cancelled single releases

Mark-AnthonyMark-Anthony Posts: 572
Forum Member
✭✭
I always find it really interesting when singles get canceled for various reasons or swapped for other songs. What singles do you know were cancelled and why or swapped for other releases and why?

Kelly Clarkson-Sober. it flopped in America so wasn't released

Kelly Clarkson-One Minute. Was initially the lead single for my December but kelly went for Never Again as she thought it showed a better departure.

Spice Girls-never give up on the good times. Was supposed to be released with viva forever but geri left and Viva was released stand alone

S Club 7-show me your colours. Was cancelled to release have you ever for children in need

Comments

• LMLM Posts: 63,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Beyonce's physical release of Green light was cancelled as the last minute. The digital release was doing well and so was the freemasons remix and it peaked at 12. I am sure it would of gone higher if it had been released physically.

Sugababes's song Freedom. They gave it out free instead.
  • Cal2008Cal2008 Posts: 2,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Geri Hallowell was releaseing feels like sex but it was changed to its raining men, she was also releasing circles around the moon but was cancelled.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cal2008 wrote: »
    Geri Hallowell was releaseing feels like sex but it was changed to its raining men, she was also releasing circles around the moon but was cancelled.

As well as Love Never Loved me. Geri said so herself about it being the second singles but it was changed to Desire and then it was talked about as a the third single of Passion.

Britney Spears Breath On Me and When Your Eyes Say It were planned singles but cancelled.
  • jargonjargon Posts: 558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Michael Jackson - 'Smile' b/w 'Is It Scary' from 1997 is a bizarre one. Virtually all but a few of the CDs/12"s were withdrawn and destroyed at the last minute before release. I had no idea it was going to be released at the time.
  • Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,759
    Forum Member
    Westlife - When You're Looking Like That
    Atomic Kitten - You Are

Both charted very low, 188 for Westlife and 90-something for Atomic Kitten but were cancelled in the UK despite being sent to radio and had music videos filmed
  • NeonopticNeonoptic Posts: 583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Spice Girls-never give up on the good times. Was supposed to be released with viva forever but geri left and Viva was released stand alone

An urban myth. Never Give Up was cancelled weeks before Geri's departure.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Westlife - When You're Looking Like That
    Atomic Kitten - You Are

Both charted very low, 188 for Westlife and 90-something for Atomic Kitten but were cancelled in the UK despite being sent to radio and had music videos filmed

I thought When You're Looking Like That was released as a B-side to Queen of My Heart? I had the CD single of QOMH and that song was on it :blush: Before anyone says anything, I was a Westlife fan from 1999-2004 and then I got fed up with them and their dull covers :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 122
    Forum Member
    Hot as ice by britney spears was meant to be released as a single of blackout she was rehearsing for the video before her breakdown
    Forum Member
    I thought When You're Looking Like That was released as a B-side to Queen of My Heart? I had the CD single of QOMH and that song was on it :blush: Before anyone says anything, I was a Westlife fan from 1999-2004 and then I got fed up with them and their dull covers :p

It did appear on QOMH but was originally planned to be released as the single before. It was originally on their second album, but was then due to be released as the first from their their third album, and charted from imports apparently

I too was a fan, up until the first greatest hits and then after that they truly turned into the cover band. Their first three albums, or at least the singles from them, I loved.

This is even more :blush:, I watched their first greatest hits tour today on Virgin OD, I can't get over just how bad Nicky is. He makes Louis Tomlinson sound good. I don't think Mark is that good live either, he has a very annoying voice lol.
  • LandslideBradLandslideBrad Posts: 5,085
    Forum Member
    Demi Lovato - Two Pieces (It was meant to be the lead single from Demi, thank god it wasn't because I usually skip the song tbh)

Lady Gaga - Venus (It was planned to be the second single from ARTPOP, thank god it wasn't x2 because it's for sure the weakest song on the album imo)
  • Luner13Luner13 Posts: 2,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder why Oasis never released Champagne Supernova in the UK but did in other territories.

Probably would have been their most epic UK #1
  • mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,916
    Forum Member
    Luner13 wrote: »
    I wonder why Oasis never released Champagne Supernova in the UK but did in other territories.

I had always assumed until quite recently that they had released it. I'm too young to remember them at their peak though. I know that there is a video for it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As well as Love Never Loved me. Geri said so herself about it being the second singles but it was changed to Desire and then it was talked about as a the third single of Passion.

Britney Spears Breath On Me and When Your Eyes Say It were planned singles but cancelled.

There is a rumour that When your eyes say it actually has a video to it.
    Forum Member
    Luner13 wrote: »

Genuinely didn't know until I read this it wasn't. I thought it was one of their biggest singles here
  • Mr_EyeMr_Eye Posts: 1,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That Alicia Keys and Beyonce song. A video was filmed but it was never released.
  • Luner13Luner13 Posts: 2,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Genuinely didn't know until I read this it wasn't. I thought it was one of their biggest singles here

Nope it never got released in the UK only Australia, New Zealand & France.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Champagne_Supernova
  • zeze88zeze88 Posts: 1,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It did appear on QOMH but was originally planned to be released as the single before. It was originally on their second album, but was then due to be released as the first from their their third album, and charted from imports apparently

I too was a fan, up until the first greatest hits and then after that they truly turned into the cover band. Their first three albums, or at least the singles from them, I loved.

This is even more :blush:, I watched their first greatest hits tour today on Virgin OD, I can't get over just how bad Nicky is. He makes Louis Tomlinson sound good. I don't think Mark is that good live either, he has a very annoying voice lol.

I don't think Nicky sounds worse than Louis - at least the management knew he wasn't the strongest one so he rarely got solo parts, I don't get why they keep giving lines to Louis.

And yes, I agree that Mark was not very good in the early days (especially their 1st tour, he was horrendous!) , but he actually got better and better after that first GH tour - maybe his voice stopped mutating at that time :D so people should definitely watch his more recent performances and then judge his voice, many say he is one of the best male vocalists of today.

Anyway, I think there are more examples with Westlife's cancelled singles. I think everything was set for the release of Total Eclipse Of the Heart as a 2nd single from The Love Album, but it was cancelled.

Same goes with the 2nd single from their last 3 albums - 2nd single from Where We Are was supposed to be Talk You Down which Simon cancelled, 2nd single from Gravity was supposed to be Beautiful Tonight but Simon cancelled it again at the last minute, while everything was set for the release of Mark's co-written midtempo song Beautiful World from the second GH album, but it was changed at the last minute because RCA was convinced that boring ballad from the mighty Gary Barlow Lighthouse would be a better choice :rolleyes: that choice bit them in the ass because the single became the lowest charting for Westlife at no. 34.
    Before anyone says anything, I was a Westlife fan from 1999-2004 and then I got fed up with them and their dull covers :p

I just knew you would say that, you say that EVERY time you mention Westlife :D It's ok, it is not like someone will attack you for liking them, there is no reason to be embarrassed by that :D
  • LMLM Posts: 63,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Britney was meant to release Outrageous as a single. But she broke her knee which left only half the music video filmed, caused her to cancel a whole leg of her current tour and obviously cancel this release. Breaking this Knee is why she has never danced as well as she used to.
  • BadKid95BadKid95 Posts: 7,137
    Forum Member
    Florence and The Machine were meant to release Hurricane Drunk but it was cancelled in favour of a Dog Days Are Over rerelease which annoyed me as the former is one of my favourite songs from Lungs
  • FanFromHollandFanFromHolland Posts: 5,987
    Forum Member
    Jennifer Lopez cancelled Good Hit as the lead single from LOVE? and went with On The Floor instead
  • MaksonMakson Posts: 30,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tameka - Bad 4 U

Has a video and everything but was pulled from iTunes after just 2 hours of being on sale.
  • ashtray88ashtray88 Posts: 1,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Leona Lewis was meant to release Fireflies, for which the opening is frequently played on BBC programs. But it was swapped for the mega flop Lovebird.
  • Master OzzyMaster Ozzy Posts: 18,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Beyonce's physical release of Green light was cancelled as the last minute. The digital release was doing well and so was the freemasons remix and it peaked at 12. I am sure it would of gone higher if it had been released physically.

I didn't know this. One of my favourite Beyonce songs and it's epic when she does it live during the Beyonce Experience tour.
  • Sweet7Sweet7 Posts: 599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Quite a few from Girls Aloud:

Some Kind of Miracle (cancelled for Jump - radio edit was made)
    Wicked Games (was going to be lead single from Chemistry instead of Biology but never appeared)
    What A Feeling (recorded as the lead single from the Greatest Hits but changed for Something Kinda Ooooh)

Others were rumoured such as Models, Love Is The Key and Girl Overboard but never properly confirmed.
  • glyn9799glyn9799 Posts: 7,391
    Forum Member
    Madonna - I Want You. This was meant to be the lead single from Something to Remember but I think legal issues prevented it. She released 'You'll See' instead.

Michael Jackson - Butterflies. I think this was meant to be the 3rd single from Invinicble. One one hand i'm glad it wasn't because I can't stand it, but unfortunately it meant that no 3rd single was released. What a waste of an album campaign!

Kylie - Your Disco Needs You. They played it safe and released Please Stay instead.
    Britney was meant to release Outrageous as a single. But she broke her knee which left only half the music video filmed, caused her to cancel a whole leg of her current tour and obviously cancel this release. Breaking this Knee is why she has never danced as well as she used to.

Haha. Personally I think it's more to do with the fact she's a bit of a lazy cow who clearly has absolutely no idea what the hell is going on anymore.