Options

Which Nu-Who Doctor is your favourite

Comments

• Options
    jedi mattjedi matt Posts: 1,298
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    saralund wrote: »
    I've enjoyed Matt immensely. He's absolutely 'The Doctor' - mad, childish, wise, sad. he's my second-favourite Doctor ever.

But David Tennant (two 'N's, please!) made Doctor Who into something that tugged the emotions and made it more than a children's Sci-Fi series. He's my favourite. If we were allowed to vote for combinations, it would be him with Donna.

Tom Baker was by far my favourite of the Doctors before nu-Who. He comes in third in my list now.

Please note as I stated in my first post the spelling mistake regarding Tennant's name was an auto correct mistake made by my iPad and not me. Also I do realise I put an e at the end of Eccleston's name which I didn't realise until it was too late.
  • Options
    So 3008So 3008 Posts: 2,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1. Eccleston
    2. Tennant
    3. Smith
  • Options
    Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    saralund wrote: »
    I've enjoyed Matt immensely. He's absolutely 'The Doctor' - mad, childish, wise, sad. he's my second-favourite Doctor ever.

But David Tennant (two 'N's, please!) made Doctor Who into something that tugged the emotions and made it more than a children's Sci-Fi series. He's my favourite. If we were allowed to vote for combinations, it would be him with Donna.

Tom Baker was by far my favourite of the Doctors before nu-Who. He comes in third in my list now.

I spelt David Tennant's name wrong in my post, to my eternal shame. :o I do know how to spell it, honestly. It really was a typo which I didn't notice until too late to edit.

I am so, so, sorry. I'll watch The End of Time as a penance. ;)
  • Options
    AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    My favourite of the three is Christopher Eccleston. On an unrelated note, he was the one I was introduced to but that in no way sways my opinion - Rose was my first companion, but I don't regard her as my favourite, as an example.

For me, Eccleston successfully encompassed a fully fleshed out Doctor. He brought the unrivalled blend of seriousness and comedy to the role... dark and mysterious, but at the same time a proper laugh and a genuinely friendly character. His Doctor was occasionally smug, but in a way that didn't belittle those around him - he had a massive respect for most of humanity but was bold enough to speak up when someone stood against him or those he cared for. His love for Rose was a convincing platonic relationship, which was the truest and most effective romance offered in the RTD era... its authenticity was in its subtlety. Eccleston's performance was understated but powerful. He spent his final episode fiddling with a bunch of wires and talking via visual links and holograms - and yet he still owned the piece. Compared to the Classic series Doctor's, Eccleston was rather unconventional, but that is where his power laid. He was updated for a modern audience, and the alien nature of The Doctor as a character was wholly dependent on the acting skills of Eccleston. Thankfully, even if his stint was a short one, he was always up to the job.

Matt Smith is my second favourite Doctor, and there is a lot to appreciate about him. In fact most of the negatives regarding him are more to do with the shortfalls of others - script writers for example. Never before have I seen such a convincing actor who can play an old man and a young man within the same character... sometimes Smith pulls off the lonely old man vibe, but at other times he is excelling at being an excitable young boy. He is diverse and energetic, and a little bit eccentric and he is constantly surprising you with different kinds of performance. His romance with River has been dealt with relatively well, though the unconventional nature of it does push the acting skills of Smith and Alex Kingston to their limit. I have also seen genuine improvement in Smith's performance since his start... he is now a believable Doctor through and through, whilst at first I had a few reservations. And funnily enough, I had had enough of Tennant as soon as Catherine Tate had gone - they had been a good pairing, but her absence showed up how much I didn't like him on his own. With Smith, I genuinely don't want to see him go yet as there is so much energy and fun in his performance.

David Tennant is without a doubt my least favourite of the Nu-Who Doctor's. That's not to say I didn't like his performance, but then I always found it the least enjoyable. Even when his and Piper's return was announced, I was immediately more excited about the prospect of seeing Rose again than the Tenth Doctor. It took me almost a whole series before I could warm to Tennant, and then I'd tired of him in his final year as well. I think the problem laid mostly with the fact that whilst the Eleventh Doctor shines brightly and brings his companions along for the ride, the Tenth Doctor was more of a bridge between the companion and the adventure... he himself was quite boring. His performance never lived up to anything with depth, and repeat viewings show off quite how uninteresting he was much of the time - much of that can arguably be put to the writing (he was far too arrogant, smug and self-important in the third series, and even in some of the fourth, then even more so as he met his end) but as an actor he was a bit too much Doctor-by-Numbers for me... everything was played by the book. He was a Doctor known for his looks (and even those were by the book, and very boring), and he struggled to play certain emotions very well, with 'gritted lower teeth' being the default response for many a situation. Midnight showed me how much I missed Catherine Tate from the show, but Turn Left made me realise that I loved all the other characters more than The Doctor. It hadn't been the case when Eccleston was there as he had gravitas and presence, but Tennant got lost in a sea of supporting characters that for me, outshone him.
  • Options
    DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    David Tennant for me. I thought he was a really good Doctor.

Christopher was too "blokey" for me; not alien enough. And he left just when he was growing on me. Matt is certainly alien enough, but has these fast speeches sometimes that I can't follow, and I haven't liked his stories as much. Perhaps my preference for David over Matt is more a reflection on my preference for RTD over Moffat as showrunner, but there you are.
  • Options
    GilaGoraGilaGora Posts: 1,191
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eccleston for me, best actor to inhabit the role so far. I do love Matt Smith though.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 414
    Forum Member
    While I do really like Matt Smith's Doctor and the 11th Doctor is one of my favorites, I like David Tennant and the 10th Doctor the most. Furthermore, the 10th Doctor had Donna as one of his companions and she was in my opinion the best of the new Who companions. Plus she and the Doctor had great chemistry together. The 11th Doctor had mediocre companions as far as I'm concerned.

Regarding Eccleston, I never really cared much for the 9th Doctor.
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    Series 5 Matt Smith.
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    I have also seen genuine improvement in Smith's performance since his start

You can't honestly be serious? His first series was undoubtedly his best, before he descended into nothing but over-used gimmicks and tics.
  • Options
    AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    You can't honestly be serious? His first series was undoubtedly his best, before he descended into nothing but over-used gimmicks and tics.

Compare the dramatic monologue in The Pandorica Opens to the one in The Rings of Akhaten. In the former, it sounds like a child confronting the various armies at Stonehenge, and isn't anywhere near as convincing as it wants to be. The latter offers a truly emotional encounter weakened only by the pacing of the episode that has to keep things moving briskly.

Compare his appearances with River in The Time of Angels and The Name of the Doctor. The former comes across as an awkward encounter between a son and a mother with some really weird flirting thrown in. The latter comes across as a genuine relationship (of an unconventional sort, all the same) that was so touching to most viewers that even the Doctor/Rose shippers stayed quiet :p

Compare the way he announces his name in Victory of the Daleks and The Hungry Earth to the way he does it in Series 6 and 7. When I heard him say "Trust me, I'm the Doctor" in the pre-Series 5 trailer I could not have been any less convinced. Now I don't even need to be told he's The Doctor :D

It does all come down to personal opinion at the end of it, but I am careful to distinguish between what makes a good actor and what makes a good script that an actor has to deliver. I'd admit that Series 7 has had too many self-references and isn't as sharp. There was a lot less wit in Series 7, and what wit there was seemed to all go on Clara.
  • Options
    CoalHillJanitorCoalHillJanitor Posts: 15,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Matt's been amazing. I'd say no-one could fill his boots, but I trust Moffat to find someone even more amazing.
  • Options
    MulettMulett Posts: 9,057
    Forum Member
    Tennant for me 100%. I absolutely loved his version of the Doctor and can see why he's the public's favourite Doctor too.

I liked Eccleston a lot as well, but I've never really warmed to Smith's 11th Doctor. Although to be fair I haven't really enjoyed the show - as a whole - since Moffat took over so I think that's more to do with the writing than Smith's performance.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All of them have been superb, and I'm not entirely sure if my favourite Doctor just happens to be the current one...but at the moment Matt wins without a doubt.
    His characterisation of the Doctor ranges from extreme childlike silliness to world weary seriousness. He's a youthful madman in a box but he's also a centuries old Time Lord who has lived through so much. He's capable of sad melancholic interactions like in The Big Bang and great speeches like in The Rings of Akhaten... and he's not infallible; "good men don't need rules. Today's not the day to find out why I have so many".

Tennant and Eccleston are about equal in my opinion.
    Eccleston portrayed a darker, battle scarred version of the Doctor haunted by what he had seen and done whereas Tennant had managed to put a lot of the Time War behind him and had a more manic and less serious personality whilst still being one of the more romantic and emotional incarnations of the Doctor.

At the end of the day, the Doctor is the Doctor. He's still the same enigmatic old man who whisked us off into adventures in time and space 50 years ago. All of them have been fantastic and I'm sure twelve will be too.
    Not really..... in the sense that the 2005+ series remains non canon with the original series,
  • Options
    Forum Member
    DariaM wrote: »
    Not really..... in the sense that the 2005+ series remains non canon with the original series,

Next you'll be saying K9 and Company isn't canon!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For gods sake when is Daria M going to stop saying that it's beginning to get on my nerves
  • Options
    Forum Member
    jedi matt wrote: »
    For gods sake when is Daria M going to stop saying that it's beginning to get on my nerves

I think the clue is in the question, jedi!
  • Options
    November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    I wonder how DariaM explains all the references to the classic series that we have been given since 2005.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I wonder how DariaM explains all the references to the classic series that we have been given since 2005.

You can't really ignore the likes of Sarah Jane Smith and K9, can you?
  • Options
    mccolloughmccollough Posts: 209
    Forum Member

They don't. They're a troll. Logic has no bearing on the tripe that they spew.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mulett wrote: »
    You can't really ignore the likes of Sarah Jane Smith and K9, can you?

And I must have been dreaming all those times that we have seen the faces of the Classic Doctors on NuWho, right?:D
  • Options
    tomwozheretomwozhere Posts: 1,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DariaM wrote: »

Just shut up, seriously. You always come out with this ridiculous crap and then never justify it or reply back when someone questions you. You're just a really awful troll.
  • Options
    Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think we have been lucky to have three such talented actors in the role in the post 2005 run. I like them all but would order them thus:

1. Smith
    2. Eccleston
    3. Tennant
  • Options
    WelshNigeWelshNige Posts: 4,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1. Tennant

2. Eccleston

3. Smith
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 42
    Forum Member
    Christopher Eccleston. Yes, Eccleston. Not Ecclestone.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tale1996 wrote: »
    Christopher Eccleston. Yes, Eccleston. Not Ecclestone.

I already stated in a post on the top of the last page that I realised I had done that but it was too late to edit it by then. I am so very sorry.