Options

A few random observations

MajorkeyMajorkey Posts: 328
Forum Member
Compulsory new forumite gush: great to see so many in one place interested in this show.

Now roll on the randomness:

-Naturally the show is built up into a 'do or die' scenario but it stands to reason that OTR will serve as an audition of sorts for many of the girls (as it already has for Bronte) for roles/productions yet unknown especially with the overall talent levels so high.

-Despite the continual '8 shows a week' rhetoric real life can and will intrude. A girl who 'loses' on this show could very well end up as an understudy or assume the Dorothy role in future. This happened exactly in the aftermath of the Maria competition as we saw Sound of Music at the London Palladium with Aoife in the lead role.

-ALW often compares OTR with the Maria competition with the Marias the worse for wear. I have to agree with him although Connie Fisher would have been formidable in any competition - fortunately the Maria role was perfect for her and it was more or less a walkover given her talent and fellow entrants.

-Isn't it ironic that Amy's looks worked against her? I've recorded all the shows and Amy's parting rendition of OTR was the best. Not saying she was right for the part but like the others her talent was undeniable.

-Each judge held his/her tongue in the first 3-4 weeks whilst the other judges spoke. That has gone out the window and there have been numerous squabbles and asides. John & Sheila are frequently at loggerheads. Charlotte has asserted herself on occasion but has managed to avoid being as nasty as the other two. Of course when you are as stunning as she it's a bit easier to pull off. Are the judges being encouraged to voice their disagreements a la a Simon Cowell production or is it just a natural part of sitting side by side for so long?

-The Marias were put into an acting scenario very early on with no costumes, props, sets, etc. (possibly more than once). It was a significant part of ALW's evaluations. So far we've seen only a brief stage test with the Dorothys having the benefit of full costume, makeup and another character to play off. The point of all this is that the judges & ALW keep saying that acting is equally as important but acting has barely been given a look in so far!

-The profiles and backstage interviews are agonisingly brief! It may be intentional on the part of the producers but they are as interesting as the performances! More please!

-I can't decide if I want to see more or less of the girls' families and supporters. The reactions are somewhat predictable of course but it can be entertaining whether the outcome is good or bad.

-No sense in redundant comments about individual girls here given the number of other threads going except to say that the Maria votes were quite predictable whereas this competition has me absolutely mystified in light of some of the girls that were put in the bottom two and/or who failed to earn an ALW save.

-Nothing overly negative to say about the remaining girls except that there are several who are clearly inferior to those already bounced out.

Comments