Options

Nick Clegg and his arson conviction...

Reiver97Reiver97 Posts: 2,491
Forum Member
✭✭✭
As a 16 year old Deputy PM Nick Clegg was convicted of two acts of arson. He recieved a community order as punishment.

Today he wants kids banged up for lesser crimes.

Hear him squirm in a radio interview...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSY6QlNMf18 - 50secs

(He denies any similarity between his case and kids today. Apparantly it is different because he was only "arsoning around"... buddum tish! :D)

Comments

• Options
    CharlotteswebCharlottesweb Posts: 18,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    oops!

Thats the trouble with mounting very tall equines with very spindly legs.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Full 6 min interview here:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ueBCWaWNcY
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Clegg is a flaming idiot and should go to blazes......
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'We didn't know what we were doing. We were teenagers, we'd drunk too much - frankly, we did behave appallingly, irresponsibly, criminally."

Nick Clegg on his teenage arsonism.

Has he ever taken drugs? 'I have always cast a veil over this,' Clegg says quickly. 'If I was a drug-taker when I was in public offi ce, or seeking it, that's one thing, but how far am I supposed to go back to explain what I did or didn't do? Next you'll say to me, "Did you throw sand in the sandpit?"'

Nick Clegg on how we shouldn't necessarily judge people for their youthful criminality.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/moslive/article-1193693/Id-drunk-I-irresponsible-Criminal-Nick-Clegg-regrets.html
  • Options
    MajlisMajlis Posts: 31,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Reiver97 wrote: »
    Nick Clegg on his teenage arsonism.

Setting fire to a cactus is arson? - so pulling up daffodils in the park must be murder?

No wait........

daffodils
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member
    As a 16 year old Deputy PM Nick Clegg was convicted of two acts of arson. He recieved a community order as punishment.

(He denies any similarity between his case and kids today. Apparantly it is different because he was only "arsoning around"... buddum tish! :D)

Nick Clegg did have a bizarre anti-cactus thing :eek: as a teenager http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7003100.stm but it is clearly not on the same scale as the riots that we have just witnessed.
  • Options
    1TrueNorth1TrueNorth Posts: 4,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sick little fireraiser
  • Options
    Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love Alan Clifford - doesn't matter which party they're from, he always makes them squirm :)
  • Options
    You_moYou_mo Posts: 11,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oops! Did you see the youtube video of him speaking fluent Dutch? Apparently he's good at languages. It it was normal Dutch not double before anyone says it!
  • Options
    jzeejzee Posts: 25,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But he went to private school, is son of a banker & what he set fire to was much posher, so it's different.
  • Options
    ItsNickItsNick Posts: 3,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Here we go. I wondered how long it would be before someone started trying to dig up ancient dirt on some MP.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ItsNick wrote: »
    Here we go. I wondered how long it would be before someone started trying to dig up ancient dirt on some MP.

Yes, but didn't he squirm?:D
  • Options
    soulmate61soulmate61 Posts: 6,176
    Forum Member
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/politics/7003100.stm

Setting fire to cacti in Germany when an exchange student is better than setting fire to a Croydon warehouse. And he did pay for his japes with his own labour, not daddy's money. He says he was not convicted, so I would give him the benefit of a doubt.

Those who set fire in glasshouses should beware of throwing stones....... ;)
  • Options
    David TeeDavid Tee Posts: 22,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't be arsed to click on the link.

Did he hold up a lighter at a Take That concert?
  • Options
    ExistentialistExistentialist Posts: 1,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Clegg is an utter you know what. He is such a hypocrite.
  • Options
    alanr74alanr74 Posts: 4,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    David Tee wrote: »

yep, he was a very naughty boy. So much so that he's now to blame for rioting, looting, murder, muggings and vandalism in London.

Who would have thought a drunk 16 year old lad, on a foreign exchange jaunt, would cause so much violence 20 years on. All because he lit a cactus while drunk.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    alanr74 wrote: »
    yep, he was a very naughty boy. So much so that he's now to blame for rioting, looting, murder, muggings and vandalism in London.

Who would have thought a drunk 16 year old lad, on a foreign exchange jaunt, would cause so much violence 20 years on. All because he lit a cactus while drunk.

What gets me though is the hatred of cacti :eek:. Why them? Did they do something to him in his past and was this vengeance? Does he also have an irrational hatred of begonias and geraniums too? :eek:
  • Options
    Net NutNet Nut Posts: 10,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hypocrite :mad:

But what do you expect from the leader of the FibDems?
  • Options
    HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Isn't this like criticising someone for stealing sweets from a shop when they were a teenager, simply because they have condemned armed robbery?
  • Options
    soulmate61soulmate61 Posts: 6,176
    Forum Member
    alanr74 wrote: »

You have to remember when he was in Germany alone he had no father figure in his life.

Plus he was probably stung by the cactus and retaliated instinctively like Mr Duggan's trigger-happy copper. With no baseball bat to hand he resorted to fire, his last line of defence. Young Nick is commended for his resourcefulness. ;)
  • Options
    WhiteFangWhiteFang Posts: 3,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hypocrite.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    David Tee wrote: »

You should listen. I just wish I could have seen his face. I don't know why he wasn't prepared for that getting thrown his face, it seems obvious really.
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Obviously the scorched earth policy of the Bullingdon Club gang does not compare to one isolated incident.

:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    Obviously the scorched earth policy of the Bullingdon Club gang does not compare to one isolated incident.

:rolleyes:

Andrew Gimson, biographer of Boris Johnson, reported about the club in the 1980s: "I don't think an evening would have ended without a restaurant being trashed and being paid for in full, very often in cash. [...] A night in the cells would be regarded as being par for a Buller man and so would debagging anyone who really attracted the irritation of the Buller men." :eek:!:eek:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bullingdon_Club#Reputation

That poor conduct does put things into context, alanwarwic, but I still would not condone cruelty to innocent cacti.
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Obviously life's a riot if you have daddies money to pay for it.