Jennys delusions

2»

Comments

• CressidaCressida Posts: 3,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    babydoll.. wrote: »
    Her career has been dead for years... Even if she did have a script to read i still wouldnt find her funny. All she goes on about is her age and looks.
    I prefer comedians who are funny regardless of a script.

You are ill informed. Jenny has tour dates coming up in the New Year.
  • cavallicavalli Posts: 18,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Her career has been dead for years...Even if she did have a script to read i still wouldnt find her funny. All she goes on about is her age and looks.
    I prefer comedians who are funny regardless of a script.

Is that right :rolleyes:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jenny_Eclair
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cavalli wrote: »

Yes that is right. :rolleyes:
    Thats when you KNOW people are hasbeens when their fans shove the wikepedia link in your face... and shes on Im a celeb. Nuff said really.
  • benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jenny E is a funny talented woman.I had to laugh at the poster who suggested she had "self image" problems. Whatever problems she may, or may not have, self image is not one of them.Jenny does however suffer from ageism, comes to us all, sadly. She is no longer important, dismissed and diregarded and generally derided. Its a particularly British trait, build em up and knock em down!!!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tvsaddo wrote: »
    She should have just done a Mckeith and fainted!:D

or a Basil Fawlty :D
  • cavallicavalli Posts: 18,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes that is right. :rolleyes:
    Thats when you KNOW people are hasbeens when their fans shove the wikepedia link in your face... and shes on Im a celeb. Nuff said really.

Yes dear.
  • SatanelSatanel Posts: 11,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jenny is so funny in my opinion, she deserves to be there (although i wasn't expecting her to get this far - I'm glad she did!)

Stacey and Jenny! :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 95
    Forum Member
    I thought the same :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 72
    Forum Member
    Jenny's career isn't over. She has always made a decent living out of comedy and writing and tours regularly. I saw her last year in Grumpy Old Women and although it's not really my kind of humour and I had to be dragged along to it, she was the best person in the show. Britt Ekland was in the same cast and she was truly awful.
  • Digital SidDigital Sid Posts: 39,870
    Forum Member
    Jenny isn't particularly funny scripted or unscripted.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,091
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think she may have low self esteem beneath all that tough tomboy front.

Yes you may have a point there!

However, I don't think it helped any that Dom behaved so arrogantly during the task. It was only after it had ended that he revealed his true feelings regarding everyone's performance. Namely, that, in his opinion, Stacey had been the real star throughout.

In other words, to him, Stacey's performance had been more impressive than both his and Jenny's.

I suspect Jenny shared that view too, which clearly didn't do anything positive for her self-esteem.:o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is possible to have a career that doesn't involve being on TV 24/7.

I know they all want to improve their profiles by being on this programme but that can be to get work more easily in other areas and Jenny doesn't seem to have any problems filling seats on tour dates, this may simply mean her fee can go up.

In fact a lot of comedians discover that TV can be a poisoned chalice as they can do a huge part of their act in a couple of spots on Live at the Apollo and then when people go to see them live as a result they come away disppointed that they have seen the same material all over again.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    YingYang wrote: »
    Yes you may have a point there!

However, I don't think it helped any that Dom behaved so arrogantly during the task. It was only after it had ended that he revealed his true feelings regarding everyone's performance. Namely, that, in his opinion, Stacey had been the real star throughout.

In other words, to him, Stacey's performance had been more impressive than both his and Jenny's.

I suspect Jenny shared that view too, which clearly didn't do anything positive for her self-esteem.:o

She may have had a horrible experience doing an improv exercise when younger that has forever haunted her and which she had managed to bury deep in her psyche but suddenly all came to the surface again. Or not.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People who do improv (not impro, as Jenny said) are very clever and usually NATURALLY funny. To rely on scripts and choreographed performances is another talent altogether, also clever, but I personally prefer the natural approach. I think she was just feeling a bit off and paranoid.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,091
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vidalia wrote: »
    She may have had a horrible experience doing an improv exercise when younger that has forever haunted her and which she had managed to bury deep in her psyche but suddenly all came to the surface again. Or not.

Perhaps. However, even if it's true she's unlikely to share it with the great British public.

The real irony in all of this is that in expressing her sense of humiliation over the task she effectively achieved the outcome she most feared. That is, by highlighting her weaknesses re: the task, she merely drew attention to something that the viewing public probably hadn't considered or thought of as noteworthy.

For example, I'd barely noticed her so-called 'failure' until she went on and on and on about it.

Moreover, I neither think she's damaged her showbiz reputation or truely failed in any significant sense. After all, we're talking about her perceived failures/achievements in the context of a TV entertainment show. LOL:rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    YingYang wrote: »
    Perhaps. However, even if it's true she's unlikely to share it with the great British public.

The real irony in all of this was that in expressing her sense humiliation over the task she effectively achieved the outcome she most feared. That is, in voicing her sense of failure re: the task, she merely drew attention to something that the viewing public probably hadn't considered or thought of as noteworthy.

For example, I'd barely noticed her so-called 'failure' until she went on and on about it.

Moreover, I neither think she's damaged her showbiz reputation or truely failed in any significant sense. After all we're talking about her perceived failures/achievements in the context of a challenge-based entertainment show. LOL:rolleyes:

That is so often the way. Any counsellor will tell you to never, ever highlight the areas where you feel most uncomfortable whether that is in public speaking or how you feel you look or anything - 99% of the time people won't see what you fear most but if you point it out to them then 100% of them will see it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 352
    Forum Member
    I do think Jenny is naturally amusing but she was obviously really uncomfortable with this task and was honest about her unease with it. As comedians go, I like her.

But generally I prefer naturally funny people who aren't "comedians." I find Stacey a naturally funny person but she's not a comic.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,253
    Forum Member
    I have not been a fan of Jenny on this particular show but she wrote a novel called 'wish you were here' - and it was so funny and moving it should be a modern classic - she really does have a good brain in there somewhere.:)