Options

Windows 8.1 Start Button Menu Fails Again

13»

Comments

• Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,531
    Forum Member
    I think RT will be due for the tech scrapheap in a year or so. I can't ever see it becoming a huge success. If it hasn't made an impact now it will never make an impact.

I thought of you when I was reading the other thread, you are gonna LOVE this...

Windows 8 Metro screen on a 32 inch 4K monitor...

"Viewing the Windows desktop at 3,840 x 2,160 is an initially disconcerting experience." they say. I nearly fell off my chair laughing! :D
  • Options
    jonner101jonner101 Posts: 3,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    paulsalter wrote: »
    I understand that, but that's the same as adding a shortcut to the taskbar in Windows 8/8.1

On a mac, If you right click the applications folder, you can choose list style.

The launcher then works almost like the pre windows 8 start menu. with subfolders like utilities that pop out into sub menus.
  • Options
    Jay-CeeJay-Cee Posts: 2,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sorry to ask here but how do we get the 8.1 update? cant find it in the store. Do I have to wait to be prompted?
  • Options
    StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jay-Cee wrote: »
    sorry to ask here but how do we get the 8.1 update? cant find it in the store. Do I have to wait to be prompted?

It's currently not available on Windows RT devices.

If you can't see it in Windows 8, run a command prompt and type wsreset. It worked for me.
  • Options
    FaustFaust Posts: 8,985
    Forum Member
    People on here can argue till the cows come home but at the end of the day what matters is the buying public and what they think.

Despite MS spending huge amounts on advertising W8 it's clearly not working. We have the perfect storm for MS failing sales generally and a buying public that doesn't like the product on offer. Even Microsofts own surveys have revealed that consumers don't like hidden buttons they want them "fixed". I myself find bumping the mouse or trackpad into the corner to be a very hit and miss affair.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Stuart Andrews has done a fine editorial on W8 in issue 407 of ComputerActive magazine - says it all really.
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    d'@ve wrote: »
    I thought of you when I was reading the other thread, you are gonna LOVE this...

Windows 8 Metro screen on a 32 inch 4K monitor...

"Viewing the Windows desktop at 3,840 x 2,160 is an initially disconcerting experience." they say. I nearly fell off my chair laughing! :D

That's brilliant! :D Wonder which desktop they were referring to - the real one with a Taskbar and Start Menu or the Playskool one with a grid of different coloured tiles?
    Faust wrote: »
    Stuart Andrews has done a fine editorial on W8 in issue 407 of ComputerActive magazine - says it all really.

I read that article and needless to say I agreed with it all :DThis week he's ranting about iPhone hype.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    That's brilliant! :D Wonder which desktop they were referring to - the real one with a Taskbar and Start Menu or the Playskool one with a grid of different coloured tiles?

I read that article and needless to say I agreed with it all :DThis week he's ranting about iPhone hype.

Oh, good, I'm a couple of issues reading behind, I'll look forward to that. He was accurate with a lot of his observations with W8 whether you're a fan or not.
  • Options
    bigpodbigpod Posts: 1,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    and101 wrote: »
    I can remember the same complaints when XP was released. It was called a pile of crap with a fisher price interface. People got used to it and are now calling for Microsoft to return to the old fisher price interface with Windows 8. I also remember the complaints when 95 was released with people hating the new start menu concept and wanting the old style program manager instead.

The thing is you don't remember that, cos it wasn't said. The biggest issue was it was a bit of a hog on the then standard systems. Therefore some people found it difficult for that reason. Aside from that there was no reaction like the one to Windows 8. I like Windows 8 with Metro disabled and a start menu added, but it should not be necessary to use a third party app to make it happen.