Options

Sky TV prices will rise on 1st June

Comments

• Options
    pjexpjex Posts: 9,408
    Forum Member
    ickabod wrote: »
    No, I did see a quote direct from Sky somewhere saying no September price rise, as much as I love watching Sky's excellent football coverage I think these rises are a step too far, maybe been better to let BT take some of the coverage if it kept costs down

No but they will probably move to a model of price rises every 9 months rather than 12 so they can squeeze more out of subscribers to cover the football rights, so expect the next price rises to come in from 1st March.
  • Options
    rjmachinrjmachin Posts: 2,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Down you mean?

Sorry, I mean't to say that my current bill is £111.15 per month, and is going up to £114.65 per month in June following the £3.50 price rise I am due to receive.

Reducing the services mentioned would cut that down to £97.40
  • Options
    ocavocav Posts: 2,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just got off the phone with a representative regarding price increase, I asked him to justify the increase as a subscriber who doesn't watch Football. The justification was "we are adding a few new channels in the next few months" and of course he couldn't name anything, so I said ill call back in June if there isn't any new channels.

Apparently these new channels will be announced in the coming days/weeks (however the only planned one is Spike, which can't be used seen as its FTA)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    charger21 wrote: »
    Will the usual September rise still be happening BTW?

They cannot do it, your contract stipulates 1 increase per calendar year, which means they could up the prices in January, but then wouldn't be able to do it again until 2017.
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,531
    Forum Member
    pjex wrote: »
    No but they will probably move to a model of price rises every 9 months rather than 12 so they can squeeze more out of subscribers to cover the football rights, so expect the next price rises to come in from 1st March.
    I agree, a series of 9 monthly price rises now seems likely. This means that to discover the true annual percentage price rise, you have to add 35% to whatever numbers they announce e.g. a 7.5% price rise is 10.1% pa and a 10% price rise is really 13.5% pa.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    I doubt they will move to a rise every 9 months, that would be ridiculous. I think they are just changing it to June because the Sky year runs from July to July, so it makes sense for the annual price rise to be at the same time
  • Options
    hallstarhallstar Posts: 925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have been a subscriber since August 91 except for a week when I moved house and took the opportunity to change the account from my Mums name to mine but think this price rise is the point where I decide it is too far. Going to get a freeview box and sky now which is an app on my TV as well as netflix think I will be OK.

I do have one question though, I only subscribe to Sports for the NFL, but I can by with the NFL's own service, maybe just paying for a day pass for when my team is on sky and blacked out on line, but what hours are they is it midnight to midnight or 24 hours from when I buy it since they could run past midnight?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    d'@ve wrote: »
    I agree, a series of 9 monthly price rises now seems likely. This means that to discover the true annual percentage price rise, you have to add 35% to whatever numbers they announce e.g. a 7.5% price rise is 10.1% pa and a 10% price rise is really 13.5% pa.

They can't do it every 9 months... Contracts only allow them to do it once every calendar year, the earliest they could now change prices is January, but then they'd have to wait 12 months before they could do it again
  • Options
    rjmachinrjmachin Posts: 2,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hallstar wrote: »
    I have been a subscriber since August 91 except for a week when I moved house and took the opportunity to change the account from my Mums name to mine but think this price rise is the point where I decide it is too far. Going to get a freeview box and sky now which is an app on my TV as well as netflix think I will be OK.

I do have one question though, I only subscribe to Sports for the NFL, but I can by with the NFL's own service, maybe just paying for a day pass for when my team is on sky and blacked out on line, but what hours are they is it midnight to midnight or 24 hours from when I buy it since they could run past midnight?

From my understanding, based on the information from the website, it is 24 hours from when you buy it
  • Options
    gs1gs1 Posts: 8,392
    Forum Member
    Jack Bauer wrote: »
    I doubt they will move to a rise every 9 months, that would be ridiculous. I think they are just changing it to June because the Sky year runs from July to July, so it makes sense for the annual price rise to be at the same time
    Sky's year end is 30th June, so a price increase on 1st June doesn't align; although, I suspect that Sky will hope that an early price increase will allay some concerns amongst shareholders etc. about their Premier League investment.

In my view, their intention of bringing the date of tv price increases forward to 1st June this year, is to generate a "one-off windfall"/ uplifting in prices. I expect that they'll then increase prices again on 1st June next year.

The "bottom" line is that they're raising prices on 1st June, because they want to extract more money from customers!
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,531
    Forum Member
    ocav wrote: »
    They can't do it every 9 months... Contracts only allow them to do it once every calendar year, the earliest they could now change prices is January, but then they'd have to wait 12 months before they could do it again

Of course they can, if they want!

1 September 2014 (the usual 12 months
    1 June 2015 (9 months - confirmed)
    1 March 2016 (9 months - possible)
    1 January 2017 (10 months - possible)
    1 January 2018 (back to 12 months).

Quite a nice windfall for them if they do this even twice... but they can legitimately do it three times (bar one month). I think they would be making a mistake if they do this again but if it works and their churn stays under control, they may try it again next year, or the year after when most people have forgotten about this year.
  • Options
    coopermanyorkscoopermanyorks Posts: 21,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jack Bauer wrote: »
    I doubt they will move to a rise every 9 months, ..........................

I think they will , it also ties in with an email offer received from Sky by myself

To say thanks for being a Sky customer, we're offering you 25% off your Sky TV subscription for the next 9 months when you sign up for another 12 months.
  • Options
    StykerStyker Posts: 49,881
    Forum Member
    I re subscribed last July, got installed in August and have been paying what was a special offer of around £46.50 a month to start off with for all the main packages and then with 1 price increase and paying a £1 extra a month for the HD channels, I am currently paying £50.50 a month. How much if any are my prices likely to go up? I haven't had any notification that they will so far but in any case I might cancel my subscription altogether at the end of the 12 months as I want to clear some debts and clearing luxury add ons like this for a year or so could help but I'll weigh up the figures before doing do.
  • Options
    Jaycee DoveJaycee Dove Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Styker wrote: »
    I re subscribed last July, got installed in August and have been paying what was a special offer of around £46.50 a month to start off with for all the main packages and then with 1 price increase and paying a £1 extra a month for the HD channels, I am currently paying £50.50 a month. How much if any are my prices likely to go up? I haven't had any notification that they will so far but in any case I might cancel my subscription altogether at the end of the 12 months as I want to clear some debts and clearing luxury add ons like this for a year or so could help but I'll weigh up the figures before doing do.

We are on a a similar offer - £46.87 pm - representing 12 months at half price from 10 June. This covers all the channels + movies + sport + HD + multiroom on a second box.

We expected this to rise to £82.50 pm from our June payment. But have received a letter today advising (as we had already worked out from checking on My Sky) that it will rise instead to £87 pm instead. So a £4.50 pm rise - which is the maximum you can have, I think, if you have everything.

Not decided what to do yet but are likely to drop movies from June as these are the most dispensable to us. And can always be bought individually.

It would be the first time in 26 years with Sky we have downgraded but prices are starting to get excessive and it is especially frustrating knowing WHY they are going up and not the guff in the Sky letter. In effect we are paying for new sports cars for super rich footballers and tha

My guess is a lot of viewers will be downgrading this Summer as a result of these excessive rises.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Styker wrote: »

We are on a a similar offer - £46.87 pm - representing 12 months at half price from last June. This covers all the channels + movies + sport + HD + multiroom on a second box.

We expected this to rise to £82.50 pm from our June payment. But have received a letter today advising (as we had already worked out from checking on My Sky) that it will rise instead to £87 pm instead. So a £4.50 pm rise - which is the maximum you can have, I think, if you have everything.

Not decided what to do yet but are likely to drop movies from June as these are the most dispensable to us. And can always be bought individually.

It would be the first time in 26 years with Sky we have downgraded but prices are starting to get excessive and it is especially frustrating knowing WHY they are going up and not the guff in the Sky letter. In effect we are paying for new sports cars for super rich footballers and that is hard to justify on our personal budget.

My guess is a lot of viewers will be downgrading this Summer as a result of these excessive rises. I know why Sky felt they had to overpay after losing the Champions League rights but we can only pay what we feel we can afford to pay.
  • Options
    StykerStyker Posts: 49,881
    Forum Member
    We are on a a similar offer - £46.87 pm - representing 12 months at half price from last June. This covers all the channels + movies + sport + HD + multiroom on a second box.

It would be the first time in 26 years with Sky we have downgraded but prices are starting to get excessive and it is especially frustrating knowing WHY they are going up and not the guff in the Sky letter. In effect we are paying for new sports cars for super rich footballers and that is hard to justify on our personal budget.

My guess is a lot of viewers will be downgrading this Summer as a result of these excessive rises. I know why Sky felt they had to overpay after losing the Champions League rights but we can only pay what we feel we can afford to pay.

If the full packages cost £87 then I will almost certainly downgrade too and look at maybe going back to using Love Film to see the latest movies. I already subscribe to Netflix and Amazon prime as well and the latter will probably go but I might go for Love Film again as there is a chance I will be sent more recent films that way. I don't have much time to watch the sports anyway.

What about being able to buy films/sports from Sky Box Office if I downgrade to the normal package? Is that possible anyone or do people have to be subscribed to sports/movies to be able to buy things from sky box office?
  • Options
    StigidStigid Posts: 2,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There was a Mum on local TV complaining she didn't get enough benefits for her low wages, to live off......

She listed her outgoings, and there was SKY TV....... at £60 per month !!
  • Options
    Dave-HDave-H Posts: 9,940
    Forum Member
    People like her are a gift to the Tories and other right wingers unfortunately.
    I'm sure Sky are delighted that some people presumably now think of them as being an essential, not a luxury!
    :)
  • Options
    pavierpavier Posts: 839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just like the BBC is delighted that many here think the BBC is an essential service that justifies the compulsory license fee.
  • Options
    HertzHertz Posts: 3,213
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pavier wrote: »
    Just like the BBC is delighted that many here think the BBC is an essential service that justifies the compulsory license fee.

Well, the licence fee is pittance compared to what Sky is charging so I reckon it's good value for what you get, even Freesat.

Notice no one's really mentioned Virgin as an alternative to Sky. Are their prices any different/cheaper than Sky ? I gather they don't charge for HD content (although this isn't quite as good a Sky's) so that's one saving.

I frequently get leaflets through the door from Virgin and their prices look really attractive, but I think it doesn't quite reach my house. When I check coverage it doesn't seem as if I can get the service, which is a pity.
  • Options
    HertzHertz Posts: 3,213
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pavier wrote: »

and you need to pay a licence fee whether you watch the BBC or not. Even if the BBC was privatised we'd still have to pay a licence fee.

That's government policy.
  • Options
    Dave-HDave-H Posts: 9,940
    Forum Member
    As it is in some other countries too, it's not unique to the UK.
    In some of those other countries IIRC you have to have a TV licence, and the channels all carry commercials too!
    Worst of both worlds.
    :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    Hertz wrote: »
    Well, the licence fee is pittance compared to what Sky is charging so I reckon it's good value for what you get, even Freesat.

Notice no one's really mentioned Virgin as an alternative to Sky. Are their prices any different/cheaper than Sky ? I gather they don't charge for HD content (although this isn't quite as good a Sky's) so that's one saving.

I frequently get leaflets through the door from Virgin and their prices look really attractive, but I think it doesn't quite reach my house. When I check coverage it doesn't seem as if I can get the service, which is a pity.

To get premium HD content with Virgin it costs an additional £7 per month
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hertz wrote: »

We have both Sky and Virgin and the prices are much of a muchness for similar channels. Though there are some (eg Sky Atlantic) not on Virgin.

They simply quote one price for their packages inclusive of HD so it looks like they give it for free. They don't.

If they did anyone who could get both (like us) would choose Virgin all the time.

Sky - you might say - are more transparent - though it leaves them open to this kind of misunderstanding. I think they are showing signs of moving this way. Though it might not happen until HD is regarded as standard and something else (like 4K) is the premium product and commands an add on fee.

As for HD quality this is also pretty similar via Virgin and Sky to my eyes.

But Sky have by far the best box sets/catch up compared with Virgin - eg offering ITV in HD which nobody else does.
  • Options
    ktla5ktla5 Posts: 1,683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    just wondering if all these people who are ditching Sky as its going up in June, would they have done this if it had been the usual September rise ?