Abuse when going out?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,742
Forum Member
I wasn't sure whether to post this in advice or in general discussion. Do you get abuse when you go out? I seem to get it every time I go out? :confused: which is the reason why I am asking. If you were going to abuse someone why would you do it? What makes someone look like an easy target??

Comments

• RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What do you mean?

Are you saying various (different) people hurl abuse at you or that the same person / people keep abusing you?

Is this abuse physical?
  • Melp26Melp26 Posts: 1,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What sort of abuse? In what situations? From who? I don't understand at all why you would be abused EVERY time you go out, once every so often would be odd but every time?!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 358
    Forum Member
    Same questions those above asked from me too.

Also it could be the venues, avoid the clubs that chavs go to that play Dubstep, DnB, UK Garage, Bassline and crap like that and choose a classier standard of bar :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,742
    Forum Member
    Verbal abuse mostly. Every single time I go out I either get someone from their cars shouting abuse (which also happens mostly) or it's someone walking past who makes a horrible comment. It happens every single time and it always happens in public, on the street etc not indoors, anyone know why??
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's kind of hard to say without knowing what they are shouting really.
  • Mrs MackintoshMrs Mackintosh Posts: 1,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are they all saying the same things? Is it targetted on your appearance? You'd really have to elaborate a bit more before anyone could say why this is happening.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 358
    Forum Member
    How old are you? What are they abusing you about? Do you have a disability and they are shouting something about that? Over/under weight and they are shouting about that? Racial abuse? Give us a clue :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,734
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bezmina wrote: »
    It's kind of hard to say without knowing what they are shouting really.

Agree. Knowing exactly what these people are saying about you would help a lot.
  • Tom_TitTom_Tit Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    I can only think of overweight people who would get abused in the street. Mainly by kids i'd imagine.
    Forum Member
    Are they all saying the same things? Is it targetted on your appearance? You'd really have to elaborate a bit more before anyone could say why this is happening.

yep definitely. I'm not overweight cos i went to my doctor about it but i know I've gained at least a stone in the past year, so I know I'm not slim. But I didn't think I was so big that at least one person would always make a comment and notice me in the street. Like when I walked home from the hospital the other day which takes about 45 mins, someone shouted something out their car at me but I didn't hear what it was about but it always happens when I walk. And the other day in manchester 2 guys in their car slowed down and said heyy is that you doing exercise. It made me want to punch them, and there were women across the road who were about 45, slightly overweight wearing dresses showing all their cellulite and I was there really dressed down with no flesh showing yet I was the 1 who got the abuse. I must look like an alien or something. Just ranting :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,734
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Meh ignore em. It your doctor doesn’t think you're overweight and you are walking long distances then you can't be that 'large' :confused:

Perhaps on that particular day the amount of idiots around was slightly more than usual.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ': wrote:
    Hannah;51567365']yep definitely. I'm not overweight cos i went to my doctor about it but i know I've gained at least a stone in the past year, so I know I'm not slim. But I didn't think I was so big that at least one person would always make a comment and notice me in the street. Like when I walked home from the hospital the other day which takes about 45 mins, someone shouted something out their car at me but I didn't hear what it was about but it always happens when I walk. And the other day in manchester 2 guys in their car slowed down and said heyy is that you doing exercise. It made me want to punch them, and there were women across the road who were about 45, slightly overweight wearing dresses showing all their cellulite and I was there really dressed down with no flesh showing yet I was the 1 who got the abuse. I must look like an alien or something. Just ranting :(

That's really unpleasant for you.

Some things to consider though:

1. You may have some heightened awareness bordering on paranoia that every comment is directed at you personally. It could be they're shouting at somebody else (just a thought!) This isn't meant to be getting at YOU by the way, I reckon most people have felt like this at some stage in their lives.

2. If guys are slowing down to shout at you maybe they actually fancy you and this is there perverse way of showing it.
    Forum Member
    That's really unpleasant for you.

Some things to consider though:

1. You may have some heightened awareness bordering on paranoia that every comment is directed at you personally. It could be they're shouting at somebody else (just a thought!) This isn't meant to be getting at YOU by the way, I reckon most people have felt like this at some stage in their lives.

2. If guys are slowing down to shout at you maybe they actually fancy you and this is there perverse way of showing it.

I have really low self confidence which is why I asked this question really because I feel that other people get the vibe that I am insecure and perhaps that is why they aim the insults at me. But I would feel so embarassed if I "walked tall" and pretended to be confident and then I still got insulted. When I was at the hospital a group of guys wolf whistled at me but it was quite obvious they were taking the piss. It's stuff like that that makes me feel like absolute crap. When the people shout the insults it's like yeah would you rather I sit on the sofa watching tv doing no exercise at all. I'm trying to make a difference to my body and they're stopping me. Sorry ranting again. It's alright I'll get over it i think.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,664
    Forum Member
    yes i get it, im short and fat so people think its perfectly reasonable to shout shit at me, i get it a few times a week and mostly its not kids, its adults.
    i cant tell you hope to cope, me i grew a thick skin and chinned a few of them, though nowadays i either walk on by and stare them down depending on my mood.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hannah;51567501']I have really low self confidence which is why I asked this question really because I feel that other people get the vibe that I am insecure and perhaps that is why they aim the insults at me. But I would feel so embarassed if I "walked tall" and pretended to be confident and then I still got insulted. When I was at the hospital a group of guys wolf whistled at me but it was quite obvious they were taking the piss. It's stuff like that that makes me feel like absolute crap. When the people shout the insults it's like yeah would you rather I sit on the sofa watching tv doing no exercise at all. I'm trying to make a difference to my body and they're stopping me. Sorry ranting again. It's alright I'll get over it i think.

You're probably letting your poor self image tell you this rather than the facts. Trust me, guys don't wolf whistle sarcastically. You're clearly a lot more attractive than you're giving yourself credit for.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi OP. I see from your profile you're 18 years old. That'll be the reason. Don't ask me why but it's as simple as that. There's certain individuals who get a kick out of insulting and trying to humiliate young women by either shouting some insult or making a crude remark. You saw yourself how they didn't remark on the women who were in their forties.

I know it's horrible but just try your best to ignore the idiots and maybe even wear some earphones and listen to music so you won't even hear what they say.
  • MintMint Posts: 2,192
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi OP. I see from your profile you're 18 years old. That'll be the reason. Don't ask me why but it's as simple as that. There's certain individuals who get a kick out of insulting and trying to humiliate young women by either shouting some insult or making a crude remark. You saw yourself how they didn't remark on the women who were in their forties.I know it's horrible but just try your best to ignore the idiots and maybe even wear some earphones and listen to music so you won't even hear what they say.

Agree. Appearance is more important to younger people. Many people as they get older stop caring about their appearance so abusing them isn't going to have any effect. Also, younger women are seen as more vulnerable than older women.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not so much in the street but people who I just meet out and about like friends of friends seem to like making 'witty' remarks about my height (I'm only just over 5ft) thinking they're being clever and the first person to think of it. You just have to grow a thicker skin and not let it get you down, not everyone is naturally tall and slim and other shapes are perfectly healthy for other peoples body type.
  • ClunkClunk Posts: 3,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A few weeks ago I was waiting to get a bus into the city centre on a Saturday night, a young (20 something) and very pretty girl walked up to the bus stop. She was nicely dressed for an evening out in the sunshine (showing a little, very tanned, toned flesh). To me, she looked the very epitome of the type of girl that would get positive comment if anything, not negative (that came across horribly sexist, and wasn't meant to).

Anyway, as she got to the bus stop some lads (very young - 14 - 16 I would say) started shouting horrible things at her (to be honest, I only caught the tail end of some of the remarks).

She held her own. Gave back as good as she got, but won because she did it in a dignified way - not bad language, but quick, clever put downs, and retained a nonchalant air about her as if to suggest 'play along little boys'.

It struck me that this had clearly happened to her before.

The point to this story, is that it doesn't make it right, but it seems it happens to all sorts of people. She was clearly confident and strong (or at least appeared that way) and so dealt with it well (in fact dealt with it so well, that I joked to her 'I think you won that round !!' - to which she smiled).

I remember being so jealous of her calm self confident demeanour, and the fact that she seemed unphased and was not going to allow her night to be spoilt.

I guess, what I am trying to say, is try not to take it to heart. I have had horrible things shouted at me in the past and it does hurt, and knocks you for six as it destroys what little self confidence you have.

Some people are just a*seholes and make themselves feel better in their pathetic little lives by trying to make other people feel bad. You will always be 100 times better than people like that.

Do bear in mind though, that a lack of self confidence can make you feel that people are aiming things at you, even when they are not.
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I got called 'baldy' by a group of kids down the road. It wasn't the name that upset me (I don't mind being bald, it means not having to pay for hair cuts), it was the fact that they felt they could intrude into my life like that for no reason.

So I kept calling the police on them for the slightest thing.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,234
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hannah;51566979']I wasn't sure whether to post this in advice or in general discussion. Do you get abuse when you go out? I seem to get it every time I go out? :confused: which is the reason why I am asking. If you were going to abuse someone why would you do it? What makes someone look like an easy target??

yes I do. I think it's just life - very sadly - just lots of cruel people being about.
  • 1fab1fab Posts: 20,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know it's not easy, but try to remember that people who make rude comments are totally ignorant and not worth worrying about. No intelligent person would behave like that.
  • TequilaTequila Posts: 5,111
    Forum Member
    1fab wrote: »
    No intelligent person would behave like that.

No - their attacks would be much more subtle and personal - i.e. they'd wait until they got to know the person first.
  • curlywurlycurlywurly Posts: 950
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    people with low self esteem tend to round their shoulders head down, probably trying to pass unnoticed, people with low self esteem are usually on high alert and tend to think that others are staring/pointing at/and talking about you.
    instead walk tall, no rounded shoulder or head down, head up and be proud of who you are, if people dont like who or what you look like then its their stupidity, its not all about the wrappings its the content inside thats beautiful. try to learn to love yourself then others will see you for what your really like.
  • The WizardThe Wizard Posts: 11,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Try and change your route and stop walking through rough areas full of chavs or pubs with piddled up idiots outside. Saying that I have a wife who's disabled and she's only ever had this happen once in about every 12 months which makes me wonder if the area your talking about is riddled with knobheads.