• Fiddly_FeltzFiddly_Feltz Posts: 645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Horrific.

Torremolinos at sea!
  • MaccaMacca Posts: 18,525
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not sure if it was meant to be serious or a piss take.
  • dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was supposed to help promote Princess Cruises, and be an interesting insight into how cruise ships work, what we got was a dumbed down light entertainment programme, it was like watching an episode of Benidorm.
  • chestfieldchestfield Posts: 3,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Further proof to me, if ever any was needed, that we will NOT be going on a cruise. some friends of ours do, and they thoroughly enjoy them - definitely not for us
  • miavivmiaviv Posts: 3,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That blonde woman was awful. We're on the ship at the end of the month, looks amazing.
  • HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I found it fascinating. Have never been on a cruise and have no plans to but I was amazed at the amount of passengers, food, laundry and all the other stats.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hotgossip wrote: »
    I found it fascinating. Have never been on a cruise and have no plans to but I was amazed at the amount of passengers, food, laundry and all the other stats.

Not what I would call fascinating...if you want to see a programme on how cruise ships really work, check out Mighty Ships on Quest or Discovery Channel, they have done a few cruise ships:-

Queen Mary II
    Norwegian Epic
    Oasis of the Seas
    Norwegian Breakaway

Far more stats and interest than this ITV rubbish.
  • PedroPedro Posts: 9,911
    Forum Member
    All those people, all that food and drink. It's a gigantic floating lavatory !!! No wonder people get ill on some of these ships.
  • plattyplatty Posts: 892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If anything that program is enough to put anybody of going on a cruise , it looked horrendous , I've always wanted to go on a cruise around the Norwegian fjords and Iceland , probably will one day , but definitely not on that monstrosity :o
  • pward1965pward1965 Posts: 289
    Forum Member
    dearmrman wrote: »
    I thought it was supposed to help promote Princess Cruises, and be an interesting insight into how cruise ships work, what we got was a dumbed down light entertainment programme, it was like watching an episode of Benidorm.

Agreed; never watched Benidorm but this was a light and fluffy advert for Princess Cruises squarely aimed at their demographic.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pward1965 wrote: »
    Agreed; never watched Benidorm but this was a light and fluffy advert for Princess Cruises squarely aimed at their demographic.

It so isn't though...I don't know who they are trying to aim it at, but I know someone who frequently travels with Princess Cruises (4-5 a year), but she watched the programme and if she had never travelled with them before, this programme certainly would have put her off doing a cruise with them.
  • TheGrumpWizardTheGrumpWizard Posts: 1,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It looked like we only got about 10 minutes of actual content given the amount of repeated filler.

Cruises aren't for me. This one did nothing to change my view that they mainly look tacky and claustrophobic.
  • valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have been on a few cruises but would never go on one of these monster ships. The smaller ships with fewer passengers are much better and friendlier and you get more personal attention.
  • FM LoverFM Lover Posts: 50,780
    Forum Member
    valkay wrote: »
    I have been on a few cruises but would never go on one of these monster ships. The smaller ships with fewer passengers are much better and friendlier and you get more personal attention.

3500 passengers on board and no doubt a lot of them would have been loud Americans. Fancy being stuck on there for a fortnight:o

Lovely ship but just huge, thought John Thompson's narration was good, his 'Titanic' quip did make me smile.
  • japarajapara Posts: 1,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That Mandy was awful (oops I sound like dick emery) but what a chaf "we know where to stand to nab the free drinks" and having a food fight with the captain!!!
  • goonernataliegoonernatalie Posts: 4,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I need to watch this on catch up
  • BryanandLucBryanandLuc Posts: 1,056
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The show is what it is, a glimpse of life on board a cruise ship. Noticeably the hard working workers all seem to be Filipino, probably paid peanuts
    I wonder if the entertainer/singer will have as successful a career as Jane McDonald from the last Cruise programme
  • Fibromite59Fibromite59 Posts: 22,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder if the entertainer/singer will have as successful a career as Jane McDonald from the last Cruise programme

I wouldn't think so as he was dreadful! :o
  • Fibromite59Fibromite59 Posts: 22,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    platty wrote: »
    If anything that program is enough to put anybody of going on a cruise , it looked horrendous , I've always wanted to go on a cruise around the Norwegian fjords and Iceland , probably will one day , but definitely not on that monstrosity :o

I am going on my first ever cruise this summer and it's to the Norwegian fjoirds. However, after seeing the programme last night I am a bit worried about if I will enjoy it. I am not a party type of person but am friendly. I will just have to see how it goes.
  • pward1965pward1965 Posts: 289
    Forum Member
    The show is what it is, a glimpse of life on board a cruise ship. Noticeably the hard working workers all seem to be Filipino, probably paid peanuts

Cruise ship crew pay is a bit controversial. They are paid a small salary, typically $50 per month. Obviously they get bed and board. The majority of their pay is made up of a share of passenger gratuities, which are really now more of a service charge than what we in the UK would understand of a tip.

It's not exactly peanuts pay to them; they can earn 15 TIMES what they could earn at home. These guys and girls work hard too, working every single day of their contract, typically six or seven months at a stretch, but it's worth it to them.
  • Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know ad breaks on commercial channels feel like they are getting longer, but ITV surely surpassed themselves with a 30 minute long one between the two Coronation Street episodes on Friday night.

What a depressing lack of originality this was. BBC1 have been there and done it before, and it was bad enough the first time. I think there will be many viewers going overboard before the remaining three parts conclude.
  • chestfieldchestfield Posts: 3,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pward1965 wrote: »
    Cruise ship crew pay is a bit controversial. They are paid a small salary, typically $50 per month. Obviously they get bed and board. The majority of their pay is made up of a share of passenger gratuities, which are really now more of a service charge than what we in the UK would understand of a tip.

It's not exactly peanuts pay to them; they can earn 15 TIMES what they could earn at home. These guys and girls work hard too, working every single day of their contract, typically six or seven months at a stretch, but it's worth it to them.

I have a friend in the Philippines, whose son is a seaman (I think a third officer on a tanker) and he sends back a proportion of his salary, which is more than enough for her to improve her house
  • niceguy1966niceguy1966 Posts: 29,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    I know ad breaks on commercial channels feel like they are getting longer, but ITV surely surpassed themselves with a 30 minute long one between the two Coronation Street episodes on Friday night.

What a depressing lack of originality this was. BBC1 have been there and done it before, and it was bad enough the first time. I think there will be many viewers going overboard before the remaining three parts conclude.

Bad as this program was, I was even more shocked to learn there were two episodes of Coronation Street on the same night! What is happening at ITV?
  • Susan_TowersSusan_Towers Posts: 121
    Forum Member
    Pedro wrote: »
    All those people, all that food and drink. It's a gigantic floating lavatory !!! No wonder people get ill on some of these ships.

That's exactly what I thought! The amount of sewage created each day must be enormous. Do they discharge that out at sea? Must do, I suppose. Yuk.
    It's my idea of hell, being crammed on a ship with the equivalent amount of people as a small town would have, but then I am anti-social and like SPACE around me - something I don't think I'd get on there.
  • newda898newda898 Posts: 5,465
    Forum Member
    That's exactly what I thought! The amount of sewage created each day must be enormous. Do they discharge that out at sea? Must do, I suppose. Yuk.

The sewage is properly processed and comes out as clear, clean water before it's pumped out, just like on land.

Depending on the system installed they can use this processed water in the laundry to wash the clothes and bed linen ;-)