Options

20/20-Is it Cricket?

2»

Comments

• Options
    TommyGavin76TommyGavin76 Posts: 17,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry do not believe that happened in th uk, unless you can provide the details,the ecb specifically banned the bringing in by members such as myself,or any other members of the public alcohol into grounds,based soley on the behaviour of the crowds at last years 20/20 matches.

The fact you have never seen a cricket match in the 20 years since the alledged incident, suggests you are not a cricket fan anyway.Sorry for any offence caused.

Where did I say I hadn't seen a cricket match since? I have not seen an incident like that since or even heard of one but I go to plenty of cricket matches.

It was England v Pakistan at Edgbaston, would have been about 1988 I reckon.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Where did I say I hadn't seen a cricket match since? I have not seen an incident like that since or even heard of one but I go to plenty of cricket matches.

It was England v Pakistan at Edgbaston, would have been about 1988 I reckon.

which proves if the incident did indeed take place which is far from claer,violence at cricket ,matches is very rare.

Except last year when due to the unruley behaviour by the crowds the ecb bought a alcohol ban in for 20/20 matches only! hitherto unheard of in cricket.

Underlined by the fact that in 50 over matches alcohol is still allowed to be bought in.
  • Options
    RealaleRealale Posts: 6,381
    Forum Member
    Sorry do not believe that happened in th uk, unless you can provide the details,the ecb specifically banned the bringing in by members such as myself,or any other members of the public alcohol into grounds,based soley on the behaviour of the crowds at last years 20/20 matches.

The fact you have never seen a cricket match in the 20 years since the alledged incident, suggests you are not a cricket fan anyway.Sorry for any offence caused.

What about the crowd behaviour during the late 70's and early 80's when they used to run on the pitch all the time?
    I don't think it is fair to blame 20/20 for the banning of alcohol. To be honest I think it is just the clubs looking to make more money by stopping you bringing in cheaper drink.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    which proves if the incident did indeed take place which is far from claer,violence at cricket ,matches is very rare.

Except last year when due to the unruley behaviour by the crowds the ecb bought a alcohol ban in for 20/20 matches only! hitherto unheard of in cricket.

Underlined by the fact that in 50 over matches alcohol is still allowed to be bought in.

It proves that trouble at cricket matches is far from a new thing. Stopping people bringing alcohol in doesn't stop them drinking, just makes it more expensive for them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Realale wrote: »
    What about the crowd behaviour during the late 70's and early 80's when they used to run on the pitch all the time?
    I don't think it is fair to blame 20/20 for the banning of alcohol. To be honest I think it is just the clubs looking to make more money by stopping you bringing in cheaper drink.

The crowds running onto the pitch was fairly harmless,crowds still do that at cricket matches,witness englands ashes triumph a couple of years ago.

I saw at essex last year as a member, people in the public stands unable to stand due to the amount of alcohol consummed and shouting abuse out,i do not see that at 50 over matches,pro 40 matches or county championship matches.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It proves that trouble at cricket matches is far from a new thing. Stopping people bringing alcohol in doesn't stop them drinking, just makes it more expensive for them.

Including people like me who are members of our counties. How selfish of the people responsible. Trouble at cricket matches is a new thing having been a member of a county for years i have not my self witnessed any.
  • Options
    RealaleRealale Posts: 6,381
    Forum Member
    I saw at essex last year as a member, people in the public stands unable to stand due to the amount of alcohol consummed and shouting abuse out,i do not see that at 50 over matches,pro 40 matches or county championship matches.

If that is the case then they should be ejected from the ground, but to imply everyone that enjoys 20/20 is some kind of lout is ridiculous.
    I love all forms of cricket and I believe 20/20 has a big part to play in the future of this magnificent sport.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Realale wrote: »
    If that is the case then they should be ejected from the ground, but to imply everyone that enjoys 20/20 is some kind of lout is ridiculous.
    I love all forms of cricket and I believe 20/20 has a big part to play in the future of this magnificent sport.

Yes i agree it defintely has its place,a big one at that, its just not for me i like a days entertainment for my money,i did not imply that everyone that enjoys 20/20 cricket is a lout but it is noteworthy that the ecb has only banned alcohol being bought in for the 20/20 matches which suggests there is a problem.

I have people at work i know who are not very interested in cricket per-se but like 20/20 purely for the boisterous atmosphere and yes i was told by one, they consummed copious amounts of alcohol prior to entering the ground.

Yes people should perhaps be ejected from the ground,but in crickets dash for cash that is not realistic.
  • Options
    Faxy FowlerFaxy Fowler Posts: 17,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes i agree it defintely has its place,a big one at that, its just not for me i like a days entertainment for my money,i did not imply that everyone that enjoys 20/20 cricket is a lout but it is noteworthy that the ecb has only banned alcohol being bought in for the 20/20 matches which suggests there is a problem.

If what you are saying is, you can't bring alcohol in for 20/20 games, I would add that you are not allowed to bring alcohol in for Test matches either.

You used to be able to - but it was rooted out of all bags for the Old Trafford Test - I attended day one so I know for a fact.

The banning of taking your own beer into the ground due to fear of violence is nothing more than a handy smokescreen - if they were that bothered about how much people drink, then they'd not sell alcohol inside the ground either. A convenient way to make money, methinks.

So to say such a ban is particular to 20/20 is wide of the mark.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If what you are saying is, you can't bring alcohol in for 20/20 games, I would add that you are not allowed to bring alcohol in for Test matches either.

You used to be able to - but it was rooted out of all bags for the Old Trafford Test - I attended day one so I know for a fact.

The banning of taking your own beer into the ground due to fear of violence is nothing more than a handy smokescreen - if they were that bothered about how much people drink, then they'd not sell alcohol inside the ground either. A convenient way to make money, methinks.

So to say such a ban is particular to 20/20 is wide of the mark.

Exactly. I wonder if the grounds sell alcohol at cost price to make up for the fact you can't take it in any more.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,587
    Forum Member
    I like 20/20 but would not like to see it the only form of the game i also like watching 50 over cricket and test matches
  • Options
    Faxy FowlerFaxy Fowler Posts: 17,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Exactly. I wonder if the grounds sell alcohol at cost price to make up for the fact you can't take it in any more.

I think you and I know the answer to that. ;)
  • Options
    RaytopsRaytops Posts: 973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Of course its not cricket its garbage.
    The people who find even 50 over cricket too much, will soon find this traversty boring too. Then theyll probably want 10 over matches, with players in fancy dress.
    Get the players back in white. Just why does everything have to be "dumbed down" these days?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There was a fair bit of bother at the Day/Nighter at Edgbaston in 2001 (Eng v Pakistan) though to be fair I believe it to have been mainly those (on both sides) with a racist agenda. I was there and it was quite sickening at times, though i have never seen any trouble since. Only been to 20/20 at New Road and that was fine
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Raytops wrote: »
    The people who find even 50 over cricket too much, will soon find this traversty boring too. Then theyll probably want 10 over matches, with players in fancy dress.
    Get the players back in white. Just why does everything have to be "dumbed down" these days?

I agree, I fear though this will never happen

And don't get me started on the music! I used to like Back in Black!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Raytops wrote: »

IMHO anything less than 50 overs and there's no chance to apply tactics so by definition it's not cricket. T20 is baseball pure and simple. I quite like watching it on TV but I won't pay to see it any more. I have been to a few games but the crowd is more reminiscent of a football match with drunkenness, player abuse, umpire abuse, etc - purile and I felt uncomfortable being there. Never again.

T20 is for football "fans" with nothing better to do in the summer and who crave a bit of minimal attention span, minimal thought provoking smash bang "entertainment"! The amount of money in T20 will turn it into a mimic of the Premier League in all ways and it will ruin the game.
  • Options
    bob fossilbob fossil Posts: 941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a bit like 5 a side football or rugby sevens, it's fun to watch but I don't see it as the "real" game. The worrying thing is that the amount of money being poured into it could mean that it will become the focus of young cricketers coming in to the game.

I think it has a place but I just hope it doesn't detract from the test cricket or, more likely, the 4 day county game