Will we be doomed to hung parliaments forever?

Mad_Dog1Mad_Dog1 Posts: 675
Forum Member
✭✭
I'm beginning to get the feeling of a hung parliament next May and with the rise of UKIP, the Greens and resident associations I'm starting to think 2020, 2025 and 2030 could all see hung parliaments.

The Conservatives simply can't for whatever reason garner a majority even when Labour were at the Brownite depths of 2010, Labour are failing to regain British people's confidence after the 2008-2009 fiasco and third and fourth parties are on the rise. Add into this that the SNP will almost certainly be able to spin themselves as a social democratic party post-referendum the prospect of majorities in Westminster seem ever more unlikely.

Will we see more snap elections, more coalitional infighting etc?

Comments

• thenetworkbabethenetworkbabe Posts: 45,624
    Forum Member
    Mad_Dog1 wrote: »
    I'm beginning to get the feeling of a hung parliament next May and with the rise of UKIP, the Greens and resident associations I'm starting to think 2020, 2025 and 2030 could all see hung parliaments.

The Conservatives simply can't for whatever reason garner a majority even when Labour were at the Brownite depths of 2010, Labour are failing to regain British people's confidence after the 2008-2009 fiasco and third and fourth parties are on the rise. Add into this that the SNP will almost certainly be able to spin themselves as a social democratic party post-referendum the prospect of majorities in Westminster seem ever more unlikely.

Well we might lose the Liberal MPs - or half of them. and we could lose the Scottish Labour vote and SNP which would all make a majority government more likely. A majority of one will do - though both major parties are split enough to make sustaining a small majority very difficult.

Its very unlikely UKIP will get more than one or two MPs. Do we vote for Nigel to get Ed may be the question locally here. They may just exacerbate the trend for a lot of votes to be wasted.

The problem for the UK is Labour's rotten boroughs, and the massive Tory seats in some areas - which allows Labour to build a majority on a lower share of the vote - we have the reverse of the US situation where Republican governors help keep a Republican House whatever - by controlling seat boundaries. That job ought to be done by a non political body - not be derailed because Clegg throws a tantrum because he hasn't got a majority for unrelated reform elsewhere. If the winning party in the vote has a majority of seats, and PR has been massively rejected, there's nothing to complain about who wins. At the moment, we could have a Labour leader with support in the low 30 %s , or Clegg continuing as deputy PM in a Labour administration - with a majority of his own 2010 voters, and the country not wanting him there. That might be better than Milliband in charge alone , but neither conclusion looks very democratic, or likely to succeed.
  • GibsonSGGibsonSG Posts: 23,681
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mad_Dog1 wrote: »

Until the revolution at least. Not likely though.
  • leicslad46leicslad46 Posts: 3,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would rather have a hung parliament than have a party with a triple digit majority as was the case in 1983,1987,1997,2001. It is hard to get rid of them if things go wrong. Labour had to wait 18 years to get into power and the conservatives had to wait 13 years albeit in a coalition.
  • David TeeDavid Tee Posts: 22,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hope so. Government through consensus and government with a far larger pool of support.
  • MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    Perhaps if we had had a hung parliament in 1983 we might still have a cost mining industry and one in 2001 might have meant over one hundred thousand civilians in Iraq might still be alive.

One party govt on 35 per cent of the vote is no nirvana.
  • MargMckMargMck Posts: 24,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it becomes more difficult to get an overall majority I think that's a good thing. The fewer safe seats the better, MPs will know they have to work harder, be more honest and make a difference to achieve that and stay in power.
  • duncannduncann Posts: 11,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No to OP's point. I think the Tories will just scrape in next year and do 2 things - make constituencies equal size and therefore fair, and remove Scots, Irish etc. MPs voting on English only legislation. This will slightly help us get back to straight Tory versus Labour. Scots referendum could change all that, but I don't think Scotland will leave the union.

Ironically, the Tories back the First Past the Post system because we get strong majority governments but right now we have an increasingly weak coalition while in Scotland PR has delivered a majority government of determined single-mindedness.

I personally favour PR, the Scots system being the one I'd opt for. I think it is shameful and undemocratic that in elections like Thursday's locals, for example UKIP got 20% of the vote which translated to under 200 seats and not over 800, as it should. I didn't vote UKIP, just pointing out how hopelessly unfair that is. No other EU country has anything like this distorted system.

No wonder most British people don't vote and there is huge cynicism and a disconnect between voter and politician. In national elections 90% of us might as well not vote as we increasingly live in rotten boroughs of permanently safe seats. Politicians make all their promises just to woo a few hundred thousand people in very specific places. On top of that we had in 2005 Tony Blair on a low turnout only getting just over a third of the vote, claiming victory for his wars and excessive borrowing with a decent 'majority'. Yet 2/3 of people actually wanted another government. This is why there is SO much dissatisfaction. There is just way too little democracy.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,720
    Forum Member
    David Tee wrote: »
    Hope so. Government through consensus and government with a far larger pool of support.

Consensus is the reason why Labour and Conservatives have become more or less the same party and lost a great deal of support as a result. As we saw last night the voters want leadership not dithering and compromise.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If we had a electoral system that to form a government a party needed around 55% then we would have hung parliaments. No party these days can even get close to that so coalition would be the norm. We should get rid of fptp because it is outdated and unfair
  • GTR DavoGTR Davo Posts: 4,573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Until they change the ridiculous first past the post system, yes we will be.
  • Old Man 43Old Man 43 Posts: 6,214
    Forum Member
    duncann wrote: »
    No to OP's point. I think the Tories will just scrape in next year and do 2 things - make constituencies equal size and therefore fair, and remove Scots, Irish etc. MPs voting on English only legislation. This will slightly help us get back to straight Tory versus Labour. Scots referendum could change all that, but I don't think Scotland will leave the union.

Ironically, the Tories back the First Past the Post system because we get strong majority governments but right now we have an increasingly weak coalition while in Scotland PR has delivered a majority government of determined single-mindedness.

I personally favour PR, the Scots system being the one I'd opt for. I think it is shameful and undemocratic that in elections like Thursday's locals, for example UKIP got 20% of the vote which translated to under 200 seats and not over 800, as it should. I didn't vote UKIP, just pointing out how hopelessly unfair that is. No other EU country has anything like this distorted system.

No wonder most British people don't vote and there is huge cynicism and a disconnect between voter and politician. In national elections 90% of us might as well not vote as we increasingly live in rotten boroughs of permanently safe seats. Politicians make all their promises just to woo a few hundred thousand people in very specific places. On top of that we had in 2005 Tony Blair on a low turnout only getting just over a third of the vote, claiming victory for his wars and excessive borrowing with a decent 'majority'. Yet 2/3 of people actually wanted another government. This is why there is SO much dissatisfaction. There is just way too little democracy.

The trouble is that people hate coalitions.

Look at the hatred at the Lib Dems for going into coalition with the Conservatives.

It would have been just as bad if they had gone into coalition with Labour.

People talk about wanting the political parties to work together.

But when it happens they do not like it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,720
    Forum Member
    leicslad46 wrote: »
    If we had a electoral system that to form a government a party needed around 55% then we would have hung parliaments. No party these days can even get close to that so coalition would be the norm. We should get rid of fptp because it is outdated and unfair
    GTR Davo wrote: »

Blaming the voting system is a total cop-out. It worked fine up until four years ago. The parties need to change.
  • Old Man 43Old Man 43 Posts: 6,214
    Forum Member
    Meilie wrote: »
    Blaming the voting system is a total cop-out. It worked fine up until four years ago. The parties need to change.

The problem that both Labour and the Conservatives have got is if they move to far to the extreme ends of their party they will not win a GE with an overall majority.

The Conservatives have a particular problem with UKIP taking a portion of their base support from them.

However Labour has a problem in that no one believes that Ed Miliband is up to the job of Prime Minister.

I suspect that if David Miliband had been leader of the Labour party at the moment. Labour would be well ahead in the polls and UKIP would not be getting a look in (apart from a small amount of extreme right wingers).
  • hatpeghatpeg Posts: 3,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With Labour and Conservatives worried about UKIP, the easiest way to reduce their impact at the next Election would be to have None of the Above on the voting paper.

Many who feel that they are between a rock and a hard place with Labour and Conservatives, but feel uncomfortable with UKIP would go for NOTA, and therefore leave it as a straight fight between the two parties.

I do suspect that NOTA would poll a very high total.
  • Richard1960Richard1960 Posts: 20,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Consensus is the reason why Labour and Conservatives have become more or less the same party and lost a great deal of support as a result. As we saw last night the voters want leadership not dithering and compromise.

Spot on

Could not have put it better myself.:)
  • gulliverfoylegulliverfoyle Posts: 6,318
    Forum Member
    hopefully the scots will vote for independance and bugger off out of our votes

labour will be decimated
  • Richard1960Richard1960 Posts: 20,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hopefully the scots will vote for independance and bugger off out of our votes

labour will be decimated

The only chance of that happening would have been if the UK voters had of been given a vote in my opinion.

Cannot understand why we were not after all scots MPs (in westminster } can vote on legislation affecting us,but not vice versa.:confused:
  • Steveaustin316Steveaustin316 Posts: 15,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    GTR Davo wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with the current system. Whichever party gets the most votes wins the seat in parliament. A simple system which works best.

I thought the referendum had proved voters preferred the current system.
  • LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    Old Man 43 wrote: »
    The trouble is that people hate coalitions.

Look at the hatred at the Lib Dems for going into coalition with the Conservatives.

It would have been just as bad if they had gone into coalition with Labour.

People talk about wanting the political parties to work together.

But when it happens they do not like it.

People just aren't used to coalitions.

The Lib Dems should either have made it absolutely clear what policies or compromises they won for their support on certain things, or have made it clear to their Tory partners from the start that their support could not be guaranteed on all policies.

In the case of the bedroom tax mess there was plenty of evidence before that change went through that there wasn't sufficient housing with fewer bedrooms available for people to move into, and that wasn't the only problem with that particular policy. The Lib Dems should have become the voice of reason in the partnership and refused to support things that facts do not support. That would have helped them maintain at least some credibility.
  • razorboyrazorboy Posts: 5,831
    Forum Member

They have that sort of leadership in Russia and North Korea. Germany also have a leader like that once.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nobody has challenged the way we vote. We have not known any other way for us to vote. We need a voting system that is more fairer and that ensures that the winning party has over 50% of the popular vote. At the moment we have governments who can govern with only 35%. Is this fair? No it isnt
  • Mad_Dog1Mad_Dog1 Posts: 675
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nothing wrong with the current system. Whichever party gets the most votes wins the seat in parliament. A simple system which works best.

I thought the referendum had proved voters preferred the current system.

Err the first past the post system doesn't even guarantee that...

The number of seats each party gets should be as close in proportion directly to their vote share as possible. A STV constituency vote with a d'Hont open list regional top-up would be the best system by far.

AV is not a proportional system; it's the election of the least-hated candidate which is frankly silly and does very little to address the vast swathes of safe seats, many supporters of PR didn't vote for it. A total stitch-up of an offer.
  • sparkie70sparkie70 Posts: 3,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The question for Labour is if they are just short of a majority next year then what do they do?
    Do they form a minority government or go into coalition which is likely to be the Lib Dems. Even if they have 30 MP's that is reasonably comfortable.
  • SoppyfanSoppyfan Posts: 29,911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's one thing that could be factored in, voting turnout and it's getting to a point where turnouts have dropped massively. The Eastliegh by-election was a sign of upcoming low-turnouts I think.