Do you think it would be better not to win?

sueh21sueh21 Posts: 2,565
Forum Member
✭✭✭
It is a bit of a double edged sword winning something like this.
Nancy is not the leading part in this show, its not on until December and the winner willl be forever associated with this reality show. As Connie Fisher is finding now,the public are quite fickle and you can soon be forgotten
I think there is more chance of longevity in a career for the runners up.

Comments

• rolacola1987rolacola1987 Posts: 340
    Forum Member
    I agree, the winner will be seriously typecasted, the others will have to go and audience for other roles (which some will have occurred as a result of the show) but they will probs get more respect for going through the traditional process of auditions

if that made sense... it did in my head lol
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It depends whether you want to win the part and be remembered for having won a part from a TV casting competition and get a quick jump to fame

OR

Whether you're less naive and want to be big in the west end and not typecast but also less well known in the non-theater going public. I don't really remember the non-winning Marias and I only remember a couple of non-winning Josephs. When they were on tonight I was thinking "Were these people ever on ADWD?"
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,007
    Forum Member
    I've said this before elsewhere, but I actually think the Nancies who have left the competition already are going to end up with better careers than the eventual winner. Look at Amy and Tara (and apparently Ashley, though that's not confirmed) already! And if Fran and Sarah haven't landed roles in other productions soon I'll be very surprised!
  • thenetworkbabethenetworkbabe Posts: 45,600
    Forum Member
    LaLaLaur wrote: »
    I've said this before elsewhere, but I actually think the Nancies who have left the competition already are going to end up with better careers than the eventual winner. Look at Amy and Tara (and apparently Ashley, though that's not confirmed) already! And if Fran and Sarah haven't landed roles in other productions soon I'll be very surprised!

Not to mention Katie (posh Nancy) and Nancy Nancy who didn't even get let in but are off to the West End.

This Nancy is a bit odd too because several of the Nancy candidates only look right/have the training for Nancy or someone similar. That means not looking like Nancy (Tara) or getting some coverage (Amy) or showing non Nancy talents like comedy may make you look more useful .

Too early to tell with The Maria's as some went back into training and some are in first roles but Aoife, Abi and Helena have pretty good credits piling up.
  • thenetworkbabethenetworkbabe Posts: 45,600
    Forum Member
    If anyone is interested I see Helena is on radio 2 with Elaine Paige on Sunday. Interesting to compare her (presumably singing something from South Pacific as she is in it) with the Nancys also reportedly singing something from South Pacific the same night.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not to mention Katie (posh Nancy) and Nancy Nancy who didn't even get let in but are off to the West End.

This Nancy is a bit odd too because several of the Nancy candidates only look right/have the training for Nancy or someone similar. That means not looking like Nancy (Tara) or getting some coverage (Amy) or showing non Nancy talents like comedy may make you look more useful .

Too early to tell with The Maria's as some went back into training and some are in first roles but Aoife, Abi and Helena have pretty good credits piling up.

What's Katie up to now?

I think on these shows it's the best to be in it as far as possible, but not win - Connie will be forever associated as the Reality TV Maria, and while Lee may be gathering up a new, non-ADWD fanbase, he's kind of stuck with Joseph for a while now (and I think Joseph is a dire show). I think Daniel and Ben have done much better for themselves - got the coverage but ultimately got roles that suited them far more than Joseph would have done.

The winner of IDA will be minutely scrutinised every time they blink on opening night and there would be a lot of pressure. It could be really stressful, particularly if the role wasn't suitable for the girl in the first place.
  • Slow AlexSlow Alex Posts: 1,483
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lol! CF career is really on the skids! Methinks this is a bunch of bitter Sarah Lark or Jodie fans who the penny has now dropped that her whole northern act is not endearing but bloody annoying. ;)
  • twingletwingle Posts: 19,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well it certainly hasn't done Daniel and Ben any harm but I would say they have a brilliant agent . Both were signed from ADWD to the same agent as John Barrowman. And that in this day and age is the crux of success. i t will be interesting to see if he signs any of the Nancy's
  • Slow AlexSlow Alex Posts: 1,483
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    twingle wrote: »
    Well it certainly hasn't done Daniel and Ben any harm but I would say they have a brilliant agent . Both were signed from ADWD to the same agent as John Barrowman. And that in this day and age is the crux of success. i t will be interesting to see if he signs any of the Nancy's

Normally it would be hard for the winner to avoid being typecast, however, Lee Mead is very popular and i know BBC are wanting to use him in dramas when he leaves.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,718
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the spoiler thread says that niamh has been given a role - wont say what in incase someone doesnt want to know - but its in the spoiler thread
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really do feel that it is Jodie or Rachel who will handle the pressure the best. They seem tough and take critisism well. Once in the role and not on the TV the winner will not have the TV public following once her family and fans have been to see the show. A lot of viewers live far from London and cannot afford to go and see the show even if they want to.
  • miavivmiaviv Posts: 3,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the spoiler thread says that niamh has been given a role - wont say what in incase someone doesnt want to know - but its in the spoiler thread

You will be told off for this sassy (not by me, as I don't mind) but be warned, some people don't like to see spoiler info anywhere else except if they go looking for it !
  • TheBlueOneTheBlueOne Posts: 2,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Winning all depends on what you want, and if you really want the role. I am sure that Connie and Lee aren't sitting at home thinking "Oh, if only I didn't win"

Whilst 'losers' have been given roles elsewhere, life is a lot easier for you if you are the 'winner.'
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,330
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You've just revealed in a nonspoiler, compeletly unrelated thread, withouth any warning or use of spoiler tags who has left this week. :mad::mad:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 144
    Forum Member
    Actually i would say that its better to win.

Didn't anyone else find it strange that the Josephs on the show last night have leading roles in the west end at the moment, but they dont seem to be performing on a saturday night (main theatre night) Slightly odd to me.
    xx
  • RodriguezMan267RodriguezMan267 Posts: 28,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I personally think it would be better to win. There's no gurentee that you will get another role as a runner-up and to perform in the West End is a popular, strong role such as Nancy along side Rowan Atkinson; must be fantastic. Also depends how long you want to stay with the show as I'm sure many people will be buying tickets to watch the winner in the role for about 2/3 years to come.
  • johartukjohartuk Posts: 11,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's better to win, if the role you're going for is one you really want to play. If you don't have any particular preference for the role and just see it as a means to getting into the WE (or the entertainment industry in general), then it's probably better not to win.

It was obvious from the start that Lee (ADWD winner) was passionate about the role of Joseph - he'd appeared in a touring version of the show (as Pharoah) previously and he clearly went into ADWD with that in mind. Clearly, for him, winning that role was what he wanted - and he was a worthy winner.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ashrell wrote: »
    What's Katie up to now?

She's about to start understudying for Leila and Robyn as Christine in Phantom of the Opera! Not bad for a callback Nancy audition!!

As for the question at hand: I'm not sure. Connie won't do terribly well because IMO she's not really suitable for much other than Maria, and she's left that behind. She could probably pull off Mary Poppins, but she's not a versatile MT performer, and as such probably won't achieve longevity.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 200
    Forum Member
    Some performers would do better if they didn't win - Sam, for example, is fantastic but her talent could be much better used in a different show. I'm sure she'd be fine as Nancy, but it's not the best role for her.

Jessie I think needs training, and would be slaughtered by the critics unless she really improved quickly with her acting etc. She would probably be better not to win.

The other three I think could do the role really well (Niamh slightly less so than the other two), and I think for them the best thing would be to win. I hope Jodie wins, because she's the one I can't really see doing many other parts on the west end.
  • Angelica123Angelica123 Posts: 857
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it depends on the candidate. Some of the contestants in the shows who are talented are just not suited to the role on offer. And therefore, for them it is better for them not to win, but rather pursue roles that suit them better. At the same time, there are no guarantees and while most of the contestants seem to have gotten work off the back of this show, there is no reason to believe that this will continue.

It will be interesting to see how the contestants fare in a couple of years. I wonder whether it will be a different story.

I think winning is a double edged sword. On the one hand, you have a guaranteed role, and you are getting exposure and experience. And at least at the beginning, people will see you as marketable, because you already have a pre-made fanbase/. On the other hand, many people will write you off because of your reality tv links and your performances scrutinised. There is also the risk of being typecast
  • fredsterfredster Posts: 31,802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    miaviv wrote: »
    You will be told off for this sassy (not by me, as I don't mind) but be warned, some people don't like to see spoiler info anywhere else except if they go looking for it !

Sassysteph has totally ruined tonights results for me. Her remarks should not have been printed in a non spoiler thread and I hope she /he feels VERY guilty why did you have to do that?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 477
    Forum Member
    LaLaLaur wrote: »

Who has employed Tara?
  • fredsterfredster Posts: 31,802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You've just revealed in a nonspoiler, compeletly unrelated thread, withouth any warning or use of spoiler tags who has left this week. :mad::mad:

Yes and I am really p....d off I like to watch the results show not knowing who will go.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fredster wrote: »
    Sassysteph has totally ruined tonights results for me. Her remarks should not have been printed in a non spoiler thread and I hope she /he feels VERY guilty why did you have to do that?

I don't think anyone does it on purpose :rolleyes: Unless it was intentional, no-one has any need to feel guilty. Bad, maybe, but not guilty.

^ yorkgirl, Tara is the Narrator on the touring production of Joseph.