Options

major charles Ingram and those cheat claimes

big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,153
Forum Member
✭✭
Anyone remember the who wants to be a millionaire cough scandal? Well here it is for anyone interested to watch the tonight show again

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&ei=yjG5U4neDaqM7Qb39YHwDw&url=http://m.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DHeR4jS_IO7Y&cd=7&ved=0CC0QtwIwBg&usg=AFQjCNFyCGsd4BF9bpqhk0yzVlhmzUUMHg
I watched the documentary with Martin Bashir about the who wants to be a millionaire coughing scandal on YouTube and followed it up with a bit of googling the major and came across this article.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2006/jul/17/couldthewhowantstobeami

Now what I want to ask is what is everyone's opinions on the whole furore,?

for me they are guilty but after that article above, it surely brings up new evidence................are the coughing 3 innocent?

Comments

• Options
    CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm up for clames. With sautéed onions and wine nom nom nom
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's a very intriguing piece there - especially the stuff about responsive coughing.
  • Options
    performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally I don't think there was a single straight £1 million win on that show. They would never have let £1 million go to just anybody. Funny how no-one won the top prize after they changed the entry rules and the format... Some of the various controversies are mentioned on the wikipedia page - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Who_Wants_to_Be_a_Millionaire%3F_(UK_game_show) :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,510
    Forum Member
    I will get strung up for this but I found it funny, wouldn't have done it myself but yes, he was a slightly dim nice bloke, something strange about the wife though
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,279
    Forum Member
    I'm up for clames. With sautéed onions and wine nom nom nom
    Yeah, much better than claimes :D
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,274
    Forum Member
    *cough*
  • Options
    DaisyBillDaisyBill Posts: 4,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched the episode a few years ago. It was pretty obvious what was going on.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DaisyBill wrote: »
    I watched the episode a few years ago. It was pretty obvious what was going on.

I've also seen the episode and i've seen the documentary, but reading the article in the OP does indeed provide a different slant on it.
  • Options
    TheDevil666TheDevil666 Posts: 899
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've always thought he was innocent. What seems to be glossed over is that Ingram thought he knew the answer, the correct one, the majority of the time, and the idea of the scam is just so ludicrous.

If you were planning to scam a show, particularly such a well-known show, wouldn't you do your planning in advance, not in between the first and second filming?

And Chris Tarrant never heard any coughs either.

Baffles me as to how they were ever convicted; the evidence was circumstantial at best.
  • Options
    big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It ruined his life aswell, if in fact they did cheat then for me it's probably more down to his wife as she looks like she wears the trousers.

Mind you fellas, who's wives don't wear the trousers in their household?
  • Options
    MustabusterMustabuster Posts: 5,975
    Forum Member
    I just read the article and re-watched the video. I still think they're guilty. His wife is also a battle-axe.
  • Options
    coughthecatcoughthecat Posts: 6,876
    Forum Member
    I've always thought he was innocent. What seems to be glossed over is that Ingram thought he knew the answer, the correct one, the majority of the time, and the idea of the scam is just so ludicrous.

There were too many occasions when he thought he knew the answer, only to suddenly dismiss it and go for one he'd previously discounted ... like the time he thought the album was by A1 ... or when he thought the architect designed Berlin ... or when he thought the final answer was nanomole.

The most revealing one was the £500,000 question. As Tarrant read out the answers, Ingram responded to each of them in turn. He shook his head at Rome, and again shook his head at Paris. Then when Berlin came up, he nodded and looked up at Tarrant. He immediately said he thought it was Berlin. He even said if he was sitting at home, he'd be saying Berlin. He repeatedly discounted Paris, then for absolutely no reason, he suddenly went for Paris. He didn't give a reason or explanation why he went for it or why he suddenly decided to rule out Berlin. For the sort of money he stood to lose, even if someone was just guessing they'd at least try to have an educated guess and say why, especially if they talked their way through the options as Ingram did. There was nothing like that. He suddenly just did a U-turn of epic proportions.
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I always thought the later celeb editions were a bit off, they are playing for charity but the charity would only have got half of what they won as half went to a viewer in the competition.
  • Options
    Poppy99_PoppyPoppy99_Poppy Posts: 2,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    His wife (think her name is Diane) designs jewellery and she sells it at county shows and Christmas Markets. He mans the stall. I saw him at Bath Xmas mkt last year, and a County Show early in June. I became aware of the connection because at the Bath Mkt a few young men walked by his stall doing exaggerated coughing, then I realised it was him. He did not seem fazed!
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    Claimes?

Ite wase obviouse.
  • Options
    TheDevil666TheDevil666 Posts: 899
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There were too many occasions when he thought he knew the answer, only to suddenly dismiss it and go for one he'd previously discounted ... like the time he thought the album was by A1 ... or when he thought the architect designed Berlin ... or when he thought the final answer was nanomole.

The most revealing one was the £500,000 question. As Tarrant read out the answers, Ingram responded to each of them in turn. He shook his head at Rome, and again shook his head at Paris. Then when Berlin came up, he nodded and looked up at Tarrant. He immediately said he thought it was Berlin. He even said if he was sitting at home, he'd be saying Berlin. He repeatedly discounted Paris, then for absolutely no reason, he suddenly went for Paris. He didn't give a reason or explanation why he went for it or why he suddenly decided to rule out Berlin. For the sort of money he stood to lose, even if someone was just guessing they'd at least try to have an educated guess and say why, especially if they talked their way through the options as Ingram did. There was nothing like that. He suddenly just did a U-turn of epic proportions.

The A1/Craig David question was just bizarre. The documentary claimed that, because Whittock didn't cough on that one, Ingram's wife helped him. This was despite the fact that all she did was a hurried, muffled cough from a too great a distance away.

I agree that some of his U-turns were bizarre, but that was just part of his eccentric character and he was playing up to the audience.

I don't think that anyone would try such a hurried, poorly thought through scam, nor do I think Ingram would place so much trust in a man he barely knew.

The whole thing just doesn't make sense, and the prosecution is full of holes; particularly on the Eden question where Whittock is supposed to have loudly whispered "no" when Ingram nearly went for the wrong answer. Wouldn't somebody next to, or behind, him have heard?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ffs let it go.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,692
    Forum Member
    If I had a time machine I'd go back, infiltrate the audience and cough really loud at all the wrong answers...
  • Options
    DahuDahu Posts: 362
    Forum Member
    In-depth article here
    http://www.ukgameshows.com/ukgs/The_Ingrams_Millionaire_Trial

Hard to see how they could be innocent.
  • Options
    coughthecatcoughthecat Posts: 6,876
    Forum Member
    The A1/Craig David question was just bizarre. The documentary claimed that, because Whittock didn't cough on that one, Ingram's wife helped him. This was despite the fact that all she did was a hurried, muffled cough from a too great a distance away.

I agree that some of his U-turns were bizarre, but that was just part of his eccentric character and he was playing up to the audience.

Amazing how his "eccentric character" didn't come out so much in the rounds when he clearly knew the answer! He said Onassis for the Jacqueline Kennedy question and stuck with it, despite claiming he wasn't sure. Same with the Emmental question. Same with the cricket question. Same with the Holbein answer. If someone was going to dick around and play to the audience, surely they'd do it when they were certain of the answer and/or there was a lot less at stake.

In the rounds when he clearly didn't know the answer, he again picked one, but suddenly switched to a "strategy" of changing his mind.
    I don't think that anyone would try such a hurried, poorly thought through scam, nor do I think Ingram would place so much trust in a man he barely knew.

History is littered with hurried, poorly thought out scams! The number of TV programmes about dumb criminals is testament to that. In any case, my understanding is that it wasn't poorly thought out ... it was poorly executed. If he'd bailed out before getting into the really big money, we wouldn't even be discussing it.
    The whole thing just doesn't make sense, and the prosecution is full of holes; particularly on the Eden question where Whittock is supposed to have loudly whispered "no" when Ingram nearly went for the wrong answer. Wouldn't somebody next to, or behind, him have heard?

Well, it was on tape! Plus, what would someone sitting near him do in that situation ... stand up and announce that he'd just said "no"?