Options

Time Keeping In Work Help ?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,508
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I need some advise please if any one can help. Back last year my OH was given a verbal warning about his time keeping (i.e being a few mins late in the morning). He was given a 6 month review in which he had to be on time (the 6 months is nearly up). Fast forward to this week and he arrived in work at 9am (his stipulated hours of work) but he was told by his supervisor that he would like him to be in work before 9am in case they need to discuss work related issued before the start of the day (OH things this is petty because he supervisor doesn't like him but that's another story), today he came into work at 9am again and was told because of his lateness he is now going to get a written warning.

My understanding is if your hours of work are 9am - 5pm and you arrive on work premises at 9am and clocked into the building then this is fine I don't see how they can give him a warning for being late when technically he is not.

People in other department time keeping is just the same as the OH but they don't get penalised like he does. Can anyone suggest what I can do to help him ?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He should be ready and have started work by 9. It's not enough to have arrived by 9 if he isn't ready to start work. All the same I think he should consider taking a grievance out against his supervisor who sounds like a dragon.
  • Options
    FearFactorFearFactor Posts: 2,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd advise checking with HR (if his firm is big enough to have an HR dept.) on what his contracted working hours are (or at least checking his contract) and then reverting to his poxy manager if he can prove he isn't contracted to be there before 9am.

If HR/his contract doesn't state a start time, just a number of hours, I'd suggest he agrees with the manager he'll be there just before 9, but also states he'll be leaving just before 5, as he isn't working time that he isn't being paid for. ;)

As far as discussing work related issues before the start of the day - are they in a particular enironment where they can't talk after the "working day" has started at 9:00? If not, then there's no need to discuss work issues before work starts anyway is there?! :rolleyes:

Grr I hate bosses like that!! And I'm one of those people that's in work half hour before I start (usually on DS) - but I don't expect others to be, or to want to talk shop before the working day has begun.

Hope things work out ok for him OP.

fF
  • Options
    butterworthbutterworth Posts: 17,876
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If he is clocking in at 9.00 am then, whilst he isn't going to win any employee of the month awards, he is on fairly sound legal ground. He should really be working at 9 though, not taking off his coat and having a poo.

To be honest, if he's already been given a warning about his timekeeping, then would it really kill to get in a few minutes early. Does he hang around outisde until dead on 9, or does he genuinely get there at 9, to the minute, every single day ?
  • Options
    indianwellsindianwells Posts: 12,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would just get there 5 minutes early. It's not going to kill him.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the advice it really bugs me because he gets there just before 9am and I mean only just before its hell to get through the traffic in the mornings from where we live its all country lanes so of course you can get stuck by tractors and crap like that, his supervisor is the only other one that lives close to us but he always comes into work half an hour before. I know that he should leave sooner but I just feel as though the supervisor is singling him out I do thinks though he should appeal against the warning and officially complain about the supervisor.

And he has been getting into work 5 mins before its just yesterday and today he was there dead on 9.
  • Options
    fi~fi~ Posts: 5,481
    Forum Member
    my hours of work is 9-5 i need to be ready and pc switched on etc for 9am not walking ni the door at 9
  • Options
    sadoldbirdsadoldbird Posts: 9,626
    Forum Member
    I would just get there 5 minutes early. It's not going to kill him.

I have to say, whatever the legal rights and wrongs, this is the pragmatic approach and I agree with it. Sometimes you just have to get on with it.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    johnny_t wrote: »
    He should really be working at 9 though, not taking off his coat and having a poo.

Is this a slight insight to your morning ritual?
    Put the kettle on first.
  • Options
    Granny WeatherwaxGranny Weatherwax Posts: 52,923
    Forum Member
    FearFactor wrote: »
    I'd advise checking with HR (if his firm is big enough to have an HR dept.) on what his contracted working hours are (or at least checking his contract) and then reverting to his poxy manager if he can prove he isn't contracted to be there before 9am.

If HR/his contract doesn't state a start time, just a number of hours, I'd suggest he agrees with the manager he'll be there just before 9, but also states he'll be leaving just before 5, as he isn't working time that he isn't being paid for. ;)

As far as discussing work related issues before the start of the day - are they in a particular enironment where they can't talk after the "working day" has started at 9:00? If not, then there's no need to discuss work issues before work starts anyway is there?! :rolleyes:

Grr I hate bosses like that!! And I'm one of those people that's in work half hour before I start (usually on DS) - but I don't expect others to be, or to want to talk shop before the working day has begun.

Hope things work out ok for him OP.

fF

I agree with the first bit in bold, the second bit in bold, I'd ask why it has be to discussed outside work hours anyway. Are work things not meant to be discussed within working hours? If things need to be discusses outwith working hours then I suggest your OH asks for overtime.

Failing that, set Grebo them! :D
  • Options
    InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nanny Ogg: What time does he leave the house?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nanny Ogg: What time does he leave the house?

He leave same time every morning 8am its just the pick of the draw on what the lanes will be like.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Failing that, set Grebo them! :D

Good idea I have 5 of them !
  • Options
    InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nanny Ogg wrote: »
    He leave same time every morning 8am its just the pick of the draw on what the lanes will be like.

I think he is just going to have to start leaving at 7:45am to get around the problem. If he really can't do this then I would suggest each time he knows he arrived late, he works the difference at the end of the day.. ie.. if he gets in at 9:05am, he doesn't start clearing his desk until 5:05pm perhaps.

Does he not enjoy his job?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here's a thought. Your boyfriend gets his lazy backside out of bed earlier and sets of earlier.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 304
    Forum Member
    When I was a sales assistant we had to be on the shop floor for 9 ready to start work, not walking into work at 9 and then going to hanging our coats up etc. The manager liked us to be there at 8.50.
  • Options
    wenchwench Posts: 8,928
    Forum Member
    Would it really hurt him to leave at 7.50am every day instead???
  • Options
    PIDGASPIDGAS Posts: 3,834
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hotbunz wrote: »
    When I was a sales assistant we had to be on the shop floor for 9 ready to start work, not walking into work at 9 and then going to hanging our coats up etc. The manager liked us to be there at 8.50.

In that case, shouldn't you have been paid from 8.50? I don't think it's on for employers to get a 'free' half hour from their employees every week.

I'm lucky that it's pretty relaxed where I work. I get into work inariably a few minutes late and then make a coffee before I start work. No one complains but it's give and take. I don't usually take the whole hour for lunch and if anyone needs me to do anything when I'm in my office over my lunch break, I do it. Everyone is grown-up about it.
  • Options
    wenchwench Posts: 8,928
    Forum Member
    PIDGAS wrote: »
    In that case, shouldn't you have been paid from 8.50? I don't think it's on for employers to get a 'free' half hour from their employees every week.

I'm lucky that it's pretty relaxed where I work. I get into work inariably a few minutes late and then make a coffee before I start work. No one complains but it's give and take. I don't usually take the whole hour for lunch and if anyone needs me to do anything when I'm in my office over my lunch break, I do it. Everyone is grown-up about it.

Ah but they get paid to "work" from 9-5. Hanging up your coat/ having a coffee etc is not considered work.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 304
    Forum Member
    PIDGAS wrote: »

There's no way that would ever happen. The manager liked to keep wage costs down so she got her monthly bonus. The staff never even got to leave at 5:30, it was more like 5:50/5:55 and they only got paid til 5:30.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I've got to play devil's advocate here.

Clock-watchers rarely make good employees (and I'm not an employer, a mere employee with the power of observation).

I'm ok with the guy who arrives dead on 9 and leaves dead on 5 as long as he wastes not a minute in between. But who is that guy? Everyone wastes time in their working day, either chatting or texting or phoning or even- amazingly on DS - but they don't count those minutes. Oh no, being on the premises is enough to fulfill your contract.

It's a two way thing. If you are counting the minutes, then so are they.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unfortunately at my place it seems that the priority is being there when they want - not how much you work or what you are doing when you are working.

I'm quite bad for being late but I always work 10-15 hours extra a week and I have a bigger workload than other people on the same contract as me. Apparently that all pales into insignificance against not being in the office at a set time. Go figure.

Bit worried that I'll be first in line for redundancy because of it - except that I have skills that no one else in the organisation has which saves the organisation having to outsource - it remains to be seen if that is enough.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    -string- wrote: »
    Unfortunately at my place it seems that the priority is being there when they want - not how much you work or what you are doing when you are working.

I'm quite bad for being late but I always work 10-15 hours extra a week and I have a bigger workload than other people on the same contract as me. Apparently that all pales into insignificance against not being in the office at a set time. Go figure.

Bit worried that I'll be first in line for redundancy because of it - except that I have skills that no one else in the organisation has which saves the organisation having to outsource - it remains to be seen if that is enough.

Well, the management is stupid and not aware of what their workforce is achieving.

But, why can't you be on time?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    sadoldbird wrote: »
    Well, the management is stupid and not aware of what their workforce is achieving.

But, why can't you be on time?
    Yes they are.

And because I like to reserve my right to resist institutionalised authority. I am an individual not a 'resource'. ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    -string- wrote: »
    Yes they are.

And because I like to reserve my right to resist institutionalised authority. I am an individual not a 'resource'. ;)

Fair enough but by the same token, they can reserve the right to manage as they see fit.

If you are both entrenched in your attitudes then you both lose.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    sadoldbird wrote: »
    Fair enough but by the same token, they can reserve the right to manage as they see fit.

If you are both entrenched in your attitudes then you both lose.
    Potentially. Though at the moment we both win. They get me and I get a job. :cool: I'm well aware that it's only because I am exceptionally well qualified and very good at my job that any organisation would even contemplate taking me on. I'm not compatable with the system so it's tough going on both sides. :D