Chas And Dave's Christmas Knees Up (7.05pm Xmas Day Ch5)

Comments

• Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    IIRC there are about 5 of these Knees up programs, maybe they should dig one of the others out, probably depends who's on the bill with Chas n Dave and how much they want as a repeat fee.
  • cleo petracleo petra Posts: 984
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Proper Xmas Day sing along, cracking stuff!
  • PunksNotDeadPunksNotDead Posts: 21,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watching this now, seeing punters drinking from those giant pint glasses:o
  • Cissy FairfaxCissy Fairfax Posts: 11,801
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Someone clear up for me, as I've been watching this for twenty minutes and still can't make up my mind.

Is this absolutely brilliant or absolute shite?
  • pussyfootpussyfoot Posts: 740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Someone clear up for me, as I've been watching this for twenty minutes and still can't make up my mind.

Chas and Dave timeless brilliance.....anything else on there absolute dated shite!
  • Cissy FairfaxCissy Fairfax Posts: 11,801
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pussyfoot wrote: »
    Chas and Dave timeless brilliance.....anything else on there absolute dated shite!
    After I wrote that, they sang "Ain't no pleasin you" which is a great song.

Jimmy Cricket was abysmal though and you can't put that down to a different era.
  • Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pussyfoot wrote: »
    Eric Clapton 'dated shite'?? :o:o:o:o:o:o

I think you need to clarify your post....or get your hearing seen to!
  • Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,784
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    After I wrote that, they sang "Ain't no pleasin you" which is a great song.

Jimmy Cricket was abysmal though and you can't put that down to a different era.

I agree its a brilliant pop song. The driving violin sections really make it. This programme is already a time capsule and really makes me feel old :cry:

Jimmy Cricket has had a long lasting career-even to the extent of having his own ITV series. Still going, I think he has had some unfair stick at times.
  • pussyfootpussyfoot Posts: 740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bulletguy1 wrote: »
    Eric Clapton 'dated shite'?? :o:o:o:o:o:o

I think you need to clarify your post....or get your hearing seen to!

Didn't see the mighty Clapton part of the show.....reprimand duly acknowledged! :blush:
  • MaccaMacca Posts: 18,523
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not forgetting Albert Lee who is IMO a better guitar player than Eric Clapton.
  • hatpeghatpeg Posts: 3,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maccadanny wrote: »
    Not forgetting Albert Lee who is IMO a better guitar player than Eric Clapton.

I agree.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On again tonight Channel 5. 8.05pm, still listing Jim Davidson, but don't expect to see him.
  • kelvokelvo Posts: 3,435
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hatpeg wrote: »
    On again tonight Channel 5. 8.05pm, still listing Jim Davidson, but don't expect to see him.

It was on last night as well but no Jim Davidson. Anyone know why? It looks like the first part of the show has been cut. There was another name on the credits that I couldn't catch as well.

I enjoyed watching it though, especially if you notice the two blondes in white in the background and although I saw it last year never noticed the old girl in a pinny who ends up on the floor.
  • drainpipe57drainpipe57 Posts: 9
    Forum Member
    Get some full shows of entertainment on at xmas as too many repeats and clip show like the double acts programme Full shows of entertainment from the 70s a d 80s as theye are far better then say that ta ky Abba christmas party show on itv xmas eve
    Forum Member
    kelvo wrote: »
    It was on last night as well but no Jim Davidson. Anyone know why? It looks like the first part of the show has been cut. There was another name on the credits that I couldn't catch as well.

I enjoyed watching it though, especially if you notice the two blondes in white in the background and although I saw it last year never noticed the old girl in a pinny who ends up on the floor.

I won't be watching it again, but I remember thinking it had been badly chopped about last year.
    As I said last year there are 5 of these in the vaults, I can only guess it's down the guests why they're not airing them, Chas and Dave probably don't want mega money if anything for it, if they're back on the road it's good promotion for them.

As for Jim Davidson who gives a $hit why he's not in it, apart from him.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't care if Jim Davidson is in it or not, but it annoys me every year they list him.
    If they want to cut him out OK, but don't list him!
  • pete137pete137 Posts: 18,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Timeless entertainment. A great show.
  • Mitu_PappiMitu_Pappi Posts: 1,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think the latter but no one dare say it.;-)

I think their jokes and singing is second rate.
  • SambdaSambda Posts: 6,207
    Forum Member
    kelvo wrote: »

I wonder if the patrons of the "pub" (i.e. the audience) were members of the public or paid actors? It all seemed as if the audience were trying a bit too hard...
  • Ess_BeeEss_Bee Posts: 7,716
    Forum Member
    As for Jim Davidson who gives a $hit why he's not in it, apart from him.

LOL :D:D You have such a way with words!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sambda wrote: »
    I wonder if the patrons of the "pub" (i.e. the audience) were members of the public or paid actors? It all seemed as if the audience were trying a bit too hard...

They were all friends and family of Chas and Dave.
    Forum Member
    They were all friends and family of Chas and Dave.

Fuelled up on free booze, going from my comments last year the crowd noticeably warms up at some point.

People lose their $hit at gigs for bands they don't know, what's so suspect about a load of people dancing about in a pub.
    Even I've been known to dance about in Pubs when the atmosphere succeeds in making me a bit giddy.
    Drop a tray and some people will start dancing FGS, we've all seen a few of that sort about.
  • dave_windowsdave_windows Posts: 5,937
    Forum Member
    With Jim Davidson and Eric Clapton.

Could be fun.

I presume this is the same one this year as last year?

Why not just air a different year?
    Forum Member
    I don't care if Jim Davidson is in it or not, but it annoys me every year they list him.
    If they want to cut him out OK, but don't list him!

It's not just the Chalky Whitely gags, he sung "White Christmas" too. We are the poorer for this omission. Ahem.
    Forum Member
    I presume this is the same one this year as last year?

Why not just air a different year?

This was the only Xmas one, AFAIK. The others were a mid-year series of 6 (21/5/83-2/7/83):

CHAS AND DAVE with JEFF STEVENSON ERIC BURDON LINDA LEWIS

CHAS AND DAVE present another knees up at their local with: singer LULU Comedians BOBBY KNUTT and ROY JAY ROCKY SHARPE AND THE REPLAYS

Among the regulars at CHAS AND DAVE's local tonight are singer MIKE BERRY, vocal group THE FLYING PICKETS and comedian DAVE ISMAY. Featuring a young JONATHAN ROSS in the audience

Helping CHAS AND DAVE to entertain the regulars at their local tonight are comedian PAUL SHANE, CAPTAIN SENSIBLE and singer BERNI FLINT.

CHAS AND DAVE with: ROSE MARIE JIMMY JONES

CHAS AND DAVE are joined for the last of the series by the legendary LONNIE DONEGAN, DIZ AND THE DOORMEN, and impressionist GARY WILMOT.

Here is Chas Hodges in Head, Hands and Feet on OGWT, for those who don't know of his prog-rock former persona: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aIft448lBA There is also a Beatclub session of same on Youtube, too. This is where the ostensibly bizarre connections with the likes of Eric Burdon and Eric Clapton came from in the knees ups.