Charity Shops - CD's galore!

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,075
Forum Member
✭✭✭
When I visit a new place/ area, I always enjoy looking through the various charity shops in the town.

Last week I bought these following albums:

Cream Summer 2006 - £1.99 (Oxfam)
Pure Garage 2000 - £1
Cream Anthems 2007 - £3
Running Trax (2010) - £2.75
MOS: Anthems II (2008) - £2.75
Kiss Hot Joints 2 - £1

Does anyone else find any bargain music in charity shops? :D

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've found a few but most of the time all the good albums have already been bought. It's always good to check though.
  • mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,913
    Forum Member
    I might pop into a charity shop tomorrow then! :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My local charity shop now does CD albums for a £1 each and singles for 50p :p
  • TrebleKingTrebleKing Posts: 2,390
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Charity shops are a goldmine for CDs, DVDs and Boxsets. Glasgow's got some outstanding charity shops.
  • abrightyzabrightyz Posts: 24,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    might go to oxfam or british heart tomorrow...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I got some good albums yesterday:

The Best of Euphoric Funky House Breakdown - £1.99
    Funky House Anthems (Mixed by Phats and Small) - £1
    Trance Nation (1999) - £1
    R&B Yearbook 2006 - £1

They also had a copy of Kisstory but disc 2 was missing so I left it behind!
  • VoodooChicVoodooChic Posts: 9,863
    Forum Member
    The domain of numerous copies of albums by Blue, Atomic Kitten, Liberty X....turn of the century pop was clearly not cherished
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, very much so! I nearly always come across an Atomic Kitten, Blue or other album from the past decade (2000s)... Mario, Lemar, Orson, S Club and Hear'Say are to name a few I saw in my local charity shops... They just sit there for weeks on end unsold, I wonder what they do with them eventually if they don't sell them? Bin them?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Today I sorted out a load of my CD collection I've owned since I was a child, and I decided to get rid of a few old ones that I would no longer like to listen to... Taio Cruz, Ne-Yo, Paramore, JoJo, Simon Webbe, Sugababes, Jamelia etc..
  • RobertfitzRobertfitz Posts: 2,732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I work in Kirkwood hoispice and we're absolutely brilliant for CDs. Any that come in we price at a quid, even new releases. Also I get first dibs AND discount so I got Demi Lovatos new LP for 85p. Can't complain like :)
  • PhilH36PhilH36 Posts: 26,191
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I volunteer in one of my local shops ad look after cds, dvds and videos.
    My local charity shop now does CD albums for a £1 each and singles for 50p :p

Albums I'll generally price at either £1, 1.50 or £2 depending on artist and title, and in some cases which edition it is. Copy of Adele's "21" came in a couple of months back, got £3 for that. Remastered version of Rolling Stones "Their Satanic Majesties Request" went for a fiver. Film soundtracks I'll generally price at £1 but had a copy of Queen's Flash Gordon soundtrack which went for £2. Doubles I'll normally put out for either £1.50 or £2. Singles generally 50p but I'll watch out for stuff that I know to be a bit rare and price it higher accordingly. Couple of Beatles singles which went for £4 each for example. We also had a cd copy of NOW 4 come in which went straight to ebay.
    They also had a copy of Kisstory but disc 2 was missing so I left it behind!

I check every single donation that comes in, muti disc sets with one or more discs missing I'll generally bin but sometimes I'll put them out at a reduced price and mark them as 'disc 2 missing', etc. If it's a box set with the discs in individual cases inside a larger box I'll sometimes sell them seperately.
    Yes, very much so! I nearly always come across an Atomic Kitten, Blue or other album from the past decade (2000s)... Mario, Lemar, Orson, S Club and Hear'Say are to name a few I saw in my local charity shops... They just sit there for weeks on end unsold, I wonder what they do with them eventually if they don't sell them? Bin them?

As with dvds you soon get to know which albums have hundreds of copies floating around on the second hand market. Blue, S Club, Madonna, Britney Spears, Kelly Clarkson 'Breakaway', Kaiser Chiefs "Employment", Jamelia, Mariah Carey, Gwen Stefani, J-Lo are among those that just keep coming in time and time again. As to unsold ones we rotate the stock around periodically and discs that have been on sale longer than a specific period are sent to another branch for them to try and sell.
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    TrebleKing wrote: »
    Charity shops are a goldmine for CDs, DVDs and Boxsets. Glasgow's got some outstanding charity shops.

They had a box set of "The Sopranos" in one of mine and they wanted the same price as Amazon.

Mary Portas has a lot to answer for!
  • IzzySIzzyS Posts: 11,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I got Kelly Clarksons Breakaway and P!nk's debut album on CD in a charity shop for a couple of quid a year or 2 ago. Poundland is worth checking too - my local branch has a stand of second hand CDs including some compilations.

Thinking about it, I wonder where they get their stock from? Charity shops? They wouldn't make a profit, surely?:confused:
  • Loz_FraggleLoz_Fraggle Posts: 5,757
    Forum Member
    I think they probably get the CDs from buying wholesale from places like Music Magpie etc.
  • IzzySIzzyS Posts: 11,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think they probably get the CDs from buying wholesale from places like Music Magpie etc.

Retailers can buy through such sites? I hadn't realised. Thats interesting, thanks for the reply :)
  • zippydoodahzippydoodah Posts: 2,778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PhilH36 wrote: »
    I volunteer in one of my local shops ad look after cds, dvds and videos.

We also had a cd copy of NOW 4 come in which went straight to ebay.

That CD is so rare. I would love to have a copy of that but as you probably done your homework, your best bet is putting it on Ebay as it regularly gets over £300 each time on there.
  • manickangaroomanickangaroo Posts: 1,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That CD is so rare. I would love to have a copy of that but as you probably done your homework, your best bet is putting it on Ebay as it regularly gets over £300 each time on there.

I would think condition matters too? A copy scratched to bits which jumps surely won't bring £300+?
  • Loz_FraggleLoz_Fraggle Posts: 5,757
    Forum Member
    IzzyS wrote: »
    Retailers can buy through such sites? I hadn't realised. Thats interesting, thanks for the reply :)

I would imagine they deal with the company direct, rather than buying through their website. I can only think that's where they (Poundland etc) source the CDs from.
  • zippydoodahzippydoodah Posts: 2,778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would think condition matters too? A copy scratched to bits which jumps surely won't bring £300+?

More Than LIkely, heres one that went recently on Ebay for £250 and has a few scratches on it.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Now-Thats-What-I-Call-Music-4-CD-MEGA-RARE-PATENT-PENDING-/130896787736?pt=UK_CDsDVDs_CDs_CDs_GL&hash=item1e7a0e7918&nma=true&si=rglEvy5SlO57J%252FZrgTS1pFoubP0%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Its so rare that the box has a patent pending symbol. Now 4 was very much a test for the market and was best of selection as the tape/vinyl edition had double the amount of tracks. The next time Now appeared on CD was Now 8 and both Now 8 and Now 9 was a single CD affair, it wasn't until Now 10 before everything was the same across all platforms.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Exactly, luckily I knew what it was worth. Once she realised I knew my stuff when it comes to cds and dvds the shop manager gradually gave me more responsibility for sorting and pricing them. When I first started there I was looking through the display and she'd put several NOW's out for £1.99 each. I remember saying to her 'If you ever see NOW 4 come in don't put that out for £1.99 whatever you do' and explained why it was worth so much. Then one day when I went in she said 'I've left a cd in the office for you to look at, is it the one you said was worth a lot'?, and there it was. As I said it went to ebay but we've not had the report back yet so I don't know how much it fetched.

One problem is that when you do get something that's worth a lot come in there's usually not much point in displaying it at an inflated price because only collectors or those in the know will know its true value, regular customers will just think you're taking the mick. Sometimes I'll add a note to the item indicating how much it would cost to buy from Amazon,Play etc, so that people have an idea of why we're asking more for it, as you do get the 'this is supposed to be a charity shop' line thrown at you every so often.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The ITV Now documentary tonight will have everyone rummaging around for Now 4 as they said it was worth 500 quid! Wish I had 3 or 4 of those.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PhilH36 wrote: »
    Exactly, luckily I knew what it was worth. Once she realised I knew my stuff when it comes to cds and dvds the shop manager gradually gave me more responsibility for sorting and pricing them. When I first started there I was looking through the display and she'd put several NOW's out for £1.99 each. I remember saying to her 'If you ever see NOW 4 come in don't put that out for £1.99 whatever you do' and explained why it was worth so much. Then one day when I went in she said 'I've left a cd in the office for you to look at, is it the one you said was worth a lot'?, and there it was. As I said it went to ebay but we've not had the report back yet so I don't know how much it fetched.

One problem is that when you do get something that's worth a lot come in there's usually not much point in displaying it at an inflated price because only collectors or those in the know will know its true value, regular customers will just think you're taking the mick. Sometimes I'll add a note to the item indicating how much it would cost to buy from Amazon,Play etc, so that people have an idea of why we're asking more for it, as you do get the 'this is supposed to be a charity shop' line thrown at you every so often.

If I saw a Now 4 in my local charity shop, in good condition, priced at £5. I'd give them £20.:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22
    Forum Member
    Not necessarily in Charity shops but have found one or two in my local Cash Converters (Mega City Four's "Who Cares Wins" CD album for £1.99p springs to mind).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another recent one today. Copy of "Unapologetic" came in, put it out for £3, sold within two hours.
  • CeeOCeeO Posts: 860
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Love hitting the charity shops once in a while and grabbing a few wads of 80s 7" singles and some LP's.