Options

The Christmas Day Disaster Thread

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My mate phoned me an hour or so ago, moanign that I hadn't gone over for the day, largely because she's left the cooking to her 20 year old son and he had no idea how long a turkey took to cook.

ETA for Christmas lunch now about 8.30.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 164
    Forum Member
    My only disaster is that I've been bored shitless for most of the day.

Looking forward to my BBQ chicken and chips for dinner. :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've gained about 10 stone :D
  • Options
    asp746asp746 Posts: 7,286
    Forum Member
    6pm 23rd dec - put kids tea in oven, 6.20pm alarm went - and the food was still cold:eek: to cut a long story short it wasnt the turkey that was stuffed but the oven and as it's built in there was no way of forking out for one.

went to comet yesterday and bought a microwave/oven/grill for £125 and i've cooked the turkey crown & roasties in that. luckily the hob of the oven is still working so the veg was no probs.

roasties werent as good as the oven temp only goes up to 200 and cooking them on my old oven i used to do them at 250 and it made them nice and crispy.
  • Options
    Fibromite59Fibromite59 Posts: 22,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not a disaster for my cat, she ran in with a bag full of smoked salmon in her mouth..............but it must have been a disaster for however left it out and then found it had disappeared. :eek::

I can't return it as I have no idea where it came from.:confused:
  • Options
    myssmyss Posts: 16,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    molliepops wrote: »
    Came home late last night to find upstairs neighbours had allowed their bath to rust through and our bathroom was therefore like a waterfall scene.
    Plumber and electrician had to be called (thank you to them both I certainly wouldn't have been as happy as they were given the time of year and time of night). So we now have a busted light fitment and my lovely flat ceiling only flattened and painted a year ago is a horrible mottled brownish colour.

Not happy bunnies here as neighbour must have known the bath was rusty and could have had it replaced for free by the council long before this happened. And no apology from them at all !! :mad:
    I think you are rightly f*cked off, I would have been spewing abuse through their letterbox if I couldn't see them face-to-face today!
    mistereli wrote: »
    Well my dad abandoned us yesterday and hasn't been home for Christmas. Aside from that my day has been swell (no sarcasm.)
    Are you being serious?? :confused:
  • Options
    shortyknickersshortyknickers Posts: 2,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :mad: I put my smoked salmon out in the outdoor fridge and some gitbag's cat half inched it :mad:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 162
    Forum Member
    Heating's packed up and just come back from A+E with a games console related injury.Not as disasterous as some of the stories on here though,so I should feel lucky.
  • Options
    queenshaksqueenshaks Posts: 10,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :mad: I put my smoked salmon out in the outdoor fridge and some gitbag's cat half inched it :mad:

He he! :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Went over to my aunty's to give her presents with my dad on xmas eve, and we thought she wasn't in. Dad got a bit worried so started ringing around and trying to find her. Got some spare keys and went inside to find she had fallen over in the garden and broken her hip. Dragged herself threw the snow to get inside barely, but was too weak to do anything else when we arrived. Had to keep her warm and get an ambulance, she's had to spend Xmas day in hospital :-(

Dad tried to cook xmas dinner, but understandably he wasn't really with it. Turkey was overcooked over night to the point it was falling apart in its own fat. A lot of other food undercooked, and general chaos trying to get the dinner on the table. Poor dad was a wreck for a lot of it. Had my cousin come round for dinner due to his mum being in hospital, and my mother, being drunk, made a few stupid comments about my aunty not being able to look after herself when trying to make a point about saying she shouldn't get a dog. I had to very sternly get her off the subject, but she was oblivious to the upset she caused.

But apart from that, we had a great time playing Monopoly and cards after all was said and done. Now just chilling out on my tod!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My mum has the cold, I'm still getting over mine cold, my nan couldn't sleep for some reason last night and was a bit zombie-fied...we did still manage to enjoy ourselves and have a laugh, though. I think mainly because we just don't care what day it is and there are no children or extended family to worry about pleasing!

Even when we forgot to make the Yorkshire puddings, burned the potatos to a cinder and didn't like our Christmas pudding because it contained big nuts and big bits of fruit and we hadn't realised when we bought it, it just didn't bother us.

I am glad the day is nearly over, though. It's just come at such a terrible time this year due to illness and stuff. Will be nice to not have to stand on ceremony again for another year in just a few hours!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just turned around to see one of the goddamned cats licking our £30 ham!:mad: other than that, no problems.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just turned around to see one of the goddamned cats licking our £30 ham!:mad: other than that, no problems.

My cat ate two whole raw slabs of turkey once. We thought it was safe as we'd covered it up with clingfilm but the sod pierced it with her claws and helped herself. Thankfully it wasn't at Christmas...but they are little beasts sometimes!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lily Rose wrote: »
    My cat ate two whole raw slabs of turkey once. We thought it was safe as we'd covered it up with clingfilm but the sod pierced it with her claws and helped herself. Thankfully it wasn't at Christmas...but they are little beasts sometimes!

They can be little assholes, can't they? This is the same cat that once took a pork chop I'd left to cool out of the frying pan.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They can be little assholes, can't they? This is the same cat that once took a pork chop I'd left to cool out of the frying pan.

Mine also stole some of my tuna bake pasta once. I'd covered it with a tea towel so thought it would be okay, but she got it off and tucked in. She ran away when I screamed in shock upon walking in on her...the little... :D
  • Options
    d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not a big disaster but the kitchen light broke which resulted in me having to cook the tea by lamplight, hopefully B&Q will be open tomorrow, if not I'll be cooking by lamplight again:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Fibromite59Fibromite59 Posts: 22,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not this Christmas, but a few years ago, I came down on Christmas morning and found that the washing machine had broken down and flooded the kitchen with about 2" of water, the door to the room leading off the kitchen was open and the water had gone into part of that. Thank goodness it had just stopped short of my son's GCSE work which he had left all over the floor the night before!

My husband spent Christmas morning taking the washing machine out into the garden, sorting out the plumbing and mopping up the water.

On Boxing day morning, I came down to find the kitchen swimming in water again. I called up to hubby that everywhere was 2" deep in water again and he refused to believe it until he came down and saw it for himself. It's hard to believe, but the dish washer had broken and spewed out water everywhere. The horrible washing up, by now all greasy and damp had to be taken out of the dish washer and washed by hand and the machine was removed into the garden. And yes, we had to mop out the kitchen again. :cry:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,347
    Forum Member
    At 6pm my wife discovered a water seeping out at at tremendous rate in our lane/utility room/extension :mad: Burst pipe. Nothing valuable was damaged and we got someone out to fix it, but we have to clean the mess up tomorrow. If it had happened 24 hours earlier, it would have been disastrous as quite a few of our son's Christmas presents were in the area where the water was seeping. So it could have been a lot worse, and at least we got to eat our Christmas dinner before discovering it :p
  • Options
    PaparazzoPaparazzo Posts: 6,155
    Forum Member
    My mum & her boyfriend spent the whole day in the dining room playing Scrabble. :/
  • Options
    kate36kate36 Posts: 13,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cjsmummy wrote: »
    I have the worst flu ever, and my friends car flipped last night after hitting black ice....thankfully all ok. The car isn't so well though:eek:

omg thats terrible cjsmummy, hope youre better soon, glad your friends are ok:eek: what a frightening thing to happen, they must be very shaken:eek:
    glad theyre ok though:)
  • Options
    kate36kate36 Posts: 13,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    benenam wrote: »
    Went over to my aunty's to give her presents with my dad on xmas eve, and we thought she wasn't in. Dad got a bit worried so started ringing around and trying to find her. Got some spare keys and went inside to find she had fallen over in the garden and broken her hip. Dragged herself threw the snow to get inside barely, but was too weak to do anything else when we arrived. Had to keep her warm and get an ambulance, she's had to spend Xmas day in hospital :-(

Dad tried to cook xmas dinner, but understandably he wasn't really with it. Turkey was overcooked over night to the point it was falling apart in its own fat. A lot of other food undercooked, and general chaos trying to get the dinner on the table. Poor dad was a wreck for a lot of it. Had my cousin come round for dinner due to his mum being in hospital, and my mother, being drunk, made a few stupid comments about my aunty not being able to look after herself when trying to make a point about saying she shouldn't get a dog. I had to very sternly get her off the subject, but she was oblivious to the upset she caused.

But apart from that, we had a great time playing Monopoly and cards after all was said and done. Now just chilling out on my tod!

oh your poor aunt!!:(:( best wishes for a speedy recovery!:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Went out last night to meet friends in the local - all week hubby said we need to drink in moderation cos we needed to get up and cook xmas lunch - got home around 1am this morning. I drunk a pint of water after every other beer and shot and him being the big man claiming he could handle his beer, decided against it.

Guess which one of us was throwing up this morning and had a stinking hangover - not me.....

To make it worse, where we live we have no family and it's just me and him. I've basically spent xmas day alone and had a bacon sandwich for my xmas lunch because there was no way I was going to cook a full xmas dinner for one....
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Loving reading this thread!

I threw my cat outside for the day. He wasn't cold out there, he just goes into the summer house.
    We didn't have any major disasters.
    The only annoying thing for me is that my husband, who never cooks or even makes a cup of tea 364 days of the year, always likes to cook the Christmas dinner.
    So as not to hurt him I let him do it.
    He uses every pot pan, piece of cutlery, serving dish in the kitchen he can find then muggins here traditionally does all the washing up.
    The parsnips and roast potatoes were not crispy, the peas and sprouts were cold by the time he got them on the table.
    The gravy was too thick, the stuffing was not crisped up and the turkey slices were dry.
    We all sat there saying it was lovely with half the food left on our plates. :o bless him.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :D:D:D

Sorry but I would love to have seen that. Shame no one was on hand to film it.

Take it you didn't watch mr bean then
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 729
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Okay, this isn't a Christmas thing but I thought it deserved an honorary mention in the 'bastard cats' bit. I went down one morning, opened the fridge door and Wolfie, our ginger cat, was sitting beside the remains of a roast chicken. We couldn't understand how he'd managed it but a few evenings later caught him pawing at the door. It was like a scene from a cartoon, his paw was going so fast it was a blur you couldn't see. Thereafter, we wedged a heavy bin against the door - sorted.