Options

Amount of uncollected tax rises to £35 BILLION - 7% of all tax owed still goes unpaid

Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Despite outrage at big firms not paying their way the amount of uncollected tax rises to £35BILLION

7% of all tax owed still goes unpaid despite years of anger about avoidance

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2454179/Amount-uncollected-tax-rises-35BILLION.html#ixzz2hSp5eJd3

So, surprise, surprise, the Tories have done nothing in chasing down unpaid tax, tax avoidance. The unpaid tax figures have actually gone up.

Comments

• Options
    AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This sentence is a logical fallacy.
    7% of all tax owed still goes unpaid despite years of anger about avoidance.

How can it be owed if it's been avoided?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aneechik wrote: »
    This sentence is a logical fallacy.

How can it be owed if it's been avoided?

Because it's owed and the people and companies that owe it have simply not paid it.
  • Options
    MajlisMajlis Posts: 31,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Daft story to outrage the simple minded - the total percentage has been falling for years, looking at individual years is pointless as total tax take varies from year to year.
  • Options
    AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    whip wrote: »
    Because it's owed and the people and companies that owe it have simply not paid it.

It's not owed if it's been avoided. It's only owed if it's been evaded.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A break down of it here:

£35 billion in tax not collected

"Official estimates indicated £11.4 billion of VAT, £15.3 billion of income tax, £4.7 billion in corporation tax and £2.5 billion excise duties was not collected in 2011/12.

The HM Revenue and Customs' (HMRC) figures suggest £5.1 billion was lost to the Exchequer as a result of evasion, £4.7 billion as the result of criminal activity including fraud and smuggling and £4 billion through avoidance schemes."

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/uk/35-billion-in-tax-not-collected-29652944.html
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The yearly amount spent on the unemployed is a tiny fraction of this figure.
  • Options
    jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    every penny earned here
    should be taxed here
  • Options
    HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aneechik wrote: »
    It's not owed if it's been avoided. It's only owed if it's been evaded.

Sure, technically, legally.

But when you have people paying 1% tax or no tax at all despite living/trading in Britain it's wrong, outright wrong on every level.

The laws need changing, the loopholes need closing and the government is the sole responsible body for this.

If you don't want to pay British tax fine - but don't work or live here.
  • Options
    jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hypnodisc wrote: »

But when you have people paying 1% tax or no tax at all despite living/trading in Britain it's wrong, outright wrong on every level.

The laws need changing, the loopholes need closing and the government is the sole responsible body for this.

we'd have to find someone with the guts to do this though ..... know anybody?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jol44 wrote: »
    The yearly amount spent on the unemployed is a tiny fraction of this figure.

Yes but the unemployed can't buy politicians like the rich can.
  • Options
    David TeeDavid Tee Posts: 22,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I agree. It's not right, companies *should* pay the tax that's intended - but the problem of avoidance is so vast and complex that's it's largely beyond our control now. These companies aren't breaking any law; quite the reverse, they're almost fastidious about operating within the law. The issue is that courtesy of trade agreements etc., those laws cross boundaries and they're able to select and choose those that serve them best. This is an international issue and any meaningful solution must address that. After many years of doing nothing about it, progress is finally being made on that front. I'm sure it'll take years - maybe even up to a decade - but one day these companies will fall in line with everyone else when it comes to paying tax.
  • Options
    Rastus PiefaceRastus Pieface Posts: 4,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jenzie wrote: »
    every penny earned here
    should be taxed here

so you want every workers tax free allowance removed - thus making the poorest earners even worse off.

whip wrote: »
    Yes but the unemployed can't buy politicians like the rich can.

no, but they (not all i may add) can and do vote for politicians who promise them the earth using other peoples money.
  • Options
    AftershowAftershow Posts: 10,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    £35 billion in tax not collected

The HM Revenue and Customs' (HMRC) figures suggest £5.1 billion was lost to the Exchequer as a result of evasion, £4.7 billion as the result of criminal activity including fraud and smuggling and £4 billion through avoidance schemes."

That's just shy of £13bn. Where's the rest of it gone then?
  • Options
    TheEngineerTheEngineer Posts: 7,789
    Forum Member
    Aftershow wrote: »
    That's just shy of £13bn. Where's the rest of it gone then?

Probably a combination of genuine errors in reporting (which are often picked up on later), cash in hand / informal economy and losses when companies / individuals go bust owing tax / VAT.
  • Options
    swaydogswaydog Posts: 5,653
    Forum Member

Look what happened when they tried to close the VAT avoiding loophole exploited by supermarkets chains,Gregg's, etc..

Who was it that was opposed to it?

Also there are some British companies that pay tax here when selling products in counties that have higher tax rates.
    Are they avoiding tax by being based here?
    Some laws and loopholes can only be closed by international agreement, so the government is not "the sole responsible body for this"
  • Options
    AftershowAftershow Posts: 10,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cash in hand / informal economy

That would fall under evasion then, no?
    losses when companies / individuals go bust owing tax / VAT.

Good luck collecting most of that.
  • Options
    swaydogswaydog Posts: 5,653
    Forum Member
    Majlis wrote: »
    Daft story to outrage the simple minded - the total percentage has been falling for years, looking at individual years is pointless as total tax take varies from year to year.

The percentage gap fell in this year too according to the link.

"The percentage tax gap has fallen very slightly from 7.3 per cent to 7 per cent over the same period."
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,147
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Same old story really and not surprising
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Despite outrage at big firms not paying their way the amount of uncollected tax rises to £35BILLION

7% of all tax owed still goes unpaid despite years of anger about avoidance

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2454179/Amount-uncollected-tax-rises-35BILLION.html#ixzz2hSp5eJd3

So, surprise, surprise, the Tories have done nothing in chasing down unpaid tax, tax avoidance. The unpaid tax figures have actually gone up.

I wonder how much of that £35b is part of the 30% the top earners are meant to be paying?
  • Options
    jcafcwjcafcw Posts: 11,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is it time for a global economic policy to deal with the the global economic marketplace?

Can national governments ever be able to cope with people who do intend to not pay their tax?

Do we need to simplify the tax laws to get rid of the loopholes?
  • Options
    RichievillaRichievilla Posts: 6,179
    Forum Member
    Yet again these figures are, by any standards, pretty appalling and show a failure of successive governments to deal with this huge problem. Although some of this (£2.9bn) is down to innocent human error, it highlights that there are many greedy, selfish individuals and companies who think that they are above the law. Just as I condemn the much smaller abuse of the benefit system, I condemn these selfish offenders although I note that some others, for whatever reasons, choose not to.

7% is a very high figure and even a small proportion of this could make a big difference to the lives of people who really need help with things such as heating bills and care costs. The offenders should hang their heads in shame.

For anybody that is interested, the breakdown is as follows:

VAT - £11.4bn (10.4% tax gap)
    Excise Duties - £2.5bn (4.9% tax gap)
    IT, NIC, CGT - £15.3bn (5.8% tax gap, including a 17.4% gap in self assessment)
    Corporation Tax - £4.7bn (9.6% tax gap)
    Other Taxes - £1.1bn (4.2% tax gap, including a 12% gap in IHT)

It is also worth noting that when these figures were initially issued last year they estimated the tax gap at 6.7% but they were revised up to 7.1%, so the 7% initial estimate figure may rise.
  • Options
    TheEngineerTheEngineer Posts: 7,789
    Forum Member
    Yet again these figures are, by any standards, pretty appalling and show a failure of successive governments to deal with this huge problem. Although some of this (£2.9bn) is down to innocent human error, it highlights that there are many greedy, selfish individuals and companies who think that they are above the law. Just as I condemn the much smaller abuse of the benefit system, I condemn these selfish offenders although I note that some others, for whatever reasons, choose not to.

7% is a very high figure and even a small proportion of this could make a big difference to the lives of people who really need help with things such as heating bills and care costs. The offenders should hang their heads in shame.

It is also worth noting that when these figures were initially issued last year they estimated the tax gap at 6.7% but they were revised up to 7.1%, so the 7% initial estimate figure may rise.

Right - I am sure "Vinnie" and his mates pulling the VAT fraud will die of shame!

As will the four mates how go over to France in a car and come back with a boot full of **** and booze because of "rip off Britain prices".

I am sure the small business owner who has just lost thier company will be even more distraught at the fact that not only has s/he lost their business, but should now hang their head that they cannot pay the corporation tax bill.

Just remember the next time offers you a "cash in hand deal" that you should be ashamed to even think about accepting it.
  • Options
    LandisLandis Posts: 14,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Right - I am sure "Vinnie" and his mates pulling the VAT fraud will die of shame!

As will the four mates how go over to France in a car and come back with a boot full of **** and booze because of "rip off Britain prices".

I am sure the small business owner who has just lost thier company will be even more distraught at the fact that not only has s/he lost their business, but should now hang their head that they cannot pay the corporation tax bill.

Just remember the next time offers you a "cash in hand deal" that you should be ashamed to even think about accepting it.

Would you support a policy in which Her Majesty's Inspectors of Taxes move almost 100% towards investigating the richest people in society? Everybody on modest income and not on PAYE will simply have their tax return accepted and rubber stamped.

After all - We are constantly being told that "the actual tax take is the only thing that matters".
  • Options
    RichievillaRichievilla Posts: 6,179
    Forum Member

Making excuses for these greedy, selfish individuals and companies, while choosing not to condemn such people, is not a position that I will ever stoop to. As I do not accept cash in hand deals then I have no need to feel any shame as, unlike some, I choose to abide by the law.
  • Options
    MajlisMajlis Posts: 31,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Unless you drastically simplify the system and remove all the allowances and loopholes introduced by various governments over the years (with generally good intentions), I would doubt that no matter how much money you throw at it you will not get the level of the tax gap down significantly.

Also you then run into international agreements - the Single Market being one, that increase the problem.