Options

Doc Martin (Part 16 — Spoilers)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 330
    Forum Member
    Biffpup wrote: »
    3. Evening of the gift of snoring strips.

I simply love his grin when he realises she means he can sneak up to her house and eating our is off the menu.
    The word "leering" was invented for that look.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    mmDerdekea wrote: »
    Conversation Explaining Why DM Lost So Much Weight:

School colleague To LG at lunch: Are you aware how many calories having sex can burn?
    LG: Er, no... That's an odd question...
    Colleague: Up to 90 kcal an hour, if it's vigorous.
    LG: I don't know why you're--
    Colleague: --You must be going at it like rabbits for DM to have lost so much weight!
    LG: Oh. I see. No, I just cook corn on the cob for dinner every night.

:D

But theme there's the question why she isn't fading away.

Louisa, coyly: " It's the only way he lets me eat chocolate digestives. And I love choco diggies.":p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I always thought Louisa was embarrassed or offended by Edith's prying and didn't tell the whole truth.

Completely wrong tactics. Imagine Edith's face if Louisa had implied that she couldn't possibly remember all the occasions.:D
  • Options
    MofromcoMofromco Posts: 1,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hello, NewPark.

I really do not think we can apply in our our more (I hope) well-adjusted heads what we seem might happen to DM and LG during those three weeks. Even if they had more sex than the few times LG said when suddenly confronted by her female nemesis, I can personally in no way believe that after those sex session it would lead to more in-depth normal, mature discussions of life, babies, one bank account or two, etc.

When they wake up from the first time, pretty much all LG can ask is if he 1) was slinking off (one can only assume LG has had that happen before with men; 2) regretted having sex (and where did THAT question come from?) and 3) if he still wanted to marry her.

Nothing about how they were going to invest money and save for retirement! :)

Considering the delicate conversations they had in those three weeks, stumbling about to be compromising, and trying to avoid setting each other off, to state that by, say, the third sexual act they were deciding who takes out the trash and who does the dishes is beyond the capacity of me to imagine our beloved duo.

So, I can believe they had more sex, and can certainly believe it did not lead to more profound post-sex chatter, as I do not think either of them could, at that point, really conceptualize or engage in profound post-sex chatter. I would be happy if, given what we have seen of our heroes up until them, at last LG stopped asking DM if he was slinking off.

Mona and New Park...this is an interesting topic. They did have roughly 3 weeks to prepare for the wedding. I would figure that they continued to have sex. By the time the wedding day arrived Martin was very keen on getting married. I believe for him the time had been idyllic. After all he spent part of his wedding day with his hand up a pig's arse to make it happen!

What had occurred the three weeks I have tried to speculate and it all reflects the people that they are and their backgrounds. What we have here is a pair of teenagers in grown up clothes. Martin doesn't talk. He is so enthralled with their love affair that he almost can't believe it. I would hopeore of Louisa but I have the feeling that she had not spent much time in a "live-in" situation.

I questioned why don't these adult people know what to talk about ? The answer is they totally lacked experience and they lacked mentors...even anyone as wise as some of the crones like myself, that are on this forum! Our Moms or Dads or Aunties would have helped us with these questions. Realistically, I don't believe Joan really thought this marriage was happening. She probably thought it presumptuous to discuss such issues with Martin..the forty something, 6 foot 3, grown man, surgeon from London some simplistic questions, plus there was no time. Louisa was even more alone than Martin! In any case, they were babes in the wood and didn't know the questions. They finally had realizations and some counsel on their wedding day which resulted in a sad outcome.
  • Options
    NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can believe in DM's naivete with respect to things he ought to be thinking about as he goes into married life, but Louisa has always struck me as a fair bit more sophisticated in these matters.

and I don't really expect them to be talking in detail about who's going to do the dishes, take out the garbage, etc., but whether or not they want children? how they're going to merge their households, manage their money? Surely it must have occurred to Louisa at least that there's more to marriage than the initial passion? I would have to say that NOT to broach these subjects, which are rather fraught in themselves, is some kind of denial of the dawning reality that in fact, passionate love or not, they may not be well suited to each other. (as of the end of S3, I hasten to add.)

But, who the heck knows? I certainly don't. Maybe they did have in the three weeks a couple of unsettling conversations that prepared the way for the decisions on wedding day. I suspect we're not meant to know. All grist for the mill.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NewPark wrote: »
    This is exactly my take. I think Pauline has an unwelcome bite, not spice. Although she is hugely funny. I like Morwenna a lot, for just the reasons you mention. Stretching a point, she is almost like a good daughter to DM. I think she is the one who may wind up a nurse, not Pauline.

Pauline did have her moments of meanness, but I really enjoyed the character and thought Katherine Parkinson was brilliant. About Morwenna, I guess we'll see. I think the character was a little slow to take off, but got more interesting as S5 progressed. Maybe we'll see more development of the character in S6.

The character of Elaine was like nails on a chalkboard to me, but I guess she served her purpose, as others have said, by illustrating just how different the Doc was from the general population of Portwenn. Out of curiosity I watched a couple of episodes of the US show "Ben and Kate" in which Lucy Punch had a role as a kind of eccentric sidekick. She was completely different, had a posh accent, and was really funny. She played it almost as a kind of Patsy Stone/Joanna Lumley type and really did well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think they had more sex than just three times. We know of a few specific times, but we can fill in the rest of the weeks together, when they were getting along so well, were sexually attracted to each other, and finally able to express their long hidden libidos. We have to fill in so many other touched upon plot points, this one is easy!

LG is a shy type at times, and being suddenly confronted by Edith on such an intimate topic, when she knows her Ob/Gyn has interest in DM, and she is in love with him but having huge relationship problems, could easily have her mind stumble and she just stuttered out some few times. That doesn't mean that's the ONLY times they did the deed! As we know, for example, the child was not small for its age upon suddenly premature delivery, so it's clear LG forgot a few times, or wasn't sure which unprotected rip-the-bodice- off intensity was the one which impregnated her. :D;)

Oh, I prefer to think they went at it much more than the three times of "a few" times. My list of three was just the three times we're sure of. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has anyone else noticed that the ads that blocked messages are now gone, but seem to have been replaced by loud, incredibly annoying trailers for movies, that you can't even find to turn off? They only occur when DigitalSpy is open, so it's something to do with them, I think.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I noticed the following capture under a photo of Doc Martin series 6 blog, where MC was posing with a fan in Wadebridge library:
    "It all happening in Wadebridge Library! Buffalo Pictures set the scene for 'Doc' Martin Ellingham to reluctantly take baby James to Millie's Play Time."

I can't wait to see that on screen! I guess it'll be hilarious to see proper Doctor Ellingham amidst the young mothers and loads of babies.
  • Options
    MofromcoMofromco Posts: 1,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can believe in DM's naivete with respect to things he ought to be thinking about as he goes into married life, but Louisa has always struck me as a fair bit more sophisticated in these matters.

and I don't really expect them to be talking in detail about who's going to do the dishes, take out the garbage, etc., but whether or not they want children? how they're going to merge their households, manage their money? Surely it must have occurred to Louisa at least that there's more to marriage than the initial passion? I would have to say that NOT to broach these subjects, which are rather fraught in themselves, is some kind of denial of the dawning reality that in fact, passionate love or not, they may not be well suited to each other. (as of the end of S3, I hasten to add.)

But, who the heck knows? I certainly don't. Maybe they did have in the three weeks a couple of unsettling conversations that prepared the way for the decisions on wedding day. I suspect we're not meant to know. All grist for the mill.

I don't think we're meant to know. I expected more of Louisa too, talking about kids, their relationship . I guess it can be chalked up to not enough time Period.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 219
    Forum Member
    1. Louisa reading the fairy tale to her students.
    2. The dream sequence where Martin and Louisa are picnicking.
    3. The dream sequence where Martin, as a boy, catches a butterfly and takes it to show his father.
    4. Scene where Mrs. Tishell says she could eat that man with a spoon.
    5. Scene outside Louisa's house where Martin tells Louisa that she would be a wonderful mother.
    6. Scene in Martin's kitchen where Martin and Louisa talk about what they hope for after Martin finishes his clock.
    7. The kiss under the tree after the concert.
    8. The ride home after the concert/ the look on his face after she closes the door.
    9. The proposal scene.
    10. Brief scene in the schoolyard where Louisa says she was just talking to her fiance.
    11. The proposal!!!
    12. Birth of the baby.
    13. Martin reads to baby James from the medical journal.
    14. Scene where Martin has gone back to his clock repair after Louisa leaves with the baby.
    15. Martin tells James that after he's finished washing up, they'll have some fun.
  • Options
    mmDerdekeammDerdekea Posts: 1,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I just remembered, I think, but in the S3 finale, when LG is up sitting on the hill with her very pregnant friend, doesn't the friend ask her about Martin's finances, being a doctor, and LG admits she doesn't know. Why lie to her best friend?

So, we know that some basic foundational information--how much do you earn? how much are you worth?--was not even discussed. I think they spent the three weeks stridently focused on not making mistaken verbal comments, and causing an argument, instead of trying to find communicate conversations most couples would touch upon before the wedding. If they could not even get through a dinner easily, discussing more mature subjects seemed beyond reason.

Well, DM did discuss LG's snoring habit....;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ReneeBird wrote: »
    But Louisa gave BT only two dates. :confused:

Just wondering--who is BT?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Gee, Shop Girl, I thought you would have been working on something more obscure by now, like the scenes where his suspenders show or we can tell he is wearing them. :)

I presume that Shop Girl is the forum's detective. Shop Girl, can you tell us what kind of aftershave Doc Martin uses?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Biffpup wrote: »
    Pauline did have her moments of meanness, but I really enjoyed the character and thought Katherine Parkinson was brilliant. About Morwenna, I guess we'll see. I think the character was a little slow to take off, but got more interesting as S5 progressed. Maybe we'll see more development of the character in S6.

The character of Elaine was like nails on a chalkboard to me, but I guess she served her purpose, as others have said, by illustrating just how different the Doc was from the general population of Portwenn. Out of curiosity I watched a couple of episodes of the US show "Ben and Kate" in which Lucy Punch had a role as a kind of eccentric sidekick. She was completely different, had a posh accent, and was really funny. She played it almost as a kind of Patsy Stone/Joanna Lumley type and really did well.

Well, even her easy-going father didn't particularly find Elaine that charming, although he wanted her well wishes for his new marriage. She was truly an entirely unpleasant woman. I disliked everything about Elaine and was so glad to see her go. We see DM, a highly respected surgeon in London, going to PW where his receptionist treated him horribly. I imagine in London, DM would have fired the butt of anyone below him speaking to him as Elaine did, so we see he is really out of his element to allow her to stay, I suppose.

I don't believe she represented the people of PW, as Al and Bert were entirely different, as were, honestly, all the other characters; why they stood by her side after she was fired is hard to fathom, except just a "us" vs. "new guy" situation.

But, I doubt I could have stuck with the show if she had stayed, to be honest. Nails on the blackboard just as Biffpup wrote. Luckily, The Powers That Be on the show realized she had to go, too!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes, this was as sweet as it gets! When he shows the baby the photo! And, the baby seemed very quiet and content around DM.
  • Options
    Shop GirlShop Girl Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I presume that Shop Girl is the forum's detective. Shop Girl, can you tell us what kind of aftershave Doc Martin uses?

I have yet to make it to Portwenn to get close enough to smell. :cool:

But if I were to hazard a guess, I think it might be an old favorite of mine from the 70s - 80s called "The Baron".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just remembered, I think, but in the S3 finale, when LG is up sitting on the hill with her very pregnant friend, doesn't the friend ask her about Martin's finances, being a doctor, and LG admits she doesn't know. Why lie to her best friend?

So, we know that some basic foundational information--how much do you earn? how much are you worth?--was not even discussed. I think they spent the three weeks stridently focused on not making mistaken verbal comments, and causing an argument, instead of trying to find communicate conversations most couples would touch upon before the wedding. If they could not even get through a dinner easily, discussing more mature subjects seemed beyond reason.

I think that is the point I was trying, probably badly, to make. They didn't have those conversations b/c they didn't want to have them -- my slant on it is that the discussions were too risky, in the sense of possibly leading them to realize how differently they felt about rather critical subjects, and from there to contemplating whether a hasty marriage was really a good idea.

Or I suppose worse -- each assumed the other felt as they did about critical issues and felt no need to discuss them. I'm remembering the amazement with which DM greeted Louisa's assertion that she didn't intend to be "a kept woman."
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 223
    Forum Member

I don't think she lied. She doesn't seem driven by money, she has her own money so why concern herself with Martin's. It's considered rude in the UK typically to ask how much you earn. I only asked my own husband the other month how much he gets, as I had to fill it in on a form on his behalf. I had no idea, never thought to ask either. It pays the bills so why bother knowing about each penny. When her other friend Holly said "you're boyfriend's got a bob or two" Louisa said "I wouldn't know". Why would she. I doubt she is googling "GP salary".

Unlike her parents Louisa doesn't seem to think money is the most important thing. Which is good.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just wondering--who is BT?

Bony Trollop -- an affectionate nickname for Edith/
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I e-mailed Acorn a couple of weeks ago asking about AcornTV.2, the upgraded streaming TV site, and the fact that an executive in an interview said they are hoping to air the new series shortly after it's shown on TV in the UK.

Got an answer today. It's better than in the past, but still not the few days we had hoped for. Here's what they said:

Thank you for your interest in Acorn TV. We will have the new Doc Martin exclusively this fall. We're still waiting to hear the dates we can start it, but we're hoping to release each episode one week at a time within a 4 week window after the UK broadcast.

Best wishes,
    Jen

Of course, I suppose "within a 4 week window" could mean sooner than 4 weeks. I'll probably join up. It's another source and it doesn't cost much (less than $30, I think) and it also gives you free shipping on things you order (like the S6 DM DVD's, when they become available). Right now they're offering a month's free trial. Lots of good British TV shows, looks like.

Advertisement over.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BodminDM wrote: »
    I noticed the following capture under a photo of Doc Martin series 6 blog, where MC was posing with a fan in Wadebridge library:
    "It all happening in Wadebridge Library! Buffalo Pictures set the scene for 'Doc' Martin Ellingham to reluctantly take baby James to Millie's Play Time."

I can't wait to see that on screen! I guess it'll be hilarious to see proper Doctor Ellingham amidst the young mothers and loads of babies.
    I saw that! Yes! I feel a really cute and funny scene coming on. I'm getting so excited!!!!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1. Louisa reading the fairy tale to her students.
    2. The dream sequence where Martin and Louisa are picnicking.
    3. The dream sequence where Martin, as a boy, catches a butterfly and takes it to show his father.
    4. Scene where Mrs. Tishell says she could eat that man with a spoon.
    5. Scene outside Louisa's house where Martin tells Louisa that she would be a wonderful mother.
    6. Scene in Martin's kitchen where Martin and Louisa talk about what they hope for after Martin finishes his clock.
    7. The kiss under the tree after the concert.
    8. The ride home after the concert/ the look on his face after she closes the door.
    9. The proposal scene.
    10. Brief scene in the schoolyard where Louisa says she was just talking to her fiance.
    11. The proposal!!!
    12. Birth of the baby.
    14. Scene where Martin has gone back to his clock repair after Louisa leaves with the baby.
    15. Martin tells James that after he's finished washing up, they'll have some fun.

I'm having so much fun reading everyone's lists! Here's one:

Mrs. T. in the castle window hollering down to DM that long "first you're together, then you're not....I can't take it anymore!" speech.

Oh, and Martin in the ambulance with his sleeves rolled up and that needle cap in his mouth. Sexy!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, even her easy-going father didn't particularly find Elaine that charming, although he wanted her well wishes for his new marriage. She was truly an entirely unpleasant woman. I disliked everything about Elaine and was so glad to see her go. We see DM, a highly respected surgeon in London, going to PW where his receptionist treated him horribly. I imagine in London, DM would have fired the butt of anyone below him speaking to him as Elaine did, so we see he is really out of his element to allow her to stay, I suppose.

I don't believe she represented the people of PW, as Al and Bert were entirely different, as were, honestly, all the other characters; why they stood by her side after she was fired is hard to fathom, except just a "us" vs. "new guy" situation.

But, I doubt I could have stuck with the show if she had stayed, to be honest. Nails on the blackboard just as Biffpup wrote. Luckily, The Powers That Be on the show realized she had to go, too!

I didnt like Elaine either but great writing and acting to gat the character right! Lucy Punch left the show for a better offer in the US. But for that we'd still have her . :eek::eek::eek:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always assumed that the few times that she was forced to mention to Edith were the times that were unprotected. I like to think that there were a number of other occasions where they had their act together!

Yes so do I. I like the thought that DM lost control.
    Also not all contraception is 100%. I got pregnant on the pill (had food poisoning mid cycle) and using a diaphragm (who knew you needed a new one after a pregnancy!)
This discussion has been closed.