Options

Kelly Performing This Year?

rivercity_rulesrivercity_rules Posts: 24,270
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I'm assuming she will perform, and I'd love her too, but reminiscing about the greatest girl group of all time, and wondered if Cowell might try to persuade a reunion performance on X Factor?

Perhaps if a Group make the finale, we'll get that, or will Kelly end up performing a DC song with a finalist?

Totally Random thread I know, just wondered if people would welcome it.

I know I would.

Comments

• Options
    Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She's releasing a European version of Here I Am later this year, so a performance on The X Factor is highly likely...

Tulisa may also go solo as well and Gary could perform with Take That, so they'll be plenty of opportunities for the judges to show the contestants how its done...:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After enduring Tulisa at T In The Park on Saturday, the producers would be wise to stop her getting up from behind the desk.

At least Cheryl had a bit of performance to her, despite vocals lacking, Tulisa was a lot worse than I expected her to be.
  • Options
    Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After enduring Tulisa at T In The Park on Saturday, the producers would be wise to stop her getting up from behind the desk.

At least Cheryl had a bit of performance to her, despite vocals lacking, Tulisa was a lot worse than I expected her to be.

Hmmm, she's a better singer than Cheryl, and with the right styling and material, she could do pretty well...she might have to mime though...:p

I have to say, I really want to see Kelly get up there and smash a track like Motivation or What a Feeling...her vocals and the dancing could be a performance worth watching..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep, Kelly is not far behind Beyonce, people often forget that.

She performed at T4 on The Beach a couple of years back and had the crowd eating out of the palm of her hand, she wasn't just Beyoncé's backing singer.

I don't think Tulisa has it in her to be honest. Cheryl struck gold with Fight For This Love, she was so known for her love life, there was no better way to cash in on it, unless Tulisa brings out Fight Like a Chav, there's not really going to be enough to hook the wider publics interest into her I don't think. She's got a better voice than Cheryl, no doubt, but it's not amazing, and she is severely lacking in performance skills, dancing and presence need a LOT of work. She'd have done better auditioning I think.
  • Options
    gpkgpk Posts: 10,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yep, Kelly is not far behind Beyonce, people often forget that.

She performed at T4 on The Beach a couple of years back and had the crowd eating out of the palm of her hand, she wasn't just Beyoncé's backing singer.

I don't think Tulisa has it in her to be honest. Cheryl struck gold with Fight For This Love, she was so known for her love life, there was no better way to cash in on it, unless Tulisa brings out Fight Like a Chav, there's not really going to be enough to hook the wider publics interest into her I don't think. She's got a better voice than Cheryl, no doubt, but it's not amazing, and she is severely lacking in performance skills, dancing and presence need a LOT of work. She'd have done better auditioning I think.

absolutely right! she is mega talented. she just hasn't had the breaks beyonce had. her music career needs more direction though i feel. is she rnb or a dance diva? it isn't very clear.

i loved `stole` that was a solid song. `daylight` should have done so much better. a perfect summer song. the x factor will being her a big audience. i just hope the material is up to scratch!
  • Options
    BoxfreshBoxfresh Posts: 2,764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gpk wrote: »
    absolutely right! she is mega talented. she just hasn't had the breaks beyonce had. her music career needs more direction though i feel. is she rnb or a dance diva? it isn't very clear.

i loved `stole` that was a solid song. `daylight` should have done so much better. a perfect summer song. the x factor will being her a big audience. i just hope the material is up to scratch!

A lot of people feel Kelly's solo career got deliberately mismanaged by Beyonce's father (Matthew Knowles) because Kelly represented a real threat to Beyonce's own solo career. Kelly came out the gate first with Dilemma (with Nelly) which was a huge worldwide hit. Meanwhile, Beyonce stumbled with her first solo effort (Work it Out from the Austin Powers film she was in), which underperformed.

Supposedly, Matthew did things to sabotage Kelly's promo, made her stay away from the type of music Beyonce did (he also likely told Michelle to do Gospel music:yawn:), and told her to concentrate on markets like Europe (leaving Beyonce without a serious rival in from her own group in America).

Kelly only sacked Matthew as her manager about three years ago, but the damage was already done.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Boxfresh wrote: »
    A lot of people feel Kelly's solo career got deliberately mismanaged by Beyonce's father (Matthew Knowles) because Kelly represented a real threat to Beyonce's own solo career. Kelly came out the gate first with Dilemma (with Nelly) which was a huge worldwide hit. Meanwhile, Beyonce stumbled with her first solo effort (Work it Out from the Austin Powers film she was in), which underperformed.

Supposedly, Matthew did things to sabotage Kelly's promo, made her stay away from the type of music Beyonce did (he also likely told Michelle to do Gospel music:yawn:), and told her to concentrate on markets like Europe (leaving Beyonce without a serious rival in from her own group in America).

Kelly only sacked Matthew as her manager about three years ago, but the damage was already done.

yes, i agree with all of that. being a huge fan of dc i know the back story.

however, it is now that i find she is lacking a clear direction. don't get me wrong i love the dance stuff she has done. however, the new album seems like it is a mash of two genres. apparently the album is out in the us in 2 weeks?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

She was the headliner!

No doubt she will perform. I hope the judges will duet with their acts in the final this year aswell as the star duets. Louis could just get Westlife or Jedward in.:p
  • Options
    BoxfreshBoxfresh Posts: 2,764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yes, i agree with all of that. being a huge fan of dc i know the back story.

however, it is now that i find she is lacking a clear direction. don't get me wrong i love the dance stuff she has done. however, the new album seems like it is a mash of two genres. apparently the album is out in the us in 2 weeks?

Kelly is worried that her "dancy" stuff, which has given her international success, but has never given her any US success. For whatever reason, the US never "got" dance tracks like When Love Takes Over and Commander.

She's currently getting her first big US hit in years with "Motivation" which is more rnb/hip-hop in style. So I'd say that maybe the only way she can have both US and international success is to do both.

So far, it appears to be working for her, so it may not be a bad thing. She broadned her appeal, and can now appeal to Americans as well as internationally.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kelly is worried that her "dancy" stuff, which has given her international success, but has never given her any US success. For whatever reason, the US never "got" dance tracks like When Love Takes Over and Commander.

She's currently getting her first big US hit in years with "Motivation" which is more rnb/hip-hop in style. So I'd say that maybe the only way she can have both US and international success is to do both.

So far, it appears to be working for her, so it may not be a bad thing. She broadned her appeal, and can now appeal to Americans as well as internationally.

yes, she is up two places this week to #19! definitely a step in the right direction. not one of my favourites of hers though.
  • Options
    InMyArmsInMyArms Posts: 50,792
    Forum Member
    She's definitely confident when it comes to her voice, she was using it to demonstrate to a couple of the auditionees where they had gone wrong and showed them how it should be done at the Manchester auditions I went to.. so it seems she would fear it less than Cheryl/Dannii.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think it's a bit unfair to say Matthew mismanaged her, if anything Simply Deep was a stronger first album than Dangerously in Love. She had her movie role in Freddy V Jason, her second album was also not bad.

I think blaming Matthew Knowles is a good excuse for her limited success, I think bad timing, and just not releasing the right singles is more the issue than badly managed.

I agree with what's been said re: issues with releasing songs which are popular here, but needing extra material for the states is an issue. It's been 2 years since When Love Takes Over and we're still awaiting the album, a year since Commander as well. I always get the impression she loves it over here, but she loves being home too, so it's obviously been difficult for her to decide on her album.

She knows she needs one to cash in on X Factor, she'd be a fool not to, I just hope it works.

She does deserve the success, she's not as good as Beyoncé, but she is damned close and is one person in the music industry I'd just love to see do well.

I'd love to see a Beyoncé Duet with a Kelly finalist, but I'd love a DC reunion first and foremost. I reckon the staging of the final would be the perfect time for it as well, and a good 7 minute medley would certainly fill in time better than Dermot showing "The performances" for the umpteenth time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i don't think destinys child will reform for x factor! beyonce will still be promoting 4. beyonce will also have a show on itv after one of the live finals.

i hope they do reform one day. it would be lovely if they toured again. i went to their last tour, they were great!
  • Options
    KieranDSKieranDS Posts: 16,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hope so! I like Kelly :D
    I wonder if she will get the whole 'using X Factor to sell her records' comments like Cheryl does.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    KieranDS wrote: »
    I hope so! I like Kelly :D
    I wonder if she will get the whole 'using X Factor to sell her records' comments like Cheryl does.

i hope not. although it is inevitable i guess.
  • Options
    KieranDSKieranDS Posts: 16,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i hope not. although it is inevitable i guess.

Same here. I really like Kelly. I do wonder who will be the next Digital Spy hate figure out of the new panel.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    KieranDS wrote: »
    Same here. I really like Kelly. I do wonder who will be the next Digital Spy hate figure out of the new panel.

i really like kelly. i`m a big fan of dc and their solo stuff. i have a lot of respect for gary. i was also charmed by the documentary that tulisa did for bbc3. it is anyone's guess!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was thinking Kelly Clarkson. :)