Options

The situation between Mel B and her family

Comments

• Options
    delazarousdelazarous Posts: 503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think some people on here understand the concept of emotional or domestic violence. It doesn't matter now confident or bolshy you are, anyone can fall victim to it. Saying that Mel "doesn't seem the type" to put up with it is offensive.
    Agree absolutely - such a limited view of victims of domestic violence, along with the other comment "if she stays with him, she's a fool" is ignorant, victim blaming & actually adds to the problem, discouraging those who are abused from telling others and/or getting help!
  • Options
    GoatyGoaty Posts: 7,776
    Forum Member
    Sorry but why Mel B's news is on today's front pages? There's biggest news such as Sydney's siege? :(
  • Options
    JamieHTJamieHT Posts: 12,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He's very creepy. Always there in the VTs for X Factor which suggests to me he is very controlling. If she has left him I hope she's happier.
  • Options
    HankshawHankshaw Posts: 4,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sootysoo wrote: »
    You're talking as though you're a part of her inner circle or something. You can't possibly know he is isolating her from her family. Having seen her interact when she was in The Spice Girls, she's hardly a shrinking violet. Didn't Mel herself get into a fist fight with Mel C? Maybe Mel is the one abusing her husband physically if we're going to go down that road... :confused:

You are so offensive to me. To see you putting blame on Mel and expecting her family to back off when they probably know more than us. Now that news has come out of her leaving him I hope you feel thoroughly ashamed of yourself.
  • Options
    HankshawHankshaw Posts: 4,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    EvieJ wrote: »
    Just looking at the pics, they didn't do much to squash the rumours did they. A long sleeved dress and any old ring or gloves would of helped.

Its all publicity ;-)

Maybe Mel didn't want to cover it up. Maybe she wanted people to see. She flashed her hands for everyone to see no wedding ring.

If people on here can't see the obvious signs of domestic abuse, fine. But to suggest Mel and her family are the ones in the wrong is disgusting. No wonder so many women don't report things like this for fear of not being believed.
  • Options
    EvieJEvieJ Posts: 6,035
    Forum Member
    Hankshaw wrote: »
    Maybe Mel didn't want to cover it up. Maybe she wanted people to see. She flashed her hands for everyone to see no wedding ring.

If people on here can't see the obvious signs of domestic abuse, fine. But to suggest Mel and her family are the ones in the wrong is disgusting. No wonder so many women don't report things like this for fear of not being believed.

Clearly she didn't, that point has been made on a couple of occasions and noone has blamed mel or her family for domestic violence. Reread and you'll see I've defended the families reaction.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,182
    Forum Member
    Hankshaw wrote: »
    You are so offensive to me. To see you putting blame on Mel and expecting her family to back off when they probably know more than us. Now that news has come out of her leaving him I hope you feel thoroughly ashamed of yourself.

Get over it. :)

Who is blaming Mel for anything? You're twisting what I said and you should be ashamed of YOURSELF.

Clearly you're not very good at reading either, as having just read through that article (if you can call it that) it's nothing but a bunch of speculation. When asked to comment Mel's representatives have declined. Unbelievable, Do me a favour, don't go into law as a profession. :o
  • Options
    WhedoniteWhedonite Posts: 29,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Who is blaming Mel for anything? You're twisting what I said and you should be ashamed of YOURSELF.

You seemed to be implying that Mel could be an abuser simply because she has scrapped with a friend in the past. Where's the connection between having a bust up with a friend and beating up your spouse? Also, loud confident people can become victims of domestic violence. Not being a shrinking violet doesn't necessarily mean anything behind closed doors.

Just to clarify, I'm not accusing her husband of anything. I know nothing about their relationship.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,182
    Forum Member
    Whedonite wrote: »
    You seemed to be implying that Mel could be an abuser simply because she has scrapped with a friend in the past. Where's the connection between having a bust up with a friend and beating up your spouse? Also, loud confident people can become victims of domestic violence. Not being a shrinking violet doesn't necessarily mean anything behind closed doors.

Just to clarify, I'm not accusing her husband of anything. I know nothing about their relationship.

The implication that her husband had "previous" altercations with the law regarding domestic violence, therefore he MUST be abusing her now was brought up. To play devils advocate, I also brought up the fact that Mel ALSO had "previous" altercations of a violent nature with a friend. Therefore, couldn't she also be implicated in abusing her husband? I don't see why that was so difficult to understand. People were implying he abused her just because he had domestic violence in his past. Guilty until proven otherwise obviously. Not being a shrinking violet means what it means, I wasn't "victim blaming", which is frankly a phrase overused to the point it is now a red herring.
  • Options
    StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JamieHT wrote: »
    He's very creepy. Always there in the VTs for X Factor which suggests to me he is very controlling. If she has left him I hope she's happier.

:confused::confused::confused: Really?

Suggests to me that he is very supportive.

If I have my cynical hat on, maybe it suggests that it is a public show of support that isn't really heartfelt to protect their public image. If I have my very cynical hat on maybe it suggests he is out for a bit of publicity for himself.

But controlling? Because he appears in a VT? Really?:confused:

Maybe he is, but that isn't any kind of evidence of it.
  • Options
    di60di60 Posts: 5,432
    Forum Member

Clearly you're not very good at reading either, as having just read through that article (if you can call it that) it's nothing but a bunch of speculation. When asked to comment Mel's representatives have declined. Unbelievable, Do me a favour, don't go into law as a profession. :o

Granted Danielle Brown can be viewed as fame hungry, but there is nothing speculative about tweeting @Stephenthinks1 Ive recorded all your calls 4 the past week including your 330am abusive call and Mel visit2dad

IF there is no substance to these DV allegations, I would be expecting Stephen Belafonte to be looking at suing the Brown family for these slurs?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    di60 wrote: »
    Granted Danielle Brown can be viewed as fame hungry, but there is nothing speculative about tweeting @Stephenthinks1 Ive recorded all your calls 4 the past week including your 330am abusive call and Mel visit2dad

IF there is no substance to these DV allegations, I would be expecting Stephen Belafonte to be looking at suing the Brown family for these slurs?

So did Mel visit the family?
  • Options
    JamieHTJamieHT Posts: 12,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :confused::confused::confused: Really?

Suggests to me that he is very supportive.

If I have my cynical hat on, maybe it suggests that it is a public show of support that isn't really heartfelt to protect their public image. If I have my very cynical hat on maybe it suggests he is out for a bit of publicity for himself.

But controlling? Because he appears in a VT? Really?:confused:

Maybe he is, but that isn't any kind of evidence of it.

Maybe not. It's just a feeling I get.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    EvieJ wrote: »
    So did Mel visit the family?

Despite being accused of "talking as though you're a part of her inner circle or something." ... I have no idea.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Could you translate that tweet into English please - not down with the kids speak:D

who tweeted to whom (Yeah, to the whole world I know but who did they want the whole world to see they were directing comments at) - I read it as Sister tweeting husband? and what does the Mel visit2dad mean? she visited her Dad? Is she being asked to visit her dad? Are her mother and father estranged?

As for suing - The only direct accusation in that tweet is that Mel's Husband made an abusive call at 3:30am. I should imagine even if it isn't true that it would be unwise to spend upwards of six figures on a liable case over something so trivial.

Are there other direct DV allegations? Or just insinuation and tabloid hackery?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Could you translate that tweet into English please - not down with the kids speak:D

who tweeted to whom (Yeah, to the whole world I know but who did they want the whole world to see they were directing comments at) - I read it as Sister tweeting husband? and what does the Mel visit2dad mean? she visited her Dad? Is she being asked to visit her dad? Are her mother and father estranged?

As for suing - The only direct accusation in that tweet is that Mel's Husband made an abusive call at 3:30am. I should imagine even if it isn't true that it would be unwise to spend upwards of six figures on a liable case over something so trivial.

I know, I think there's being far too much implied to these tweets. I don't understand hoe asking how the children are is wrong? Children can be upset just because mums I'll!

If Mel has visited the family though......
  • Options
    Forum Member

With respect, you were the one that claims to have read the article... the "what have you done" tweet rang alarm bells with me, and appears to be some sort of accusation
  • Options
    Forum Member
    With respect, you were the one that claims to have read the article... the "what have you done" tweet rang alarm bells with me, and appears to be some sort of accusation

Well Mel has left her hubbie and admitted to having a fiery relationship. If Mel has said this to the family, then communication stopped and info witheld. What have you done seems like a reasonable question. :)
  • Options
    broadshoulderbroadshoulder Posts: 18,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What an awful family..

I hope those kids grow up with their controlling mum, dad and granny

Something tell's me they will probably cop for the lot.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    What an awful family..

I hope those kids grow up with their controlling mum, dad and granny

Something tell's me they will probably cop for the lot.

:confused: sorry I don't understand
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I didn't claim to read the article at all:confused:

I did indeed skim a DM 'article' and while there are insinuations, there are no overt accusations unless I missed them. You were the one talking about legal action so I presumed you would have seen accusations with more substance than in the tweet you quoted. As with the 'what have you done' tweet - no direct accusation that would stand up in a (extremely expensive) libel action.

Were you talking about suing the Daily Mail? That would come under tabloid hackery. No direct accusations, just 'sources suggest' type stuff that should really be ignored. I agree they shouldn't be allowed to print it unless true (or they at least believe it to be true) but libel is ruinously expensive. While I'm sure Mel might be able to fund such an action, would Husband? And if he could, would he be able to prove it had sufficiently damaged his reputation as to warrant a substantial damages award and costs?

Just because people don't sue for libel at the drop of a hat doesn't mean accusations (or accusatory insinuations) against them are true.
  • Options
    Forum Member

I didn't claim to read the article at all:confused:

I did indeed skim a DM 'article' and while there are insinuations, there are no overt accusations unless I missed them. You were the one talking about legal action so I presumed you would have seen accusations with more substance than in the tweet you quoted. As with the 'what have you done' tweet - no direct accusation that would stand up in a (extremely expensive) libel action.

Were you talking about suing the Daily Mail? That would come under tabloid hackery. No direct accusations, just 'sources suggest' type stuff that should really be ignored. I agree they shouldn't be allowed to print it unless true (or they at least believe it to be true) but libel is ruinously expensive. While I'm sure Mel might be able to fund such an action, would Husband? And if he could, would he be able to prove it had sufficiently damaged his reputation as to warrant a substantial damages award and costs?

Just because people don't sue for libel at the drop of a hat doesn't mean accusations (or accusatory insinuations) against them are true.

I apologise, I got you confused with sootysoo.

In response to your post, perhaps I should take sootysoo's advice then, and not go into law as a profession
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I apologise, I got you confused with sootysoo.

In response to your post, perhaps I should take sootysoo's advice then, and not go into law as a profession

No worries - easily done. I was confused rather than offended :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    No worries - easily done. I was confused rather than offended :)

:) there is probably some "projecting" [#38] coming from me too ;-)

It really is a bizarre situation..

Andrea Browns' tweets on Saturday night

Omg all my tears over last 3 days and there she is missed my staff Xmas party but worth it and I'm still crying #papersgotitwrong
    9:11 PM - 14 Dec 2014

Having a large glass of wine to celebrate even though I'm still bloody crying feel sooo stupid poor Melanie looks poorly!!
    9:35 PM - 14 Dec 2014

and to be tweeting with Arlene Phillips on the subject.... I really think these people need to change their privacy settings on Twitter...