Sky Box & Telephone Caller ID

pete taylorpete taylor Posts: 1,977
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Does anyone know if it would be possible for a Sky box to be developed to read telephone caller ID information from the phone line and flash it up on your TV screen if desired, providing your phone line was connected to the Sky box?

Comments

• sodafountainsodafountain Posts: 16,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The box has a modem in it, i'm sure that Sky could write software to look at the phone line, and show the number ringing if they wanted to, but as they haven't done so by now, i doubt they are much interested.
  • pogitpogit Posts: 612
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nice idea I would quiet like that feature aslong as it was by choice, would it have a phonebook feature to show names?
    were would they draw the line I don't think I would want Facebook pop ups all the time?
    Also on the negative side I wouldn't want my number showing up on a friends screen in front of there guests, but I suppose that's what the hide my number functions for. IIRC a BT/easicom tv email box used to have display callers ID feature.
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,512
    Forum Member
    The box has a modem in it, i'm sure that Sky could write software to look at the phone line, and show the number ringing if they wanted to, but as they haven't done so by now, i doubt they are much interested.

No, why should Sky spend the millions required writing and testing the software - for a feature of no interest to almost all their customers, and that wouldn't generate any income for them.
  • sodafountainsodafountain Posts: 16,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, why should Sky spend the millions required writing and testing the software - for a feature of no interest to almost all their customers, and that wouldn't generate any income for them.

I never said they would, in fact, if you read my post, i do infact so why would they be interested, having not done so already :confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You would soon get annoyed with all the 'WITHHELD' and 'INTERNATIONAL' calls popping up for all the silent/cold calls.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32
    Forum Member
    yes it is possible, as the software is already written and used around the world on many boxes used by the Murdoch tv empire. The UK Sky box software is only a 'skin' and many features can be activated ie: remember the 'olden days' when we could get emails on the telly or 'shop' via the box or even view 'digitalspy' on the sky box .So many features can be turned on or off at skys whim it is sad to say.
    Forum Member
    come to think of it ALL the USA tv digi boxes have this feature.
  • teletvteletv Posts: 1,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My series one TIVO does this.
  • Marti SMarti S Posts: 5,788
    Forum Member
    2corney wrote: »
    come to think of it ALL the USA tv digi boxes have this feature.

I wouldn't be surprised if they also get caller ID in on the price and not charged extra for it too.

Like most of the feature services, costs nothing or little to provide but generates a good extra income for the phone providers here.

I remember in the LCL/Diamond cable years these were free
    Forum Member
    the old BT(netgem)iplayer freeview box had it too!!!
    Forum Member
    Sky Talk don't charge for caller id.
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,512
    Forum Member
    2corney wrote: »
    Sky Talk don't charge for caller id.

Neither do BT (if you order it correctly).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,258
    Forum Member
    Neither do BT (if you order it correctly).

Difference is BT don't display International numbers (or yet to see one), yet via other providers we get (even coop telecom) show them.. (tested via our usa landland) :)
  • Bald1Bald1 Posts: 405
    Forum Member
    I saw a unit being sold on QVC about 10 years ago that did this. I can't remember the name of it as I was too busy thinking "who would possibly want that?"

And it wasn't that expensive either.