Options

Petition to RTÉ to change its selection process

2»

Comments

• Options
    Nick_PirceNick_Pirce Posts: 1,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the Voice of Ireland national selection process for the Eurovision Song Contest
  • Options
    EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was quite right in the fact that it seemed she would be peeping over the piano, failing to engage with the audience.

Also, did Panti Bliss do her make-up? Just terrible; seemed like it had been troweled on....

That would be my sole criticism about tonight, I've never seen her wearing that much make up before (second year running this has happened with an Irish entrant)
  • Options
    10000maniacs10000maniacs Posts: 831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't want to sound like Simon Cowell, but Mollie had serious pitch issues during the performance. She had a weak vocal range.
    The song itself was excellent, but Ireland needed a singer who could belt out the hooks.
  • Options
    brbbrb Posts: 27,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think the issue was Molly. She sings fine. The song however was soooo boring. I mean, it seriously took me months to remember anything from it. I'd even argue less memorable than Hungary.

It genuinely wouldn't surprise me if Ireland finish dead last last night. At least San Marino had the so bad it's good element.
  • Options
    rosetta12rosetta12 Posts: 4,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't want to sound like Simon Cowell, but Mollie had serious pitch issues during the performance. She had a weak vocal range.
    To me it sounded like she was crying? :confused: But maybe that's how her voice is...
  • Options
    bitchboybluebitchboyblue Posts: 2,778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The problem is is that it personifies the word 'pleasent'. And that isnt good enough when most people are voting for their favourite entry only. Id imagine if you asked most people, it would have been in their top 10 last night, but noone votes for 10 songs.

There were things that went against it, the draw, the camera which looked out of focus, the stupid decision to make her look 10 years older than her actual age, and a pretty flat performance. But at the end of the day, it wasnt good enough.
  • Options
    MysteriousOzMysteriousOz Posts: 6,230
    Forum Member
    EuroFoxi wrote: »
    But most of the Irish forum members were very confident that Molly would qualify? Granted, the selection isn't great but there's only much polishing you can do. In such a year with lots of ballads, Erika Selin would've been perfect.

Agreed! that's the reason I downloaded Erika's song and not Mollys. the song was too meh
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    brb wrote: »
    I don't think the issue was Molly. She sings fine. The song however was soooo boring. I mean, it seriously took me months to remember anything from it. I'd even argue less memorable than Hungary.

It genuinely wouldn't surprise me if Ireland finish dead last last night. At least San Marino had the so bad it's good element.

There's no way she was anywhere near last, not with those vocal car crashes from San Marino, Portugal and Iceland in the same semi. I imagine the juries punished those three severely.
  • Options
    Pippa2012Pippa2012 Posts: 610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I felt Mollys vocal was not her best. It was a good song and Ireland deserved to qualify over some of the songs that did. The piano looked awful, you never fully got to see Molly and the staging was extremely dull which didnt help expose Molly to the audience.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pippa2012 wrote: »
    I felt Mollys vocal was not her best. It was a good song and Ireland deserved to qualify over some of the songs that did. The piano looked awful, you never fully got to see Molly and the staging was extremely dull which didnt help expose Molly to the audience.

I would still say the song itself was the problem. It was rather introverted with complex lyrics and not even written for Eurovision.....it would be a bit like Damien Rice entering one of his moody album tracks and hoping for the best. The issues of the staging and presentation are side shows and I don't think they were key factors in the non qualification.
  • Options
    Yugimuto1Yugimuto1 Posts: 5,047
    Forum Member
    Some sites have stated Ireland withdrew from 2016. Probably not true but still. The Hit is supposed to be on soon isn't it?
  • Options
    ladygardenerladygardener Posts: 2,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Having the Late Late show audience choose our entrant is crazy. We need a proper national final (or even an internal selection if RTE could be trusted to take it seriously).

UK didn't even get a vote, an anonymous BBC committee chose the 2 people to sing - who'd ever heard of either of them - and then presented them with the song. The song is actually quite tuneful and cheerful and with the right singers could have done quite well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yugimuto1 wrote: »
    Some sites have stated Ireland withdrew from 2016. Probably not true but still. The Hit is supposed to be on soon isn't it?

We're already confirmed for 2016 :) Irish head of delegation Michael Kealy was on the Ray D'Arcy show yesterday discussing the options for the NF next year (he says all formats will be given consideration)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the 28 people who signed it so far. Molly replicated Can Linn's result last year coming 12th with 35 points. The televote is what failed her.
  • Options
    pjh8pjh8 Posts: 4,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the 28 people who signed it so far. Molly replicated Can Linn's result last year coming 12th with 35 points. The televote is what failed her.

Where did she come in juries and televote? The performance on the night is what let her down imo
  • Options
    Forum Member
    pjh8 wrote: »
    Where did she come in juries and televote? The performance on the night is what let her down imo
    She placed last in the televote and seventh in the jury vote.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She placed last in the televote and seventh in the jury vote.

6th in the jury vote and 16th in the televote is what I've seen?

Sixth in the jury vote is what was an exceptionally strong semi would tend to belie the theory that she underperformed or sang badly. Looks like the juries totally 'got' her in fact
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pjh8 wrote: »

No, I think the actual song was the problem. It was very quiet and understated with a melancholic and 'alternative' vibe. It needed a few listens for people to appreciate it, and I think this explains the huge difference between the jury and televote (if the performance had been poor, Molly would have had a bad jury score but she had the opposite in fact)
  • Options
    EuroFoxiEuroFoxi Posts: 12,405
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eurostar wrote: »
    No, I think the actual song was the problem. It was very quiet and understated with a melancholic and 'alternative' vibe. It needed a few listens for people to appreciate it, and I think this explains the huge difference between the jury and televote (if the performance had been poor, Molly would have had a bad jury score but she had the opposite in fact)

But they were two seperate performances? Not just that, but PWN was kind of marked out from the start as jury fodder along with a few other ballads. It just wasn't appealing to an audience that wasn't made up of jury professionals. It is a good song, but not for that audience.
  • Options
    21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,506
    Forum Member
    I really think Ireland should look at sending HomeTown next year.

I know they're a boyband and I know they're managed by Louis Walsh but this song is the right length for Eurovision and could have been a contender for Top 10.

It could be a good way to guarantee them international exposure.

At the very least it's imperative they change the selection format. The Late Late Show set-up is toxic and completely tainted with Ireland's recent run of disaster.
  • Options
    Scarlett BerryScarlett Berry Posts: 21,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Everything about it was wrong. Molly sounded off, the song was too dour and her make up was horrendous.

She's a talented kid but it just wasn't the right song for EuroV.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    EuroFoxi wrote: »
    But they were two seperate performances? Not just that, but PWN was kind of marked out from the start as jury fodder along with a few other ballads. It just wasn't appealing to an audience that wasn't made up of jury professionals. It is a good song, but not for that audience.

Do you mean the jury final vs the live semi final? Well the bloggers claimed she wasn't particularly good in the jury final, but we can knock that claim on the head with the jury score.

The song was the problem of course, simply not instant or memorable enough. Molly wrote it for her debut album but Greg French persuaded her to enter it into Eurosong at the very last moment. It was a brave gamble though....for all we knew, people could have liked it and sent it into the final.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Everything about it was wrong. Molly sounded off, the song was too dour and her make up was horrendous.

She's a talented kid but it just wasn't the right song for EuroV.

Nothing wrong with entering the wrong song for Eurovision though. Sometimes the wrong song can become the right song. The Common Linnets could have failed to qualify last year and then people would have been saying it was a mistake to send country music to Eurovision.
  • Options
    firefly_irlfirefly_irl Posts: 4,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't anyone hold their breath. Creativity is an alien concept to out national broadcaster.