Options

Anyone watching the ISS passes?

HollyCHollyC Posts: 5,850
Forum Member
The International Space Station is back! I got a few great sightings in August, but none of my pictures were any good. :(

Anyone else watching for them?

Here's a website that gives the times ...

http://www.meteorwatch.org/uk-iss-passes-october-2014.html

Comments

• Options
    miss_astridmiss_astrid Posts: 1,808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wasn't, but I'll keep an eye out now. I love all things night-sky related, and there are lots of spots around here that don't have light pollution so would be an excellent place to spot the space station. Thanks for the link. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I wasn't, but I'll keep an eye out now. I love all things night-sky related, and there are lots of spots around here that don't have light pollution so would be an excellent place to spot the space station. Thanks for the link. :)

I watched for it most nights in August. I got ridiculously excited each time I saw it (I waved like an idiot, even though I know they wouldn't be able to see! :blush:)
  • Options
    kiviraatkiviraat Posts: 4,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep! Been overcast this week so not seen the recent passes, but seen loads a few months ago :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It passes in 6 minutes at 19.21 and disappears 5 minutes later. :o
  • Options
    shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone else read that as ISIS? :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    shackfan wrote: »

LOL! Sorry - I did think that after I posted the thread. It's not them though - it's a bunch of space men!
  • Options
    idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    Great view of the pass. Clear here.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    idlewilde wrote: »
    Great view of the pass. Clear here.

Same here. I must get my binoculars out for tomorrow.
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    HollyC wrote: »
    The International Space Station is back!

Has it been back to earth for a refit or something?
  • Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've seen a couple but I don't make a point of it.
  • Options
    belly buttonbelly button Posts: 17,026
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Here is some information regarding when you are likely to see the ISS from your area of the country.
    Thanks for reminding me about this OP. I always think of Thunderbirds when I hear 'International Space Station' :)
  • Options
    albertdalbertd Posts: 14,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    HollyC wrote: »
    Same here. I must get my binoculars out for tomorrow.
    Probably best to stick to naked eye viewing. Binoculars are unlikely to show you anything more and, if they are not of the best quality, will possibly just add distortion to your view.
  • Options
    jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,572
    Forum Member
    shackfan wrote: »

I did at first, then for some reason I thought of the Institute of Social Studies (ISS) in The Hague!
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member

Last time I saw it a few years back, it was so bright you could (easily) see it with the naked eye, even with a fair bit of light pollution.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Cloudy, rainy here, so can't see it tonight.
  • Options
    anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Options
    ZebedoinkZebedoink Posts: 381
    Forum Member
    This thread prompted me to go and have a look tonight, the linked website gave accurate information about time and direction and I had a happy 5 or 6 minutes watching the ISS pass.
  • Options
    belly buttonbelly button Posts: 17,026
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Zebedoink wrote: »
    This thread prompted me to go and have a look tonight, the linked website gave accurate information about time and direction and I had a happy 5 or 6 minutes watching the ISS pass.

Me too. It was fantastic wasn't it ! I can't believe I haven't seen it before. Wasn't it moving fast. :o

I've downloaded a great app called ISS Spotter that will send an alert to your phone before a possible sighting is due. It's also got a GPS tracker on it so you can see where it is.
  • Options
    charger21charger21 Posts: 2,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hoped to go see it too after reading this thread, even tempted the wife who is a keen photographer into trying to snap it but sadly it was far too cloudy here
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I've downloaded a great app called ISS Spotter that will send an alert to your phone before a possible sighting is due. It's also got a GPS tracker on it so you can see where it is.

Sound handy. I'll look into it.