Forum Member
    Mickey S wrote: »
    She was a 90-year-old woman. :D

... who thought Jack was her ex's son! :D
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    gp100mk wrote: »
    Firstly, let me say that I am not homophobic in the slightest. Whatever someone wants to be is absolutely none of my business, and I respect people for what they are.

However, I don't really want homosexuality rammed down my throat whilst watching a sci-fi series. I could understand it if the program I was watching was Queer as Folk...but this is a Doctor Who spin-off!

I have no problems with homosexuals, but personally I don't really want to see two men kissing - being a hetrosexual I find the this quite repulsive. Why should I have to endure blokes kissing each other just because the producer of the series is gay? What does science fiction have to do with homosexuality? Maybe i wouldn't mind so much if this wasn't a DW spinoff. Would the TV networks in the US introduce gay storylines into the next Star Trek spin-off - I don't think so!

I respect RTD for making such a good job of bringing back Doctor Who and creating Torchwood, but why does he have to give a gay agenda to them? There's plenty of room for that sort of thing in his other TV shows.

You know where the off switch is on your remote control!

No one is forcing you to watch.

I find it refreshing to see all sexualities catered for on a television programme. I don't moan when I see the heterosexual kissy bit!
  • Options
    BertypopBertypop Posts: 4,236
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Callous wrote: »
    I think the show needs a token straight guy ...

....Torchwood could go really out there and actually make him a married straight guy who would stay completely faithful to his wife throughout the shows run.

It would also be an interesting dynamic to have a member of the team who concentrated on completing a mission rather than being distracted by flirting/having sex.

Rhys?

I seem to recall that he may be more involved with the series this year...
  • Options
    The SlugThe Slug Posts: 4,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mickey S wrote: »
    She was a 90-year-old woman. :D

I know. I also know that James Marsters will be back later in the series. But next year I want Captain John to return, played by Bruce Forsyth, and give everybody an episode to remember. :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11
    Forum Member
    I feel that gay or straight there's too much sex in the series often to the detriment of the story. Let's face it if they're going to be able to make a pre-watershed version for the kiddie- winks that's coherent all the sex stuff must be unimportant to the story. I just think that they are too blatant when sometimes subtlety can be far better and more interesting. I have never worked in any job where people were so promiscuous they act like they're on a club 18-30 holiday!
  • Options
    BertypopBertypop Posts: 4,236
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I feel that gay or straight there's too much sex in the series often to the detriment of the story. Let's face it if they're going to be able to make a pre-watershed version for the kiddie- winks that's coherent all the sex stuff must be unimportant to the story. I just think that they are too blatant when sometimes subtlety can be far better and more interesting. I have never worked in any job where people were so promiscuous they act like they're on a club 18-30 holiday!

I work in an office thats full of innuendo. We're not all sleeping together, but sometimes we behave as if we are. It's quite fun, keeps things light.
  • Options
    GrooberGroober Posts: 875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fear not, the Lord God Himself will judge these theatrics

For He is ever watchful :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why does everyone keep saying it detracts from the plot? What plot? The plot was paper thin as were most of them last year.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fear not, the Lord God Himself will judge these theatrics

For He is ever watchful :)

Are you just going into every thread and condeming people??
  • Options
    muldranmuldran Posts: 489
    Forum Member
    Didn't make me twinge.

But I suppose it gives the RTD haters yet another drum to bang on (ohh, banging on RTD's drum, that's obviously gay as well...)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,767
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    muldran wrote: »
    Didn't make me twinge.

But I suppose it gives the RTD haters yet another drum to bang on (ohh, banging on RTD's drum, that's obviously gay as well...)

RTD didn't pen the script last night...Chris Chibnall did.

I think what some people are saying is they don't have a problem with the swearing or snogging..whether it is with two blokes, two women, a man and a woman, a man with an alien, a woman with an alien (not sure I have covered all bases) but it should never be at the expense of telling us a good story or to the plot. there were times in the first run when they seemed to go out of their way to shock but usually that was cover up the lack of a coherent story or plot. the whole point of the series is to tell a story surely.

It's early days as only the first episode has gone out but I certainly saw signs of improvement so I am hoping that builds over the coming weeks.
  • Options
    MidiboyMidiboy Posts: 8,263
    Forum Member
    Why does everyone keep saying it detracts from the plot? What plot? The plot was paper thin as were most of them last year.

That's exactly what my OH and I thought last night. We don't really care who's snogging who or why, just give us a decent plotline and characters we care about.

Yes, it was better than some of the shockingly bad episodes of series 1, but it was nowhere as good as Countrycide or They Keep Killing Susie IMO.

Oh and to the OP, get over it.
  • Options
    CraigpughCraigpugh Posts: 665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I want to start by saying i am not in the slightest bit homophobophobic, but i just dont like all this homophobia being foriced down my throat.

The sight of all these homophobes kissing each others a*%£s is just REPUGNANT.

I am amazed it is allowed on this family forum. I dont mind if people do choose to be homophobic, or whether they choose to be just proper decent normal people like the rest of us non homophobics, but i dont push my non homophobia on you, like i dont expect you to force your homophobia on me.

Why oh why oh why must certain peoplke persist with this "Homophobic Agenda"
  • Options
    RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Craigpugh wrote: »
    I want to start by saying i am not in the slightest bit homophobophobic, but i just dont like all this homophobia being foriced down my throat.
    Well I'm no homophobophobphobe but...
  • Options
    Baroness BunkumBaroness Bunkum Posts: 4,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Firstly, let me say that I am not homophobic in the slightest. Whatever someone wants to be is absolutely none of my business, and I respect people for what they are.

However, I don't really want homosexuality rammed down my throat whilst watching a sci-fi series. I could understand it if the program I was watching was Queer as Folk...but this is a Doctor Who spin-off!

I have no problems with homosexuals, but personally I don't really want to see two men kissing - being a hetrosexual I find the this quite repulsive. Why should I have to endure blokes kissing each other just because the producer of the series is gay? What does science fiction have to do with homosexuality? Maybe i wouldn't mind so much if this wasn't a DW spinoff. Would the TV networks in the US introduce gay storylines into the next Star Trek spin-off - I don't think so!

I respect RTD for making such a good job of bringing back Doctor Who and creating Torchwood, but why does he have to give a gay agenda to them? There's plenty of room for that sort of thing in his other TV shows.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Wow; 120,000 clichés in one post

Respect!
  • Options
    J_PeasmouldJ_Peasmould Posts: 715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As a straight guy I accept the show for what it is, an adult drama. If I was offended I wouldn't watch it...it doesn't offend me.

I must admit that I would prefer it more if it were two women that were kissing, but that is another story!!:p

I think it's good to have a show that is different!

:)
  • Options
    liquidJPliquidJP Posts: 1,999
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sheesh does this thread actually exist...!!
    *Check calender for mofe on mars type incident*
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,210
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not homophobic, but I find the over-sexed nature of TW distasteful, as well as RTD's gay agenda. It wrongly makes homosexuality a novelty.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Firstly, let me say that I am not heterophobic in the slightest. Whatever someone wants to be is absolutely none of my business, and I respect people for what they are.

However, I don't really want heterosexuality rammed down my throat whilst watching a sci-fi series. I could understand it if the program I was watching was any other drama / soap on TV...but this is a Doctor Who spin-off!

I have no problems with heterosexuals, but personally I don't really want to see a man and a woman kissing - I find the this quite repulsive. Why should I have to endure a man and a woman kissing each other just because the producer of the series is heterosexual? What does science fiction have to do with heterosexuality? Maybe i wouldn't mind so much if this wasn't a DW spinoff. Would the TV networks in the US introduce straight storylines into the next Star Trek spin-off - I don't think so!

I respect RTD for making such a good job of bringing back Doctor Who and creating Torchwood, but why does he have to give a straight agenda to them? There's plenty of room for that sort of thing in his other TV shows.

See your post above - I have altered it, as shown by the bits in bold.
    Do you see how totally ridiculous it sounds?
  • Options
    IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am sure it was just Barrowman asking the writers - Please can I snog Spike, please, please, pretty please.
  • Options
    JohnFlawbodJohnFlawbod Posts: 4,667
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    See your post above - I have altered it, as shown by the bits in bold.
    Do you see how totally ridiculous it sounds?

Bold or no bold, it doesn't sound ridiculous at all...I think you'll find it's called "satire" one of the many areas of expertise gay men have at their disposal...

...don't like men kissing? watch something else. Don't want your kids to see men kissing? Exercise some parental backbone and don't let them watch shows where it happens...problem solved.
  • Options
    ramraiderukramraideruk Posts: 1,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    da33431 wrote: »
    I am not a homophobe BUT...... :rolleyes:
    Sounds so similar to the 'I'm not racist but' arguments I used to hear in the 70's :mad:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cant see the problem myself , One episode with a bit kissing so what
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bold or no bold, it doesn't sound ridiculous at all...I think you'll find it's called "satire" one of the many areas of expertise gay men have at their disposal...

...don't like men kissing? watch something else. Don't want your kids to see men kissing? Exercise some parental backbone and don't let them watch shows where it happens...problem solved.

I don't understand your post :confused:
    I altered the OP's post by exchanging the words gay / homosexual with the words straight / heterosexual, in order to point out how ridiculous it sounded if the tables were turned... I don't know what you're having a go at me for. :confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Most shows on television have heterosexual majorities with heterosexual producers and I doubt you go around complaining about how the "straight agenda" has nothing to do with the general content. That's clearly because you have some sort of *thing* with gay kissing and have chosen to focus on it, but you should recognise that you are applying double standards.