayneJennifer Jayne Posts: 9,022
    Forum Member
    Markynotts wrote: »
    NBC seem to have a bit more faith in the show than some of the viewers. They have ordered a further 4 more episodes, which I think takes it to around 15 episodes so far. Not quite a full season yet, but promising.

It looks like it is hitting the spot with regard to their viewing demo's with young men tuning in.

http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index.php?category=0&id=61211

Glad its getting more episodes im hoping we will get around 20 - 22 episodes by the end

Loving the show and im in the main demographic I think.

The latest episode definitly had a feel of the origional show.
  • Options
    garbage456garbage456 Posts: 8,225
    Forum Member
    much, much better car chases this week ,very little CGI
    i give this ep 9/10, would of 10 but for silly bits with sarah (why doesnt she ever work on the car like Bonnie)
  • Options
    stuartmckstuartmck Posts: 248
    Forum Member
    When's this showing here in the UK?
  • Options
    Katia PolletinKatia Polletin Posts: 4,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm enjoying it, the only thing I don't really like is the theme tune and they could have picked a better looking base car.
  • Options
    wakeywakey Posts: 3,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *marv* wrote: »
    Glad its getting more episodes im hoping we will get around 20 - 22 episodes by the end

Loving the show and im in the main demographic I think.

The latest episode definitly had a feel of the origional show.

As I said above it hasnt yet got more episodes, its script orders not episode orders. If these get commissioned is touch and go, its pretty much tanking in the ratings but does do fairly well in the demos, especially if you split the demos into gender where it does great with men
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,210
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stuartmck wrote: »
    No-ones picked it up. Money's on five or Sci Fi UK.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,737
    Forum Member
    Hey, just watched episode 4 and enjoyed it! lol
  • Options
    DJGMDJGM Posts: 3,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stuartmck wrote: »
    As soon as bosses at any one of the TV networks/channels over here decided to buy the rights to it.
    I'm hoping Sky don't buy the rights, unless they repeat it on Sky 3 after it gets premiered on Sky 1.
    And even though ITV had the rights to the original series in the 1980's I'm hoping they don't buy
    the rights either, after the debacle over an episode of Pushing Daisies earlier this year.
    I'm enjoying it, the only thing I don't really like is the theme tune . . .
    I would have also preferred a better version of the theme than the one they're using, although I'm
    getting used to it. The version they used in the promo for the backdoor pilot would've been better.
    . . . and they could have picked a better looking base car.
    I wasn't too sure about the choice of the Ford Mustang Shelby GT500 when it was announced.
    But the other car companies over there, either had existing contractual agreements for other
    productions, such as GM and Transformers, or they weren't interested. The only automaker
    that really wanted in on the new Knight Rider project was Ford, and the best choice of
    hi-performance Ford vehicle they could showcase was the new Mustang Shelby.

True, the Ford Mustang might look a lot chunkier and less sleek than the Trans-Ams used for
    the original KITT, but it was the last/best option available, especially since Trans-Ams had
    been discontinued by Pontiac (a division of Beneral Motors) some years ago.

If NBC commission another season of new KR, maybe KITT could get totalled in the season
    finale ... in favour of the new, somewhat sleeker 2010 model of the Ford Mustang Shelby.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DJGM wrote: »
    As soon as bosses at any one of the TV networks/channels over here decided to buy the rights to it.
    Sci Fi Channel will most likely pick the rights, as its their own series and none of the bigger networks want it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Oracle wrote: »
    Sci Fi Channel will most likely pick the rights . . .
    If hope they don't, for two reasons . . .

<> Sci-Fi does not (AFAIK) broadcast in 16:9 yet ... new Knight Rider is made in 16:9 HD.
    <> Sci-Fi isn't available on Freeview, and that's unlikely to change anytime soon, if at all.
    . . . and none of the bigger networks want it.
    Your reputable source for this particular snippet of info is . . . ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Your reputable source for this particular snippet of info is . . . ?
    The TV movie has been on the market since February, and as part of a 15-hour series package since May.

Unless a broadcaster is purposely keeping Knight Rider's pick-up a secret from their investors, it hasn't been picked-up yet.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And Knight Rider isn't even prime-time quality in the States, what makes you think a major FTA channel in the UK will pick it up?

The quality is on the same level as Sci Fi Channel's original movies, so realistically, it's a perfect albeit high profile fit. Actually, it wouldn't be out of place on Jetix either.
  • Options
    RooksRooks Posts: 9,101
    Forum Member
    And Knight Rider isn't even prime-time quality in the States, what makes you think a major FTA channel in the UK will pick it up?

The name perhaps? Knight Rider (the original) was huge in the UK when I was young and it's still a recognisable name to people over the age of about 25 years old. I could see it ending up on ITV4 as it's a perfect fit for that channels target audience (males).

As for why it's not been picked up yet. Well I wonder if the speedy cancellation of Bionic Woman is making some channels a little more cautious in their purchases. ITV made a big fuss of Bionic Woman, did a lot of promotional work for it only to find it cancelled in 8 episodes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I beg to differ there ... since the new KR series began last month, it's been hovering around 2nd or 3rd
    place in the overnight ratings for Wednesday nights. The show that's stopping the new KR series from getting better ratings than that is Bones. Other than that, new KR is far from being a flop, unlike the
    Bionic Woman remake, which pretty much hemorrhaged viewers from early in the series.

My only complaint about the new KR is with some of the ropey visual FX, like the new Turbo Boost,
    although the VFX team are sprucing it up, so TB should look closer to how it was in the old series.

One thing to remember about the new Knight Rider ... it's not a show meant to be taken seriously,
    unlike harder edged, grittier shows of the likes of C.S.I. and Without A Trace. It's a bit of escapist,
    action adventure drama, with a bit of far-fetched sci-fi fantasy thrown in for good measure.
    Pretty much the same thing applies for the original series.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The new Knight Rider isn't a flop. It's doing well enough in ratings (winning its slot doesn't mean much when your ratings are only 7 million). But does it deserve success?

Bionic Woman is a far superior series to Knight Rider, yet got canned early on.
  • Options
    wakeywakey Posts: 3,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I beg to differ there ... since the new KR series began last month, it's been hovering around 2nd or 3rd
    place in the overnight ratings for Wednesday nights.

This week (When hardly anything aired) it came 2nd in its timeslot, being beaten in both half hours by sitcoms. That placed it 3rd overall.

The week before it came 3rd in its timeslot or 7th overall. Wed in general isnt a tough day to be on, especially in the 8pm slot. Theres alot of potential viewers left over from the big show in each of the hours (Bones at 8pm, Criminal Minds at 9pm and CSI:NY at 10pm) and it should be doing better

Also tbh its in almost the same boat as Bionic Women, the drop off from the pilot (which in KR case was the movie) to to the lowest rating is a simerlar percentage. It got a slight reprive this week with no Bones episode but will probally be back down to under 7mill again for the next episode.

Its a flop plain and simple, the only positive is that those watching it are weighted towards the key 18-34 male catagory which is good for then advertisers, especially Ford
  • Options
    Katia PolletinKatia Polletin Posts: 4,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wakey wrote: »
    This week (When hardly anything aired) it came 2nd in its timeslot, being beaten in both half hours by sitcoms. That placed it 3rd overall.

The week before it came 3rd in its timeslot or 7th overall. Wed in general isn't a tough day to be on, especially in the 8pm slot. There's a lot of potential viewers left over from the big show in each of the hours (Bones at 8pm, Criminal Minds at 9pm and CSI:NY at 10pm) and it should be doing better

Also tbh its in almost the same boat as Bionic Women, the drop off from the pilot (which in KR case was the movie) to to the lowest rating is a similar percentage. It got a slight reprieve this week with no Bones episode but will probably be back down to under 7mill again for the next episode.

Its a flop plain and simple, the only positive is that those watching it are weighted towards the key 18-34 male category which is good for then advertisers, especially Ford

I'm enjoying it and I'm not in the male 18-34 category.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://ausiellofiles.ew.com/2008/10/exclusive-knigh.html

Full season order. This show is SO undeserving, Bionic Woman was a much better series, in every way possible, but got canned after 8 episodes.

Maybe KR will rapidly improve in the next few episodes, but so far it's shoddy at best. Sorry, but that's what I think.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,737
    Forum Member
    KR got the "back Nine" ordered, meaning a full season of 22 episodes. Im glad. Its not Great TV, but its the "silly fun" that I need toward the end of the week to start unwinding! (I usually watch the show on a Thursday night so perfect to unwind for the weekend lol)
  • Options
    TMLS313TMLS313 Posts: 3,990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://ausiellofiles.ew.com/2008/10/exclusive-knigh.html

Full season order. This show is SO undeserving, Bionic Woman was a much better series, in every way possible, but got canned after 8 episodes.

Maybe KR will rapidly improve in the next few episodes, but so far it's shoddy at best. Sorry, but that's what I think.

Oh i dunno, I was a *big* BW fan, and said as much on here at the time. I was livid it was cancelled. But KR has something that BW sadly lacked - a sense of fun. BW tried to force it, and it wasn't there. Both are great shows, but KR deserves a full season as much as BW did. I also think KR does the nostalgia factor better.
  • Options
    bazellisbazellis Posts: 5,405
    Forum Member
    I'm really disappointed with the new Knight Rider series, after what was an excellent pilot movie. I'm afraid to say I've stopped watching after 3 episodes:(:(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 139
    Forum Member
    Sorry to disagree with you all, but im hooked. I love this series. Yeh its cheesy, and kiddish but thats what the original Knight Rider was all about. Seriously...a talking car!!!

But come on give it a chance its not the same show its a sequel which means its going to be different. This being its first season they are going to be making mistakes. Take a look back to Star Trek The Next Generation, the first two series were awful, it was only in Series 3 where they hit there stride and turned it in to a classic show.

Give Knight Rider 2008 a chance, forget the original ( remember it as a classic but forget it when watching this) and your love it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From the official NBC Universal press release . . .

NBC TO PICK UP NINE ADDITIONAL EPISODES OF 'KNIGHT RIDER'
    TO COMPLETE FULL-SEASON ORDER FOR 2008-09
    Published: October 21, 2008

UNIVERSAL CITY – October 21, 2008 - NBC will pick up nine additional episodes of its freshman
    drama series "Knight Rider" (Wednesdays, 8-9 p.m. ET) to provide the series with a full-season
    order for 2008-09, it was announced today by Ben Silverman, Co-Chairman, NBC Entertainment
    and Universal Media Studios.

"Gary Scott Thompson and the great cast and crew of 'Knight Rider' continue to deliver fun, action
    packed adventures every week," said Silverman. "Kitt and Michael will continue to travel across
    the country on their fun, escapist ride pursuing bad guys and savingthe day."

"Knight Rider" premiered its new season on Wednesday, September 24 (8-9 p.m. ET).
    The series is averaging a 2.4 rating, 7 share in adults 18-49 and 7.4 million viewers overall so
    far this season in "live plus same day" averages. "Knight Rider" is the #1 regular series in
    its competitive time period in all key adult-male demographics and won the slot in
    adults 18-49 with its most recent telecast on October 15.

For those that still think the new Knight Rider is a flop ... eat your words!
  • Options
    lemon-squeezylemon-squeezy Posts: 582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    for fear of repeating myself "i enjoyed it for what it was, same as i enjoy old kr for what it was. It always was cheesy but fun car stunts, humour and sexy women, You guys are acting like it was some heavy intellectual drama that the new series has defiled, you'll be telling me "the a-team" was high brow next........"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Now that NBC have commissioned a complete season of new KR, and with it not hemorrhaging
    ratings like Bionic Woman did, there's a better chance a channel could acquire the UK rights.