Madonna - Rebel Heart

Comments

• Living4LoveLiving4Love Posts: 1,989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The album is 60% ballads/slower in pace songs anyway. Are we to say she is suddenly copying Adele! lol There is 3 songs at most which could be seen as house on RH and the Avicii sound is pretty much non existent as she reworked all his tracks from the demos that leaked. The only song that sounds like Avicii is Devil Pray but that sound is pretty much Madonna and several of these songs wouldn't have been out of place on Music or American Life for that very reason.

The lengths people go to just to slag off Madonna do make me laugh. She has just delivered her best album in 10 years out of a 35 year career. Just be happy she is still around, Madonna is the only one of her generation who is still relevant even if her successes aren't what they used to be and I'm going to put the next part in mood so it sinks in..

Madonna has just scored her 20th top 10 album and her 19th top 5 album. Who else has done that?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry I just realised I wrote mood instead of bold wtf! I suppose it is 5am lol :D
  • gdrx78gdrx78 Posts: 300
    Forum Member
    Gigi4 wrote: »

I have mixed feelings about Ghosttown. I love it and think it's a great song, but at the same time I hate that people want her to do just that kind of mature ballad music and not do the more fun dancey things as well.

And William Orbit was very much established before he did Ray of Light, so all this stuff about underground producers/dj's is just not factual. So was Stuart Price who did Confessions. She works with who she feels comfortable with and has chemistry with, not necessarily who is unknown and underground.

Orbit was mainly known as a remixer from about the late 80s onwards, well renowned but mainly one or two mixes per artist at most-and yeah-he had produced stuff, but nothing on a such a large scale-Madonna was the first to capitalise on his producing skills on a 'large scale' project.

Also Madonna was really one of the first to use Stuart Price as a producer rather than as a remixer. It was the success of Confessions that led to him becoming the 'Producer of Choice'

I'm honestly not slagging her off, so there's no need to get defensive on her behalf. I think much of her stuff has been groundbreaking-but it has felt that its been the dog wagging the tail on her last few Albums. Hard Candy is the album i've found most difficult of hers to warm to-and when i first heard it, was shocked at how 'identikit' it sounded to all Timbaland stuff. Literally nothing on it-from the bloody awful cover to the generic bland production reminded me of her innovation.

I'm more disposed to MDNA than some on here-but it still felt very generic at places.

Rebel Heart is deffo a step in the right direction, there is a better display of songwriting than I anticipated.

And I do agree with you-I would hate for her to become all 'Power Ballad'. I remember how much I hated Rain when it came out-because it felt like too much of a reaction to try to 'fit in' to other artists like Celine Mariah and Whitney-and just didn't feel like Madonna.... if that makes sense.

I think if she's perhaps worked with the producers on Rebel Heart, and then had an overall producer to give it some more cohesion I wouldn't feel like it was such a 'trend chaser' Minor tweaks could have made a good album great.

I think a 'found sound' approach would be a good one for her to explore-not samples, or drum loops-but actually utilising rhythmic and melodic sounds from non musical sources. She's been every bit as inventive as Bjork in her own ways-but has always had the skill to hang that inventiveness on a pop tune and get that vibe to a larger audience, rather than create an aural artwork that is perhaps more difficult to mainstream.

Her age means absolutely bugger all to most folk really-its the trend chasing that is causing folk to become mocking. If she came back with something as genuinely inventive as Ray of Light was, folk would be genuinely astounded by it.

Forget the big studios and on trend producers-write on the road and record on the fly Madonna-I for one would be very intrigued by what she could come up with!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For what it's worth my boyfriend - who is not a massive Madonna fan - thinks Rebel Heart is a great album. He was I admit surprised, along the lines of "wow, didn't think she still had it in her", but I have come home a couple of times this week and found him playing it.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,477
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Veni Vidi Vici officially a new fav
    I love Nas's rap, and the throwback and lines of her past career
  • Ellie_ArbuckleEllie_Arbuckle Posts: 548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rebel Heart made it to number 2 on Itunes last night. Its a shame these sales came too late but I doubt she could have caught up to Sam's 12k lead anyway.

This could actually be a blessing. If the album stays steady all week and then gets a boost when Ghosttown is released it might end up selling more than MDNA did. Which might sound unthinkable right now but I think that is what we are looking at. I think the fact the album has also been marked down in price is going to help it stay in the top 30 for a few months just selling consistently.

Its a good point about this being Madonna's 19th top 5 album and her being the only female solo artist to achieve that. Only Elvis is above her so its not bad going. She set a record yesterday which wasn't the one we wanted but its good enough all the same.
  • gregrichardsgregrichards Posts: 4,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone managed to get tickets for the tour? This morning I managed to get an accessible ticket as I am disabled after being on hold for an hour.

Is there usually a break in Madonna's concerts or does she play non stop? I have never been to one of her concerts before.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone managed to get tickets for the tour? This morning I managed to get an accessible ticket as I am disabled after being on hold for an hour.

Is there usually a break in Madonna's concerts or does she play non stop? I have never been to one of her concerts before.

Not usually a break no but she always gives her dancers time to shine on their own for a whole segment usually around half way through. I suppose that could class as a break.
  • abbieuniqueabbieunique Posts: 4,226
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not usually a break no but she always gives her dancers time to shine on their own for a whole segment usually around half way through. I suppose that could class as a break.

So is it true Madonna will most likely be a couple of hours late on stage?
    Just got tickets and last train is around 11 ish, so I'm guessing Ill have to get a hotel ha
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just got tickets and last train is around 11 ish, so I'm guessing Ill have to get a hotel ha

Yes sadly. She never starts on time so a hotel is essential!

Although saying that. The only reason she started MDNA late was because she wanted it to be dark so people got the full experience of the staging. This tour is in Arena's so she won't have that trouble plus its in winter so dark nights.
  • glyn9799glyn9799 Posts: 7,391
    Forum Member
    Veni Vidi Vici officially a new fav
    I love Nas's rap, and the throwback and lines of her past career

Did you get the 'Holiday' sample with the horns. I missed that until it was pointed out to me. Very well produced song!
  • Feline77Feline77 Posts: 753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Got tickets for Manchester! :-)
  • LMLM Posts: 63,477
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    glyn9799 wrote: »
    Did you get the 'Holiday' sample with the horns. I missed that until it was pointed out to me. Very well produced song!

No i didn't
    Thanks for the heads up
  • dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The curfew for the arenas will be 11pm, so anything later than that will result in a fine for her...personally I would always over night, hopefully you should be able to get a cheap Premier Inn or Travelodge booking this far in advance.
  • icanboogieicanboogie Posts: 770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dearmrman wrote: »
    The curfew for the arenas will be 11pm, so anything later than that will result in a fine for her...personally I would always over night, hopefully you should be able to get a cheap Premier Inn or Travelodge booking this far in advance.

I have booked to see her in Manchester, I thought hotel rooms would be cheap but they are surprisingly not but not sure if it's because it is so close to Christmas.

Once again I have got to say how much I love this album.

'Make it wetter, make it wetter...don't it taste like Holy Water'
  • James_Barker1James_Barker1 Posts: 324
    Forum Member
    only in the minds of deluded Madonna fans can the social revolution around sexuality of the last 30 years be attributed in any way to their diva. Quite an insult to the millions of gay people who made it all possible themselves by coming out to their families, friends and workmates. Still it's gratifying to know she made our struggle so much easier by pretending to be a lesbian for a few weeks in 1991.

I believe she played her part, particularly in alternative sexualities being able to express themselves in pop music and being able to become mainstream. And I think her large gay fan base does show that for some gay people, including myself, she has been an inspiration. What this does for society more widely, is more of a question over how much relevance pop music has to real live.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Madonna extended her lead as the biggest selling female artist of the 21st century in UK yesterday. It seems as well as Rebel Heart making its debut, Ray Of Light, Celebration and The Immaculate Collection have all received sales boosts. I still can't believe how close The Immaculate Collection is to 4 million UK sales! I wonder how long it will be until she eventually hits it?!
  • MissAyrshireMissAyrshire Posts: 3,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Got tickets for Glasgow :)
  • dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    icanboogie wrote: »
    I have booked to see her in Manchester, I thought hotel rooms would be cheap but they are surprisingly not but not sure if it's because it is so close to Christmas.

Once again I have got to say how much I love this album.

'Make it wetter, make it wetter...don't it taste like Holy Water'

Travelodge Upper Brook Street is £29.00 or Salford Quays is £25.00, neither are that far out from the city centre.
  • gregrichardsgregrichards Posts: 4,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Thanks for the reply Living4Love. I hope everyone who managed to get tickets has a great time. I am looking forward to it I have never seen Madonna on stage before.
  • simmersimmer Posts: 953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm liking it. The first part of the album is great but it seems to dip as the album progresses. It will probably grow on me the more I listen to it though.
  • simmersimmer Posts: 953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does anyone know which tracks were produced by Natalia Kills? I know one was Holy Water which made it onto the album but what were the other ones?
  • AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is quite a nice little consolation for those disappointed at Madonna being number 2. Take a look at this:

If people wanna compare, let's look at:

#2 Rebel Heart - Madonna (56 y.o. and more than 30 yrs career)
    #2 Kiss me once - Kylie
    #2 Beyoncé - Beyoncé
    #2 The truth about Love - Pink
    #2 Blue Smoke - Dolly Parton (aged 69 and more than 50 years career)
    #2 Partners - Barbra Streisand (aged 69 and more than 45 years career)
    #3 Love Me Back to Life - Celine Dion
    #9 Nostalgia - Annie Lennox (Aged 60 and more than 30 years career)
    #10 Cheek to Cheek - Lady Gaga
    #14 Me. I am Mariah - Mariah Carey
    #28 Lotus - Christina Aguilera
    #34 Britney Jean - Britney Spears
    #41 A.K.A - Jennifer Lopez

That number 2 club is great isn't it!?
  • FanntastikFanntastik Posts: 12,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wizzywick wrote: »
    This is quite a nice little consolation for those disappointed at Madonna being number 2. Take a look at this:

#2 Kiss me once - Kylie
    #2 Beyoncé - Beyoncé
    #2 Dolly Parton - Blue Smoke (aged 69)
    #2 Barbra Streisand - Partners (aged 69)
    #3 Celine Dion - Love Me Back to Life
    #9 Annie Lennox - Nostalgia

I wonder what their sales are.
  • James_Barker1James_Barker1 Posts: 324
    Forum Member
    wizzywick wrote: »

#2 Kiss me once - Kylie
    #2 Beyoncé - Beyoncé
    #2 Dolly Parton - Blue Smoke (aged 69)
    #2 Barbra Streisand - Partners (aged 69)
    #3 Celine Dion - Love Me Back to Life
    #9 Annie Lennox - Nostalgia

I'd also throw in
    # 6 It's The Girls -Bette Midler.

I was thinking about this the other day and with some of the older artists, particularly Dolly Parton and Bette Midler they didn't have an extended period of promotion, but the quality of their exposure was what managed to get them to achieve their most successful album in the UK. Dolly had Glastonbury, and there were a couple of documentaries alongside that, but really it was 1 hour that got the British public eating out of her hand, lip-synching and all.

SImilarly Bette Midler had a spot on royal variety, the One Show, played her Vegas show, she had her 'An Audience with Bette Midler' and she filmed a new documentary about her career and life, where she struggled to find where one of the places was.

I think what really is key for Bette, Dolly and Madonna is that their personality and charisma is really magnetic and that is all the promotion that is needed.