Options

People saying "He's 28 years of old".

JeffersonJefferson Posts: 3,736
Forum Member
✭✭✭
By mistake. As Ian Payne just did (on LBC) when talking about Wayne Rooney.

It always seems odd to me how often this mistake is made.

A bloke in the audience of Question Time last week said "I'm 82 years of old". Mind you he's probably got more reason than most to get it wrong.

Comments

• Options
    InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never heard anyone say that. On the other hand, why do people say "he's 28 years of age"? What else could he be 28 years of? Width? Length? Misery? He's 28. That's all you need to say.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've also never heard anyone say that.
  • Options
    Bex_123Bex_123 Posts: 10,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can't say I've ever heard anyone use that term.

If I did, I'd assume they just got their words mixed up between years old and years of age.
  • Options
    gasheadgashead Posts: 13,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is it the latest deliberate mis-use of the language, such as when people talk about the 'interweb', 'pron' and 'pwning' to oh so hilarious effect?
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do not think he said that. In all my years of old, i have never heard that expression.
  • Options
    coughthecatcoughthecat Posts: 6,876
    Forum Member
    Jefferson wrote: »

A bloke in the audience of Question Time last week said "I'm 82 years of old". Mind you he's probably got more reason than most to get it wrong.

For goodness' sake ... the guy got tongue-tied when the camera was on him and it was clear that he immediately realised he'd mixed up "82 years old" and "82 years of age". How is someone getting their words mixed up in any way "odd"? :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For goodness' sake ... the guy got tongue-tied when the camera was on him and it was clear that he immediately realised he'd mixed up "82 years old" and "82 years of age". How is someone getting their words mixed up in any way "odd"? :confused:

It's odd how many "professional TV talkers" do it. I did kinda excuse the old chap on QT.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do not think he said that. In all my years of old, i have never heard that expression.

Who do you mean by "he"?
  • Options
    jrmswfcjrmswfc Posts: 5,644
    Forum Member
    This thread title was literally the first time in my life that I've heard this expression.
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gashead wrote: »
    Is it the latest deliberate mis-use of the language, such as when people talk about the 'interweb', 'pron' and 'pwning' to oh so hilarious effect?

Possibly - bit like "a women" instead of "a woman".
  • Options
    shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Stupid thread says more about the op than anyone else. It's bloody obvious how this could happen.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bex_123 wrote: »
    Can't say I've ever heard anyone use that term.

If I did, I'd assume they just got their words mixed up between years old and years of age.

Of course. It's not deliberate at all. It just seems so natural that 28 years of

Is followed by "age".
  • Options
    John259John259 Posts: 28,484
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This thread reminds me of the highly intriguing first sentence of the science fiction novel Inverted World by Christopher Priest: ""I had reached the age of six hundred and fifty miles."

For an explanation of why this makes perfect sense within the context of the story, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inverted_World
  • Options
    Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,998
    Forum Member
    First time I've ever heard of anyone saying that to be honest.
  • Options
    coughthecatcoughthecat Posts: 6,876
    Forum Member
    Of course. It's not deliberate at all. It just seems so natural that 28 years of

Is followed by "age".

It just seems natural to use a lower case "i" in "is" when it isn't preceded by a full stop, but we all make mistakes.

I still don't see how it's odd to make an occasional mistake, and until today I'd never noticed anyone saying "years of old". :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shackfan wrote: »
    Stupid thread says more about the op than anyone else. It's bloody obvious how this could happen.

What are you trying to say? Bearing in mind you were wrongly thinking I was asking how this could happen. I WASN'T.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It just seems natural to use a lower case "i" in "is" when it isn't preceded by a full stop, but we all make mistakes.

I still don't see how it's odd to make an occasional mistake, and until today I'd never noticed anyone saying "years of old". :confused:

My tablet did that automatically.
  • Options
    Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another thriller of a thread. Where do you get all this stuff from?
  • Options
    Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, never heard this... it might have been a one of slip of the tongue
  • Options
    Bedlam_maidBedlam_maid Posts: 5,922
    Forum Member

I've not heard that said, ever.
  • Options
    Lou KellyLou Kelly Posts: 2,778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never, ever heard this said or read it written (until now) and I never, ever will again.
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've also never heard it said, even once, in my 42 years of years.
  • Options
    Kaz159Kaz159 Posts: 11,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've not heard that said, ever.

Me neither. i presume it was just a slip of the tongue in both cases.
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,274
    Forum Member
    I've also never heard anyone say that.

Yep. Never.
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He was probably thinking of "in days of old"

when knights were bold... http://www.odps.org/glossword/index.php?a=term&d=3&t=145