Options

Dead Famous DNA

2»

Comments

• Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    I'm finding it all a bit silly to be honest, there's no real proof of anything he's tested so far, that it actually came from the people it's being claimed about.

All the build up etc, is nonsense, if anything important or interesting had been found, someone would have let the cat out of the bag before the show was aired.
  • Options
    Yorkie47Yorkie47 Posts: 1,487
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is no way in a million years that he could have been the son of Elvis!

Didn't look like him, didn't sound like him! Strange story, I wonder if his mother had a fling with Elvis or was she some kind of fantasist? :confused:
  • Options
    Smiley433Smiley433 Posts: 7,900
    Forum Member
    Yorkie47 wrote: »
    Didn't look like him, didn't sound like him! Strange story, I wonder if his mother had a fling with Elvis or was she some kind of fantasist? :confused:

I did wonder that too. Either she really did have a fling with the real Elvis which resulted in this guy, or she really did have a fling with the real Elvis but didn't result in this guy (some other liaison at the same time did), or she's fabricated a story the reason for which we'll probably never know.

Where does that leave this guy? Still not knowing who his father really is.
  • Options
    mariegriffithsmariegriffiths Posts: 239
    Forum Member
    Now that Mark Evans has Adolf Hilter's DNA he could approach the Dismal Channel for a followup to his "A Car is Born Series" called "A Furher is Born".

Week One: He gathers up some of the women from "Addicted to Surrogacy" and creates a bunch of "Boys from Brazil" in a dodgy lab in Rio.
    Week Two: With the help of celebrities Ester Razen and Claudia Winkleman he stirs up anti-semite feelings in one poor child. *
    Week Three: The kid is helped to become a UKIP candidate under the guidance of George Farrage.
    Week Four: He is takes over News International from Rupert Murdoch.
    Week Five: He finally gets his Nazi uniform from Prince Harry, a hand me down from Uncle Edward.

*Carefully keeping the child from geniuses such as Jackie Mason, Robert Winston and Mel Brooks Before I'm taken the wrong way. Ester Razen and Claudia Winkleman would be just as awfull whatever religion they were.
  • Options
    mountymounty Posts: 19,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    didnt watch the second episode

was it as shit or shitter than the first? could only be one of those two
  • Options
    starrystarry Posts: 12,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't see the first episode but saw the second two and it was disappointing unfortunately. Hardly anything was discovered. And the guy going on about how he wanted to own Lennon's genone was ridiculous. Why would it be worth millions when Lennon's own son (not mentioned) has hardly done anything? He wasn't that great a musical genius, now if it was Mozart, Beethoven or JS Bach it might actually be worth something. But it looks like technology doesn't get much from most old DNA samples at present making the program, as I think someone said here, just about strange relics.
  • Options
    DavonatorDavonator Posts: 4,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    An interesting series this one.

First off, I do think the show struggles to convince in its main claim, to give DNA insights into what made famous people tick. Often the evidence is false, and too many of the claims try and make a big deal of very little.

Do we really need it spelt out to us that Elvis had addiction genes, we could guess that from the numerous anecdotes of his addictive behaviour. Is it really a big deal that Eva Braun had some Jewish ancestry down the line. If her mother or grandfather was Jewish maybe.....but her ancestors?

But the show succeeded on the secondary level of showing just how thriving and seedy this underground body parts trade is. I really didn't know it was so lucrative and that there were creepy people like the John Lennon dentist out there
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Davonator wrote: »
    Is it really a big deal that Eva Braun had some Jewish ancestry down the line. If her mother or grandfather was Jewish maybe.....but her ancestors?

I agree, but the point is they were so lacking a big story they had to end up bigging something up.
  • Options
    mseven1mseven1 Posts: 995
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    waz101 wrote: »
    The Presenter Mark Evans is actually a qualified Vet, not sure that improves his credentials for presenting this show though?

Vets are also qualified as human doctors.
    mounty wrote: »
    I'm glad we had the elvis dna to tell us that a healthy diet and exercise could have prolonged his life

it would be impossible to draw such a conclusion in any other way

Elvis' heart problem would mean that he would have died even if he wasn't fat.
    There is no way in a million years that he could have been the son of Elvis!

It is possible that someone could be the illegitimate child of Elvis but there would be many people who claim they or their child is for attention or money.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mseven1 wrote: »
    It is possible that someone could be the illegitimate child of Elvis but there would be many people who claim they or their child is for attention or money.

There are quite a few illegitimate children of famous people out there for sure. McCartney has at least one I think, but I don't think he wanted to claim anything and has just lived an anonymous life.
  • Options
    Yorkie47Yorkie47 Posts: 1,487
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think Elvis died because he was fat. Apparently, around the time of his death he was about 17 stone. Now that is clearly significantly overweight but we're not talking absolutely massive, like 25 stone or something. Lots of men 6 ft tall are around 16 or 17 stone and they're not dropping dead at 42. Elvis' mother died of heart disease at 46 and his father died (after Elvis) of heart disease.

Obviously Elvis would have had a much healthier life if he had eaten sensibly and not taken prescription drugs - but it seems he was destined to die fairly young. If you have a familial fault in your dna then it seems inevitable that you go when your genetic time is up!
  • Options
    theidtheid Posts: 6,060
    Forum Member
    Vets are also qualified as human doctors.

In what country could a qualified vet also legally practice as a human doctor without having trained and taken the relevant examinations? A person who is a qualified vet could also train to be a human doctor, but the training is separate, as is qualification.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 34
    Forum Member
    Vets treat dumb animals, doctors humans who speak. There's no connection!
    Eh! Hold on a sec! May be doctors should train as vets too knowing some of the human race.:D
  • Options
    mseven1mseven1 Posts: 995
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    theid wrote: »
    In what country could a qualified vet also legally practice as a human doctor without having trained and taken the relevant examinations? A person who is a qualified vet could also train to be a human doctor, but the training is separate, as is qualification.

Here in the UK when they train to be a vet they learn about mammals including humans so they are also trained as a human doctor but licenced to work on animals. A vet could legally practice as a human doctor if they get a licence to practice as a human doctor. In emergencies a vet would be able to be a human doctor.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 43
    Forum Member
    Here in the UK when they train to be a vet they learn about mammals including humans so they are also trained as a human doctor but licenced to work on animals. A vet could legally practice as a human doctor if they get a licence to practice as a human doctor. In emergencies a vet would be able to be a human doctor.

The vets at my university cover some of the same physiology and biochemistry as the medical students but there are several differences. They don't study human anatomy, following a separate animal anatomy course instead, and they also followed a different pharmacology course. At the clinical level, they don't have any training in performing examinations and procedures on humans. So they aren't trained as human doctors. I'm pretty sure that if a vet wanted to become a human doctor they would have to join a 4 year graduate medical course like any other graduate would.
  • Options
    theidtheid Posts: 6,060
    Forum Member
    This sheds some light on the issues of veterinarians acting as physicians:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC340065/