Americans - What's your perception on them?

Comments

• Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    Wow! Just WOW!

Seems we have a few wrong ones here as well.

Perhaps we can console ourselves with having better trolls.
  • BrooklynBoyBrooklynBoy Posts: 10,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So they are Mexican and my friend now in LA drinks Corona beer with lime in it which is also Mexican. Do you have anything of your own? :D
    On behalf off the UK, I'd like to apologise and distance myself from some of these comments.

Please put them down to ignorance.

Ok then.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I take the stance on America and the Americans that Jeremy Clarkson takes on the French.
    He was asked by a French man in France why he [Jeremy] hated France, when it was such a beautiful country. Jeremy answered back, oh I agree it is beautiful, unfortunately it is full of the French.
  • Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Americans seem to have an odd sense of humour...eg, i just cannot see whats remotely funny about any of their 'comedy' shows (so called) with the dubbed in laughter. It all seems very lame and tame and they don't 'do' self deprecating humour. They also get quite touchy about anyone poking fun at them.

It's a country i'd love to visit as i'm sure they can't all be bad....can they? But i'd no doubt get myself shot by some gun toting redneck in the first Bar i set foot in by saying the 'wrong thing'!
  • Flat MattFlat Matt Posts: 7,023
    Forum Member
    Bulletguy1 wrote: »
    Americans seem to have an odd sense of humour...eg, i just cannot see whats remotely funny about any of their 'comedy' shows (so called) with the dubbed in laughter. It all seems very lame and tame and they don't 'do' self deprecating humour. They also get quite touchy about anyone poking fun at them.

It's a country i'd love to visit as i'm sure they can't all be bad....can they? But i'd no doubt get myself shot by some gun toting redneck in the first Bar i set foot in by saying the 'wrong thing'!

I agree about their sitcoms, but Family Guy is one of the funniest things I've ever seen.

Their chat shows are an awful lot better than ours as well.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

To be fair, I don't see a lot of comedy in UK shows either. I am talking about people like Russell Howard, Drifters, Man Down, Miranda Hart, Sarah Millican etc etc.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Flat Matt wrote: »
    I agree about their sitcoms, but Family Guy is one of the funniest things I've ever seen.

Their chat shows are an awful lot better than ours as well.
    FANNY_ANNE wrote: »
    To be fair, I don't see a lot of comedy in UK shows either. I am talking about people like Russell Howard, Drifters, Man Down, Miranda Hart, Sarah Millican etc etc.
    There is one which seems to always be on some channel (no idea which but one of the Freeview ones) and i cannot for the life of me remember what it's called, but people are always sitting around in a lounge and making conversation (cue the 'canned' laughter), then someone else comes in the room and says something not funny (cue more 'canned' laughter)......and i'm thinking WTF is this crap???? :confused::confused:

Obviously it gets flicked off!

America has made some good 'wacko' movie classics such as the Blues Brothers which also has great music in too. Hanna-Barbera also turned out some brilliant cartoons, most notably The Flintstones, but one which is a real rarity as it's never been repeated since it first aired in the 70's was Wait Till Your Father Gets Home. That really is unique in the humour is often self deprecating, but also it's quite controversial which is why it doesn't get aired.

The potty pc lot would have it banned in an instant! >:(

I've got the entire collection on DVD though. :D
  • Corkhead.Corkhead. Posts: 445
    Forum Member
    I have spent a lot of time in the US down the years, mostly in connection with my military service in the navy but also as a visitor in my own right.

I very much like Americans. They are, in the main, very welcoming people. Warm, friendly and very hospitable and, contrary to the attitude of most other nationalities towards the British around the world, they actually LIKE us..!! I made a number of American friends and we are in regular touch. We've visited each other on both sides of the big pond over the years.

It doesn't really matter to me that they adjust the English language to their own usage, or that their humour is different to ours or that they don't seem to be able to get their heads around cricket. As Churchill once said "The Americans and the British are a united people separated by a common language". And as the man many regard as the greatest ever Briton was half American himself, I guess we should take note of what he said.

If there is one little thing that does sometimes irritate me though, it is their seeming belief that they are the only people on the Earth who have liberty. They talk of America as the "Land of the Free" as if nobody else anywhere in the world knows what freedom is. I would agree that it is a land of free people but they might do well to realise that we in the old world know a thing or two about liberty ourselves.

We British abolished slavery some 20+ years before America and we didn't need a civil war to do it...!! The case of Somersett vs Stewart in 1772 set the ball rolling and culminated in the Slavery Abolition Act of 1833. While Americans were slaughtering each other at Gettysburg we were inventing football. Puts things into a bit of perspective doesn't it..?

Magna Carta, which introduced the concept of Habeus Corpus was signed in the 13th century, hundreds of years before Columbus was born and Henry II introduced libertarian legal concepts which are still in effect to this day (trial by jury, the right to silence and the presumption of innocence amongst others).

So, my good American friends, please remember in future that although it is true that yours is a free country, we know a thing or two about freedom, liberty and justice too.

And we were doing them first.
  • muddipawsmuddipaws Posts: 3,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know an American and sometimes I'm in awe of how racist at times and religious at the same time a person can be. His American friends always mention god and I find it rather unusual. I also went to Americana few times once to Houston inTexas and boy was I surprised what I saw and heard. All I can say is I would never go back again
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    UKMikey wrote: »
    In fact I like too many American comedians, musicians, TV program(me)s and comics to hate on the USA.
    Well, you've clearly gone native, what with your superfluous prepositions an' all.
    I can't work out whether it's a superfluous preposition or if he's caught the American affliction of turning nouns into non-existent verbs. :D

American comedy's a strange subject. I think the programme somebody was referring to earlier was Cheers. I think that to find shows like that funny you have to be the type of person who is probably easy to hypnotise – i.e. displays a Pavlov's dog response, only by laughing to cue (literally).

As far as I know, I don't think any American network has ever dared to broadcast a comedy without the canned laughter (or canned laughter recorded in front of a live audience). It ruins comedies in this country as well. I remember The Thin Blue Line being made completely unwatchable because of it, although it might also have been crap as well for all I know – I never tolerated more than a minute or two to find out.

There are a few American comedies I like: Family Guy is in a class of its own and Third Rock From The Sun was thoughtful as well as funny. Then there's Batman and similarly, Buck Rogers in the 21st Century; both heavily laden with the irony that Americans supposedly don't get – unless they didn't realise and laughed without recognising the irony :D

I think many of the older generations of English people are still shocked by the institutionalised racism that shamed America until quite recent times, with segregation still enforced in some states into the 1970s – I remember Chas Chandler recounting some truly shocking tales of when he was in America with Jimi Hendrix. It must have been very strange indeed for black Americans coming over here during the Second World War.

I don't think many people really dislike Americans, but they seem to have no appreciation of the wide dislike of many aspects of their culture.
  • jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,566
    Forum Member
    Americans seem to have an odd sense of humour...eg, i just cannot see whats remotely funny about any of their 'comedy' shows (so called) with the dubbed in laughter. It all seems very lame and tame and they don't 'do' self deprecating humour.
    You've never seen "Frasier" then? One of the best ever sitcoms.
  • UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    barbeler wrote: »
    I can't work out whether it's a superfluous preposition or if he's caught the American affliction of turning nouns into non-existent verbs. :D
    I can buy the superfluous prepositions gripe (despite only spotting one in my sentence) but where is the non-existent verb?
  • Paradise_LostParadise_Lost Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member
    Corkhead. wrote: »

If there is one little thing that does sometimes irritate me though, it is their seeming belief that they are the only people on the Earth who have liberty. They talk of America as the "Land of the Free" as if nobody else anywhere in the world knows what freedom is. I would agree that it is a land of free people but they might do well to realise that we in the old world know a thing or two about liberty ourselves.

Do they really believe this? Have you conducted a survey? Seeming belief is it? On the whole I doubt it really, though for some odd reason some of us like to indulge this image of Americans. It's a peculiar claim given we're more likely to hear a fringe right wing person in America whinge about their country becoming more communist. I suppose it might originate from some of the obligatory platitudes from their politicians but we do have the patronising prattle from MPs here as well. I've heard people complain about "the home of the brave" in the Star Spangled Banner when that very verse is in the extended version of God Save the Queen.
    We British abolished slavery some 20+ years before America and we didn't need a civil war to do it...!! The case of Somersett vs Stewart in 1772 set the ball rolling and culminated in the Slavery Abolition Act of 1833. While Americans were slaughtering each other at Gettysburg we were inventing football. Puts things into a bit of perspective doesn't it..?

Not really. What did we do? What contribution did you make?

Which of these scenarios sounds more plausible to you?:

A. The British people at the time were just a more liberal minded, progressive, and humanitarian people than our morally corrupt and primitive cousins across the sea. Or...

B. Britain outlawed slavery at that time because the economic dependency of the Empire on slavery had waned (unlike the plantation economy of the Southern US). This in turn gave abolitionists an opportunity to seize the initiative to end it.
    Magna Carta, which introduced the concept of Habeus Corpus was signed in the 13th century, hundreds of years before Columbus was born and Henry II introduced libertarian legal concepts which are still in effect to this day (trial by jury, the right to silence and the presumption of innocence amongst others).

So, my good American friends, please remember in future that although it is true that yours is a free country, we know a thing or two about freedom, liberty and justice too.

And we were doing them first.

Nice exercise in vanity. You chastise the yanks for being a bit puffed up on certain matters...so you felt it was appropriate to imperiously post a litany of historical boasts and achievements? Yes, I'm sure that will help sort them out.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    UKMikey wrote: »
    I can buy the superfluous prepositions gripe (despite only spotting one in my sentence) but where is the non-existent verb?
    By using the phrase, "to hate on", if "on" wasn't a superfluous preposition, then strictly within this context, you were guilty of inappropriate nominalisation; using the word "hate" in its noun form as a corrupted verb.

It would be as bad as saying "we are going to car the family over to Wales, where we are holidaying for a week".
  • UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    By using the phrase, "to hate on", if "on" wasn't a superfluous preposition, then strictly within this context, you were guilty of inappropriate nominalisation; using the word "hate" in its noun form as a corrupted verb.

It would be as bad as saying "we are going to car the family over to Wales, where we are holidaying for a week".
    Oh, well, thanks for that. I hope someone else understood as it totally went over my head.
  • technopawtechnopaw Posts: 61
    Forum Member
    Mark1974 wrote: »
    I know everyone's different and I don't want to bring up stereotypes, but what's your view on our friends from across the pond?

The ones I've met seem OK, although I'm no big fan of any of their accents. I do find them quite quick-witted.
    hmmmm.... I find them interfering they desperately want to be part of the EU CLUB and poke their nose where it isn't wanted to manipulate markets and governments to their advantage.

They believe they police the world, rather annoying.

They spend billions on defence and oil grabbing while millions of their citizens are poor and below the poverty line.

They say the USA is the land of the free, it might be, but so long as you're not gay or black!

Religious nut jobs, creators of some of the worst sects in history. The mormons, jehovah's witness's, scientology and christian science.

thankfully, the world no longer relies on their voice anymore, with china set to take over anytime, will be flying our red flags any day now :)
  • epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    technopaw wrote: »
    hmmmm.... I find them interfering they desperately want to be part of the EU CLUB and poke their nose where it isn't wanted to manipulate markets and governments to their advantage.

They believe they police the world, rather annoying.

They spend billions on defence and oil grabbing while millions of their citizens are poor and below the poverty line.

They say the USA is the land of the free, it might be, but so long as you're not gay or black!

Religious nut jobs,
    creators of some of the worst sects in history. The mormons, jehovah's witness's, scientology and christian science.

thankfully, the world no longer relies on their voice anymore, with china set to take over anytime, will be flying our red flags any day now :)

You're from Belfast are you?
  • BrooklynBoyBrooklynBoy Posts: 10,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    epicurian wrote: »
    You're from Belfast are you?

Would you say any of this rings true Epi? http://www.vice.com/en_uk/read/a-rough-guide-to-britain-gavin-haynes It could be said that much of it has been displayed in this thread.
  • epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Would you say any of this rings true Epi? http://www.vice.com/en_uk/read/a-rough-guide-to-britain-gavin-haynes It could be said that much of it has been displayed in this thread.

Ha! Gavin Haynes must read DS.
  • bollywoodbollywood Posts: 67,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some rednecks in the Southern states have never read anything but the bloody Bible.

They are an incredible diverse nation but I would hate to live in certain areas of the Bible Belt where some republican, creationist, gun-toting, Jesus freaks regard anyone who does not believe in their God as the scum of the earth.

In a small town I would not go to worship at the local church and I think that would not make me very popular at all. :(

I don't really think they would notice if you went to church or not.

That is a stereotype you have.

I spent time in Oxford Mississippi and it wasn't like that at all.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bollywood wrote: »
    I spent time in Oxford Mississippi and it wasn't like that at all.
    Is there still de facto segregation there, even if it can no longer be officially enforced?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jjwales wrote: »
    You've never seen "Frasier" then? One of the best ever sitcoms.
    Err..........i've just had a look at it on YouTube.

Are the funny bits where i hear the 'canned' laughter? :confused:
  • bollywoodbollywood Posts: 67,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is there still de facto segregation there, even if it can no longer be officially enforced?

Where is that?
  • EbonyHamsterEbonyHamster Posts: 8,175
    Forum Member
    The majority I've spoken to or seen on forums are prats

I'm sure others aren't like them
  • anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bollywood wrote: »
    Where is that?

Hi Bolly, I love Americans and I know a great one on DS! ;-) :D