I've just stood on and cracked a Chromebook screen

2»

Comments

• neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah :D

So does that mean the law degree I'm currently studying for is irrelevant? :(

More than likely unless your looking to be an ambulance chaser or work for 'Claims are Us'

At 24 posts a day here how on earth will you find time to concentrate on your clients case.

Res ipsa loquitur poppet.
  • mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So does that mean the law degree I'm currently studying for is irrelevant? :(

I'd forgotten about that! So, come on, what's the legal standpoint in this case? Who is at fault?? :D
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    neo_wales wrote: »
    More than likely unless your looking to be an ambulance chaser or work for 'Claims are Us'

At 24 posts a day here how on earth will you find time to concentrate on your clients case.

Res ipsa loquitur poppet.

No I don't plan to become an ambulance chaser.I hope to become a solicitor and set up my own law firm. I suppose I'll have to spend less time on DS :p
    mred2000 wrote: »
    I'd forgotten about that! So, come on, what's the legal standpoint in this case? Who is at fault?? :D

I guess both are partly at fault. The housemate shouldn't have left the Chromebook on the floor, but the one who stepped on it should have watched where he/she was going :D He might have a case if he can blame the housemate :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No I don't plan to become an ambulance chaser.I hope to become a solicitor and set up my own law firm. I suppose I'll have to spend less time on DS :p

Well, that's a long-term plan... still, what, a good 10-15 years of 20+ posts a day? :D
  • cat's whiskascat's whiskas Posts: 877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Considering you can sue your council if you trip on a dodgy pavement I would say the liability is always with the person who is responsible for the obstacle, so in this case the housemate.

I agree with Tassium.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Considering you can sue your council if you trip on a dodgy pavement...

If you injure yourself, yeah...
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    mred2000 wrote: »
    Well, that's a long-term plan... still, what, a good 10-15 years of 20+ posts a day? :D

Haha maybe :D
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a shared house so I would think there is a requirement to consider others stuff, but placing a laptop on the floor near the sofa must surely mean no liability on anyone who stepped on it.

How anyone could even think the OP is liable is beyond me.

But I don't think the OP is that serious, and it might not even have happened.
  • call100call100 Posts: 7,278
    Forum Member
    I don't see the problem........House contents insurance will cover it.:).....Haven't got any? Tough, write it off to experience.....:eek::D
  • bri160356bri160356 Posts: 5,147
    Forum Member
    call100 wrote: »
    I don't see the problem........House contents insurance will cover it.:).....Haven't got any? Tough, write it off to experience.....:eek::D

Good advice on the face of it, but, have you ever made a claim on your insurance for a 'relatively' small amount? It's something you need to think carefully about.

See what happens to your 'Premium' at the next renewal date;.(and annually on-going!). It gets hiked.

'No Claims Bonus Protection' won't help either; you might still get your 40% discount, but on a much higher premium. Some insurance companies hike the premium so much you are forced to change to a new insurer. Some won't even give you a renewal option at all. It happened to me after 15 claim free years with 'Halifax'. I went from a ‘valued customer’ to a ‘liability’ overnight.
  • call100call100 Posts: 7,278
    Forum Member
    bri160356 wrote: »
    Good advice on the face of it, but, have you ever made a claim on your insurance for a 'relatively' small amount? It's something you need to think carefully about.

See what happens to your 'Premium' at the next renewal date;.(and annually on-going!). It gets hiked.

'No Claims Bonus Protection' won't help either; you might still get your 40% discount, but on a much higher premium. Some insurance companies hike the premium so much you are forced to change to a new insurer. Some won't even give you a renewal option at all. It happened to me after 15 claim free years with 'Halifax'. I went from a ‘valued customer’ to a ‘liability’ overnight.

So we shouldn't claim in case the next one will cost more???
    I change my insurer every year, both car and house, because they all hike the next premium hoping you will leave it to automatically renew...as the majority apparently do.
    It doesn't take a lot to get a new insurer.
    Insurance is just that, to insure me against something happening, I see no point in having it, just for the big things in life.
    I had a claim on my car insurance this year, protected no claims. I just renewed and got my insurance for £40 less than last years premium.
    Anyway.....Sorry for the drift............:o
  • bri160356bri160356 Posts: 5,147
    Forum Member
    call100 wrote: »
    So we shouldn't claim in case the next one will cost more???
    I change my insurer every year, both car and house, because they all hike the next premium hoping you will leave it to automatically renew...as the majority apparently do.
    It doesn't take a lot to get a new insurer.
    Insurance is just that, to insure me against something happening, I see no point in having it, just for the big things in life.
    I had a claim on my car insurance this year, protected no claims. I just renewed and got my insurance for £40 less than last years premium.
    Anyway.....Sorry for the drift............:o

Hi, fair points my friend; however I did stress in my post that one should think carefully about making household claims for relatively small amounts, and the probable impact on future premiums. It’s the balance between the two that needs to be considered (which was the main point of my post).

At no point did I say that one should NOT make insurance claims at all and I certainly did not mention Motor insurance, which is a different sphere altogether.

Many people (not all!) don’t fully understand what ‘No Claims Bonus Protection’ really implies. They mistakenly believe it offers protection from any price increase in their annual Insurance cost if they make a claim. It most definitely does not!

‘Protected No Claims Bonus’ (which often has a cost of its own built into the policy) definitely has its merits but it just means that the 40% (for example) discount will stay intact and is unaffected by a claim ; it doesn’t offer any protection to a potential huge increase in the annual premium.

As in my case with the Halifax, I had ‘no claims bonus protection’ but nonetheless my ‘small’ insurance claim resulted in a 67%:eek: rise in the actual renewal premium cost compared to the previous year. As a result I moved all my Insurance (Car/House/Buildings et al) to LV – much better deal. Mind you I’ve never had cause to make a claim yet!

However, ‘Insurance claim history’ of whichever type, stays with you for anything up to 5 years; all insurers take it into account when quoting for ‘renewal’ or ‘new’ business.

Also you state that Insurers ‘hike’ the premiums every year as a matter of course. I can only speak for myself but I have found that not to be the case, recently, or in years gone by. Any ‘hikes’ have been directly linked to ‘claims’ the previous year, even when the policy has NCD protection.

Apologies to the OP; drifted off topic a bit a bit too far.

P.S. Motoring policies have dropped generally by 9.8% in the year to July, for the first time in 20 years. Happy days!:)