Options

As saying goes 'If It Ain't broke, why fix it?'...

2»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 209
    Forum Member
    I was starting to wish Sky hadn't made any changes based on the posts here. However our box was updated Wednesday/Thursday and I'm sorry to disagree with most here - I think it's a brilliant update!

Mini TV. Great have wanted this for ages.
    Bug fixes. Especially the 30x FFW & sandwiched recordings with padding.
    Speed. Far faster than the old EPG (for us).

OK we've only been using it for a couple of days, but I just don't know what you guys are complaining about. Having said that there are a couple of niggles the main one being not changing output resolution (we use automatic as our TV & separate video scaler do a far superior job). The quick double click of "select" before the mini tv updates is a usable workaround, but it needs to be fixed.
  • Options
    coopermanyorkscoopermanyorks Posts: 21,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hollerz wrote: »
    Amazing. People will whinge about anything :rolleyes:

Does that make your post just as bad , as you are winging about people who whinge ? :D
  • Options
    beatlesaintbeatlesaint Posts: 677
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    miss_chaos wrote: »
    Beatlesaint, have you had any problems with recording programmes yet, as our progammes keep failing to record halfway through etc

No not yet, and its been given quite a tough workout over the last couple of days cos we record a lot on Thursdays and Fridays.

Do a reboot and see if that clears it up.
  • Options
    ProDaveProDave Posts: 11,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Buncecount wrote: »
    The biggest complaint is speed and extra number of keystokes now required.

So has that feedback got to Sky yet, and are they going to address that complaint?

My second complaint is the inconsistent use of the coloured buttons. Lets go back to tbe blue button for favourites, not a mixture of different coloured buttons for favourites depending where you are at the time.

And my third complaint is the lack of wrapping. i.e old EPG, press tv guide then blue (for favourites) press UP arrow and it takes you to the end of your favourite channels. (handy to see what's on the different regional variants of BBC etc)

New EPG, when at the top of the list, pressing up does nothing, you have to page down several times to get to the end.

It would be nice to know feedback about things users don't like IS getting back, and they are at least considering making tweaks based on user feedback.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 463
    Forum Member
    hollerz wrote: »
    Amazing. People will whinge about anything :rolleyes:

We are not whinging about nothing. My poor father is struggling to use the new EPG menus. You try using new technology when you are 69 yrs old and being from a generation where technology such as computers etc are a new thing to you (as is the case with today's majority of the older generation)
  • Options
    BuncecountBuncecount Posts: 1,191
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bobcar wrote: »
    Some people have reported problems when recording two channels and going into the EPG to watch a pre-recorded one. Apparently sometimes one of the recordings fails.

I have not seen any of these posts, were many people saying this?.

Did the users say what the techical fault code was on the failure.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ProDave wrote: »
    So has that feedback got to Sky yet, and are they going to address that complaint?

My second complaint is the inconsistent use of the coloured buttons. Lets go back to tbe blue button for favourites, not a mixture of different coloured buttons for favourites depending where you are at the time.

And my third complaint is the lack of wrapping. i.e old EPG, press tv guide then blue (for favourites) press UP arrow and it takes you to the end of your favourite channels. (handy to see what's on the different regional variants of BBC etc)

New EPG, when at the top of the list, pressing up does nothing, you have to page down several times to get to the end.

It would be nice to know feedback about things users don't like IS getting back, and they are at least considering making tweaks based on user feedback.

We are aware of the slow response problem, but cant comment on if it will or can be addressed.

Why not just use page up/page down in the planner, I always did this even on the old EPG, this wil wrap around fine.
  • Options
    SlugerSluger Posts: 861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Day 4 on the new EPG. No Problems and like it very much.
  • Options
    Deacon1972Deacon1972 Posts: 8,171
    Forum Member
    But its not a lot quicker then the old EPG, it takes longer to scroll left and right then it did on the old EPG and you can scroll too far sometimes so to move through a days listings is about the same on both EPG's. It may appear to be fast as no searching for listing message but its taking longer to move through that 6 hour span then on the old EPG.
    I'm noticing no difference between the actual scrolling speed, the speed in which the times scroll past onscreen, it scrolls a whole day in about 6secs. Where I'm noticing a big difference is the speed the information appears on screen, is so much faster, it's instantaneously, especially when you scroll past the current day, with the old EPG you had to wait ages for the info to appear as all you had on screen was a page of searching.

There's also a massive difference when using the +24hrs, going up to the max days allowed the info is there instantly, with the old EPG you had to wait 15-20 secs if not more to have all the information onscreen.

I'd have to say the new EPG is so much quicker in this respect.
  • Options
    Forum Member

I'm assuming bobcar is referring to the problems mentioned here......

Post 6381 ->

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?p=31860637&highlight=#post31860637

It has been mentioned elsewhere but can't find any reference to it atm.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Deacon1972 wrote: »

Post 6381 ->

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?p=31860637&highlight=#post31860637

I can't replicate the problem in post 6381 can anyone else?

Infact I am not really sure what the problem is they are having?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sluger wrote: »
    I can't replicate the problem in post 6381 can anyone else?
    I followed what they did to the letter as have others and didn't have any problems at all.
    Sluger wrote: »
    Infact I am not really sure what the problem is they are having?
    My understanding was the recordings failed because the mini screen didn't lock onto one of the channels that was part of the dual recording, it tried to show the last channel viewed, so the software assumed there was a clash because technically three tuners would be needed to do this.

The workaround is to tune into one of the channels that makes up the dual recording when the mini screen is enabled, so when you enter the EPG it shows one of the channels recording in the mini screen.

As already mentioned, I tried this and found the mini screen automatically switched to one of the channels that was recording. It worked the same way as the old EPG - When you switched the box on during a dual recording it tuned into one of the recordings regardless of what channel you were watching prior to the dual recording starting.
  • Options
    bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Post 6381 ->

That's the one, there have been a lot of posts about it on AV forums.

As with any of these "problems" I won't know until I actually get the new EPG as to whether they will be an issue with my box. I can see some definite irritants such as the blue LEDs always on and sound during EPG but I can live with those with the help of card and the mute button. The advantages that everybody talks about are not advantages to me and the way I use the box (I can accept that to others they are) so at best all I get are minor negatives from the new EPG but at worst the box may end up with recording faults and that is unacceptable.

The current EPG does everything I need and does it reliably, how can you improve on perfection? Much as I like HD if the new software causes recording losses (and 1 in a 100 is too many) then I will cancel HD at the end of my years subscription and go back to Sky+.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As already mentioned, I tried this and found the mini screen automatically switched to one of the channels that was recording. It worked the same way as the old EPG - When you switched the box on during a dual recording it tuned into one of the recordings regardless of what channel you were watching prior to the dual recording starting.

Yes it does seem hit and miss as to whether a particular box is affected or not. Given Sky's "testing" none of us will really have a clue as to how the new EPG affects different makes of box or even different versions until those boxes are upgraded. If Sky have only been "testing" on Thomsons it could be carnage on Samsungs, Paces or Amstrads.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    That's the one, there have been a lot of posts about it on AV forums.

As with any of these "problems" I won't know until I actually get the new EPG as to whether they will be an issue with my box. I can see some definite irritants such as the blue LEDs always on and sound during EPG but I can live with those with the help of card and the mute button. The advantages that everybody talks about are not advantages to me and the way I use the box (I can accept that to others they are) so at best all I get are minor negatives from the new EPG but at worst the box may end up with recording faults and that is unacceptable.

The current EPG does everything I need and does it reliably, how can you improve on perfection? Much as I like HD if the new software causes recording losses (and 1 in a 100 is too many) then I will cancel HD at the end of my years subscription and go back to Sky+.
    I've not had any problems with recording reliability so far, so hopefully this will be retained when you get updated.

There are a few niggles but you learn to work around them - the blue LED is the most frustrating, I got fed up with going into the settings every time we watched a recording, I've covered it up now until they sent out a fix.

The mini screen is another, personally I like it, but it can have a few drawbacks, especially if you want to go into the planner and watch a recording when a dual recording is active, I have now got into the habit of hitting mute, it's not ideal but does the job.

If you use the search function now, you'll be blown away with the revised search feature, it's excellent.

To be honest I was apprehensive after reading some of the problems testers were having, but now it's here it's not as bad as first thought and I have no major complaints.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 28
    Forum Member
    What a load of miserable whingers you are - some people do nothing but moan. I am a 70 yr old and find the new EPG absolutely fantastic - it does everything I expected from it - well done Sky, you've excelled yourselves this time (which makes a change!). Come on you people who agree with me - put the whingers down!!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What a load of miserable whingers you are - some people do nothing but moan. I am a 70 yr old and find the new EPG absolutely fantastic - it does everything I expected from it - well done Sky, you've excelled yourselves this time (which makes a change!). Come on you people who agree with me - put the whingers down!!!

Couldn't agree more.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Post 6381 ->

I think there are a few issues when the mini TV is on, never had any of these as I turned the mini TV off from day 1, I really dont see the point of it to be honest.
  • Options
    mitchec1mitchec1 Posts: 658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It comes up with clashed but it seems not everyone has this issue. It's happened on my 004 box but not my 006 and it doesn't happen all the time.

There's a thread on av forums with the same thing

http://www.avforums.com/forums/sky-hd/974498-new-planner-new-issue-noted.html

It's been reported to sky via the website but tbh I shouldn't have bothered the response was from script and thought I had an Amstrad and told me to reboot the box.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 463
    Forum Member

Hmmm very interesting...so you never whinge do you?? Well I looked back at some of your previous posts on DS and you have whinged about Sky in the past on various things e.g. below in 2005:

"Sky+ 160 sound drop out problems on playback
    Views: 39,281 Posted By mjsheffield

Maybe if we all complained directly to Mr Murdock they would get their finger out!

So lets all get emailing so they know we mean business!"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    miss_chaos wrote: »
    Hmmm very interesting...so you never whinge do you?? Well I looked back at some of your previous posts on DS and you have whinged about Sky in the past on various things e.g. below in 2005:

"Sky+ 160 sound drop out problems on playback
    Views: 39,281 Posted By mjsheffield

Maybe if we all complained directly to Mr Murdock they would get their finger out!

So lets all get emailing so they know we mean business!"
    I think you're only allowed to moan about things MJ doesn't like.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 28
    Forum Member
    I think you're only allowed to moan about things MJ doesn't like.

Too right!!!:):)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Day 5 of new EPG. No problems. Still loving it.