Four in a Bed. New series!!

Comments

• jamtamarajamtamara Posts: 2,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lizaj wrote: »
    Does anyone mind if I post a comment about the programme?;) But before I do, I was "told off" for posting the "obvious" when I first joined the thread. I was a bit miffed but sucked it up. Just like any group of aquaintances, people tend to "talk" to those they know first and you wait and bide your time until people know you better.

Aha back to matter in hand. Just goes to show that playing the game is actually making sure that you come across as good hosts and that you are indeed good value for what you offer. Posh people came across as up for everything, determined to provide a classy establishment and although I would most likely need to win the lottery to stay there, I'd enjoy every minute. The winners look like they are great valuue for Blackpool (which can be very cheap with all the competition). Having stayed in "Gay Village" I can atest that the rooms I stayed in were small but beautifully appointed and the lady hosts didn't give a damn that my friend and I were heterosexual!:D I was at a conference but would sepnd a few nights there in a heart beat ( I can see the tower from where I live). I thought the couple at the Wizard's Thatch were totally charming but their place very over priced . I would imagine Andrea is propbably a perfectly nice woman who was edited at her worst and no way can an establishment too clean ever be a problem unless you ARE insisting people take shoes off etc ( which she wasn't). But the boys did NOT merit 2 out of 10 and she should have given a thought to how she was appearing and fell into a trap. She should have asked for a non-smoking room and not be seen wiping around at the bottom of toilet pedestal. It all goes to show that 2 couples knew exactly how to handle the FIAB experience and two managed to lose their rags and did themselves no favours.

I agree with all that and esp. the last BIB. It's easier said than done though. I expect the Salutation people are generally relaxed about standards being high as they have several/many? others to ensure that this is so. The charming Wizard's Thatch couple were equally laid back but then they never had to cook breakfast either! I should imagine the breakfast is really stressful when you are on a TV show being closely scrutinised. and surrounded by possible 'game players'.

Not a fair playing field but that makes it entertaining and it is a show for entertainment more than anything else. The meltdowns are very much a part of the entertainment as far as the crew are concerned. It was good for instance to see how the Salutation couple mixed in with everyone else.
    Someone mentioned pampas grass and Christine and Neil Hamilton earlier and I was going to reply but the thread moves so fast I missed out. ;):D

ETa Oh, just to add that I was only thinking yesterday what a lovely thread this is and how all-embracing. To me, it really is.
  • daisydeedaisydee Posts: 39,579
    Forum Member
    ewoodie wrote: »
    Tommo - I know we have our lovely chats in the past about theatre etc. but I have to agree with the posters who say it is very cliquey here.

I think you know that if you cross the 'line' so to speak you will be given the cold shoulder. I think there is a very small clique at work here, who decide if you are in or out. This thread is most certainly cliquey and there are no rules against it.

So all I would say is; do carry on as you wish but please be aware there is an exclusive club operating - as an other poster said this little clique fawn and gush when contestants post like they were in the presence of royalty and ignore other posters.

:eek: ewoodie!!!
    I can't believe I've just read that from you! You are a regular poster, and if their IS a clique (:confused:) you are part of it!
    There's a regular bunch of posters for sure, but I have never sensed any 'cliqueyness'. And as for 'fawning over contestans' - sorry never seen it, and although I don't post every day, I do read this forum every day. We love to hear from the contestants (and Donkey woman wasn't fawned over :p ) and hear what went on behind the scenes. I think it's great when they come onto this forum, there must be 100s to choose from, so it's great when they come on here and share their thoughts with us. It's 'pleasure' not 'fawning'.
  • SueGSueG Posts: 1,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lizaj wrote: »
    She should have asked for a non-smoking room

She said on the Four In A Bed Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/pages/Four-in-a-bed/165330430169457?filter=2 that she did, these are some quotes from a conversation on there:

Andrea said "Paul we did ask the director if we could change rooms and he said that there are only smoking rooms as it was a smoking hotel. I was asked if we wanted to leave and go else where for the night, but there was no way we were going to leave as we were having a lovely time with all the other contestants. We were up till 2 am having a good time."

Which got the reply "Ha !! So the director tried to persuade you to leave. Well done for not falling into that trap! Been done before and the couple got castigated. Not a good move at all. Seems like they really wanted that scenario again!"

Andrea then said "He certainly did, but there was no way we were going too... also afterwards, which you guys didnt see this, but when it was disgussed on the final day, James said why didnt we ask to be moved, and we said we asked the director if we could be moved and he said there were no other options as all none smoking, but james said he could have sorted something better!!!! Which was really disappointing and we should of asked James but we trusted the directors advice!!!!!! Like i have said we have learnt loads..... and will never watch the show again the same!"
    Forum Member
    Croctacus wrote: »
    Hello, just caught up on yesterday's episode.

Is it just me or did it seem to anyone else that the proposal was just made and timed to take the shine off the boys win?

I hadn't thought of that. I'm inclined to think that it was organised by the Production Team from the start though, they are always looking for an 'angle' :rolleyes: Didn't care for it myself, thought it made Andrea look desperate and her partner, reluctant. Whereas, probably neither was the case.
    Forum Member
    Tommo781 wrote: »
    That's it!

I always thought of this as a friendly thread where all opinions were welcome. But certain FMs have gone out of their way to change the nature of it, and it is considered clicquy. I am clearly considered one of those who kow-tow to former contestants, am utterly cringeworthy, embarrass myself, and reveal a number of issues by welcoming everyone.

So, to save anyone being embarrassed by my posts, I will withdraw from the thread, and only lurk in future.

:eek: NOOOOO!!!!
    Please don't anyone do that!
    Yes we all see things differently, but I am baffled by this 'cliqueyness' accusation. I read and post, agree & disagree :p But don't take anything personally. I am totally :confused: by this point suddenly being raised. So who's in the 'clique' then ? (am I in it? am I in it? :cry::p)
  • fizzle90fizzle90 Posts: 6,467
    Forum Member
    abivan wrote: »
    Haha! This thread is very cliquey, you were very lucky to get a response at all. Normally they respond to each other and ignore any comments from other members. It's a bit like the woman in the fast show sketch where she says something and the men all ignore her, then they say it and everyone responds. Apart from talking to each other they adore anyone who has been on the show and actually comes on here. If you want respect you need to suck up or open a bed and breakfast then get yourself on the telly.
    ewoodie wrote: »
    Tommo - I know we have our lovely chats in the past about theatre etc. but I have to agree with the posters who say it is very cliquey here.

I think you know that if you cross the 'line' so to speak you will be given the cold shoulder. I think there is a very small clique at work here, who decide if you are in or out. This thread is most certainly cliquey and there are no rules against it.

So all I would say is; do carry on as you wish but please be aware there is an exclusive club operating - as an other poster said this little clique fawn and gush when contestants post like they were in the presence of royalty and ignore other posters.

Finally, two posts I can agree with. I made the mistake of posting my opinion on the last 4IAB thread. The responses I got from this certain 'clique' and the way I was made to feel like my opinion was 'wrong' have put me off posting not just in this thread, but any other threads they seem to post in. I don't know if its done intentionally, but it certainly feels like if you 'step out of line' or annoy someone in this clique then you're not welcome to post. It's a shame.
  • phill363phill363 Posts: 24,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm an occasional poster in this thread and I've found it very accommodating with people responding to my posts, I don't think there is any cliques in here well none that I have noticed. Its also only normal that when contestants come on here to post that forum members will want to engage with them a bit more than a normal posters as they will have been talking about them and expressing opinions on them all week and they want to know what they think.
    Forum Member
    Sentenza wrote: »
    I still laugh about when the Harold Shipman looking bloke turned up in here suddenly he never looked like Harold Shipman :D

Oh how we changed our views on him by the end of the week! I wonder what he thought when he read our first impressions of him & his partner? :o But we changed our views and voted them 'favourite couple' when we got to know them better. :)
  • Uk LtdUk Ltd Posts: 1,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The facebook page makes good reading. Simon and Angela agreeing that they were all stitched up by the production team...
    Forum Member
    phill363 wrote: »
    I'm an occasional poster in this thread and I've found it very accommodating with people responding to my posts, I don't think there is any cliques in here well none that I have noticed. Its also only normal that when contestants come on here to post that forum members will want to engage with them a bit more than a normal posters as they will have been talking about them and expressing opinions on them all week and they want to know what they think.

Good post - my thoughts precisely.:)
  • Cestrian18Cestrian18 Posts: 6,857
    Forum Member
    WTF has happened in here, I'm gone 12 hpurs.and suddenly the thread dissolves :p I'd like to say that while clearly some people know each other better, its a friggin forum for people.to post their views, if you don't post you'll never be accepted! Anyway, moving back to FIAB, and I do think this was the producers week as the proposal and Andrea/James feud seemed very manipulated, I still think James is very unpleasant however, and it doesn't surprise me one bit he has a reputation in Blackpool
  • SueGSueG Posts: 1,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did anyone see my post saying that Andrea and Nick did ask to be moved to a non-smoking room? I'm sure it's very bad form to do this but, with all the arguing about whether there are cliques on here or not, I want to make sure that people see what happened about this http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=64012317&postcount=2003 because so many of us wondered why she complained, instead of asking to be moved, when it turns out that wasn't the case.
  • ewoodieewoodie Posts: 26,704
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    daisydee wrote: »
    I can't believe I've just read that from you! You are a regular poster, and if their IS a clique (:confused:) you are part of it!
    There's a regular bunch of posters for sure, but I have never sensed any 'cliqueyness'. And as for 'fawning over contestans' - sorry never seen it, and although I don't post every day, I do read this forum every day. We love to hear from the contestants (and Donkey woman wasn't fawned over :p ) and hear what went on behind the scenes. I think it's great when they come onto this forum, there must be 100s to choose from, so it's great when they come on here and share their thoughts with us. It's 'pleasure' not 'fawning'.

Darling - you got the BIB bit right! I'm a regular poster! There's a wee bit of fawning, genuflection and adoration etc. when contestants post here. Personally, I love to hear what they have to say but I don't join in the worship of them. I just can't stand the past participants who come here to be defensive and say poor us/me - it was the editing wot dun it!

As for 'cliqueyness,' it was raised by other posters yesterday. Not much notice was taken. Oddly, it was only some time much later, after I had posted that, certain feathers got ruffled and outrage ensued. But may I also point out that a fair few other posters have since posted similar thoughts?

All that said, I don't want anyone to leave the thread in a spur of them moment huff. We all do daft things in these situations. I have said forget it, come back, kiss and make up but I'm still waiting!

Back to FIAB - I think the Wizard's Thatch and The Salutation were the best places in terms of accommodation and the owners. I didn't think I would like the WT or the people but they were lovely. Andrea was just OTT and James was quite rightly annoyed with her score of 2 for cleanliness. He underestimated her though because she paid very fairly. Unlike him. I'm still glad his place won though. It was good value for money. I don't think the WT or TS owners were particularly bothered about winning. They all had a good attitiude - come across as nice, fair people and get some free publicity.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    EliG13 wrote: »
    Myself and my chef Luna have become a little addicted to this thread! I personally think that channel four should offer all of the FIAB participants this link so they can stop by for a spot of therapy afterwards! Or in some cases some general hints and tips on how to be slightly more likeable/ saner ;-)

In terms of putting different b&bs against eachother, I can see how it can be unfair at times, but I think the last two weeks has proven that it can work. We were obviously by far the most expensive last week and won, and then the two boys won this week and theirs was a budget b&b and both of us were in weeks with similar priced b&bs.

On a note in regards to Andrea, I have seen some of the comments she has written since the show and I have to take my hat off to her, she has reacted and responded to it very well. I think she is actually a really nice person, just a bit insecure and also the show can send you a bit loopy! I for one definately had my moments during filming, luckily they were a bit better timed!

Lastly, in regards to the DS gathering, we think it's a great idea and G! Boutique offers great group rates, especially to those that have said nice things about them on a public forum ;-)

Oh we are both very addicted to this now and I agree with Eli that a link should always be given to people on the show as it is great therapy! I was incredibly stressed by my teeny, weeny clip as it created such a big stir and this forum has given me the chance to explain my decision. Thankfully the people on here are educated and intelligent enough to have already looked outside the box as to my reasons but it's great to be able to share the actual reason.
    I was under lots of stress personally for the kitchen side but I didn't want to let Eli and Jason down but those 2 were under so much pressure.. The hotel was newly open so lots of stress came withy that, the initial testing problems so to chuck the Four In A Bed experience in there certainly pushed them both to the limits. They were being filmed all the time, til very late at night and up early so were tired, nerves on edge, travelling and also worrying about how their own hotel would come across. I know how close to tipping over the edge they were so can sympathise with other participants. Talking to the friendly people on here really does help and it certainly saved both mine and Eli's sanity..

We do think a FIAB trip would be amazing, we'd love to meet the people behind the keyboards and like Eli said, we offer great rates for great people 😀
  • MRSgotobedMRSgotobed Posts: 3,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SueG wrote: »
    Did anyone see my post saying that Andrea and Nick did ask to be moved to a non-smoking room? I'm sure it's very bad form to do this but, with all the arguing about whether there are cliques on here or not, I want to make sure that people see what happened about this http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=64012317&postcount=2003 because so many of us wondered why she complained, instead of asking to be moved, when it turns out that wasn't the case.

Yes Sue, if that is the case, that is quite significant, as it changes all kinds of opinions for me this week. Sometimes people are just what they are, no matter what edits or production team stuff has gone on,there's no hiding it, but I am always banging on about giving the owners a fair chance to put complaints right. Not great is it?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    luna1111 wrote: »
    Oh we are both very addicted to this now and I agree with Eli that a link should always be given to people on the show as it is great therapy! I was incredibly stressed by my teeny, weeny clip as it created such a big stir and this forum has given me the chance to explain my decision. Thankfully the people on here are educated and intelligent enough to have already looked outside the box as to my reasons but it's great to be able to share the actual reason.
    I was under lots of stress personally for the kitchen side but I didn't want to let Eli and Jason down but those 2 were under so much pressure.. The hotel was newly open so lots of stress came withy that, the initial testing problems so to chuck the Four In A Bed experience in there certainly pushed them both to the limits. They were being filmed all the time, til very late at night and up early so were tired, nerves on edge, travelling and also worrying about how their own hotel would come across. I know how close to tipping over the edge they were so can sympathise with other participants. Talking to the friendly people on here really does help and it certainly saved both mine and Eli's sanity..

We do think a FIAB trip would be amazing, we'd love to meet the people behind the keyboards and like Eli said, we offer great rates for great people 😀

Sounds brilliant, erm do you do thin pancakes? Sorry ;)
    Forum Member
    luna1111 wrote: »

We do think a FIAB trip would be amazing, we'd love to meet the people behind the keyboards and like Eli said, we offer great rates for great people ��

Thanks for getting back to us Luna :) Sorry you will probably have had to read through a few argumentative posts after your nice impression of us. :o I'm truly baffled by it. But we seem to have a few good points on here, as you were able to read that we sympathised with your pancake dilemma and understood. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for getting back to us Luna :) Sorry you will probably have had to read through a few argumentative posts after your nice impression of us. :oI'm truly baffled by it. But we seem to have a few good points on here, as you were able to read that we sympathised with your pancake dilemma and understood. :)

You and me both, truly confused daisydee.
  • Chihiro94Chihiro94 Posts: 2,667
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

This is completely off topic, but when did she post? I'm an occasional veiwer/lurker here, started at the beginning today and am assuming she's katy from the donkey place? If so I'd love to see her take on it all :p

For what it's worth, from the times I've lurked and I think posted a series or two back, everyone's always come across as nice, in fact it's probably one of the best threads on DS :)
    Forum Member
    MRSgotobed wrote: »
    [/B]

Sounds brilliant, erm do you do thin pancakes? Sorry ;)

:D
    Luna is making the batter as we speak - can you get there in 15 mins?? ;)

Personally, don't fancy pancakes for breakfast. My ideal breakfast would be fresh fruit, (extra points for mango!) but blueberries, pineapple, strawberries ad infinitum will do. (I have a fresh fruit 'salad' for breakfast every day, but hate preparing mango) followed by freshly picked mushrooms - you can get them from Mrs Tee ;) poached freshly laid egg, proper bacon that crisps, multi grain toast, spread with real butter! Unfortunately I seem to have a rather small stomach and soon get full :mad: but would try to eat up every scrap. I would appreciate a cup of percolated coffee - full bodied flavour. And that will see me through until afternoon tea where I would like a small pot of Lady Grey tea (loose leaf)
    Me picky? :D:D:D
  • CherrybomberCherrybomber Posts: 3,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shrike wrote: »
    I think most of us regulars have long ago tired of pointing out that fiab regularly compares apples to oranges..
    I'd say it is done with dreary regularity, but as people never seem to tire of repeating themselves I simply say nothing and move on. The point (repeatedly) being made is, in my view, silly and not understanding the actual competition and purpose of the show.
    I love Four in a bed but the one change I would like to see is that the contestants don't get told how much there room is meant to be, that way they truly pay how much they think it's worth.

In fact a far better idea. :)

Cat, please meet pigeons :D
    Forum Member
    Chihiro94 wrote: »
    This is completely off topic, but when did she post? I'm an occasional veiwer/lurker here, started at the beginning today and am assuming she's katy from the donkey place? If so I'd love to see her take on it all :p

For what it's worth, from the times I've lurked and I think posted a series or two back, everyone's always come across as nice, in fact it's probably one of the best threads on DS :)

No not off topic really, just on an older FIAB thread.
    Will try to do a search as i wouldn't mind another read. I do remember her trying to justify herself by claiming the 'edit' thingy, but I remember her as being pretty nasty and as has been said many times - the edit doesn't put words into your mouth. :rolleyes:

BiB: Can I be in your team? :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :D
    Luna is making the batter as we speak - can you get there in 15 mins?? ;)

Personally, don't fancy pancakes for breakfast. My ideal breakfast would be fresh fruit, (extra points for mango!) but blueberries, pineapple, strawberries ad infinitum will do. (I have a fresh fruit 'salad' for breakfast every day, but hate preparing mango) followed by freshly picked mushrooms - you can get them from Mrs Tee ;) poached freshly laid egg, proper bacon that crisps, multi grain toast, spread with real butter! Unfortunately I seem to have a rather small stomach and soon get full :mad: but would try to eat up every scrap. I would appreciate a cup of percolated coffee - full bodied flavour. And that will see me through until afternoon tea where I would like a small pot of Lady Grey tea (loose leaf)
    Me picky? :D:D:D

Not picky, but you've obviously got more class than me. I drink tea by the bucketful,(think Mrs Doyle from Father Ted,), especially at breakfast time, love fruit, if I'm not chopping and preparing, but can wolf down a Full English/Scottish no problem.

Btw, does anyone know if Katy from Happy Donkey Hill did post on here?I didn't follow this thread then.(Re;Chihiro94's post)

Well that was a strange week, not as straightforward maybes as other weeks for me, I haven't followed the FIAB FB page, so I must take a look. Now I don't know what I think, I really believe that if someone has a complaint they should allow the owners to deal with it,it's unfair, as there have been some people on FIAB who don't deal well with them and others who were more than happy to ensure a comfortable stay and remain approachable.
  • fliqueflique Posts: 1,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Confused by the clique thing too, maybe I just have a thick skin and don't take it to heart if I have made a point and no one answers. Thought this was a friendly place and felt happy to jump in as and when I feel like it and still will. There are some posters who have a rapport with one another and that is fine, wouldn't call it a clique and don't feel excluded at all, I enjoy reading the posts as much as watching the programme.

Hate it when it gets all huffy on a thread I enjoy, I remember it happening on CT thread and it was just as daft then. It is only a forum after all, if someone disagrees with you you don't have to change your point of view just agree to disagree, life is too short for pettiness.

I praised G hotel as I felt it deserved it and really felt for Luna over the pancake issue and having to justify herself, if that is fawning so be it, you have your opinion and I have mine which is fine.

Saw the link about Andrea, thanks Sue and it made interesting reading. Its great to have people put these links in and sometimes can change the way you have viewed something.

I would love to hear more from those is the hospitality trade so hope those that lurk will post.
  • CherrybomberCherrybomber Posts: 3,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    David1964 wrote: »
    Does anyone think it would make things more interesting if all four B+Bs in any one week were all of a similar price and quality?
    This weeks Blackpool offering at £40 may not have been up to the standard of last nights offering but competing against last nights 'Regal Home' at £205.00 is like comparing a Ford Fiesta to a Bentley Continental.
    The Fiesta may be a good buy for £1500, but if your in the market to buy a luxury motor a budget buy isn't going to cut the mustard:D

Maybe the diversity make the show though, I'm not sure:confused:
    its quite simple to do really, its about assessing what you think is good value for money and rating the experience. The contestants arent being asked to say which they want to holiday in but which represent best VFM.

Wizard's Thatch taking the underpayment well....which was fair enough....at £195 a night I would expect a cooked breakfast too!

The Wizards thatch has the most glorious TA reviews. I think they are top end prices but the setting is very roomy and unique. If its your sort of thing its a great example. And Alderley Edge isn't short of moneyed visitors.

Why such focus on a cooked breakfast? Most people commenting seem to think that unless you are being served a cooked breakfast then that's a let down. :confused: I'm happy to eat breakfast at my time in my room and if I have to toast my own Croque Monsieurs then thats fine by me.

Quality granola, creamy yogurt and fresh juice are an equally welcome and enjoyable breakfast.
    SolarSail wrote: »
    Evening

I was looking forward to tonight's programme, but am not really enjoying it :(
    I too found it a bit difficult to enjoy, it really was a week of two halves.
    MRSgotobed wrote: »
    Slurp...wine and cushions at the ready.

I knew I didn't like James.
    rhumble wrote: »
    I don't like the bald guy from the two blokes from Blackpool....is his name James?

I said earlier in the week that I didnt like James, but as I'm not in the clique, nobody acknowledged my clever observation :D

Andrea also a horrid woman so I couldnt take to either couple.
This discussion has been closed.