Options

Germany win the world cup... will this change country dynamics?

BrooksideBrookside Posts: 1,381
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hitler jokes are being made already...

Comments

• Options
    Jim_McIntoshJim_McIntosh Posts: 5,866
    Forum Member
    Country dynamics between which countries?
  • Options
    brbbrb Posts: 27,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think Germans care too much about Hitler jokes. Whenever I've visited Germany, it isn't unusual to see posters up calling all Germans Nazi's etc. One time I went with a friend to the train station, and where you collect your tickets was covered up with a big sign that said "NO NAZIS!". So I think they're immune to it now ;) It's pretty petty either way.
  • Options
    BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    It'll change the world dynamics. We'll all be speaking German. ;)
  • Options
    JamieHTJamieHT Posts: 12,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Brookside wrote: »

By who? Idiots, obviously.

I have German friends of various ages who are STILL apologetic about WW2 (none of them were born during it) and I have to reassure them that they've done nothing wrong and them stupid people make jokes. Jokes never hurt the person making the joke do they unless they want attention.
  • Options
    housegirlhousegirl Posts: 6,017
    Forum Member
    Don't see why it should never change anything the 3 times they won it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    JamieHT wrote: »
    By who? Idiots, obviously

That's what the NSA are saying, so I wouldn't take it as gospel.
  • Options
    pianofortepianoforte Posts: 630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fair play to them. the only joke is the team England send to each World cup. We are the laughing stock of the world
  • Options
    Paradise_LostParadise_Lost Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member
    Cameron has to give Merkel a pedicure now?
  • Options
    The WizardThe Wizard Posts: 11,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm just glad it's all over.

TV has been absolute crap for the last few weeks what with athletics and Wimbledonk. Maybe they'll get back to putting on some decent programmes for us non sport fans.
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Wizard wrote: »

TV has been absolute crap for the last few weeks what with athletics and Wimbledonk. Maybe they'll get back to putting on some decent programmes for us non sport fans.

Yes. Theres only the open golf, the last week or so of the tour de france, and the commonwealth games before the football starts again.
  • Options
    Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well it's the first time they've won it as the reunified Germany but think they're used to being one country again now.

I'm not a big football fan but, from what I've seen, the right team won.
  • Options
    shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Seriously :o. There are hundreds of channels now and football has been mainly on the BBC and ITV. Neither of which has many quality programmes any more.
  • Options
    gasheadgashead Posts: 13,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Brookside wrote: »
    So were people not making Hitler jokes prior to last night's game? Then who the Hell is the little shouty man with the funny 'tache in the YouTube vids? :confused:
  • Options
    CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blondie X wrote: »
    Well it's the first time they've won it as the reunified Germany but think they're used to being one country again now.

I'm not a big football fan but, from what I've seen, the right team won.

Agreed better Germany won than Argentina.
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    brb wrote: »
    I don't think Germans care too much about Hitler jokes. Whenever I've visited Germany, it isn't unusual to see posters up calling all Germans Nazi's etc. One time I went with a friend to the train station, and where you collect your tickets was covered up with a big sign that said "NO NAZIS!". So I think they're immune to it now ;) It's pretty petty either way.

I don't think they're calling all Germans Nazis, there's just a long history between neo-Nazis and anti-Fascists there, so it probably has more to do with that.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Keep it in prospective, after all was just a game of football. the win pleased the fanatics of course, just like it did here when we surprisingly beat them 5-1 in 2001
  • Options
    trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A wealthy European country known for it's efficiency, educated peoples, economic success, modern democratic credentials and passive foreign policy beats Argentina at footie.

All good, I'd say. No dynamics to change whatsoever, other than Hening Wehn will become even more boastful.

Now had it have gone the other way, there may have been more of an issue.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes. Theres only the open golf, the last week or so of the tour de france, and the commonwealth games before the football starts again.

Which is precisely why terrestrial tv needs a dedicated sports channel so people who like sport can watch it on that. I'm sick of the main terrestrial channels being dominated by this crap and schedules being messed about to make way for sport which only a minority of people are interested in.

People say, but it's only for 2 weeks but it isn't though is it? When one event finishes another one starts or like in the case of the last few weeks we've had to put up with several events all at once. Can't seem to turn the tv on just lately without every mainstream entertainment channel being dominated by sport. One night last week there was a football match on BBC1 and another on iTV and athletics on BBC2, BIG Brother on Five and the usually repeated rubbish on everything else.
  • Options
    FrankieFixerFrankieFixer Posts: 11,530
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Which is precisely why terrestrial tv needs a dedicated sports channel so people who like sport can watch it on that. I'm sick of the main terrestrial channels being dominated by this crap and schedules being messed about to make way for sport which only a minority of people are interested in.

More people are interested in sport than crap like Eastenders or Cash in the Attic.
  • Options
    rupert_pupkinrupert_pupkin Posts: 3,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What TV needs is a 'crap' channel dedicated to soaps, talent shows, reality tv etc I'm sick of the main channels being dominated by this rubbish which only 12 year old girls, old housewives and gay men are interested in
  • Options
    Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shackfan wrote: »
    Seriously :o. There are hundreds of channels now and football has been mainly on the BBC and ITV. Neither of which has many quality programmes any more.

Tbf, the programmes haven't been fantastic over the last months but then the summer is very rarely the best time to watch tv.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    More people are interested in sport than crap like Eastenders or Cash in the Attic.

Really? Out of the 64 million people who live in the UK only 20 million people watched the world cup final. That means there was over 40 million people in Britain that didn't. I'd say that was a substantial minority. The average match drew in about 10 million viewers. Same as your average Christmas episode of Eastenders or Dr Who. Some games like France v Honduras or Iran v Nigeria only got 5 million viewers which is far less viewers than an average episode of Corrie. Also, some people who like football also like Soaps or Cash in The Attic. It's not exclusive that in order to like sport you automatically can't like X Factor ya know?

Plus why the hell do we need to have two main tv channels showing exactly the same match at the same time? Like anyone is actually able to watch two channels at the same time. You can't even go shopping for weeks before, during and after without having a trolley full of football endorsed drinks and snacks plastered all over the place. Talk about having it rammed in your face.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What TV needs is a 'crap' channel dedicated to soaps, talent shows, reality tv etc I'm sick of the main channels being dominated by this rubbish which only 12 year old girls, old housewives and gay men are interested in

Do Soaps and shows like BGT dominate the tv every night for a full evening for weeks on end? Hardly the same comparing it to a programme that's only on for an hour or so a couple of times a week.

Football didn't just dominate 1 channel but both main entertainment channels EVERY night of the week from 7pm until bedtime plus all the other sport they throw in between like golf, tennis, athletics. The minority of tv viewers like watching this stuff yet the majority of viewers have to have it rammed down their throat or be forced to watch crap on some other less important channel until it's all over.

And it's not even like you can go out for the evening to get away from it because of the lack of stuff on tv. You go to the pub and it's on everywhere you look. I went out for a curry last week and even they had it on in there.
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do Soaps and shows like BGT dominate the tv every night for a full evening for weeks on end? Hardly the same comparing it to a programme that's only on for an hour or so a couple of times a week.

Football didn't just dominate 1 channel but both main entertainment channels EVERY night of the week from 7pm until bedtime plus all the other sport they throw in between like golf, tennis, athletics. The minority of tv viewers like watching this stuff yet the majority of viewers have to have it rammed down their throat or be forced to watch crap on some other less important channel.

Who was forcing you to do that?
  • Options
    TrollHunterTrollHunter Posts: 12,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

People say, but it's only for 2 weeks but it isn't though is it? When one event finishes another one starts or like in the case of the last few weeks we've had to put up with several events all at once. Can't seem to turn the tv on just lately without every mainstream entertainment channel being dominated by sport. One night last week there was a football match on BBC1 and another on iTV and athletics on BBC2, BIG Brother on Five and the usually repeated rubbish on everything else.

Slight exaggeration there methinks.
    Your example of two games being shown at the same time is wrong. Only the Final is shown on both ITV and BBC - all other matches are shown by EITHER BBC or ITV - not both. Last week, there were two semi-finals. On Tuesday, BBC1 broadcast Brazil vs Germany, on Wednesday ITV broadcast Netherlands vs Argentina. There was athletics on Friday but no football.

Perhaps you're getting a little confused :confused: