Matt Dawson's petulant behaviour on A Question of Sport

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 215
Forum Member
Is anyone else getting increasingly irritated by Matt Dawson constantly throwing strops on A Question of Sport whenever things aren't going his own way? He often tries to make out that he is only 'having a laugh', but it comes across as petulance of the highest order, and his team-mates barely know where to look when he goes off on one...

I think the reason why I have noticed it more this series is because opposing captain Tuffers is such an engaging, naturally funny and ultimately likeable character.

In a nutshell - everything that Matt Dawson isn't.

Comments

• pierre_gustavepierre_gustave Posts: 4,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I cannot stand him on radio commentating on the rugby. He just rambles rubbish from start to finish.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I found him incredibly irritating when he was a player but have revised my opinion of him now he's a TV personality.

I find his competitive dad thing quite entertaining.

Funny isn't it?
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think that many times the team captains on this show have appeared to take the game very seriously, right back to the very early days of the show's history.

Even when I was a kid I watched this show and didn't understand why a team captain would get so angry if they got a question wrong.
    It just seemed as though they took the game way too seriously and a hell of a lot more so than the viewers do.
  • evangeline007evangeline007 Posts: 2,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Love Matt, Ally's a loss though to the show and they both complemented one another.
  • SloopySloopy Posts: 65,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't like Matt Dawson. He irritated me on Strictly Come Dancing as well.

He tries to be amusing but it just falls flat and makes him look like a pr*ck.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,053
    Forum Member
    darzog wrote: »
    Is anyone else getting increasingly irritated by Matt Dawson constantly throwing strops on A Question of Sport whenever things aren't going his own way? He often tries to make out that he is only 'having a laugh', but it comes across as petulance of the highest order, and his team-mates barely know where to look when he goes off on one...

I think the reason why I have noticed it more this series is because opposing captain Tuffers is such an engaging, naturally funny and ultimately likeable character.

Tufnell irritates the crap out of me, always has, but I have to say that you have Matt Dawson spot on. There is nothing wrong with being competitive, but by god when it starts making you look like a spoiled child, it really is time to rein yourself in a bit.

Dawson's true personality was starting to show a little when Ally was on the show with him, but now Tuffers has taken over, it's as if Matt Dawson finds it impossible to hide his true nature anymore.

It's incredibly embarrassing to watch, so I've stopped.
  • asp746asp746 Posts: 7,286
    Forum Member
    can't stand the man and i too thought he was up himself on strictly come dancing.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gobby little so and so when he was a player...nowt changed ;) Good rugby player though.
  • Formula1MadFormula1Mad Posts: 2,984
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Tuffnell's like that when a camera's being pointed at him but, from what i've heard, he's a nasty piece of work behind closed doors.
  • Simon JacksonSimon Jackson Posts: 8,687
    Forum Member
    If ENgland never won the 2003 Rugby World Cup, Would he have been QS captain?
  • beatlesaintbeatlesaint Posts: 677
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stopped watching Question Of Sport because of Dawson. I cannot abide him and whats all this with mummy and daddy being in the audince all the time ? (at least they always were til i got sick of the little twerp and gave up)

He has ruined a show I always enjoyed.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,633
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watching AQOS at the moment and I can't help but think that Matt Dawson is Paul Daniels love child; the big ears, the thinning hair...now thats magic.
  • Manic MinerManic Miner Posts: 1,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nothing in this thread, but yeah he does look like Paul Daniels love child :cool:
  • Tiger RoseTiger Rose Posts: 11,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stopped watching Question Of Sport because of Dawson. I cannot abide him and whats all this with mummy and daddy being in the audince all the time ? (at least they always were til i got sick of the little twerp and gave up)

Me too. I used to love QOS ever since I was a kid but don't watch now because of him. He was always a gobby git as a player too - even for a scrum half he was bad.
  • RobinMcClarnonRobinMcClarnon Posts: 629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He is well known as being a right t**??er. They should get someone decent against good old Tuffers.
  • asp746asp746 Posts: 7,286
    Forum Member
    i cant' stand him. he's only where he is because he won or got to the final of strictly come dancing. he has an army of of fans and a thread with tens of thousands of posts of admiration for him.

find him rude and ironically unsportsman like on the show.
  • SloopySloopy Posts: 65,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can't stand the bloke. He's been anywhere and everywhere since retiring from rugby, believing himself to be a minor TV celebrity and hugely popular with it.

The final straw came with Strictly Come Dancing - he was completely unbearable (not to mention rubbish, but inexplicably reaching the final ballooned his ego even further).
  • taskertasker Posts: 4,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would this be mr i press the buzzer then think of the answer in the final round, annoys the hell outa me he does :mad:
  • STEWPOT01STEWPOT01 Posts: 99
    Forum Member
    Stopped watching Question Of Sport because of Dawson.

Me too. I wish one of these days Sue Barker would get up and give him a good slap.
    So full of himself it comes out of his own ears, always thinks he's right and when he isn't the bottom lip is sweeping the floor. Total cry-baby is my impression of this clown.

However, I too have also heard that Phil Tuffnell is not very nice off camera.
  • GibmanGibman Posts: 621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dawson is a bald headed turd.
    Forum Member
    Gibman wrote: »
    Dawson is a bald headed turd.

And that's been nice :D
  • BryanandLucBryanandLuc Posts: 1,056
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Once flew from Gatwick to Newquay, and he was on the plane
    He sat on his own at the departure gate, well away from us lesser mortals, and on the plane
    A few Tom Cruise "Hi, how you doing" would have not gone astray
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

I don't think he could be king of the jungle.
  • allafixallafix Posts: 20,683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Once flew from Gatwick to Newquay, and he was on the plane
    He sat on his own at the departure gate, well away from us lesser mortals, and on the plane
    A few Tom Cruise "Hi, how you doing" would have not gone astray
    The idea that celebrities should be permanently on duty to meet and greet people who might recognise them is frankly bizarre. Isn't he allowed any time to himself in public? Have you thought how it could look if he started wandering around the plane saying "hi, how you doing" to everyone? Cynics would say he was desparate for recognition.

I saw Magic Johnson in an airport terminal once. A few people went over to him and said hello, and he appeared OK with that, but he kept himself to himself and most people respected his privacy.
    Forum Member
    allafix wrote: »
    The idea that celebrities should be permanently on duty to meet and greet people who might recognise them is frankly bizarre. Isn't he allowed any time to himself in public? Have you thought how it could look if he started wandering around the plane saying "hi, how you doing" to everyone? Cynics would say he was desparate for recognition.

I saw Magic Johnson in an airport terminal once. A few people went over to him and said hello, and he appeared OK with that, but he kept himself to himself and most people respected his privacy.

They are in the public eye and yes they should have respect and privacy, as should anyone else regardless of who they are or what they do. But that is entirely different from some of the celebs I have met - Up their own ar*e is a polite description for some of them, total tools, I have to say.