Options

The Leona Lewis Appreciation Thread (Part 23)

Comments

• Options
    Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    fodg09 wrote: »
    Third week in the top 10 for the DVD in the UK, down two places to number 8

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/chart/musicdvds

My local Tesco's haven't had any DVD's in for days now.
  • Options
    EtherealEthereal Posts: 36,118
    Forum Member

Brilliant! 3 weeks top 10 with no promotion is fantastic. Still amazed it has done so well. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ethereal wrote: »
    Brilliant! 3 weeks top 10 with no promotion is fantastic. Still amazed it has done so well. :)

Does anyone have any actual sales numbers for Leona in Germany? I'd love to see some figures.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Brilliant considering I haven't seen it ANYWHERE. They moved the DVDs back in my HMV (:o:D) but I couldn't see where, and in the new releases section JLS' tour DVD was there. Leona's wasn't when it was released! So I complained about not being able to find Leona's and saying "well JLS' seems to be in the new releases section, why isn't hers?' and telling them off for the layout of their store.

Totally acting like a fussy grandma :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    snoopy10 wrote: »
    Brilliant considering I haven't seen it ANYWHERE. They moved the DVDs back in my HMV (:o:D) but I couldn't see where, and in the new releases section JLS' tour DVD was there. Leona's wasn't when it was released! So I complained about not being able to find Leona's and saying "well JLS' seems to be in the new releases section, why isn't hers?' and telling them off for the layout of their store.

I wonder if they've simply used up all the stock not expecting it to sell much?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder if they've simply used up all the stock not expecting it to sell much?

They told me they 'might have some in the back'. I told them to stick it, and that I was going to Tesco's.

Didn't have the reaction I wanted though, he didn't seem to care too much :D
  • Options
    BrokenArrowBrokenArrow Posts: 21,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

JLS is in a proper DVD case, the stores know what to do with a DVD case, jewel cases are for CD's, it was a dumb idea to put it one of these cases.

Honestly, this is not rocket science, why are they so bad at marketing.
  • Options
    saxman25osaxman25o Posts: 3,457
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TESCO IN LEEDS and thats one of thier Super stores ONLY HAD 1 COPY LEFT ! aint gonna sell if aint on the shelves :mad:
    couldnt even hope someone might move a copy ;) damn! should have been up at Number 1 :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    JLS is in a proper DVD case, the stores know what to do with a DVD case, jewel cases are for CD's, it was a dumb idea to put it one of these cases.

It's in the CD chart at my work and I've seen it there in another DVD/CD/Games shop in my town. The chart is quite prominent and at the front of the store.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ethereal wrote: »
    It's in the CD chart at my work and I've seen it there in another DVD/CD/Games shop in my town. The chart is quite prominent and at the front of the store.

Problem with the CD chart is it's not a top selling CD so it's a bit stuck away, at least with the DVD's it might be more obvious.

I know when I went into my local HMV it was alongside the other top selling DVD's, but when placed with the CD's it's just shoved on the bottom shelf.

Like I say when I moved the few copies left in my local Tesco up onto the top (in the Susan Boyle slot) they have all sold out.
  • Options
    gelbma0991gelbma0991 Posts: 4,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I don't think it was at all. It was a good ploy to do this, just because supermarkets are stupid and don't know what to do with it doesn't mean music stores don't.

I've said this before - the reason it's marketed like this is three fold - Music DVD, New Release & CD A-Z.
    What will be the top selling music store in the country at the moment? HMV. Well, to be fair, I think it's the only big chained one left.
    The way they SHOULD be setting it out is by having a pocket (full) in both the Music DVD A-Z, and in the Rock/Pop A-Z (CDs) as it is still in the chart. Then ONLY the first week it was released it should be on a display, NOT NOW. It's not a major release so of course it's not going to be marketed massively. I don't get why people can't understand this?
    If people want to watch Leona live, they'll have gone to the tour and/or they will KNOW about the DVD.

Anyway, for the record - it's set out correctly in my store and it's selling quite well. I put it on the Christmas Music DVD display (in the centre!), and it's double stacked in both the MDVD and Rock/Pop A-Zs. I sold 2 on Sunday.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Problem with the CD chart is it's not a top selling CD so it's a bit stuck away, at least with the DVD's it might be more obvious.

I know when I went into my local HMV it was alongside the other top selling DVD's, but when placed with the CD's it's just shoved on the bottom shelf.

Like I say when I moved the few copies left in my local Tesco up onto the top (in the Susan Boyle slot) they have all sold out.

Well in my work it's in the twenties and in the shop I went to it was in the teens and quite high up on the display. I remember spotting it immediately and the chart was right next to the entrance of the store.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    gelbma0991 wrote: »
    I don't think it was at all. It was a good ploy to do this, just because supermarkets are stupid and don't know what to do with it doesn't mean music stores don't.

I've said this before - the reason it's marketed like this is three fold - Music DVD, New Release & CD A-Z.
    What will be the top selling music store in the country at the moment? HMV. Well, to be fair, I think it's the only big chained one left.
    The way they SHOULD be setting it out is by having a pocket (full) in both the Music DVD A-Z, and in the Rock/Pop A-Z (CDs) as it is still in the chart. Then ONLY the first week it was released it should be on a display, NOT NOW. It's not a major release so of course it's not going to be marketed massively. I don't get why people can't understand this?
    If people want to watch Leona live, they'll have gone to the tour and/or they will KNOW about the DVD.

Anyway, for the record - it's set out correctly in my store and it's selling quite well. I put it on the Christmas Music DVD display (in the centre!), and it's double stacked in both the MDVD and Rock/Pop A-Zs. I sold 2 on Sunday.

Yes I think there's just a difference with the supermarkets and the proper music stores.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My HMV are clearly just crap then :( Not surprising considering where I live (I'm not going to say in case you all judge me :D)

I think I'm going to put the DVD on when we have all the (extended) family over for Christmas. I'll force Leonazilla on them, they won't know what's hit them! ;):D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My HMV are clearly just crap then :( Not surprising considering where I live (I'm not going to say in case you all judge me :D)

I think I'm going to put the DVD on when we have all the (extended) family over for Christmas. I'll force Leonazilla on them, they won't know what's hit them! ;):D

I suppose it depends how big the store is really, and how much of other stock they have. I mean our CD A-Z is quite big considering how small our store is, which allows for a pocket for such a 'small' release.

And I say go for it. I might even buy copies of Echo and Spirit for family members hah :p
  • Options
    Cassie..Cassie.. Posts: 3,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    German Xmas Charts

Run 14

Spirit 44
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Still no leaked versions of the full "First Time Ever I Saw Your Face" Sekonda advert style? Sounds beyond Incredible!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tonight on it`s Paul Burling ( britains got talent) a sketch taking off Simon Cowell / Cheryl etc the Agatha Christy detective was interogating Simon and suggested Simon was guilty of Murder
    Simon offerd a three album deal plus a christmas single with alexandra burke as a bribe ro get him off the hook , pierot replied NO ,BUT Leona Lewis ? with glint in eye ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    by the way Guy`s The last copy of DVD in Tesco super store Leeds Just wound up at number 1 beside Take that ! where it should be !!!!:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MontyJ16 wrote: »
    Still no leaked versions of the full "First Time Ever I Saw Your Face" Sekonda advert style? Sounds beyond Incredible!

There won't be - it was made JUST for that length. I asked the guy at Sekonda who uploaded the video earlier this year and said there was no full version, they just asked for that mix with the end vocals... :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Anyone know if Leona's New Years live show will be televised?
  • Options
    frank48frank48 Posts: 2,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cassie.. wrote: »
    German Xmas Charts

Run 14

Spirit 44

Mmm...surprised it's done so well there. Not every German loves her you know.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Dp2K1_k_Zg&feature=related
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,961
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    frank48 wrote: »
    Mmm...surprised it's done so well there. Not every German loves her you know.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Dp2K1_k_Zg&feature=related

LOL that was hilarious.
    Dead at Hitler caller all the people that bought Leona's first Album.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gelbma0991 wrote: »
    There won't be - it was made JUST for that length. I asked the guy at Sekonda who uploaded the video earlier this year and said there was no full version, they just asked for that mix with the end vocals... :(

Its a different version? I've seen it on TV twice now and gone "Oooo Leona!" each time and listened but I haven't noticed it not just being the studio version from Spirit? Does anyone know where I can see the advert version, looked on youtube, no results?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    huggzy wrote: »
    Its a different version? I've seen it on TV twice now and gone "Oooo Leona!" each time and listened but I haven't noticed it not just being the studio version from Spirit? Does anyone know where I can see the advert version, looked on youtube, no results?

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=leona+lewis+sekonda&aq=f

First result. ;)

It's much more stripped back than the studio version. Very minimal instrumentation and almost acapella.
This discussion has been closed.