Three children found dead in London home.

Comments

• mojo5000mojo5000 Posts: 54,086
    Forum Member
    Incredibly tragic story.

I have the same condition as the kids murdered, Spinal Muscular Atrophy. I'm 26. However difficult their lives they would have lived long into adulthood and it's heartbreaking that their mother was so desperate that she cut their lives so short.
  • DaisyBillDaisyBill Posts: 4,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mojo5000 wrote: »
    Incredibly tragic story.

I have the same condition as the kids murdered, Spinal Muscular Atrophy. I'm 26. However difficult their lives they would have lived long into adulthood and it's heartbreaking that their mother so desperate to cut their lives so short.

Not everyone with this condition lives into adulthood, there are different types.
    Forum Member
    DaisyBill wrote: »
    Not everyone with this condition lives into adulthood, there are different types.

Believe me I am well aware but the ages of the children indicate they had Type 2 Intermediate, same as what I have.
  • benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DaisyBill wrote: »

There are various forms and degrees. Some children with the severest form don't even reach the age of 10. Will have to wait and see.
    Forum Member
    benjamini wrote: »
    There are various forms and degrees. Some children with the severest form don't even reach the age of 10. Will have to wait and see.

Children with Type 1 rarely live beyond the age of 2 and don't usually breathe unaided. The twins were three and the sister four and judging by the photos could breathe independently and therefore are most likely to have Type 2.
  • sofieellissofieellis Posts: 10,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The woman has been charged with the children's murders. :(
  • spookyLXspookyLX Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sofieellis wrote: »
    The woman has been charged with the children's murders. :(

really feel for the dad and the rest of the family :(
  • sofieellissofieellis Posts: 10,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    spookyLX wrote: »

Absolutely. The other child has lost all 3 siblings and effectively lost Mum as well. :cry:
  • U96U96 Posts: 13,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She obviously wasn't of sound mind at the time of the murders.She'll be remanded into secure psychiatric care today no doubt.
    Poor wee souls.
  • yorkiegalyorkiegal Posts: 18,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    U96 wrote: »
    She obviously wasn't of sound mind at the time of the murders.She'll be remanded into secure psychiatric care today no doubt.
    Poor wee souls.

However, if it turns out that she planned to do it whilst her husband and other child were away in South Africa, she will have a hard time arguing that she was temporarily insane.

I read up a little about the medical condition the kids had and it appears to range quite a lot in severity, so screening whilst pregnant wouldn't neccessarily make the decision of whether to abort or not any easier. It must be heartbreaking to have 4 kids and find out that at least 3 of them have serious life limiting conditions. I can't imagine how I would cope with that. I think if I was a mother and watched my child live in constant pain or with little quality of life I could seriously consider ending their life for their own benefit. But the condition these kids had doesn't seem to have fit that criteria.
  • MallaryMallary Posts: 68
    Forum Member
    Awful, poor mites.
  • ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
    Forum Member
    Poor wee souls.

Yet if the dad had done it, people would be all fire and brimstone.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yorkiegal wrote: »
    However, if it turns out that she planned to do it whilst her husband and other child were away in South Africa, she will have a hard time arguing that she was temporarily insane.

I read up a little about the medical condition the kids had and it appears to range quite a lot in severity, so screening whilst pregnant wouldn't neccessarily make the decision of whether to abort or not any easier. It must be heartbreaking to have 4 kids and find out that at least 3 of them have serious life limiting conditions. I can't imagine how I would cope with that. I think if I was a mother and watched my child live in constant pain or with little quality of life I could seriously consider ending their life for their own benefit. But the condition these kids had doesn't seem to have fit that criteria.

I just find it hard to believe.That a mother could give birth, and raise her children to this stage.All the time with all the full support that a high income background brings.
    Then to say 'I know what,i'll murder them whilst hubby is away.Then i'll try to kill myself'.
    That's not a sane/rational mind.Far from it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ænima wrote: »
    Sadly they probably would.But this is an unusual case.Male or female.
    You hear of people killing their children because of debt or failed marraiges,custody battles etc.There's no excuse for that.None at all.
    But this case has mental instability written all over it.In which case we have to hand it over to the professionals.
  • ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
    Forum Member
    Sadly they probably would.But this is an unusual case.Male or female.
    You hear of people killing their children because of debt or failed marraiges,custody battles etc.There's no excuse for that.None at all.
    But this case has mental instability written all over it.In which case we have to hand it over to the professionals.

I'm betting on, disabled kids, mother 'could not cope'.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I got a hard time a few weeks ago.For starting a thread on what you'd do if you had 'horribly disabled' children.Give them up for adoption or carry on.
    I stand by my comments and I have nothing but the utmost respect and admiration for people who 'fight the good fight'and give it their best shot.
    But I fear things have obviously got on top of this woman.Probably didn't even show any outward signs of distress.
    I'm not going to say I feel sorry for her.But as others have said 'never judge someone till you've walked a mile in their shoes'.:(
  • CentaurionCentaurion Posts: 2,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Or, disabled kids, Mother acting on their best interests saved them from years of utter misery and a slow death ?

Sounds bad, but you have to consider that.
  • imrightokimrightok Posts: 8,492
    Forum Member
    Centaurion wrote: »
    Or, disabled kids, Mother acting on their best interests saved them from years of utter misery and a slow death ?

Even if that is the case, she'll be locked up (somewhere) for a while.
  • Goblin QueenGoblin Queen Posts: 633
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    flowerpowa wrote: »
    Some women are made of sterner stuff and can cope with every eventuality that life throws at them, some cannot, we all have a breaking point. We will all soon learn why this tragic event happened.

This.

I cannot possibly condone what she did in any way but I can try to understand it. Maybe if more people also tried to exercise understanding over judgement we'd hear less of these tragic stories.
  • Frankie_LittleFrankie_Little Posts: 9,271
    Forum Member
    I don't think so.

Whichever parent decides to terminate a child's life, it's a cruel decision to make and an abhorrent one.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    spookyLX wrote: »

Agreed. It must be devastating beyond words for them. :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think so.

Whichever parent decides to terminate a child's life, it's a cruel decision to make and an abhorrent one.

It's not something most of us could ever begin to understand (although trying to might be helpful) but as another poster wisely said everyone has a breaking point.
  • dekafdekaf Posts: 8,398
    Forum Member

I agree. It must be so hard to accept, and to have to watch this happening to your children must be just devastating. What a heartbreaking situation all round.
  • rupert_pupkinrupert_pupkin Posts: 3,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Poor wee souls.

Shall we apply that logic to every murderer?

Bit dangerous imo
    Forum Member

But as yorkiegal has pointed out, it's not really the case with SMA. I have it, as I said previously. I'm 26. I'm not miserable nor am I dying slowly. I've been through mainstream education, university, employment etc.

These children may have been weaker than I am but as a probable Type 2 it's not as if they were weeks/months away from death. The press aren't doing a very good job at the moment describing the condition. The idea that infants with SMA Type 2 (which is what the children were likely to have had) would have died before adulthood is untrue. It's outdated information that even The Guardian, as an example, are peddling.

I have sympathy for the whole family but the idea she was putting them out of their misery is false.