Options

ever wondered how certain creatures propagate?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,787
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Barnacles for instance?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 477
    Forum Member
    Hahahaha:

"Barnacles can radically change the size and shape of their penises to fight the waves and have sex.
    Here is the challenge for the tiny hard bodies: Barnacles want to mate but are permanently bound to whatever rock or hull they once latched onto. Given that, they have evolved the longest penises of any creature for their size — up to eight times their body length — to seek out and have sex with their neighbors. (Most barnacles are hermaphrodites that alternate between male and female sexes over time.)
    But large penises can be a problem, what with waves crashing down on the surfaces where these crustaceans often dwell. A too-long penis could flop around uselessly in such turbulence, drastically cutting down a barnacle's chances for procreation."

Now we know that size does matter!
  • Options
    somerset foxsomerset fox Posts: 728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Every time I tune into The Jeremy Kyle show and see an obnoxious, fat, ugly female who has a brood of ugly little ankle biters, demanding a DNA test off the feckless, drug dealing smack head of a boyfriend, I ask my self how the act of 'union' came about! Or rather I don't ask, as the thought would sear my brain and make me sick...
  • Options
    McMahauldMcMahauld Posts: 1,257
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Every time I tune into The Jeremy Kyle show and see an obnoxious, fat, ugly female who has a brood of ugly little ankle biters, demanding a DNA test off the feckless, drug dealing smack head of a boyfriend, I ask my self how the act of 'union' came about! Or rather I don't ask, as the thought would sear my brain and make me sick...

"So God created man in His own image; He created him in the image of God; He created them male and female."...

...comes to mind.
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    fender101 wrote: »
    Barnacles for instance?

No, not really. As long as they don't stick to the bottom of the boat you are using. That's where anti-fouling (a paint you apply to the bottom of a boat below or just above the water line) plays its part.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-fouling_paint
  • Options
    MintMint Posts: 2,192
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Giraffes
  • Options
    tanstaafltanstaafl Posts: 22,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Strange, no mention of hedgehogs yet.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    tanstaafl wrote: »
    I remember it being covered on QI.

The female lays it's quills flat so the male can hop on but the quills are very slippy and the male has to bite the neck of the female to hold on.

Possibly also something about a barbed penis
  • Options
    Forum Member
    tanstaafl wrote: »

I've yet to see hedgehogs stick to the bottom of a boat.

Anyway, they are dead cuddly and should breed a bit more. Maybe.

ETA. I'm a barnacle murderer with a paint scraper along the hull of a boat.
  • Options
    tanstaafltanstaafl Posts: 22,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    <Snip>

Possibly also something about a barbed penis
    But how does he get the barbed penis out? Wouldn't there be some sort of ratchet action. Penis goes forward and barb disengages. Hedgehog slips back a little and barb re-engages. So hedgehog can move forwards but not backwards. Result: hedgehogs rapidly become extinct.
  • Options
    nobodyherenobodyhere Posts: 1,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For a moment I thought we were discussing politicians
  • Options
    Forum Member
    nobodyhere wrote: »
    For a moment I thought we were discussing politicians

I know. We should really talk about how pond life reproduces.
  • Options
    spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    an unhealthy interest in animals doing it with other animals. ugh. cue rhythmic squelching sounds. bbc sound effect catalogue lp record no 1869. english wildlife ambient sexual activity ........
  • Options
    Forum Member
    spiney2 wrote: »
    an unhealthy interest in animals doing it with other animals. ugh. cue rhythmic squelching sounds. bbc sound effect catalogue lp record no 1869. english wildlife ambient sexual activity ........

We were talking about hedgehogs and your user name is spiney2. Have you got a secret to confess, oh prickly one.