The role of your GP in weight loss

12346»

Comments

• Susan_A1951Susan_A1951 Posts: 1,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I guess I am risk of sounding far too "holier than our" - which I am certainly not. Two daughters and one is continually fighting a weight problem. I know I used sugar treats far too much when they were young - and wish I could go back and do it again.

There is so much pressure out there - advertising and peer pressure. I am now type 2 diabetic and to my surprise - after a year or too of avoiding sugar based food, no longer crave sugar food - even the usual processed foods - it now tasted horrible sweet - even tomato soup!

I am now regretting the foods I fed my kids - and wish I could go back and do it again.
    Most importantly - what I considered to be "treats". Why did I ever give them chocolate and icecream and all the crap I now realise was giving them all the wrong signals.
    Comfort foods? So lazy and so wrong.
  • HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do think some GPs don't know enough about weight loss, nutrition etc.

My friend has two adult daughters. They were brought up on the same food .... Homegrown and home cooked as they grow all their own stuff. From tiny children, one was a chubby little thing (like her Mum) and the other was like a stick (like her Dad). neither were very sporty but they rode bikes and went on family walks etc. and ate a healthy, wholesome diet.

As they reached their teens the difference between them increased. The thin one stayed stick thin despite eating very well and the school even got in touch suggesting she might be anorexic!! The chubby one got really plump and had to just cut out certain foods to avoid being obese.

It is interesting because they now have kids of their own and their kids are following the family pattern. They're all good, non-fussy eaters but the difference in their sizes is dramatic.
  • BlueEyedMrsPBlueEyedMrsP Posts: 12,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hotgossip wrote: »
    I do think some GPs don't know enough about weight loss, nutrition etc.

My friend has two adult daughters. They were brought up on the same food .... Homegrown and home cooked as they grow all their own stuff. From tiny children, one was a chubby little thing (like her Mum) and the other was like a stick (like her Dad). neither were very sporty but they rode bikes and went on family walks etc. and ate a healthy, wholesome diet.

As they reached their teens the difference between them increased. The thin one stayed stick thin despite eating very well and the school even got in touch suggesting she might be anorexic!! The chubby one got really plump and had to just cut out certain foods to avoid being obese.

It is interesting because they now have kids of their own and their kids are following the family pattern. They're all good, non-fussy eaters but the difference in their sizes is dramatic.

That doesn't surprise me at all. I think there is a lot of influence where genetics are concerned, but there will always be those who can't accept that and be adamant that the heavier person must be secretly eating pies and cake in the middle of the night. There is so much shame and ridicule for those who don't fit a certain aesthetic ideal; I keep hearing people say we shouldn't be so 'accommodating' to fat people. :confused: I daresay those people have never tried to shop for clothes at a size 24 or larger. Go put on a fat-suit that increases your body to that clothing size and tell me then how easy it is. 99% of the clothes out there cater to those of average weight. I'm not saying it should be any different, but I have to roll my eyes at those who think there are masses of people who go out of their way to be 'nice' to anyone who's obese or walk on egg-shells around them. It just doesn't happen.

Perhaps they're watching a show like 'Big Body Squad' where they have ambulances, wheelchairs, stretchers, and other devices that allow health professionals to attend to the obese patients, but are those patients somehow not entitled to a level of care similar to other patients? They're still human beings.

Or maybe to some people, asking them to treat others with basic dignity equates to 'fat acceptance'. There are those with no filter between their mouth and brain and just can't help themselves when they see a fat person. I'm not expecting anyone to do anything special for me, but asking them not to be an ar$eh0le isn't too much to expect.
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Women have a double problem in that social pressure means exercise is sometimes seen as untrendy.

Fitness is surely another factor that adds to risk, with unfit likely not really being a natural state to be. But 'fit and big' is likely more natural.
  • sweetpeanutsweetpeanut Posts: 4,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    Women have a double problem in that social pressure means exercise is sometimes seen as untrendy.

Fitness is surely another factor that adds to risk, with unfit likely not really being a natural state to be. But 'fit and big' is likely more natural.

Surely not these days? You cant go past a field where I live without "boot camp" type training going on. I thought exercise these days and for over 20 years has been very trendy?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 195
    Forum Member
    Unless if you're really obese I don't think people need to see the doctor for advice about losing weight. There's plenty of information out there you can find on the internet or in magazines. The main points for a healthier diet are:

1) Less fatty foods
    2) Less sugary foods
    3) Less carbs
    4) More fruit and veg
    5) Exercise

There's not a lot more to it than that really.
  • DaisyBillDaisyBill Posts: 4,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surely not these days? You cant go past a field where I live without "boot camp" type training going on. I thought exercise these days and for over 20 years has been very trendy?

Are they for women?
    I think a lot of women are afraid to train seriously in case they put on muscle, or even just get a certain lean look. It isn't seen as feminine (wrongly IMO).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DaisyBill wrote: »
    Are they for women?
    I think a lot of women are afraid to train seriously in case they put on muscle, or even just get a certain lean look. It isn't seen as feminine (wrongly IMO).

Yes my daughter goes to them about 4 times a week. Her body is now really toned and she has two children under 2 and a half. She was worried at first as she didn't think she would be able to do it, but she loves it and hates to miss a class.
  • AxtolAxtol Posts: 8,480
    Forum Member
    alanwarwic wrote: »

Not a woman here but I'm what you might call fit and big. No one ever believes that I weigh as much as I do but from where I can see it I still have too much fat on me because I want my six pack abs and I know they are there but hidden right now.
  • WeeblesWobbleWeeblesWobble Posts: 1,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ask for Orlistat, they'll only give it to obese people but in the short-term it shreds the weight. It has side effects which a nurse will probably talk you through but it does the job.
  • molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

But look again how many of those are really fat ? it's lovely for already thin or fit people to get out there showing off but how many people who really need it get out there ? some groups round here eve discourage fat people from joining as it spoils the look of the group !
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ask for Orlistat, they'll only give it to obese people but in the short-term it shreds the weight. It has side effects which a nurse will probably talk you through but it does the job.

Only if your problem is fat it does diddly squat if you consume sugar.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    molliepops wrote: »
    But look again how many of those are really fat ? it's lovely for already thin or fit people to get out there showing off but how many people who really need it get out there ? some groups round here eve discourage fat people from joining as it spoils the look of the group !

My reply was to someone saying exorcise isnt trendy, I was saying different.

Ive seen many fat people doing all kinds of exorcise over the years, Not the very obese but then it would not be recommended for them until they get down to a manageable level.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I find it somewhat incredulous that obese people are ridiculed not just for being fat but for doing something about it like walking or cycling. I mean really, what is that all about? If you're one of those people who mock someone who's overweight, ask yourself what you think it accomplishes. Fat people don't need your approval or sympathy, they just want you to keep your unwanted opinions to yourself.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find it somewhat incredulous that obese people are ridiculed not just for being fat but for doing something about it like walking or cycling. I mean really, what is that all about? If you're one of those people who mock someone who's overweight, ask yourself what you think it accomplishes. Fat people don't need your approval or sympathy, they just want you to keep your unwanted opinions to yourself.

I live in the countryside and see a lot of big people running, walking, cycling and I very much admire them. Its not something I could do, so I envy their courage. I have seen the comments that they get ( on here) and its not nice.

I was always very thin but even in those days I always thought "good on you" when I see someone getting back on track.
    I dance my way to health. I do a walk exorcise where I dance as I walk, but only indoors.
  • zelanazelana Posts: 4,618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It doesn't work for everyone. It works on the fat you eat so it's not likely to benefit anyone who has already reduced their fat intake.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I live in the countryside and see a lot of big people running, walking, cycling and I very much admire them. Its not something I could do, so I envy their courage. I have seen the comments that they get ( on here) and its not nice.

I was always very thin but even in those days I always thought "good on you" when I see someone getting back on track.
    I dance my way to health. I do a walk exorcise where I dance as I walk, but only indoors.

I generally assume that those who feel the need to insult someone without provocation are mental midgets anyway, but still, it doesn't feel very nice to have people treat you that way.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes my daughter goes to them about 4 times a week. Her body is now really toned and she has two children under 2 and a half. She was worried at first as she didn't think she would be able to do it, but she loves it and hates to miss a class.

Good for her. I bet she feels so much better for it as well as looking great :) I do think it's getting more popular for younger women to work out now. I don't think many women would have done boot camps or lifted weights 30 years ago. I remember when the gladiators were on TV in the early 90's, women like Jet and Lightening really stood out and showed that being fit and athletic didn't stop them being feminine.
  • WeeblesWobbleWeeblesWobble Posts: 1,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know someone who started orlistat and they lost 3 stone in a month so yea it works but I'm not saying it's a sustainable solution you'll have to come off it and live a healthy life at some point.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good for her. I bet she feels so much better for it as well as looking great :) I do think it's getting more popular for younger women to work out now. I don't think many women would have done boot camps or lifted weights 30 years ago. I remember when the gladiators were on TV in the early 90's, women like Jet and Lightening really stood out and showed that being fit and athletic didn't stop them being feminine.

She does look great for it. Also the time away from home and kids does her good.

I'm thinking of taking up weight lifting. for toning and bone health. Not those great big weights just the ones to get me fitter and toned as well as helping my bones in their old age.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know someone who started orlistat and they lost 3 stone in a month so yea it works but I'm not saying it's a sustainable solution you'll have to come off it and live a healthy life at some point.

That isnt doable, on any diet or pill.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I agree and even if it was it would kill the dieter as they would be consuming no food at all.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I've seen people on the biggest loser (USA version) lose up to 28 pounds in one week. They do really extreme training ,plus they are really heavy to start off with.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've seen people on the biggest loser (USA version) lose up to 28 pounds in one week. They do really extreme training ,plus they are really heavy to start off with.

That is different they are super morbidly obese, they are locked in and have to exorcise all the time. They will only lose that high amount in their first week.

Taking a pill is not going to lose Joe Bloggs three stone in a a mth
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That is different they are super morbidly obese, they are locked in and have to exorcise all the time. They will only lose that high amount in their first week.

Taking a pill is not going to lose Joe Bloggs three stone in a a mth

As fat as I am, I would not be even the slightest bit interested in a pill that promised that much weight loss so quickly. From everything that I've read, slow and steady seems to be the best way if you want to keep it off, but many people are impatient and get discouraged when they don't see huge numbers (in terms of loss) on the scale, so they get sucked in by incredible claims, hence the popularity of fad diets.

I'm not against using exercise to help lose weight, if you're building muscle that will help you to use up more calories. I wouldn't endorse insane amounts of exercise though, especially for the very obese as it will likely lead to injury, which means they can't exercise, which means back to being sedentary, which will likely make it much harder to keep losing weight and may even mean putting weight back on. NOT a good situation.

Plenty of people talk about "kick starting" their weight loss with a low-calorie diet, and while it's necessary to cut back on calories to lose weight, cutting it back to far less that what your body needs (at a healthy weight) just seems like a recipe for disaster to me. Conventional wisdom would say that for me to maintain my current weight I would be eating far more than 1800 to 2000 calories a day, and I probably was, so for me, if I cut back to that amount, I will lose weight at a steady rate and not feel hungry. I also had to cut back on the sugar because I felt it was throwing my appetite out of whack with what it should be. I have lost weight, not a massive amount, but I notice my clothes fit looser than before.

Coming back to the original topic of my thread, I haven't sought advice from my GP specifically about losing weight, I've been recently regarding my blood pressure which is fine now, and to discuss my bloodwork which is also normal (I was concerned about being pre-diabetic). I already do a lot of walking so I don't feel that I need advice from them on that front. I guess I'm assuming that my GP would tell me to follow a low-fat diet which I'm not interested in because of what I've learned in the past year or two.