Daily Politics - PMQs - 27/06/2012 the war of the Lords

Comments

• AnnsyreAnnsyre Posts: 109,500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Rafer wrote: »
    I'm not sure either. He seemed to shoot himself in the foot. He criticised Cameron for dropping a Labour tax rise. Then claimed that Labour wanted to put money into peoples pockets. If that was the Labour party's aim, why raise fuel tax in the first place?
    He seemed to be tieing himself up in contradictions. The only consistency to his questions was that everything the coalition was doing was wrong. Even when it was right it was wrong. Poor effort for Ed. No message and just made himself look foolish.

I agree. The scatter gun approach is not working for him and he is tripping himself up. But his performances have improved since the days when he stuck rigidly to his script.
  • sensoriasensoria Posts: 4,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jilly wrote: »
    Agreed, nothing new today.

I thought is was great.
  • JillyJilly Posts: 20,455
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sensoria wrote: »
    I thought is was great.

You seem to be the only one:rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 33,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    House is getting sensible now with sensible qs.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jilly wrote: »
    You seem to be the only one:rolleyes:

Of course I am. You know who won today and that must really hurt.
  • David TeeDavid Tee Posts: 22,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So good to se a thread where the Tory supporters have nothing positive to cling to!

Chuffing Nora - I can see you've been desperately painting this thread in a particular light since you first joined it but as usual you're hopelessly wrong.

The most positive thing for a Tory supporter to take away from today's thread is the continuing slide of Labour away from integrity and into blatant hypocrisy. It really does beggar belief to think that Ed feels he owns the moral high ground on the points he raised today - from Fuel and Borrowing to Lower Top Rate Tax Thresholds and Tax Evasion. In every single case he's arguing against the very thing his party put into practice. And btw - if that's not a u-turn, I don't know what is.

Why's it positive? Because come the election, if that's their approach, they'll be sitting ducks.
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Unbelievable that DC is trying to suggest policy in June 2012 is still Labour's policies and U-Turns in June 2012 are the Tories reversing them.

Sadly EM's delivery let him down again and I don't feel he hammered the points home. He had the potential to put DC on the ropes but as always, failed to land the blow for me.
  • RaferRafer Posts: 14,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Annsyre wrote: »
    I agree. The scatter gun approach is not working for him and he is tripping himself up. But his performances have improved since the days when he stuck rigidly to his script.

He is better now he's off script. But I get the impression he's trying to win a battle he's already lost. He's never going to win the economic argument. Even if he goes as far as to admit the Labour party screwed the economy when they were in office. It's not going to inspire confidence in Labour's economic program any more that the present policy of refusing to acknowledge they got anything wrong.
    They've lost the economic argument. It would make more sense for Ed to try to shift ground towards something they could win on and make that the main issue for the next election. As it stands. If Labour go into the next election on an economic platform, they will lose.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    RacerWelsh wrote: »
    House is getting sensible now with sensible qs.

I agree.:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unbelievable that DC is trying to suggest policy in June 2012 is still Labour's policies and U-Turns in June 2012 are the Tories reversing them.

Sadly EM's delivery let him down again and I don't feel he hammered the points home. He had the potential to put DC on the ropes but as always, failed to land the blow for me.

I dont agree with that today, I think Milliband landed more than enough solid hits. cameron had some scripted responses which just didnt work.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,900
    Forum Member
    Labour raising PFI is a bad move!! :eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "shouting from a sedintary postion"

Please stop using this phrase you boring man.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    He is better now he's off script. But I get the impression he's trying to win a battle he's already lost. He's never going to win the economic argument. Even if he goes as far as to admit the Labour party screwed the economy when they were in office. It's not going to inspire confidence in Labour's economic program any more that the present policy of refusing to acknowledge they got anything wrong.
    They've lost the economic argument. It would make more sense for Ed to try to shift ground towards something they could win on and make that the main issue for the next election. As it stands. If Labour go into the next election on an economic platform, they will lose.

But when their entire front bench comprises all the old familiar faces and, as long as Balls is responsible for making statements on the economy, nothing will change.

If he goes into the next election with them they wont gain much ground. imo.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The policies he is talking abotu lifitng people out of poverty are Lib - Dem ones he would never have introduced.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I dont agree with that today, I think Milliband landed more than enough solid hits. cameron had some scripted responses which just didnt work.

You do know that David Cameron is the one sitting on the left hand side of the chamber when facing the speaker?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You do know that David Cameron is the one sitting on the left hand side of the chamber when facing the speaker?

wow did he write that line for you?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Annsyre wrote: »
    But when their entire front bench comprises all the old familiar faces and, as long as Balls is responsible for making statements on the economy, nothing will change.

If he goes into the next election with them they wont gain much ground. imo.

I agree. There's a lot of damaged good on the Labour benches. There was a statement released recently from the nao the other week warning of the deal done between windfarm manufactures and the labour government. Operating costs would not be subject to inflation. The nao warned that the shortfall would have to be picked up by the taxpayer or more accurately the bill payer via increased energy costs. Who was the climate change minister who signed the deal? Ed Miliband. That act alone torpedoes any economic credibility he had.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wow did he write that line for you?

that's Ed Miliband your thinking of. He's the one with the script.
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I think he scored.. but I think there is still room for improvement with his delivery that's all. May seem like nit picking but I do think it's important, especially come the election debates.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    that's Ed Miliband your thinking of. He's the one with the script.

is this like a playground thing?

If so do I respond with "no you are"?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    is this like a playground thing?

If so do I respond with "no you are"?

That would be Ed Balls. He's the mumbling idiot who sits to the right of Ed milliband and acts like a petulant five year old.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That would be Ed Balls. He's the mumbling idiot who sits to the right of Ed milliband and acts like a petulant five year old.

wow you are actually continuing this.....amazing! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I agree. There's a lot of damaged good on the Labour benches. There was a statement released recently from the nao the other week warning of the deal done between windfarm manufactures and the labour government. Operating costs would not be subject to inflation. The nao warned that the shortfall would have to be picked up by the taxpayer or more accurately the bill payer via increased energy costs. Who was the climate change minister who signed the deal? Ed Miliband. That act alone torpedoes any economic credibility he had.

Thank you for that information. That adds to my doubts about Miliband's fitness to comment on anything economic.
  • BomoLadBomoLad Posts: 17,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's funny how petulant people get here.

As for the 'script' jibe are we now pretending PMQs is traditionally ad-libbed?

Look at EM. Wearing a tie to the commons. The bastard!
  • ianmattianmatt Posts: 1,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

How could he hammer any points home and put Cameron on the ropes on fuel duty with Labour's record on that. Until Labour produce some plans and Milliband has more to go on than simply opposing everything the government do, then these exchanges will stay low key like today.