Anybody remember Dramarama?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,451
Forum Member
✭✭✭
my favourite episode was when a little boy was transported to the 1940's, and they played the Ovaltine music on it :D

Comments

• BatchBatch Posts: 3,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The title sounds familiar. When was it on and what was the format?
  • WCLWCL Posts: 316
    Forum Member
    I used to love that show! Glued to the telly when it was on...
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I wonder if that's the series I've been thinking about?
    Was one of the stories about a young lad, who moves into a house and everytime he sees his reflection (in a mirror or puddle) he goes back in time (Victorian I think) and meets this girl who haunts him. Apparently the girl drowned in a pond.
  • mmlabbdmmlabbd Posts: 1,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember it, it was on Childrens ITV and it's listed (albeit briefly) on IMDB

mmlabbd
  • EsterhausEsterhaus Posts: 2,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There was even a Dramarama video released back in the late 80s featuring 3 episodes. Still pops up from time to time on ebay too for surprisingly cheap prices. Dramarama was excellent.
  • pelicanopelicano Posts: 6,055
    Forum Member
    I do indeed remember it! What a bizarre programme. Used to be on about 4pm on ITV I think.
  • I_AM_IRONIC_MANI_AM_IRONIC_MAN Posts: 113
    Forum Member
    I remember the Dramarama Spooky spinoff too, especially the episode with two boys trying to catch a glimpse of a masked wrestler's real face.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 371
    Forum Member
    this thread has unlocked two memories for me. I always used to love watching Dramarama on a thursday (I think) afternnon, as you never knew what you were going to get, but the original post somehow awoke a memory of a kids drama serial from 1978 called "come back, Lucy" about a ghost in a mirror that used to take a girl back to the victorian age that used to scare the beejesus out of me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    big_gav2 wrote:
    this thread has unlocked two memories for me. I always used to love watching Dramarama on a thursday (I think) afternnon, as you never knew what you were going to get, but the original post somehow awoke a memory of a kids drama serial from 1978 called "come back, Lucy" about a ghost in a mirror that used to take a girl back to the victorian age that used to scare the beejesus out of me.

AHHHHHHHHHHH Thank you, that's been bugging me for ages.

<Big Hug>

I know what you mean about how scary it was, the Victorian girl was a nasty moo.
    She tries to drown the modern girl so she will be with her forever?
    Edit: Not sure if it was part of the same line up, but there was also another ghost story around the same time about a family who find a bricked up room in their new house, and in side is either a helmet or a skeleton in a bed?

Have managed to google for 'Come back Lucy' lots of info out their.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    COME BACK, LUCY (1977)
    ATV

ABSORBING drama based on the Pamela Sykes novel about the titular girl (EMMA BAKHLE) who went to stay with some cousins she hardly knew. She was a bit bored, but things looked up when she found that she could look into a mirror and travel, Alice-style, back into a Victorian age, and meet a Victorian girl called Alice (BERNADETTE WINDSOR), similar to herself. The girl through the mirror was quite a disturbing character, who didn't want our Lucy returning to the 1970s. At one point she tried to keep Lucy trapped in Victorian times by concealing all the mirrors in the house. Happy ending, though, as Lucy found that she could get on with her cousins after all.

Found on TVCream website.
    Forum Member
    mrfreeze wrote:
    Edit: Not sure if it was part of the same line up, but there was also another ghost story around the same time about a family who find a bricked up room in their new house, and in side is either a helmet or a skeleton in a bed?

Gawd, I remember that one as well. My sister and I were quite convinced there was a secret room in the wall between our bedrooms for months after that was shown.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    big_gav2 wrote:
    Gawd, I remember that one as well. My sister and I were quite convinced there was a secret room in the wall between our bedrooms for months after that was shown.
    He he he :)
    Yeah I know what you mean, Wow I'm glad you logged on tonight.
    THE CLIFTON HOUSE MYSTERY (1980)
    LWT

KIDS' GHOST STORY about an old house recently moved into by a family who then experience poltergeist activity soon after. It started with an Auction where the kids discover an old civil war helmet which starts glowing, or something to the limit of the LWT effects department. The children eventually discover a sealed room in the house (after noticing the window to it one day) which had been sealed for centuries, and has a skeleton of a 17th century soldier in a red uniform lying in the double bed in the middle of the dusty, cobwebbed and dark room. The family attempt to exorcise the spirit of the dead soldier by getting a priest in to chant prayers, etc. at the foot of the bed, at which point the house is besieged by violent poltergeist activity (always accompanied by a mysteriously self-activating music box), with eerie coloured lights flashing about the house and spooky noises, culminating in the soldier "coming back to life" and sitting up. Then afterwards, all seems to be well, the corpse is removed and the room converted into another bedroom, until one day the poltergeist activity starts up again... Title sequence consisted of black and white line drawings of houses. - Aaron M Fisher, Clive A Shaw, A Halliwell

TV CREAM immortality rating -
    ...ALSO INVOLVED A LOCKED UP SECRET ROOM WHICH HAD BEEN WALLED UP AT THE END OF THE CIVIL WAR FOR SOME REASON...
    Forum Member
    Kids these days don't know they're born! lol
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    big_gav2 wrote:
    Kids these days don't know they're born! lol
    I'm sure they'll seem dated now, but they scared me so much I remember them even now. Wow I've been trying to remember those 2 programs for ages. Thanks for the memory jog. :)
    Forum Member
    mrfreeze wrote:
    I'm sure they'll seem dated now, but they scared me so much I remember them even now. Wow I've been trying to remember those 2 programs for ages. Thanks for the memory jog. :)

I'd actually totally forgotten about the secret room one, but after the memory nudge it all came flooding back.

my father actually had to take me outside to try and explain there would be no way that there could be a secret room in our house by pointing out the distance inbetween the windows.

It's just a shame that ITV won't ever make any dramas like these again, as since they've become one monolithic company, there's no innovation any more :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 181
    Forum Member
    "Not sure if it was part of the same line up, but there was also another ghost story around the same time about a family who find a bricked up room in their new house, and in side is either a helmet or a skeleton in a bed?"

This was the wonderful 'The Clifton House Mystery' from 1978 and starred Peter Sallis (Last of the Summer Wine) as the ghostbuster.

From memory it also had Brian Capron (Corrie's Richard Hillman) in a small role before he became Mr Kirkwood in Grange Hill though he isn't listed on the imdb.
    Forum Member
    kymbal wrote:
    From memory it also had Brian Capron (Corrie's Richard Hillman) in a small role before he became Mr Kirkwood in Grange Hill though he isn't listed on the imdb.

Mr Hopwood I thought ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 181
    Forum Member
    Of course it was Mr Hopwood!!!

Mr Kirkwood was a teacher at my old school!!!

Thanks for correcting me.
    Forum Member
    kymbal wrote:
    Of course it was Mr Hopwood!!!

Mr Kirkwood was a teacher at my old school!!!

Thanks for correcting me.

I thought it had to have come from somewhere! I hope you didn't have a crush on Mr Kirkwood like Claire Scott had on Hoppy! ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,451
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did anyone catch the two episodes on #oldskoolweekend? One was a pilot for Children's Ward I believe
  • lady_xanaxlady_xanax Posts: 5,662
    Forum Member
    I saw a bit of the one with the boy getting caught in mirrors. It was bizarre- can't believe they showed kids scary stuff like that...
  • RetroSpecsRetroSpecs Posts: 200
    Forum Member
    It was fabulous stuff. Remember being scared stiff by The Clifton House Mystery as well as some of the Dramarama episodes when I was a kid.
    Straight to Network's website when the old Skool weekend ended and brought both the spooky Dramarama set and a proper quality version of Clifton to replace my dodgy copy.
    Looking forward to being creeped out again :)